• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S III (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

Just looks like the S3 had the brightness down and the Note 2 had it maxed, unless you're referring to something other than how bright the screens were.

Still, the subpixel improvements to the Note's pentile display are very good and I think it will make an appreciable difference.
the Note 2 is measurably brighter.

8KXGE.png

DAT PIXEL ARRANGEMENT

http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_note_ii_n7100-review-806p2.php

don't worry, in October, we can get the mods to change the 'S III' to 'Note II' in the thread title.

Ricky_R

For new page.

Ok I'm going to keep this simple. I've been having some reception issues with my S3. Interception in middle of many calls, calls dropped, text messages won't be received or sent. Anyway, general reception/signal issues.

I started doing some reading on the web and, to my surprise, it's a known issue. So my questions are... Is there an update out, to fix this issue? Is anybody here having the same issues? etc, etc. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Socreges

Banned
I've been told that there's a way to minimize videos to a corner window and use other applications while watching. True? How is this done?

Turned my phone on today and all of a sudden a creepy voice announces every text message that I receive... Please tell me there is a way to disable this.

For new page.

Ok I'm going to keep this simple. I've been having some reception issues with my S3. Interception in middle of many calls, calls dropped, text messages won't be received or sent. Anyway, general reception/signal issues.

I started doing some reading on the web and, to my surprise, it's a known issue. So my questions are... Is there an update out, to fix this issue? Is anybody here having the same issues? etc, etc. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

TMO S3 user here, had some of the same issues at first as well. You have a few options:

1: roll back your carrier update then retry the carrier update

2: Wait for a new carrier update

3: Root, install Custom Recovery, and flash a new radio

I did the third, and with the tools included on my rom i can turn my mic from near silent to "OMG YOUR VOICE IS TOO LOUD" and its still crystal clear.

Ricky_R

TMO S3 user here, had some of the same issues at first as well. You have a few options:

1: roll back your carrier update then retry the carrier update

2: Wait for a new carrier update

3: Root, install Custom Recovery, and flash a new radio

I did the third, and with the tools included on my rom i can turn my mic from near silent to "OMG YOUR VOICE IS TOO LOUD" and its still crystal clear.

Really appreciate the help. Will try the first, and at a last resort, will root. Thanks a lot.

LogicStep

Can anyone tell me why I went from around 60-80% to 40% in 4 hours? Most of the 4 hours the phone was locked not being used.

It isn't a bad battery because I was on CM10 Jelly Bean and the battery was behaving fine. I went back to stock because I got tired of the damn bugs but now the battery is doing this.

I do notice I get a lot of email notifications and update notifications. Maybe I'm getting the battery drained by that? I don't know how to stop them, or lessen them. I checked the settings for the apps but I don't see it.

Gattsu25

Banned
The stock wall charger adapter decided to stop working. The cable, itself, is still good.

I have a flight I need to leave for in 20 minutes and my phone only has 15% battery life.

I have the phone connected to one of my family's PCs but in this short amount of time I'm not sure how much good that will do.

Anyone else had the adapter shit out on them? When I try using it the stupid thing seems to flap between working and not working with the net result of not charging a fucking thing.

sun-drop

JB on the S3 is pretty much ready to go.

previous JB stock roms from samsung have been updating almost daily lately, all with a few bugs and slugish preformance ..

but not LI5 ... this thing flys, and prob the better battery live i've seen on the s3 since i brought it at launch. plus a bunch of extra touches i ahven't seen in previous leaks.

http://www.sammobile.com/2012/09/09...s-iii-android-4-1-1-jelly-bean-test-firmware/

totally recommend this as a daily driver. but official update shud be days if not hours away i think.

sooooooooo smooth. phone feels like butter in my hands

The stock wall charger adapter decided to stop working. The cable, itself, is still good.

I have a flight I need to leave for in 20 minutes and my phone only has 15% battery life.

I have the phone connected to one of my family's PCs but in this short amount of time I'm not sure how much good that will do.

Anyone else had the adapter shit out on them? When I try using it the stupid thing seems to flap between working and not working with the net result of not charging a fucking thing.

i have one of these for emergencies!

uXNxx.jpg

Monoprice is about to be sued.

hahahhahahahahaha

lol, dat home button

indeed. (it's actually a power button.)

I have a Duracell charger that can charge a dead gs3 from 0% to 75%

I've only used it once.

this can charge a dead GS3 to 100% ... twice ... and then some!

i've already used this once and i have a trip later this month where i'm guaranteed to use it again.

