• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S III (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

Sarye

any news on the next nexus device?

Heard that possibly other makers may carry the nexus name? Like LG, Sony, and HTC?

I'm seriously contemplating on buying the S3 and putting CM10 on it but I'm not too fond with samsung's build quality.

Cipherr

Heard that possibly other makers may carry the nexus name? Like LG, Sony, and HTC?

I'm seriously contemplating on buying the S3 and putting CM10 on it but I'm not too fond with samsung's build quality.

Supposedly we are supposed to learn of the next nexus, and who is making it this month. No idea when though.

JordanKZ

As people have said, we'll know this month. At the very least we'll get and upgraded Galaxy Nexus from Samsung and probably the Nexus 5 stuff that's been rumoured.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
As people have said, we'll know this month. At the very least we'll get and upgraded Galaxy Nexus from Samsung and probably the Nexus 5 stuff that's been rumoured.

I also think a slightly upgraded Galaxy Nexus is very likely. Probably inevitable. And to me that's not very interesting, since I already have a GNex and the upgraded version doesn't (if the rumors are true) seem to be a very significant upgrade at all. Now, I don't expect any Nexus to ever have the best specs on the market (that's not the point of it), but I did expect the next one to be closer to the SGS3 than the SGS2 in terms of specs. While I'm sure the GNex+ will be a great phone for anyone looking to jump aboard the Nexus train, it's just not something I would be interested in upgrading to.

So I'm personally hoping that the rumors of multiple Nexus OEMs are true. I think what I'd like to see most of all is a really powerful Sony Nexperia (heh). They have made some pretty sweet-looking phones lately and seem to be more on-board the Android train than maybe any other OEM, so I'd love to see them get a shot at making a Nexus.

I would be kind of weird to have several Nexii on the market with varying performance though, since the latest in the line is supposed to represent the current reference phone for the Android platform. Which one would take that role, and which one would Google develop the next version of Android for? Maybe both. I guess there could be high and mid end reference phones happily coexisting.

Some people with an S3 on stock have looked at my phone on CM10 and said that it looked so much faster than theirs. There really are minimal bugs, if any present left over anymore. I've dropped the phone a few times too and it's held up. I'm not really worried about build quality with this device anymore

mantidor

Since I got a pair of good headphones I'm starting to hear this annoying sound like that of a scratch disc whenever I'm listening to music, does this happen to anyone else? I've read around the internet and is unfortunately a problem that seems to be common.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Since I got a pair of good headphones I'm starting to hear this annoying sound like that of a scratch disc whenever I'm listening to music, does this happen to anyone else? I've read around the internet and is unfortunately a problem that seems to be common.

It is very common with many devices, not just S3, and many headphones. Its mostly a manifestation of cheap electronics in general.

mantidor

It is very common with many devices, not just S3, and many headphones. Its mostly a manifestation of cheap electronics in general.

Oh it 's the device for sure, I got some Koss Porta Pro and I've used them before with dedicated mp3 players with no problem at all. If anything I think that is the headphones the ones that are allowing me to hear this background noise from the phone that wasn't hearing with the samsung ones. Bummer, it can get really annoying :/

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth

Pretty sure it was some software bug that they have since fixed. Do you have the latest update available?

nitric0

Just got the phone. Screen is constantly flickering :( Think it might be a bad backlight? Anyone have a similar issue? Searched this thread and I seem to be the first.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Just got the phone. Screen is constantly flickering :( Think it might be a bad backlight? Anyone have a similar issue? Searched this thread and I seem to be the first.

It is probably the auto brightness. Turn that off and see if that helps.

I think this might have been fixed in an update as well.

nitric0

Make sure you're not just getting the flickers while using the stock browser. There is a browser brightness setting too.

It happens everywhere, not just browser. Going to Best Buy tomorrow to replace it, hopefully they don't give me any problems. I bought the damn thing today :[

VanWinkle

So let me ask you guys this. Is there a replacement back cover that I can get that is matte instead of glossy? It seems like such a simple thing that would be available, but I can't seem to find one.

Oh yeah, I would like it to look nice, too. Like, no third-party brand logos or something. Maybe this product just doesn't exist :(

maharg

idspispopd

OLEDs don't have backlights. If there's something wrong with the screen it's the screen itself.

Hey, can anyone recommend a good case for it? Something ideally really thin but still sturdy enough to make it resistant to a fall or two.

mantidor

Pretty sure it was some software bug that they have since fixed. Do you have the latest update available?

really? I'm on 4.0.4 still, waiting on Jelly Bean but I think I just might root the thing anyway, it scares me but the advantages seem nice.

