• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S III (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

zedge

http://www.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-s3-vs-iphone-5

iphone5-vs-sgs3.png

surly

Banned
I thought the s3 was quad core?
The international version is quad core and has 1GB of RAM. The US version is dual core and has 2GB of RAM.

There's also an LTE version coming out in international markets soon. I don't know if that will be the same as the US version, or whether it will combine the best of both and have quad core and 2GB of RAM.

Spinluck

That size is overkill though! lol

Perhaps it is for some people, I personally am fine with it seeing as how I don't have a tablet. Since, well, I never really needed one.

But I like the direction Samsung is taking with it, and after watching the hands on video from Samsung Mobile. It sorta sold me on it. I like the functionality, and some of the features that it's getting that's unique to it.

They improved about every problem or worry I had with the Galaxy Note. And aside from all the cool features(screen recorder yay) it is pretty much an S3 with a bigger screen and battery. As a technophile, it appeals to me.

I waited today, to see if I could be convinced to buy an iPhone 5, but besides the phones beautiful sexy and sleek design.. they didn't really sell me on it. I need more than looks and whatnot, but whatever, I think it'll be a good phone. I just don't feel it's the best phone for me, or the best phone I could get. Anyways, by the time I'm due for an upgrade, I'm sure the iPhone 6 will be announced anyways, so I'll see what they do then. :p

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Well Iphone 5 being a disappointment pretty much tells me what I needed to know. I'll have an SIII before the end of the week.

CRS

My old Droid X is crapping out on me and I was about to get this phone until I found out about Verizon's new data tiers. I knew they got rid of the unlimited plan but holy shit, I didn't know they were this horrible.

Hopefully I'll be able to find something without getting a new contract losing my unlimited plan.

scoobs

My old Droid X is crapping out on me and I was about to get this phone until I found out about Verizon's new data tiers. I knew they got rid of the unlimited plan but holy shit, I didn't know they were this horrible.

Hopefully I'll be able to find something without getting a new contract losing my unlimited plan.

You could keep ur plan if u pre-ordered the s3 before like... July 20th or something. I kept mine, and I now have the best phone on the market with the best deal :)

keuja

Couple things to note:

In android, if you don't like an app (even a system one), you can change it to something else as default.

Holding the home button brings up multitasking

Enjoy!
When in the multitasking window, swipe left or right on any application to close it (I love this feature).

Altazor

I've had the S3 for a couple of weeks now and I love it. I got used to the screen really fast and when a friend of mine lent me his iPhone 4S for a few minutes I just couldn't stand the screen size
3AQmK.gif
(that and the lack of buttons :p) Hell, I had to use my previous phone (an OG Galaxy S) today for a short while and the change was noticeable. That's not to say the SGS is a bad or outdated phone, it's just that the S3 excels.

I'm currently using one of those JellyBean leaks (I9300XXDLI5 firmware) and it's fast and stable. The changes to the notification bar are great too.

CRS

You could keep ur plan if u pre-ordered the s3 before like... July 20th or something. I kept mine, and I now have the best phone on the market with the best deal :)

Damn. :( :( :(

My phone wasn't acting up until this last month so I had no reason to upgrade. But now, even with a factory reset, it's not the same so I'm due for an upgrade.

CRS

Verizon rapes you now if you aren't in a data shared plan. I'd jump ship if you plan on upgrading.

How so? I have my unlimited data plan and if I get a new phone without changing my current contract, my current plan applies to my new phone. I use quite bit of data, roughly 4 GB or so , so me keeping my current plan is best for me right now. I went to Verizon store and the gentleman there said my unlimited plan even applies to 4G/LTE.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
F ME in the ear. These phones look slicker than a wet fanny!

I'm currently debating on getting an iphone 5 or this line of phone. Such a nice time to be shopping for one of these bad boys.

How so? I have my unlimited data plan and if I get a new phone without changing my current contract, my current plan applies to my new phone. I use quite bit of data, roughly 4 GB or so , so me keeping my current plan is best for me right now. I went to Verizon store and the gentleman there said my unlimited plan even applies to 4G/LTE.

