• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S III (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

kaskade

turnover to mute only works on Samsung apps :\

I tried with Play Music and Sirius. nada.

That's a bummer. I can't say it'll be my most used feature but seemed cool anyway.

I find the S3 to my limit for phone sizes I can't imagine liking the note 2. Still its a neat bit of tech.

I was actually thinking about this. I'm coming from a BB so this phone is a whole different world. I've never actually held the phone as is. It's always been tethered down to something so I don't know the actual "feel" of it. From what I've read, even though the screen is big it's not really uncomfortable to pocket since it's a pretty thin phone. Hopefully that's true.

Prodigal

Banned
So right now I'm using the phone's own built-in ability for tethering but I can't tell how much data I'm pulling on my desktop from it. I guess Verizon's site maybe only updates that usage after each day? I guess if I'm just surfin' the net it shouldn't be too bad.

LogicStep

So right now I'm using the phone's own built-in ability for tethering but I can't tell how much data I'm pulling on my desktop from it. I guess Verizon's site maybe only updates that usage after each day? I guess if I'm just surfin' the net it shouldn't be too bad.

You would be surprised.

I see, thanks. Hopefully that gets fixed perfectly.

I'm also wondering, once the official JB is released for our phones, it will have touchwiz. I'm guessing the modders will take the release and eliminate all that stuff to give us a stock JB? Sorry if I didn't word that correctly.

Welp. You didnt have to wait long. CRT animation looks smooth on my S3. Go ahead and update your ROM.

I use WiFi tether for that and it seems a little more stable. Was tethering to my iPad watching sf and gangnam vids on trax Friday and went through almost 600 megs. Usually doing that on the phone gets a little over a hundred megs.

soultron

Banned
Welp, was waiting for the iPhone5 reveal to decide on GS3 or not. The 5 seems woefully samey, so am I smart in grabbing the S3 when it gets stock/OTA Jellybean or should I just wait for the Next Big Thing?

My Fascinate is chuggin' along but I'd really like to get something new.

Welp, was waiting for the iPhone5 reveal to decide on GS3 or not. The 5 seems woefully samey, so am I smart in grabbing the S3 when it gets stock/OTA Jellybean or should I just wait for the Next Big Thing?

You could get the GS3, root/unlock and install CM10 if you want jellybean now.

Or wait for the next Nexus phone.

Blackhead

Redarse
Check the data usage section in the settings app. It should indicate how much data was consumed by 'tethering and portable hotspots' and allow you to set alerts for different limits

Cipherr

S3 gets JB in like a few weeks apparently. Honestly at this point you could buy it, and by the time you familiarized yourself with everything JB would be getting pushed.

As for other options. The only other releases on the horizon that we know about is HTC and Samsungs 5" phones. So unless you are interested in a phone/tablet I would go with the S3. Normally a Nexus phone drops around December, but we haven't hear ANYTHING about one so far this year, so I'm not sure if a Nexus will make it in Q4 of 2012. It might not drop until Q1 2013.

S3 gets JB in like a few weeks apparently. Honestly at this point you could buy it, and by the time you familiarized yourself with everything JB would be getting pushed.

As for other options. The only other releases on the horizon that we know about is HTC and Samsungs 5" phones. So unless you are interested in a phone/tablet I would go with the S3. Normally a Nexus phone drops around December, but we haven't hear ANYTHING about one so far this year, so I'm not sure if a Nexus will make it in Q4 of 2012. It might not drop until Q1 2013.

LG Optimus G!!!!

Cr0wn0

Anyone else having issues with google maps repeating the same voice command? Twice now in a week ill fire up google maps and it will say turn left at 1st ave, then every voice command after it just repeats that same phrase. Only way to fix it is to clear data but that is annoying to do while i'm driving.

inm8num2

I'm not rooted (Verizon), but I'm not sure I want to get the new update. I'll wait to see if devs put out their own 4.1 update. Then maybe I'll root.

ezekial45

Banned
I'm considering jumping ship from Apple. I'm using the iPhone 3G (2007 original) and I was planning on getting the iPhone 5 when it was out. However, the S3 is looking mighty tempting.

My only question is how would I go about transferring all my information (contacts, numbers) and media (photos and music) from my iPhone to the S3 without any issues?

Cipherr

I'm considering jumping ship from Apple. I'm using the iPhone 3G (2007 original) and I was planning on getting the iPhone 5 when it was out. However, the S3 is looking mighty tempting.

My only question is how would I go about transferring all my information (contacts, numbers) and media (photos and music) from my iPhone to the S3 without any issues?

Transferring of any type of file is just a drag and drop procedure for Android devices. For your contacts, just sync them with your gmail account. Then when you get the S3, log into your google account after you boot up the phone, the device will pull your contacts automatically.

