• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S III (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

Emwitus

Either is fine. Whichever place sells it cheaper. T-Mobile's price for the phone is higher than everyone else's though. Keep in mind T-Mobile does not have LTE, but does have unlimited data. Sprint has LTE and unlimited data, but is probably a little more expensive on the monthly bill.

Thank you Toki!! So t-mobile high phone price, unlimited data and possibly lower monthly charges vs sprint lower phone price limited data and possibly higher monthly price! Thanks bud. Tomorrow is the day. Hope i don't regret it lol Excited.

Thank you Toki!! So t-mobile high phone price, unlimited data and possibly lower monthly charges vs sprint lower phone price limited data and possibly higher monthly price! Thanks bud. Tomorrow is the day. Hope i don't regret it lol Excited.

Sprint has unlimited data as well.

b33r

Just went from a g2x on T-Mobile, to this phone on Verizon yesterday. I didn't think it would be much of an upgrade, but wow... With the snappiness of this phone and lte speeds, it hums. Very impressed.

SUPREME1

Banned
What features/advantages does the S3 have over the GNexus that would convince me to pay $300 more (for a pair) instead of pocketing that $300 and going with a (pair of) GNexus(es)?

I can get a GNexus for $50 come December 1st. Since I'll have to get my wife a phone as well, it just seems like the smart thing to do. Pay $100 for a pair of GNexus(es) instead of paying $400 for a pair of S3s.

What are the main reasons why the S3 is considered the Android flagship phone? How does that compare to having a vanilla Android phone?

Nakazato

So.... with the Note 2 coming out in the next month.. Should i hold off on on the GS 3 and from what im gathering the Note could be $200.

Moppet13

ok swiftkey definitely crushes the default samsung keyboard. wow.

I use that too because it looks more awesome, have done the whole syncing with facebook thing where it learns how you type? Mine if I just press space makes weird sentences for me, I love it.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
What features/advantages does the S3 have over the GNexus that would convince me to pay $300 more (for a pair) instead of pocketing that $300 and going with a (pair of) GNexus(es)?

I can get a GNexus for $50 come December 1st. Since I'll have to get my wife a phone as well, it just seems like the smart thing to do. Pay $100 for a pair of GNexus(es) instead of paying $400 for a pair of S3s.

What are the main reasons why the S3 is considered the Android flagship phone? How does that compare to having a vanilla Android phone?

Bigger screen is the most glaring thing. General performance advantages, replaceable battery, microSD slot, higher resolution screen.

Nexus obviously has a superior OS and will get later updates quite a bit quicker than the S3.

I would strongly consider the Galaxy Nexus, but the S3 is pretty darn good too. I don't buy phones without a replaceable battery and a microSD slot, so it was an easy decision for me.

Moppet13

Bigger screen is the most glaring thing. General performance advantages, replaceable battery, microSD slot, higher resolution screen.

Nexus obviously has a superior OS and will get later updates quite a bit quicker than the S3.

I would strongly consider the Galaxy Nexus, but the S3 is pretty darn good too. I don't buy phones without a replaceable battery and a microSD slot, so it was an easy decision for me.

What I get from some posts on neogaf is that Galaxy Nexus battery drains super quickly too? If that's true the battery life on the GalaxyS3 is a pretty big up side.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
What I get from some posts on neogaf is that Galaxy Nexus battery drains super quickly too? If that's true the battery life on the GalaxyS3 is a pretty big up side.

That is what I hear, but the S3 doesn't exactly have the world's greatest battery life either.

Battery life for me becomes less of an issue when it is user replaceable, allowing for both backup batteries and extended batteries.

Moppet13

That is what I hear, but the S3 doesn't exactly have the world's greatest battery life either.

Battery life for me becomes less of an issue when it is user replaceable, allowing for both backup batteries and extended batteries.

Really? I got my GalaxyS3 a month ago and it can last a few days without having to be charged and I use it pretty actively. But yeah I totally agree on the replaceable battery thing, huge upside to any phone in my opinion.

Cudder

Really? I got my GalaxyS3 a month ago and it can last a few days without having to be charged and I use it pretty actively. But yeah I totally agree on the replaceable battery thing, huge upside to any phone in my opinion.