Did you not read my last sentence?

LM4sure

Banned
I pay $100 for 2gb on Verizon (before corporate discount). Well worth paying a lot more since the 4g networks from the other carriers is shit. I'll pay a lot more if I can have fast speeds! May have to bump up my data plan though because I'm downloading A LOT!

CRS

Did you not read my last sentence?

I guess I should have clarified. By upgrade, I mean getting the phone without a new contract (retail price). I need to do some number crunching but I'm sure it'll be cheaper if I get the new phone at a retail price than using my Verizon upgrade and having to go onto Verizon's new data tier.

M_A_C

So after seeing the iPhone 5 today and being completely underwhelmed, I was thinking of going with the S3 as an upgrade to my iPhone 4. I have the AT&T unlimited from my original iPhone and would obviously like to keep it. Is that not possible?

snack

I pay $100 for 2gb on Verizon (before corporate discount). Well worth paying a lot more since the 4g networks from the other carriers is shit. I'll pay a lot more if I can have fast speeds! May have to bump up my data plan though because I'm downloading A LOT!

WTF! Here in Canada, it's 6GB for 30 dollars.

CRS

So after seeing the iPhone 5 today and being completely underwhelmed, I was thinking of going with the S3 as an upgrade to my iPhone 4. I have the AT&T unlimited from my original iPhone and would obviously like to keep it. Is that not possible?

DISREGARD. haha. I hate you AT&T.

Drakeon

jesus christ, we're really getting fucked in America then :(

I would pretty much be fine with 6GB for 30 dollars, even 5 tbh. I usually never go above 4, but like to have more than that just in case.

Argyle

I've had an iPhone 3G for four years now, and I'm finally ready to upgrade to a new phone. The new iPhone isn't doing it for me, but this interests me greatly. It'll be my first Android phone, though, and from what I hear that operating system can be a pain in the ass, so that's made me kind of wary. The simple, easy-to-use nature of the iPhone was something I'm very comfortable with.

Is Android as intimidating as I hear, or it is so simple my mom can use it?

For what it is worth - both of my parents have S3s. My dad is more computer literate than my mom (he is a retired programmer), but he got the hang of it pretty quickly because he bought an Asus Transformer last year. My mom is also doing fine with the S3, despite the fact that computers are not her strong suit. I installed the Kindle app for her, then she figured out how to get a sudoku app on there by herself, and she's been happily killing her battery with that ever since :) Sure, she's not using every nook and cranny of the OS like a power user, but she gets along fine. The Jellybean update is supposed to add an "easy mode" to Touchwiz, which should lower the bar of entry even further.

(BTW - the hardest thing for them to figure out was how to answer the phone! The "slide to answer" screen isn't the most obvious thing to figure out if this is your first smartphone...)

GS3 has wireless charging? Didnt know that lol. Anyone have a charging kit?

Second this - loved the inductive charging on the Palm Pre, definitely interested in this for the S3...

Husker86

jesus christ, we're really getting fucked in America then :(

I would pretty much be fine with 6GB for 30 dollars, even 5 tbh. I usually never go above 4, but like to have more than that just in case.

Drakeon you were talking about total monthly bill---snack, you were talking about just the data package.

Not that I am defending US carriers; they are ruthless.

Husker86

How do I get the gmail app to format emails properly where the email fits the screen without me having to scroll left/right to read the email?

You can't. It sucks. Something to do with patents I believe (can't multitouch zoom on an independent pane within an app or something like that).

I can't imagine any other reason as it's not a hard thing to implement.

TheExodu5

Banned
Jumped ship from Rogers and iPhone 4 to Wind Mobile and an S3 today.