When you are moving the photos and music over, you can plug the usb cable into your phone and into your PC and do it that way, or you can use something like AirDroid if you have a WiFi setup at home. Air droid lets you open an url on your browser, then drag and drop shit right into the browser window from your PC, and it sends all the files to your phone wirelessly over your wifi. I absolutely love it.

I got an S3 yesterday after having a 3GS for 3 years. Transferring contacts was easy, logged into iCloud and downloaded them as a .csv file. Uploaded that to my contacts on Gmail then just went onto my S3 and synced the Gmail account.

The music was fairly easy, just connected via the USB cable and dragged and dropped the music from my music folder onto the S3.

Altazor

this could be helpful, but I haven't tested it (because I've never had an iPhone to transfer files from!)

EDIT: beaten!

I just switched over. Music works as has been posted already. The only issue is the investment in apps, as I don't believe those that run on iOS will run on Android.

LogicStep

I updated to the newest nightly and the animations look the same to me... Am I missing something? I downloaded GO Launcher and the animations are sluggish still.

I updated to the newest nightly and the animations look the same to me... Am I missing something? I downloaded GO Launcher and the animations are sluggish still.

CRT is the screen on/screen off animation. In the nightlies theres a setting or patch or something that has to be used to enable it, but in custom ROMs they baked it in. I can confirm in Paranoid Android at least.

LogicStep

CRT is the screen on/screen off animation. In the nightlies theres a setting or patch or something that has to be used to enable it, but in custom ROMs they baked it in. I can confirm in Paranoid Android at least.

Oh ok. So what I'm talking about is..? I guess it won't ever run smooth since maybe it's the app's fault?

h0pper

only Fernando's ripe melons are good enough for me
does anyone know if it is possible to get the Galaxy Nexus screen lock animation on the Galaxy SIII?

edit: is this what is being asked above?

RazOmari

Question for anyone who went from an S2 to an S3,

Is the S3 a big enough of an improvement, feature and performance wise, over the S2 to warrant a two year contract? I just noticed that Boost Mobile is selling the S2 (Epic 4G?) for $370. I'd be paying more for the phone, but not being tied to a contract might be worth it.

Is the S3 a big enough of an improvement, feature and performance wise, over the S2 to warrant a two year contract? I just noticed that Boost Mobile is selling the S2 (Epic 4G?) for $370. I'd be paying more for the phone, but not being tied to a contract might be worth it.

Depends. I had a Sprint S2 but the service was a joke. 3G coverage was slow as hell. Now I have ATT and pulling decent speeds on HSPA+. As far as the phone itself i'd say probably no.

You could buy the S3 used on craiglist for a little more. I bought mine a few weeks after launch for $400 new.

zedge

The HD screen alone is enough to warrant the upgrade. Imo.

How will you use it?

If its mostly as an actual cell phone or text message device, going off contract with an S2 will save you so much money without being forced into that data plan and it has decent specs to boot, plus a really good screen. If you are internet surfing constantly like i am and needed that bump in battery size because you are a power user, the S3 would probably be more your speed as it was for me from my S2.

kitch9

Banned

JB doesn't change much on the S3, it just adds a few bits and speeds stuff up.

I picked this up this past Saturday. I went from a iPhone 3Gs to this and I love it! The huge gorgeous screen, fast processor, camera, etc. I mainly love the way ICS is different from iOS. IT doesn't feel as newb friendly as iOS, which I like.

I'm looking forward to putting Jelly Bean on it once it comes out. ^_^

Just picked this phone up today. First things first, what are the things I need to do to conserve battery life? I adjusted the brightness, but there's so many settings I don't know which I should and shouldn't turn off. What are the must-have apps.

Secondly, is there a way to see texts from the lock screen? And is there a way to close running apps like on the iPhone? I navigated to a screen which showed the running applications, but there were so many I was a little hesitant to close any of them. Out of curiosity, could I close all of the running apps and the phone will still be okay, or is it like Windows where you have to leave certain important processes running at all times.

Sorry if these are monumentally stupid questions, but I've had an iPhone for four years so this thing is brand new to me.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Just picked this phone up today. First things first, what are the things I need to do to conserve battery life? I adjusted the brightness, but there's so many settings I don't know which I should and shouldn't turn off. What are the must-have apps.

Secondly, is there a way to see texts from the lock screen? And is there a way to close running apps like on the iPhone? I navigated to a screen which showed the running applications, but there were so many I was a little hesitant to close any of them. Out of curiosity, could I close all of the running apps and the phone will still be okay, or is it like Windows where you have to leave certain important processes running at all times.

Sorry if these are monumentally stupid questions, but I've had an iPhone for four years so this thing is brand new to me.

Don't worry about closing apps, let the phone handle that.

Go SMS lets you see and respond to texts from the lock screen.

I'm curious about this as well.

Don't worry about closing apps, let the phone handle that.