Satyamdas

Banned
Hey, can anyone recommend a good case for it? Something ideally really thin but still sturdy enough to make it resistant to a fall or two.
This Diztronic case is the one I use, and I love it. Adds just a tiny bit of (much needed) thickness to the phone, protects the edges from scuffs and shit, and if you drop it and are lucky enough to have it land on the sides or back, it will protect it just fine. Obviously the screen is still exposed, but what are you gonna do? I use it without a screen protector (one comes included) and am perfectly happy with the case.

atomsk

Party Pooper
just got an update on sprint L710VPLI3

- Inclusion of SWYPE keyboard
- Improved LTE connectivity
- SMS Messaging improvements
- EAS sync improvements

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
I went to go check it out yesterday at the Verizon store.

It feels a bit too big to be honest. Almost phablety.

There was a person in there who already broke their S3 by leaving it in their back pocket. It does not look like a phone you should be keeping back there.

mclem

As someone who's *VERY* ignorant of smartphones:

Looking into getting a phone on contract, and likely to make it my first Smartphone. Currently a tossup between Galaxy Ace and Galaxy SIII, the latter costing twice as much. What major things would I miss out on with the Ace? Particularly from a gaming standpoint, but I'll take anything of significance!

marrec

Banned

Looking into getting a phone on contract, and likely to make it my first Smartphone. Currently a tossup between Galaxy Ace and Galaxy SIII, the latter costing twice as much. What major things would I miss out on with the Ace? Particularly from a gaming standpoint, but I'll take anything of significance!

Looking at the Specs of the Galaxy Ace, the fact that its only half as expensive as the SIII is a rip off. The SIII has specs that blow it out of the water. You'd be hard pressed to play any graphic intensive games on an Ace it seems and games for Android are getting more complicated and graphically impressive by the day.

If you get the SIII then you don't have to worry, probably for the next year or so, about if a certain game release will be compatible with your phone.

surly

Banned

The Ace is an all-round weaker phone with a considerably lower res screen than the S3 and worse battery life. It runs an old version of Android so you're stuck on Gingerbread (Android 2.3) unless you root it and use a custom ROM. Some games require a higher Android version than Gingerbread.

mclem

Looking at the Specs of the Galaxy Ace, the fact that its only half as expensive as the SIII is a rip off. The SIII has specs that blow it out of the water. You'd be hard pressed to play any graphic intensive games on an Ace it seems and games for Android are getting more complicated and graphically impressive by the day.

I should point out that the standalone phone is about 20% of the cost of the SIII; the 50% comes from comparing contracts.

That said, I am getting awfully tempted to just go the whole hog.

marrec

Banned
I should point out that the standalone phone is about 20% of the cost of the SIII; the 50% comes from comparing contracts.

I can't in good faith recommend you get a phone like the Ace when considering it against the S3. If you were considering the Ace against the MyTouch or the Droid Incredible or something of the sort, then it would be easier.

So are you saying that you will be paying a higher monthly fee if you go with the S3?

mclem

I can't in good faith recommend you get a phone like the Ace when considering it against the S3. If you were considering the Ace against the MyTouch or the Droid Incredible or something of the sort, then it would be easier.

So are you saying that you will be paying a higher monthly fee if you go with the S3?

Yup. £21 vs £41/month, both deals including a galaxy tab 2. I am pondering going contractless instead, because the totals are pretty high, but it helps they're amortised over a long period.

Edit: What about in comparison with the S II? There's S II + Galaxy Note 10.1 options, too.

justjohn

Anyone else having problems with the weather app? The weather predictions isn't right and I've to manually refresh it to update.

Toki767

For those of you think the phone is too big, they are apparently rumored to be announcing a Galaxy S III Mini. It'll probably be around 4 inches with only a 800x400 display though.

nitric0

Got my phone replaced. Apparently it was defective. Screen is just the best I've ever seen. I'm upgrading from a Motorola Atrix 4G and this just seems like a massive upgrade so far.

CRS

jkAVaK7OC9BMU.jpg

Now to wait for my SIM card from Verizon. Really wish I was able to order it before I got my phone but I needed the phone's ID info.

Just a couple more days.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
put the latest Sprint JB leak on my phone

a whole new experience!

the folders actually look cool now!

StuBurns

Banned
Hey guys, has there been any word on when JB is hitting the UK? I'd do the update myself but I never got Kies to sync via USB.

Sorry if this has been asked multiple times.

OG Kush

Yup. £21 vs £41/month, both deals including a galaxy tab 2. I am pondering going contractless instead, because the totals are pretty high, but it helps they're amortised over a long period.

Edit: What about in comparison with the S II? There's S II + Galaxy Note 10.1 options, too.

Which UK company is offering a free galaxy tab with it?!

Top Bottom