• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S III (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

reKon

Banned
I've had an iPhone 3G for four years now, and I'm finally ready to upgrade to a new phone. The new iPhone isn't doing it for me, but this interests me greatly. It'll be my first Android phone, though, and from what I hear that operating system can be a pain in the ass, so that's made me kind of wary. The simple, easy-to-use nature of the iPhone was something I'm very comfortable with.

Is Android as intimidating as I hear, or it is so simple my mom can use it?

I use my mom as a perfect example to address people who try to bullshit the complexities of Android. Her first smart phone was a Droid Incredible that she really liked and found it easy to use. The screen on that cracked (still works), but she upgraded to the 4S and she was confused during the first few days of use and found that Incredible was easier in terms of navigating to certain areas. Why? Because she was using a new interface and she just had to take the time to learn how to do things. Unfortunately, people don't understand this concept to day and love to run their mouths about stuff they don't have experience with.

Part of the reason people may think Android is confusing lies with the fact that they've been accustomed to iOS ever since it first appeared on iPod Touches (which have sold well). When there's something different, it's easy for a person to just say, wow this definitely more difficult.

So therefore, don't worry you'll be fine.

So if I switch from the iPhone, is there some sort of adapter that would allow me to use the S3 with my doc and accesories?

So far the only things preventing me from jumping ship is that I'm so entrenched with iPhone extras and apps.

So if I switch from the iPhone, is there some sort of adapter that would allow me to use the S3 with my doc and accesories?

So far the only things preventing me from jumping ship is that I'm so entrenched with iPhone extras and apps.

nope, there's nothing like this for the GS3.

jbfCfZ8wqOeBPM.png

you'll need all new accessories.

Emwitus

So i see why some competitors wanted this phone of the market. Anyways, I've never had a smartphone.....what you say gaf? Is S3 a good intro to the smartphone buiz?

Cipherr

Apples accessories and cables are mostly proprietary AFAIK. They make them so they only work with their products for the most part.

So i see why some competitors wanted this phone of the market. Anyways, I've never had a smartphone.....what you say gaf? Is S3 a good intro to the smartphone biz?

Fantastic entry mate. Im actually surprised at how well the S3 holds to the 5. They normally massively leap frog one another in features and whatnot. Thats clearly not the case here. Im steel reeling from them actually having a segment on adding Panorama to the camera, and having next to nothing new for iOS6.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
So i see why some competitors wanted this phone of the market. Anyways, I've never had a smartphone.....what you say gaf? Is S3 a good intro to the smartphone buiz?

It'll be like buying a Rolls Royce for your first car. Go for it!

After the wet fart of an update that is the iPhone 5, yes I'd say the GS3 is the best choice to get into the smartphone world.

Emwitus

Thanks gaf! Tomorrow's the day! Can't wait. I've been hating on smartphones for a bit but i think it's about time. Phone bill be danged.

LM4sure

Banned
Really glad I didn't wait for the iPhone 5 announcement before getting the s iii. I would be kicking myself for waiting a week and a half!

What accessories are you concerned about losing/replacing? A lot of Android accessories are quite cheap and there are tons of options.

I spent $150 on a decent klipsch iPod doc and another $75 on another one. Two car chargers that double as aux inputs both ran me 50+ a piece too. I'm mostly concerned with the Klipsch doc though. What's a comparable on the S3?

-GOUKI-

You know the Galaxy S3 is more powerful and has a better camera than the Galaxy Nexus but i think aethestically, the Galaxy Nexus is sexier looking.

Jeff-DSA

You know the Galaxy S3 is more powerful and has a better camera than the Galaxy Nexus but i think aethestically, the Galaxy Nexus is sexier looking.

The biggest draw to the Nexus is that you know that you'll never be behind on software updates. I think I'm going to hold out for the next Nexus phone and upgrade at that point. My GS2 has been a fantastic phone, no complaints, but I'm starting to value software over hardware.

AndyD

aka andydumi
I spent $150 on a decent klipsch iPod doc and another $75 on another one. Two car chargers that double as aux inputs both ran me 50+ a piece too. I'm mostly concerned with the Klipsch doc though. What's a comparable on the S3?

