• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S III (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

Argyle

Is there an option outside of the camera/camcorder app where I can mess with my flash?

It doesn't seem to work and I even tried using a standalone flashlight app with no success. :(

Have you tried the "Assistive Light" widget built into the phone?

CRS

Yeah, I came across that and had some hope but it only tests the LED on the front for notifications. Damn.

CRS

So phone was still under warranty so now I'll have to send it to Samsung so they can fix it.

Man, I just can't catch a break.

VanWinkle

So I guess Verizon is getting a black model and a brown model of the S3 soon. I'll be curious to see how the S3 looks in black in real world.

ibl6AtZsMDvAKK.JPG

I think I might be jumping into the Smartphone arena for the first time ever. I'm pretty much set on getting an Android phone; but looking at plans; alot of the carriers are offering a free Galaxy S2 with a 2 year plan. That's really attractive, but I'm torn because I'd like an LTE phone and the S3 is about 200 with a 2 year plan. Any one got suggestions or recommendations?

maharg

idspispopd
Frankly, I think the Galaxy Nexus for $350 unlocked and without a contract is pretty much the best deal you can get on the market right now for a smart phone. Especially if you're willing to forego the latest and greatest. Not sure if you can get the LTE version direct from google, though.

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
Frankly, I think the Galaxy Nexus for $350 unlocked and without a contract is pretty much the best deal you can get on the market right now for a smart phone. Especially if you're willing to forego the latest and greatest. Not sure if you can get the LTE version direct from google, though.

That's only for the GSM version, right?

edit: yep... :(

Hey, how/where did you price match to get it down to $150, was it p/m to amazon?

Actually I was going to get it online at Newegg, but I just told the guy Best Buy for the hell of it. I was there with my bro and his wife, they were just going to get whatever while I was looking for the best deal. But anyways, the Verizon guy wanted my business so instead of letting me get it else where he said he'll give me the same prize and I took it. He didn't confirm it or anything, not like I cared sine I could buy it and take it home that day instead of waiting till the next day had I ordered it at Newegg instead.

effzee

So super LTTP but I just got my Galaxy 3!

Few problems.

How do I set up my voicemail? I tried to find any option but couldn't. Then I tried to set up my google voice account but I keep getting an error when I try to make good voice my primary voicemail option.

Any help?

So super LTTP but I just got my Galaxy 3!

Few problems.

How do I set up my voicemail? I tried to find any option but couldn't. Then I tried to set up my google voice account but I keep getting an error when I try to make good voice my primary voicemail option.

Any help?

Who is your carrier? Most carriers have their own Voicemail prog

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
I hate having to slide my thumb to answer a call.. any good replacements for answering a call ?

nib95

Banned
Just read (over at the iPhone thread of all places lol) that Android beam sends via blue tooth whilst S Beam uses WiFi direct to send files. I've never used any other Android device besides an S3 to send files (to other S3's), but surely that's another big win for Samsung? I'd imagine sending files over blue tooth is slower?

Toki767

Just read (over at the iPhone thread of all places lol) that Android beam sends via blue tooth whilst S Beam uses WiFi direct to send files. I've never used any other Android device besides an S3 to send files (to other S3's), but surely that's another big win for Samsung? I'd imagine sending files over blue tooth is slower?

Yep. Not sure why Google doesn't implement WiFi direct to send files over considering the stock OS has options to enable/disable it.

nib95

Banned
Yep. Not sure why Google doesn't implement WiFi direct to send files over considering the stock OS has options to enable/disable it.

Well that's one more thing I need Vanilla Android to adopt before I move over from TouchWiz. S Beam (direct WiFi file sharing), Smart Stay, Direct Call, Share Shot and Group Cast.

effzee

Who is your carrier? Most carriers have their own Voicemail prog

ATT.

But I have to set it up and I couldn't figure how to do it. All I see under call settings are options to switch carriers between ATT or Google Voice. How do I access my voicemail to set up the greeting message? Anyone who calls me receives a message that my voicemail box isn't set up.

buhdeh

Anyone planning to jump to the LG Nexus? I thought I'd get by with TouchWiz but almost nothing has changed on the update front. Nearly 4 months later and still no JB update. It's not like it's a huge jump like GB to ICS was either.