You can use your GS3 for 3 days before needing a charge on the stock battery? Sorry, I don't believe you.

I had to use the extended fat battery on the nexus to get about the same battery life as I get on the s3.

My contract ends October 4th so I'm planning on canceling my service with ATT and going with Verizon and the GS3 is the phone I'm planning on getting. Is there any reason why I shouldn't get it. I'm somewhat of a gadget freak and want to best and shiniest product out there as long as it doesn't break the bank. Will anything else be coming out soon on Verizon that I should wait for instead of just going with a S3 next month?

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I had to use the extended fat battery on the nexus to get about the same battery life as I get on the s3.

Oh shoot so it does have a replaceable battery? My bad for the misinformation, I didn't think the Nexus did.

Note 2 is the only thing on the near horizon that might make you rethink the S3. But that is for giant people.

SUPREME1

Banned
Oh shoot so it does have a replaceable battery? My bad for the misinformation, I didn't think the Nexus did.

Note 2 is the only thing on the near horizon that might make you rethink the S3. But that is for giant people.

Can someone touch on this, because I too was under the impression that teh GNexus didn't have a replaceable battery.

Do you have to order teh extended batter at time of purchase? How does this work?

Can someone touch on this, because I too was under the impression that teh GNexus didn't have a replaceable battery.

Do you have to order teh extended batter at time of purchase? How does this work?

Gnex does indeed have a replaceable battery. You can buy the battery when ever you want.

Being able to replace the battery and upgrading internal memory space at my own free will is a God send. Thank you BASED SAMSUNG!

So I need to upgrade and am thinking of switching from T-Mobile to ATT.

ATT has no unlimited data plan? Switching because I am on a family plan and both my brother and wife want the new iphone.

Not that I'm aware of...I was grandfathered into my unlimited plan from my previous iPhone 3Gs purchase. THANK YOU BASED AT&T!

Everyone else is being submitted into the "tiered" data plans.

effzee

So I need to upgrade and am thinking of switching from T-Mobile to ATT.

ATT has no unlimited data plan? Switching because I am on a family plan and both my brother and wife want the new iphone.

zedge

The gsm galaxy nexus battery is fine. I believe its the cdma version with the bad battery life. Mine was fine. Gsm version. I would go gs3 now though, unless you really need stock android. The gs3 is better in every way.

.GqueB.

Banned
I'm probably going to pick up this phone soon. Looks really nice. Do many of you have screen protectors on your phone, or do you find them unnecessary? What about cases?

Im always over protective with my phones and buy cases and screen protectors and all kinds of mess. I eventually take them off and realize it wouldve been fine without it. Ive had my droid incredible for 2 years and have only had a case for a year. Damn thing is fine...

save for that time I tried to fix the camera and broke it.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
And Verizon?

I've been tmobile for 6 years now so don't know much about the current landscape. I just assumed all providers had unlimited plans.

If you have an old school Tmobile plan, you won't find a competitive plan from anybody else, including Tmobile.

At this point, I can't switch off of Tmobile because it would be too big of a price hike.

Right now, I pay $110 a month for my wife and I and get 1000 Anytime minutes, unlimited nights/weekends, unlimited texts, unlimited data. Even with a 2gb hard cap, Verizon would charge $160+ for something like it, Sprint $140+, ATT $160+.

The gsm galaxy nexus battery is fine. I believe its the cdma version with the bad battery life. Mine was fine. Gsm version. I would go gs3 now though, unless you really need stock android. The gs3 is better in every way.

Eh stock android is overrated. Outside of them getting the newest updates first, I don't really see much benefit nowadays especially when these phones barely have any lag anymore. Plus you can always download a launcher to make it look like stock.

nib95

Banned
No case or screen protector on mine. Been fine so far. I don't usually ever have cases etc on my phones, especially with Gorilla glass and all the rest. Because the phone is polycarbonate and has a removable back cover, I'm even less inclined. Only phones I had a cases on in recent years were the iPhone's, but being made of glass they were a bit more prone to damage, that and the back of my iPhone 4 got seriously scratched up (don't think that bit was Gorilla glass?).

