• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S III (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

Toki767

Nova Launcher Prime is 25 cents today. I use Apex myself but Nova is good too for you guys who don't like the stock launcher.

Argyle

FYI for those on Sprint with this phone, an official prerelease Samsung Jellybean ROM (with build date code LIF) has been leaked.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1910947

I'd try it myself but some asshole stole my phone a few days ago. :( It's reportedly pretty stable and feature complete, so if you're brave, give it a try :)

My replacement phone is arriving tomorrow, so hopefully I'll be able to give it a go myself soon...

tborsje

I think I've finally found a way to be able to use S-Voice without it just being a terrible experience.

I simply turned the voice off (the button on the bottom left corner). It's so much snappier - setting an alarm or timer literally takes 3 seconds now. All you have to do is glance at the screen for a second to make sure it understood what you said. For almost everything else it's still a bit of a hassle though.

marrec

Banned
I think I've finally found a way to be able to use S-Voice without it just being a terrible experience.

I simply turned the voice off (the button on the bottom left corner). It's so much snappier - setting an alarm or timer literally takes 3 seconds now. All you have to do is glance at the screen for a second to make sure it understood what you said. For almost everything else it's still a bit of a hassle though.

The problem I have with S-Voice is that it's waay too sensitive. I'll say something and if there is any noise at all in the background it will sit there and not do anything until it's sure I'm done talking. So I say 'find a chinese restaurant' and it just sits there for 30 seconds waiting. So I just don't use it.

tborsje

The problem I have with S-Voice is that it's waay too sensitive. I'll say something and if there is any noise at all in the background it will sit there and not do anything until it's sure I'm done talking. So I say 'find a chinese restaurant' and it just sits there for 30 seconds waiting. So I just don't use it.

Yeah, I agree. Using it for very simple things can be handy, but nothing remotely complex (or even anything involving phonetically odd words) is just hit and miss. And only in a quiet environment - it seems to pick up dialogue on a tv playing in the same room and get hopelessly confused too. To be fair, Siri (On my old man's 4S) doesn't work any better and gets confused by the same shit.

I only use it for:
Alarms - "Set alarm for 8 am"
and the time "Set timer 20 minutes. Start."

Cruceh

Banned
is there any real difference between swiftkey and swype(which I have)?

Coming from swype, swiftkey is hard to get used to. I bought it for 10 cents but have barely used it since I am so used to swype. Been using swype since my nokia n97 so at least 2 years. Love swype! Plus, I don't even have to look at the phone and can text somewhat legibly with it.

Anustart

Having some problems and I'm clueless.

Every so often my web browser will stall then close to home screen. Opening the browser after will reload whatever it was trying to do. Any ideas?

Other thing is swype. The swype on this thing is terrible compared to my old g2. Constantly gives wrong words where as the g2 was almost 100% accurate. Any fix?

BFIB

How do you respond to MMS with everyone included? Every time I get an MMS, I can only respond to the person who sent it.

this_guy

How do you respond to MMS with everyone included? Every time I get an MMS, I can only respond to the person who sent it.

I use GoSMS - it's free in the market. It's a text messaging app that you can use in place of the stock messaging app. Download the app, go to the app settings ->send settings ->enable group chat. You'll also want to turn off notifications on the stock messaging app.

Now you can do group messaging with iPhone users as well. I do wish Google baked this feature into the stock messaging.

Every so often my web browser will stall then close to home screen. Opening the browser after will reload whatever it was trying to do. Any ideas?

Other thing is swype. The swype on this thing is terrible compared to my old g2. Constantly gives wrong words where as the g2 was almost 100% accurate. Any fix?

stock browser? i have the same problem. usually gaf does that to me (It's really the only site i use on there)

Altazor

Same thing happens to me. Are you on a Jelly Bean leak, or do you still have the stock ICS firmware? Every JB leak I've tried has had this same issue. It kinda bothers me but it's like a minor gripe, though I guess if I used the phone for intensive internet browsing I'd consider it a big deal.

Hopefully someone knows. I'd tell you to ask this in the XDA forums but I'm sure you'd get flamed and treated like a noob.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth

Did you install the Swype beta or are you just using Samsung's crappy version?

nitric0

Heads up: Walmart has the phone for $90. AT&T with a 2 year contract extension. Gotta wait one more day until I can upgrade, can't freaking wait!

Gattsu25

Banned
Yeah you have to sign up on their website but it is way worth it. Samsung's keyboard is shit compared to Swype.
Trying Swype right now and it seems pretty snappy.