Old plan from Rogers:
200 minutes daytime minutes
Unlimited evening and weekends
10k texts
Voicemail
Caller ID
6GB data

Price: $72/mo (taxes in)

New plan from Wind:
Unlimited local calling
Unlimited texts
Caller ID
Unlimited Data (5GB at ~3G speeds + throttle afterwards)

Price: $32/mo (taxes in)
Phone price: $450

I'll be saving $492 a year just for switching. I'll make up the price of the phone in less than a year. Downsides are no LTE, no voicemail, and roaming charges (which basically means no data) outside of Wind home zones (major cities around me, in which I'll spend 99% of my time).

As for the Galaxy S3. It's nice. The huge screen is very welcome, though it is harder to control one handed compared to the iPhone 4. The interface is so so...definitely less intuitive than iOS. The browser having a separate brightness control than the OS is just weird. I am looking forward to getting some apps that I could not on the iPhone, especially a Ventrilo client.

I'm glad I made the switch. I would have stayed with the iPhone 4 happily if it had not been for the huge savings for switching to Wind. I decided to jump ship since the iPhone 5 does not interest me in the least...I was looking forward to a bigger screen, not a taller screen that offers little benefit for my uses.

snack

Jumped ship from Rogers and iPhone 4 to Wind Mobile and an S3 today.

Old plan from Rogers:

New plan from Wind:

I'll be saving $492 a year just for switching. I'll make up the price of the phone in less than a year. Downsides are no LTE, no voicemail, and roaming charges (which basically means no data) outside of Wind home zones (major cities around me, in which I'll spend 99% of my time).

As for the Galaxy S3. It's nice. The huge screen is very welcome, though it is harder to control one handed compared to the iPhone 4. The interface is so so...definitely less intuitive than iOS. The browser having a separate brightness control than the OS is just weird. I am looking forward to getting some apps that I could not on the iPhone, especially a Ventrilo client.

I'm glad I made the switch. I would have stayed with the iPhone 4 happily if it had not been for the huge savings for switching to Wind. I decided to jump ship since the iPhone 5 does not interest me in the least...I was looking forward to a bigger screen, not a taller screen that offers little benefit for my uses.
Will the Rogers S3 work with the Wind network?

I have to go call AT&T soon, my S3 has a severe yellow tint on the screen. I just have to relock and unroot the phone, which is a pain to do. Are there any good screen adjusters out there besides the app "screen adjuster", or a kernel hack with color optimizations?

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I have to go call AT&T soon, my S3 has a severe yellow tint on the screen. I just have to relock and unroot the phone, which is a pain to do. Are there any good screen adjusters out there besides the app "screen adjuster", or a kernel hack with color optimizations?

Don't forget to reset the flash counter if you need to.

TheExodu5

Banned
As a semi-audiophile, I'm surprised to say the stock S3 headphones are quite good. These are solid IEMs. Lower mids could be a bit more forward, but these are really damned good for stock headphones.

edit: pretty bass light though...might not fare as well in public transportation, as bass tends to get drowned out by motor vehicles quite easily.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
As a semi-audiophile, I'm surprised to say the stock S3 headphones are quite good. These are solid IEMs. Lower mids could be a bit more forward, but these are really damned good for stock headphones.

edit: pretty bass light though...might not fare as well in public transportation, as bass tends to get drowned out by motor vehicles quite easily.

They feel kind of weird in my ears though, and mine have a slight rattle.

surly

Banned
Is there a way to view your SMS texts without having to bypass lock screen?
I use ChompSMS and one of the options it has is to display a quick reply box. The quick reply box displays the incoming text and has buttons for done, call, open and reply, plus you can just type a reply directly into the box and send it. If you receive multiple messages you can swipe left and right on the quick reply box to switch between them. You can choose various options for where you want the quick reply box to appear, with one of those being the lock screen.

Liquid_015

Gold Member
To those who own an International S3,

How is your battery status? I mean mines tend to drain pretty fast, but I was able to adjust some settings and it has gotten better. What other tricks and tips might be helpful in conserving battery power throughout the day?

Lastly, will JB help remove the battery drain issue?

Thanks!

Top Bottom