• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S III (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

GraveHorizon

poop meter feature creep
Just started using the SwiftKey 3 trial for a different keyboard. The functions are nice, like swiping left to delete the last word, and the punctuation characters on the main screen. Why isn't that a standard feature in all onscreen keyboards? Who's the idiot that chose to hide the comma key a screen away? Voice is the secondary selection of the comma key in Swiftkey. Brilliant decision right there.

The trial lasts for one month, and the regular app is $3.99. Is anyone using a good free keyboard? I'd pay $4 for a better keyboard than the stock one, but only if it was the best around.

For what it is worth - both of my parents have S3s. My dad is more computer literate than my mom (he is a retired programmer), but he got the hang of it pretty quickly because he bought an Asus Transformer last year. My mom is also doing fine with the S3, despite the fact that computers are not her strong suit. I installed the Kindle app for her, then she figured out how to get a sudoku app on there by herself, and she's been happily killing her battery with that ever since :) Sure, she's not using every nook and cranny of the OS like a power user, but she gets along fine. The Jellybean update is supposed to add an "easy mode" to Touchwiz, which should lower the bar of entry even further.

(BTW - the hardest thing for them to figure out was how to answer the phone! The "slide to answer" screen isn't the most obvious thing to figure out if this is your first smartphone...)

Second this - loved the inductive charging on the Palm Pre, definitely interested in this for the S3...

I just found out yesterday that there's an option to answer calls with the home button, and end them with the power button (doesn't turn off screen). The only problem I'm having with calls is the screen turning off when putting it to my ear. Not accidentally pressing anything with my face is nice, but when a voicemail directory tells me to press a number for more specific subjects, I'm left staring at a blank screen. Sometimes the call screen will come back if I swing the phone around, but if it doesn't work I hang up and call again, opening the keypad immediately.

EDIT:
I saw one of these for the first time today. Felt like a piece of junk, but damn that screen! Looked incredible.

It feels alright to me, but I've never owned a phone before. It definitely doesn't scream "cutting edge design". I'm still not sure how to hold it when making a call. I usually have my fingers on either side, away from my palm, so it feels weird as I'm holding it up to my ear. Just a bit awkward.

Swag

The trial lasts for one month, and the regular app is $3.99. Is anyone using a good free keyboard? I'd pay $4 for a better keyboard than the stock one, but only if it was the best around.
Swiftkey is probably considered the best, the only alternative that I've found comparable is the Swype Beta, but that's a significantly different experience then Swiftkey. Had to stop using it due to the bugs associated with text editing, makes posting on GAF almost impossible.

Nemesis_

I see lots of people using Swype but I really, really can't get my head around it. Something just feels wrong to me.

It's a personal opinion of course, but I can vouch for SwiftKey. I love the useless stats it gives you too =P

Swag

I see lots of people using Swype but I really, really can't get my head around it. Something just feels wrong to me.
I find the Swype beta a lot more efficient then Swiftkey, just feels a lot better, one thing I hate about Swiftkey is that it autocorrects words that I've added to the personal dictionary. I'm assuming it automatically adds personal entries as they show up as predicted words, haven't found an option to add words to the dictionary in the settings. It could just be my text input setting but it's something I haven't found a way to change, in Swype it will give priority to the personal dictionary over the standard dictionary.

GavinGT

Banned
the only alternative that I've found comparable is the Swype Beta, but that's a significantly different experience then Swiftkey. Had to stop using it due to the bugs associated with text editing, makes posting on GAF almost impossible.

That's the one weakness for me. It only seems to do that on GAF, though, which isn't much of a problem because I rarely post from my mobile devices.

But I really appreciate all the nuance in Swype. Capitalizing a letter by swiping up off the keyboard, accessing all sorts of editing features by swiping from the bottom-left button to the 123 button, and just being able to type without even looking at the phone.....I couldn't imagine going back to hunt-and-peck.

GavinGT

Banned
Makes a lot of sense, I never tried it with the ICS browser. I'm torn on the matter, Swype is my favorite input method, but Chrome is my favorite browser.

Apparently it will be addressed with the next iteration of Swype. They say they update it quarterly, so the next update should be within a few weeks (last one was June 20). Until then, just avoid using backspace!

Also, having read more of that thread, it seems it affects other browsers as well.

McLovin

I have a problem. Sometimes I'll post on gaf through my phone and the I's will randomly start to capitalized. KInd of lIke thIs. It's random as he'll, and it doesn't matter what state the shift key is in. I go back and delete and delete but nothing changes.
I cant seem to fInd anythIng onlIne, anyone have some Idea of whats goIng on?
It happened that last sentense.