For some reason I thought it was a pay beta but it looks like it's in free beta status for the next six or so months.

anddo0

I've owned this phone for about two weeks now. Got the 16gb, and later purchased a 32gb card. Am I missing something, can you not move apps from the phone to the sd card? All I can store on the sd card is movies/music/pics.

So I'm guessing thats a no. You can't move apps from the phone to an sd card?

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Running the Paranoid Android rom and it is simply amazing.

I am stuck on 1.13.2 because all the later versions got stuck with a Bluetooth bug that prevents certain apps from working over Bluetooth and causes wake locks. Paranoid Android is great though. This bug is happening in all cm10 based roms.

Toki767

Yup, one of the best roms out there right now. The tablet view alone ensures that I'll probably never go back to anything that's not customized, even CM.

I can't seem to get the hybrid mode to work for some reason. All the apps show up in phone mode no matter what I mess around with in the individual app settings.

I am stuck on 1.13.2 because all the later versions got stuck with a Bluetooth bug that prevents certain apps from working over Bluetooth and causes wake locks. Paranoid Android is great though. This bug is happening in all cm10 based roms.

I didn't realize there was a bluetooth bug. But I don't use bluetooth so I guess I'd never realize it anyways.

bearbomb

Neo Member
I know I'll probably get biased answers no matter where I go but another Iphone 5 vs GS3 thing.

I have a galaxy S1 right now and I am due for an upgrade. S3 is cheaper than an Iphone 5 so that's a plus, also the external storage thing is sweet.

I also have an ipad so I have a lot of apps. Like 200 dollars worth.

I don't really like gaming on my S1 (seemed like there was lots of slowdown at times)

I like both OS so that doesn't really make much difference to me.

How is gaming on the S3? Is it worth it for me to switch over? blahblahblah.

I just need some guidence here since it's obvious that both choices are winners.

Sorry about scrambled post. In a hurry.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
If games are important to you and you like both ios and android, and you are happy with the size of your galaxy s, I think the iPhone is the obvious choice.

I know I'll probably get biased answers no matter where I go but another Iphone 5 vs GS3 thing.

I have a galaxy S1 right now and I am due for an upgrade. S3 is cheaper than an Iphone 5 so that's a plus, also the external storage thing is sweet.

I don't really like gaming on my S1 (seemed like there was lots of slowdown at times)

I just need some guidence here since it's obvious that both choices are winners.

since you have an iPad, might as well go with the GS3, that way you have both options available.

Nakazato

I just upgraded from my S1 today and it is a fucking beast it was a great choice.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman

gaming on the iphone 5 should be pretty sweet but im making the best game ever for android so theres that. heres what i think:

if you surf a lot or view/download a lot of media and you're a customizer: s3

if you like a slim form factor and something that feels really nice and manageable in your hand: iphone 5

come to think of it, i can break it down futher:

if you use your phone a lot: s3

if you use your phone a little: iphone 5

my workplace is a battleground iphone 5s/4s' and nexi/s3s you cant go too wrong either way

also, 200 dollars in apps is a hard thing to leave behind.

VanWinkle

gaming on the iphone 5 should be pretty sweet but im making the best game ever for android so theres that. heres what i think:

if you surf a lot or view/download a lot of media and you're a customizer: s3

if you like a slim form factor and something that feels really nice and manageable in your hand: iphone 5

come to think of it, i can break it down futher:

if you use your phone a lot: s3

if you use your phone a little: iphone 5

my workplace is a battleground iphone 5s/4s' and nexi/s3s you cant go too wrong either way

also, 200 dollars in apps is a hard thing to leave behind.

I'll second that both are great, but it's not like he'd be losing his apps if he got an S3. He said he has an iPad for those. I'd personally think having an S3 for the Android stuff and iPad for the iOS stuff would be a perfect combination. I find Android to be superior on phones (when well implemented) and iPad superior for tablets.

I don't know what those are.

I'll just buy another one tomorrow!

175821.gif

ElyrionX

Just got an S3 and I keep hitting the goddamn menu and back buttons by mistake. Seriously, the button placements are just very poorly thought out.

kaskade

I don't know if this was posted but T-Mobile users can download The Avengers for free through the samsung media hub. Pretty cool.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Just got an S3 and I keep hitting the goddamn menu and back buttons by mistake. Seriously, the button placements are just very poorly thought out.

I don't know that I have ever hit them accidentally. I think the button placements are great.

Top Bottom