Is it a speaker dock, or a dock connecting to a receiver?

As to the car ones, it depends on whether your car has a USB port and what type of inputs your car supports. If so, check out the app here for the S3:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1711009
Any basic USB cable (including the one that comes with the phone will then work as a charger/USB music transfer cable).

Mirk

So I got this phone over the weekend. Put FreeGS3 rom on it and everything I throw at it runs amazingly well. N64 and psx emulators run near full speed. Even that leaked dreamcast emu runs 30+ frames :D love this phone! The only thing I dislike is it feels to light. Like I might snap it lol

SUPREME1

Banned
I'm up for a phone upgrade in December (as I stated in the iPhone5 thread).

After the unveil today, I'm not overly excited about what it offers.

What will be the top Android phones in December? Will it still be the S3 or HTC 4G LTE? Or is there something coming up in a couple of months?

At this point, it'd be a toss up bretween the HTC and the iPhone5.

i have good news for you... with the new dock connector, you'll have to spend a bunch money on making the accessories work with that too! plus some of them could be somewhat unstable, like that speaker dock...

I want to see a photoshop of what an iPhone w/ that adapter would look like on one of those speakers...cmon photoshop gaf make it happen.

Cr0wn0

Who here is getting a S3 after today's iPhone 5 unveiling?

I got mine like 6 weeks ago and I'm glad I did. My frustrations were more software based then anything else. Love everything I can do on my S3. I might return to Apple depending on what they do with iOS7.

I'm still waiting for some crazy augmented reality stuff that legitimately improves my life in some small way. That is really the only revolutionary thing that'll sell me on a phone.

What will be the top Android phones in December? Will it still be the S3 or HTC 4G LTE? Or is there something coming up in a couple of months?

i'm sure that some of the top phones haven't even been announced yet.

and there's also the Galaxy Note II

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth

S3 and new Nexus.

And holy shit the chrome update actually makes Swype work with mobile Gaf. Most excellent.

snack

Does the "TAP TO TOP" motion gesture only work with the contacts list? I can't get it working on my internet browser...

SUPREME1

Banned
Yes, I've seen many phones for dirty cheap on wireless.amazon.com and would take pricing into consideration.

The Nexus looks sweet for $50. Yes, you read that right. $50.

Lastly,

What phones run JellyBean, if any? Or is JellyBean for tablets only?

kehs

Banned

Jellybean is for any device.

Off the top of my head: Nexus Line, Some Asus tablets, S3 is getting/got it? soon, most 2011 moto devices will get it. Same for 2011 high end samsung devices, Most tablets will get it too Xoom got it and it was the first "HC tablet".

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Yes, I've seen many phones for dirty cheap on wireless.amazon.com and would take pricing into consideration.

The Nexus looks sweet for $50. Yes, you read that right. $50.

Lastly,

Only Nexus phones have jelly bean at the moment. S3 should have it soon, perhaps next month.

If you go down the geek rabbit hole and learn to flash roms you can always keep your phone up to date with the latest version, but that often comes with caveats to start.

Y'all don't have to use touchwiz. First thing I did was install a Go Launcher. The 4X4 layout is a silly restriction in Touchwiz. I use the superior 6X4 layout. You lose some of the touchwiz only widgets like the calender, but you keep some too.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Y'all don't have to use touchwiz. First thing I did was install a Go Launcher. The 4X4 layout is a silly restriction in Touchwiz. I use the superior 6X4 layout. You lose some of the touchwiz only widgets like the calender, but you keep some too.

Touch wiz extends further than the launcher, but yes, the first thing most people should do is replace their launcher. I like Apex.

kaskade

Well, I ordered my S3 from best buy. Only ended up having to pay 80 bucks for it. They don't stock T-Mobile in store so it's being shipped to my house. I doubt it'll be here by the weekend but maybe I'll get lucky.

Do you guys use any cases or screen protectors? I feel like I always get a case when I first get the phone, then once the newness wears off I ditch it.

zedge

My buddy just got his blue S3, he was like a giddy school girl, coming from an iPhone 3G. I said 'Welcome to the real world Neo', he laughed.

True story. :p

Top Bottom