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Am I the only one here who has the horrible "crackling sound" problem? That, coupled with the fact that my provider's 3G service is literally worse than my dial-up connection from 16 years ago, are making me regret the purchase :/

zedge

Eh stock android is overrated. Outside of them getting the newest updates first, I don't really see much benefit nowadays especially when these phones barely have any lag anymore. Plus you can always download a launcher to make it look like stock.

Pretty much. Touchwiz adds alot of cool features that are not in stock android too.

No case or screen protector on mine. Been fine so far. I don't usually ever have cases etc on my phones, especially with Gorilla glass and all the rest. Because the phone is polycarbonate and has a removable back cover, I'm even less inclined. Only phones I had a cases on in recent years were the iPhone's, but being made of glass they were a bit more prone to damage, that and the back of my iPhone 4 got seriously scratched up (don't think that bit was Gorilla glass?).

I am debating removing my screen protector, hate it. No micro scratches or anything? It just seems some people are getting random cracks and scratches with this phone. Never used a screen protector on my s1 or s2 and never got a scratch.

effzee

If you have an old school Tmobile plan, you won't find a competitive plan from anybody else, including Tmobile.

At this point, I can't switch off of Tmobile because it would be too big of a price hike.

Right now, I pay $110 a month for my wife and I and get 1000 Anytime minutes, unlimited nights/weekends, unlimited texts, unlimited data. Even with a 2gb hard cap, Verizon would charge $160+ for something like it, Sprint $140+, ATT $160+.

This sucks. Currently I have a T-MOBILE family plan (3 lines), 750 minutes, unlimited texting, mobile to mobile, and unlimited data plan. But only one line has data, the other two phones are non smart phones.

Sucks if all other providers are putting caps on data.

Cipherr

Well, yeah... Now it is. But prior to this latest string of flagships it mattered a great deal. But yeah, at this point, GS3 is getting its JB in a couple weeks, thats not a wait that I consider excessive, and Vanilla Android is no longer required for a fluid UX. Not to sure how much Im going to care about Nexus phones going forward. Maybe if they are fantastic, but outside of that I probably wont care much anymore.

mantidor

Was watching netflix on my s3 last night in bed and noticed blotches on my screen. Then freaked out and googled this issue. Apparently AMOLEDs do that...

FFFUUUUUUUUUU

hehe I discovered mine as well yesterday, at first I freaked out, then I realized there's no way I will notice them unless I watch a really dark movie and move the brightness all the way down, is a non issue for me at this point.

Also, I don't believe the phone can hold for more than one day with 4G actively using, and actively using means more than just checking your email.

I actually do only check out my email and it lasts a day and a half tops, I do not have 4G in the country I live in though.

kaskade

Anyone have any case recommendations? I don't want anything super bulky but want some amount of protection.

I ordered this one. It should be here tomorrow. I was looking for something similar. I'm not sure if I want to go with a screen protector though. I like the feel of the naked glass but I don't want it to get scuffed up.

nib95

Banned
I am debating removing my screen protector, hate it. No micro scratches or anything? It just seems some people are getting random cracks and scratches with this phone. Never used a screen protector on my s1 or s2 and never got a scratch.

A few hairline scratches, nothing noticeable unless you're really looking. But honestly, I'm expecting ordinary use, very minor surface scratches. Worth it to me for the smoothness of vanilla screen touch and feel. Really dislike using screen protectors. They never seem to replicate that lovely cold slippery smoothness that glass has.

TheExodu5

Banned

Never used one for my iPhone 4. I hate screen protectors. Had a few scratches that could only be noticed in light at the right angle, and only when the screen was off. I wouldn't bother.

So I made a decision since iPhone 5 is more of the same (I have a 3GS) that I will get a Samsung Galaxy S III. My grandpa asked me about getting a new phone the other day and said he would give it to me now as my Christmas gift lol.

The thing is I've already seen the Blue one and I don't really care for it. The only other options are White or Red (I have AT&T). I read that new colors were coming but when I contacted Samsung Wireless US on Twitter they said they don't know when they are coming...

So I guess I'm gonna be getting a White one then? :/ I saw the Grey one via pictures it looks cool...:<

Top Bottom