Nemesis_

Anyone know what this icon means?

eCnsm.png

It's just started appearing not sure what I did to trigger it :(

Or is Samsung transmitting it in celebration of the iPhone 5 reveal? =P

bbyybb

CGI bullshit is the death knell of cinema

eCnsm.png

According to google that could be the icon when notifications have been disabled. I don't have an S3 so I cannot confirm.

Edit: To resolve it "Pull down the notifications panel and slide the big icons on top (wifi, gps, etc), slide to the right and touch the notifications icon to toggle the minus icon.".

nib95

Banned

eCnsm.png

Notifications have been disabled. Just slide the notifications tab down and turn them back on. Can be done in one click.

ElyrionX

Thinking of switching to the S3 since iPhone 5 is such a disappointment. But I was looking at the S3 site and it seems the device comes with only 16GB of memory? Am I reading this right?

Angst

I have a problem. Sometimes I'll post on gaf through my phone and the I's will randomly start to capitalized. KInd of lIke thIs. It's random as he'll, and it doesn't matter what state the shift key is in. I go back and delete and delete but nothing changes.
I cant seem to fInd anythIng onlIne, anyone have some Idea of whats goIng on?
It happened that last sentense.

Sounds like you have some spell correction enabled. Look around in the options and see if you can disable it.

JordanKZ

Thinking of switching to the S3 since iPhone 5 is such a disappointment. But I was looking at the S3 site and it seems the device comes with only 16GB of memory? Am I reading this right?

Nope. There's 16, 32 and 64GB variants and then you can put a micro SD card of up to 64GB in as well.

ElyrionX

Ok, I'm looking up the capacity thing now. Couple more questions:

1. My iPhone 3GS syncs with Windows Contacts in Windows 7. Will the S3 be able to sync with the same Contacts list in Windows without needing any additional adjustments from me?

2. My entire music library comprises of AAC files (varying from 128kb to 320kb) ripped from CDs and encoded by iTunes. Will these transfer seamlessly to the S3 and will the device be able to play them natively?

TheExodu5

Banned
The screen on the Galaxy S3 kind of has a yellowish tint to it...are there any color temperature settings anywhere?

edit: hmmmm...I think it's the fault of the surface of the screen? At a slight angle, colors are fine, but dead on, the screens becomes yellowish.

Superimposer

This is getting weirder all the time
Any UK GAFfers know the cheapest to buy one of these unlocked? I'm assuming its price has dropped since the iPhone announcement, cheapest I've found so far is 400.

McLovin

Hey I think I fixed it. Turned off auto-substitution. It's in settings> language and input> Samsung keyboard> predictive txt> and it's in there.
It was drIvIng m.... fuck
Seems to do It after I do an edIt. It mIght just be a chrome Issue.
Edit- yeah it's chrome. Nevermind.

Cipherr

Hey I think I fixed it. Turned off auto-substitution. It's in settings> language and input> Samsung keyboard> predictive txt> and it's in there.

ibhp9OKg3ipOug.gif

Have you updated Chrome recently? I got an update yesterday that fixed all of my Chrome/GAF typing issues.

Yeah I got that update this morning I think.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth

Have you updated Chrome recently? I got an update yesterday that fixed all of my Chrome/GAF typing issues.

Angst

Ok, I'm looking up the capacity thing now. Couple more questions:

1. My iPhone 3GS syncs with Windows Contacts in Windows 7. Will the S3 be able to sync with the same Contacts list in Windows without needing any additional adjustments from me?

2. My entire music library comprises of AAC files (varying from 128kb to 320kb) ripped from CDs and encoded by iTunes. Will these transfer seamlessly to the S3 and will the device be able to play them natively?
1. You can either sync via kies or just export contacts as csv and import in Gmail.
2. No problem, you can use Google music and upload everything or use another music player and transfer via usb. You can also use doubletwist's air sync apply and player if you want to keep using itunes.

McLovin

Yeah I got the last update. I'll just wait until the next update. Luckily it only does it if I go in to edit a post. Also if a post has more then one quote most of the post wont appear in the edit window. Those Issues assIde I actually lIke... It... god dammIt!
EdIt- does It after the 5th lIne of text too:(

kaskade

Well my best buy order shipped. I really doubt it'll get here tomorrow. If It's like a state over I might be lucky but I'm guessing it'll be on monday.

I'm probably going to pick up this phone soon. Looks really nice. Do many of you have screen protectors on your phone, or do you find them unnecessary? What about cases?

Top Bottom