• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S III (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

I don't have a screen protector on mine, but I do have this case:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0089F2ILM/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Awesome case for $9. Barely adds any bulk to the already thin phone.

Thanks, dude!

One last question for everybody. How does purchasing a phone from Amazon work under a preexisting plan? Amazon has the cheapest price on an S III that I've seen, but I'm forced to select a data plan along with the phone if I order off the site. I'm currently grandfathered in with unlimited talk, text, and data, but if I buy the phone online, does the AT&T store ensure that I receive the unlimited plan and not the one I selected on Amazon?

If this isn't the proper thread for this question, much apologies. I'm just really eager to upgrade to this phone but I've never purchased a phone online before.

LogicStep

I have the screen protector they sell at the at&t store, one that is dry and you can put and remove from the phone as you like. But, I'm conflicted because the screen looks SOOO MUCH better without it but I don't want it to get scratched :(.

ElyrionX

I have the screen protector they sell at the at&t store, one that is dry and you can put and remove from the phone as you like. But, I'm conflicted because the screen looks SOOO MUCH better without it but I don't want it to get scratched :(.

Phone screens very rarely get scratched these days.

So am I able to change the notification light colours and blinking rates at all from within the settings of the S3, or do I need to download an app or something for that?
I liked having the solid light-blue glow when I got a new text message or Whatsapp message, but now it's some dirty flashing thing.

MooMoo

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but when is the next set of Android phones coming out? I've been way overdue for an upgrade but if the next batch of Androids are coming out within the next few months I can afford to wait rather than jumping the gun on the S3.

pr0cs

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but when is the next set of Android phones coming out? I've been way overdue for an upgrade but if the next batch of Androids are coming out within the next few months I can afford to wait rather than jumping the gun on the S3.

really the only interesting event I can think of is the rumor that google is going to be announcing several 'nexus' devices this year as part of some celebration. If that happens there is a good chance at least one of the devices will be pretty good.

This was my biggest worry before I bought a SGS3, that I'd get left behind in terms of updates vs a Nexus device. The thing is, the audience for the SGS3 is so huge you can bet there will be a pretty large hacking community bringing updates to the device well beyond when Samsung moves on to the 'next big thing'.

Hell even my OG SGS has a port of Jellybean, even though Samsung refused to even get 4.0 on it. I suspect the SGS3 will have even better support from the community.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
So am I able to change the notification light colours and blinking rates at all from within the settings of the S3, or do I need to download an app or something for that?
I liked having the solid light-blue glow when I got a new text message or Whatsapp message, but now it's some dirty flashing thing.

Light flow is the app for you I believe.

MooMoo

really the only interesting event I can think of is the rumor that google is going to be announcing several 'nexus' devices this year as part of some celebration. If that happens there is a good chance at least one of the devices will be pretty good.

This was my biggest worry before I bought a SGS3, that I'd get left behind in terms of updates vs a Nexus device. The thing is, the audience for the SGS3 is so huge you can bet there will be a pretty large hacking community bringing updates to the device well beyond when Samsung moves on to the 'next big thing'.

Hell even my OG SGS has a port of Jellybean, even though Samsung refused to even get 4.0 on it. I suspect the SGS3 will have even better support from the community.
Oh, I see...I'll keep this in mind then. Kinda irritated that the heavy discount on Amazon earlier this week was for new customers only.

LogicStep

So I'm running CM10, how do I get that lock animation that makes the screen look like you are turning off an old tv?

Also are there any launchers or theme managers that run smooth? I install GO Launcher and makes the phone run sluggish as all hell.

trs1080

Neo Member

I had a T-Mobile G2 from about 2 years ago, no protector, always in my pocket, no scratches on the screen. You don't need them anymore.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
So I'm running CM10, how do I get that lock animation that makes the screen look like you are turning off an old tv?

Also are there any launchers or theme managers that run smooth? I install GO Launcher and makes the phone run sluggish as all hell.

They are still working on that. CRT animation is buggy right now.

LogicStep

I had a T-Mobile G2 from about 2 years ago, no protector, always in my pocket, no scratches on the screen. You don't need them anymore.

Man, I dunno... getting a scratch would suck so much, that's as bad as a dead pixel.

How is everyone else's experience with no screen protector?

They are still working on that. CRT animation is buggy right now.

AOSP has the CRT animation running fine, but its not up on CM10 yet.

I see, thanks. Hopefully that gets fixed perfectly.

I'm also wondering, once the official JB is released for our phones, it will have touchwiz. I'm guessing the modders will take the release and eliminate all that stuff to give us a stock JB? Sorry if I didn't word that correctly.

BFIB

Is the case kind of a sticky rubber? I tend to prop up my smart phones on my keyboard at work to watch movies, and leave them on my lap occasionally. Having rubber that adds friction is a nice thing for me.
Yep, it has some friction. Not really sticky rubber, but you should be able to prop it up with no issues.

Check this video out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhoF564nJ_Q

They try with keys and a box cutter, no scratches.

Mine has very small scratches and I'm not sure when it got there. I've had the officlal flip cover, the tempered glass and now just a cheap screen protector on it at all times. I've read too many people having random issues with the glass on this phone to chance going naked. I did with the iphone and nexus no problem.

zedge

So what's everyone's consensus on a screen protector? I have one now but I hate it. It gets greasy and streaky easily and has lots of marks on it already. I never had one on my s1 or s2 and never got so much as a scratch on those. But it seems this new gorilla glass is not as good as the old stuff. Lots of people seem to be getting scratches etc.

Unicorn

Mine randomly shattered. Finally got it back from repairs at Samsung . Still waiting for reimbursement from Verizon.

I'm so paranoid about it now since I no longer have a warranty a month and a half after getting this fucking phone and renewing my contract.

e_i

Fanastic phone. I just watched the Hells anime (in 1080p) and IT LOOKS ABSOLUTELY FUCKING GORGEOUS ON THAT AMOLED SCREEN.

sTeLioSco

Banned
samsung-galaxy-s-iii-anti-iphone-5-ad-full-size.jpg
http://www.businessinsider.com/samsung-galaxy-s-iii-anti-iphone-5-ad-2012-9

Isn't it pretty much the same thing just bigger?

It's incrementally better as a phone, it's mainly whether or not you can live with a 5.5 inch screen (albeit, a fantastic screen, slightly better than the S3 screen IMO) on something you carry in your pocket everyday.

For me, the Note is just too large to be comfortably used as a phone and too small to compare to the best tablets.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
I just looked it up. Pretty cool actually. I guess it could be quicker than having to unlock the phone or hold the button down.

Monday can't come fast enough.

turnover to mute only works on Samsung apps :\

I tried with Play Music and Sirius. nada.

tigerin

what kind of pants are you guys wearing? lol

me personally, i think the note 2 is good for home/public use cause of its phone/tablet mixed. save me money on buying a iPad. if i need more complicated functions, i'll use my laptop.

and note 2 is going to be a beast with quad core, 2gb rams and 5.5 inches displayed.

not to say the s3 is not a whole class in its own, since it still a samsung's flagship device.

LogicStep

I'm so conflicted right now. I've been watching so many videos of scratch tests where they take keys and knives to the screen and nothing happens so that should be enough proof that I can go without a screen protector and be fine. I'm just scared that some random tiny rock or dirt in my pocket will scratch the screen. Now I'm playing videos on my phone and I keep removing and putting the screen protector back on as the video plays seeing how much better the image and colors look without it. The difference is huge.

Top Bottom