Go SMS lets you see and respond to texts from the lock screen.

Cool, thanks

Altazor

You can hold the home button and you'll get to the task manager in which you can swipe left/right to close the apps you want.

Regarding the lock screen, you can customize the stock one by going into the Settings menu, under the "Personal" header. Or you can buy the WidgetLocker app from the marketplace which allows far great customization and theming.

EDIT: My bad, I misread and thought you wanted to put a shortcut to your SMS in the lockscreen.

snap0212

Hey guys, I won a Galaxy S3 today. We get small bags with stuff in them (Beer, pencils, coupons and stuff like that) at the start of every new semester and mine came with a Galaxy S3 as well. They gave away 5 of them. :) This is my first Android device so I have to get used to it first but would you guys mind recommending me some of the essential apps you use? :)

nib95

Banned
Hey guys, I won a Galaxy S3 today. We get small bags with stuff in them (Beer, pencils, coupons and stuff like that) at the start of every new semester and mine came with a Galaxy S3 as well. They gave away 5 of them. :) This is my first Android device so I have to get used to it first but would you guys mind recommending me some of the essential apps you use? :)

Damn! Lucky you!

Play Store (Android marketplace)

Facebook
ColorNote
Tapatalk (if you browse other forums)
Whatsapp
Poweramp (best music player on anything)
SwiftKey 3
Gallery Lock
Flixter
PicsArt (covert PNG to Jpeg and more)
Shazam
Photoshop Express
Sketch Free
Ice Galaxy (awesome live wallpaper, barely uses up additional battery)

Samsung Apps

Photo Editor (best editor on any phone imo)

A few to start you off!

kaskade

Damn! Lucky you!

Play Store (Android marketplace)

Facebook
ColorNote
Tapatalk (if you browse other forums)
Whatsapp
Poweramp (best music player on anything)
SwiftKey 3
Gallery Lock
Flixter
PicsArt (covert PNG to Jpeg and more)
Shazam
Photoshop Express
Sketch Free
Ice Galaxy (awesome live wallpaper, barely uses up additional battery)

Samsung Apps

Photo Editor (best editor on any phone imo)

A few to start you off!

Swiftkey is good? I find myself to not be as good with the samsung keyboard as I expected. It doesn't seem to autofix words that I get close to right which is kind of annoying. Pretty sure I have an autocorrect option enabled. I was looking but I guess you can't turn on the default android keyboard.

It seems like the free version is a one month trial so I guess there's not reason not to try it.

nib95

Banned
Swiftkey is good? I find myself to not be as good with the samsung keyboard as I expected. It doesn't seem to autofix words that I get close to right which is kind of annoying. Pretty sure I have an autocorrect option enabled. I was looking but I guess you can't turn on the default android keyboard.

It seems like the free version is a one month trial so I guess there's not reason not to try it.

I personally really like it. Understands me the vast majority of the time except when I'm typing email addresses etc. But pretty easy to work around.

Give the trial a go and see what you think. There's two options, Precision mode and Rapid mode, personally I find rapid mode to work better for my needs.

snack

Was watching netflix on my s3 last night in bed and noticed blotches on my screen. Then freaked out and googled this issue. Apparently AMOLEDs do that...

FFFUUUUUUUUUU

When deleting apps, is it necessary to clear all the data before doing so, or can I just uninstall it without doing anything else? Will uninstalling it automatically reset the defaults other programs have with that app?

And the battery drains fast on this thing. My friend warned me about that, but I wasn't prepared for just how quickly it goes down. Simply screwing around in the menus is enough to drop it a few percentage points.

Thanks for that app list, nib95. I'll check out a few of them as well. Just out of curiosity, what makes one music player better than the other (in this case, the default music player)? Options within the app, or something else?

Emwitus

Hey gaf. First time future smartphone owner here. Is it advisable to order this phone online thru tmobile or at a local store? I'm looking for the best deal (cheapest). Also, should i stick out with tmobile or change to another carrier? Please help. Complete noob.

Toki767

Hey gaf. First time future smartphone owner here. Is it advisable to order this phone online thru tmobile or at a local store? I'm looking for the best deal (cheapest). Also, should i stick out with tmobile or change to another carrier? Please help. Complete noob.

Either is fine. Whichever place sells it cheaper. T-Mobile's price for the phone is higher than everyone else's though. Keep in mind T-Mobile does not have LTE, but does have unlimited data. Sprint has LTE and unlimited data, but is probably a little more expensive on the monthly bill.

nib95

Banned
Thanks for that app list, nib95. I'll check out a few of them as well. Just out of curiosity, what makes one music player better than the other (in this case, the default music player)? Options within the app, or something else?

Ui, ease of use, speed, file formats supported, EQ options, play list and playback options etc etc. Power amp is very good imo. A bit bit of a learning curve, but we'll worth it.

Top Bottom