Things I hate: The software is ass ugly and I really question why they design it this way. The colors and kiddy icons/UI are just horrific and I honestly don't find a single feature that Samsung added with TouchWiz useful. I'd say the entire experience is a downgrade from stock Android in nearly every way. I don't even know what they were doing with S Planner but sheesh... I have my Google Calendar sync'd to it but I can't even reply to events with that same GMail account? S Memo just sucks as a note app. Smart Stay and such wouldn't be bad if they weren't just features designed to destroy your battery life. And Christ, look at the notification pull-down now -- half the page is filled with toggles that have no reason to even be that big. The design of the phone isn't bad but I actually find it relatively ugly and extremely slippery to hold. The Galaxy Nexus was much better designed, IMO.

Anyways, about the only positives I can find with TouchWiz are the remove all button in the task manager and that it ships with an okay looking file explorer (compared to ES File Manager). After using the Nexus 7, I really loved everything about stock Android. (I refuse to beta test ROMs like CM10 just to have decent looking software)

Swag

Anyways, about the only positives I can find with TouchWiz are the remove all button in the task manager and that it ships with an okay looking file explorer (compared to ES File Manager). After using the Nexus 7, I really loved everything about stock Android. (I refuse to beta test ROMs like CM10 just to have decent looking software)
I empathize with you on a lot of those points, recently started using CM 10, and I love the look and feel of stock Android, but I can't deal with the poor Wi-Fi performance and the breaking of certain applications with some nightly releases. It does have some amazing advantages though, better memory management, battery, and additional features like profiles to name a few.

Was contemplating getting a Note II today, but just thinking about not being able to have half the features which make the phone excellent on the stock experience makes it pointless to me, will definitely be looking to trade my S3 for a Nexus device in the near future.

Argyle

Anyone planning to jump to the LG Nexus? I thought I'd get by with TouchWiz but almost nothing has changed on the update front. Nearly 4 months later and still no JB update. It's not like it's a huge jump like GB to ICS was either.

And Christ, look at the notification pull-down now -- half the page is filled with toggles that have no reason to even be that big.

For what it is worth, I am on a leaked Touchwiz Jelly Bean ROM, so I think it's definitely coming soon, as this build is pretty stable. They reduced the number of toggles in the notification area, so it doesn't scroll to the side anymore.

Swag

For what it is worth, I am on a leaked Touchwiz Jelly Bean ROM, so I think it's definitely coming soon, as this build is pretty stable. They reduced the number of toggles in the notification area, so it doesn't scroll to the side anymore.
That's interesting, on the International S3 JB, it has all the old toggles as well as an additional toggle for Blocking mode.

TheExodu5

Banned
I think I'm going to have to stop using Swiftkey. As much as I like the keyboard, there is one thing making it completely unusable: it always inserts a space after a period. This is incredibly annoying when entering things like my e-mail address, which has two periods, or typing out web addresses in text messages or posts.

AndyD

aka andydumi
I think I'm going to have to stop using Swiftkey. As much as I like the keyboard, there is one thing making it completely unusable: it always inserts a space after a period. This is incredibly annoying when entering things like my e-mail address, which has two periods, or typing out web addresses in text messages or posts.

Once you type in your email address once, it comes up as an autosuggestion.

marrec

Banned

The other problem with Swiftkey is how it reacts to NeoGAF Mobile.

BiggNife

I just got swift key, is it worth buying the retail version?

SwiftKey Free is actually a one month trial.

Personally I think it's fantastic overall and a noticeable step up from the Samsung stock keyboard. But the bug mentioned in buhdeh's link has been really bothering me recently, I hope they fix it soon.

SwiftKey Free is actually a one month trial.

Personally I think it's fantastic overall and a noticeable step up from the Samsung stock keyboard. But the bug mentioned in buhdeh's link has been really bothering me recently, I hope they fix it soon.

Seems like a Chrome bug. I haven't noticed it in Firefox.

After spending some time with Swift Key 3, I'm sold already. I just bought it, I look forward to more sloppy fast typing that will end up looking nice before I even hit send. Any more cool Android apps that are worth getting, free or paid?

BiggNife

Seems like a Chrome bug. I haven't noticed it in Firefox.
As far as I can tell, it's only Chrome and Swiftkey. Using the stock Samsung keyboard in Chrome does not cause the problem, and using Swiftkey in any browser other than Chrome doesn't cause it either. So it could be a problem either on SwiftKey's end or on Chrome's end.

But it sucks for me because Chrome is definitely my favorite browser and SwiftKey is definitely my favorite keyboard.

teiresias

So is anyone using one of the latest Cyanogenmod 10 builds and want to give me their opinion on whether it's ready for use as a daily system?

I'm tired of waiting for Samsung to update the phone and will root and either go to the leaked Sprint JB ROM or just go to CM10 to get vanilla functionality. Just wondering if anyone has any feedback on CM10 in its current state.

Top Bottom