LogicStep

JB on the S3 is pretty much ready to go.

previous JB stock roms from samsung have been updating almost daily lately, all with a few bugs and slugish preformance ..

but not LI5 ... this thing flys, and prob the better battery live i've seen on the s3 since i brought it at launch. plus a bunch of extra touches i ahven't seen in previous leaks.

http://www.sammobile.com/2012/09/09...s-iii-android-4-1-1-jelly-bean-test-firmware/

totally recommend this as a daily driver. but official update shud be days if not hours away i think.

sooooooooo smooth. phone feels like butter in my hands
Hurry up Samsung and AT&T!

torontoml

how can I get my phone to stop scanning for new wireless networks when I'm already connected to one?

I also keep getting an authentication error on the one I am connected to after being connected for anywhere between 10 sec to an hour. Then it reconnects again when I turn the wifi on and off.

Also, my battery life has gotten worse over the last few days, and after using better battery stats, it shows that my CPU state of 384 MHz is at like 98%, what is this state and why would it always be on?

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
how can I get my phone to stop scanning for new wireless networks when I'm already connected to one?

I also keep getting an authentication error on the one I am connected to after being connected for anywhere between 10 sec to an hour. Then it reconnects again when I turn the wifi on and off.

Also, my battery life has gotten worse over the last few days, and after using better battery stats, it shows that my CPU state of 384 MHz is at like 98%, what is this state and why would it always be on?

That is a wake lock probably being caused from some errant app you recently installed.

LogicStep

I'm trying to install a more recent JB ROM but it's proving impossible for some reason. I installed the Clockwork mod recovery and rooted the phone and have that superuser thing. I downloaded the nightlybuild but for some reason it always fails/aborts when I try to install it from the recovery menu. Is there something I'm missing? Is there some other ROM that's better than a nightlybuild?

malyce

I'm trying to install a more recent JB ROM but it's proving impossible for some reason. I installed the Clockwork mod recovery and rooted the phone and have that superuser thing. I downloaded the nightlybuild but for some reason it always fails/aborts when I try to install it from the recovery menu. Is there something I'm missing? Is there some other ROM that's better than a nightlybuild?

What phone?

edit: GS3, your download was probably corrupted, try downloading again or try a different ROM.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth

Probably have the wrong rom version for your phone.

LogicStep

Next time note the exact error you're receiving. This is important for any troubleshooting.

Alright, I'll keep that in mind, thanks.

I'm having a new problem now. I downloaded the file again but I can't copy it to the phone. Windows says, Cannot copy item. The device has either stopped responding or has been disconnected. Neither are true. I rebooted the phone, nothing.

LogicStep

Ok I restarded the PC and I was able to copy it but this is the error I was getting before that I just got again.

assert failed: getprop("ro.product.device") == "d2att" || getprop(ro.build.product") == "d2att" E:Error in /emmc/cm-10/20120911-EXPERIMENTAL-d2att-M1.zip
(status 7)
Installation aborted.

Yes I downloaded the experimental since it was the latest one and I didn't notice what I clicked but this is the same error I got with the nightly one.

Spinluck

I spent almost the whole day at work on my computer looking at the Galaxy Note II, I've decided to get it over the S3. It's my kinda phone.. well at least I think. Don't mind the size.

The Screen Recorder was just the cherry on top, hopefully it comes to the US, I also heard S3 will get the same kinda updates, so that's cool.

Cannot wait to record my screen while I draw crude images ,and then send them to my friends./Scumbag Spindasher

kaskade

Well I went to play with this phone in person and I must say it was pretty damn nice. I figure there's a 99% chance T-Mobile won't be getting the iPhone but I wanted to hold out anyway just to see what's happening.

Going from playing with the GS3 to the iPhone made the iPhone UI seem so boring. I think I'm going to get the phone through Best Buy if I do since they offer trade in on my old phone which should pay for most, if not all, of the GS3. The only downside is that they don't seem to stock the T-Mobile version in stores so they will have to ship it to my house. No instant gratification for me.

A.Romero

Ok I restarded the PC and I was able to copy it but this is the error I was getting before that I just got again.

assert failed: getprop("ro.product.device") == "d2att" || getprop(ro.build.product") == "d2att" E:Error in /emmc/cm-10/20120911-EXPERIMENTAL-d2att-M1.zip
(status 7)
Installation aborted.

Yes I downloaded the experimental since it was the latest one and I didn't notice what I clicked but this is the same error I got with the nightly one.

Try getting the latest recovery first.

A.Romero

I went ahead and got that ROM Manager app from the playstore by clockworkmod and holy shit it made it so easy. Now I'm just checking if the phone is missing anything or what I should I add to make it more usable.

So it worked?

Great!

Top Bottom