• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S III (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Does anyone know if it's possible for me to change my "home" button or whatever to bring up Google Now, instead of this terrible S Voice?

Google Now voice commands actually recognize what I'm saying and give relevant information. Can't say the same about S Voice.

I'm rooted if that matters.

squared

Does anyone know if it's possible for me to change my "home" button or whatever to bring up Google Now, instead of this terrible S Voice?

Google Now voice commands actually recognize what I'm saying and give relevant information. Can't say the same about S Voice.

With Apex Launcher you can set the Home key to do whatever you want, more or less, including launch an app.

If you'd be ok with switching to Apex, I recommend it, it's a great launcher which I've personally never had an issue with, love it!

You can hold down the menu button to bring up Google Now.

man my battery is being killed since updating to jellybean. Cant seem to find out what's causing it either. I used to be able to use it all day at work and still have like 50% battery left by the time i get home.

Now im finding that 10 mins after leaving the house its gone down by 2 or 3% and by the time i get home its at like 15 - 20%

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
man my battery is being killed since updating to jellybean. Cant seem to find out what's causing it either. I used to be able to use it all day at work and still have like 50% battery left by the time i get home.

Now im finding that 10 mins after leaving the house its gone down by 2 or 3% and by the time i get home its at like 15 - 20%

kill samsung push

Allforce

I picked this phone up this weekend, I was all set to get a Droid Razr Maxx HD but I read you can't swap out the battery on that one so I got the GS3 instead.

Any fun things you can do with this phone that aren't spelled out? I'm coming off a Droid X from 2010. I've already put Apex Launcher on this.

nib95

Banned
Have to say, I'm supremely impressed with Google Now. It's the only voice recognition AI I've ever used where if I talk too slow or unnatural it doesn't work, and only when I talk completely normal does it work flawlessly. I don't really know how it can be so fast and turning over results and so accurate at getting what I'm saying, but it totally craps over S-Voice and Siri.

squared

I've been using the Omega ROM for quite a while now (tried some other ones, but went back to Omega pretty quickly), and tried both Siyahs and the Perseus kernel.

This is my "personal record" for battery life, when I was using Omega 27.2 and Perseus 0.24. I had a total screen time of something around 3h20min, so not a lot. I work on a PC at my job, so I don't really need to play around with my phone all the time.

Also, I don't have a Facebook or Twitter account that needs constant updating and syncing etc.

There's a slight peak of charging in there, but that was just when I plugged it in to copy over a few photos to my PC. Don't think it even charged 1%.
gUnyt.jpg

Shiggy

So I seriously did a factory reset to get the copy/paste function back to work. Was there any way to save my game saves before doing that? Oops :D

Swag

I'm so jealous of those with amazing batteries, don't know if it's my configuration or usage but I have never had a device that could last longer then a day with moderate usage. That image from Squared fills me with such incredible jealousy.

andthebeatgoeson

So I'll be hopping on this train in a month since the new nexus its not coming to Verizon. Will probably also root it. I'm a rooting virgin. Wish me luck.

mclem

So, I just randomly hit the 'update' button on my Orange-network UK S3... and it's downloading 280MB of package. Would this be JB?

Edit: Confirmed. "OS Update: Jellybean"

skasaha

Neo Member
i just got the update in singapore. (i.e. the international version of the s3) is anyone else's s3 suddenly...really choppy? especially the app drawer, when you click on it it's like the animation drops frames before showing up. i mean yeah it's faster now but it sure looks really ugly. in fact in the settings menu most of the transition animations aren't smooth, they look super choppy. no sign of project butter in here =\ (the notifications shade now drags down faster though but eh.)

where did the driving mode toggle they had in the notifications shade go?

also a peeve of mine: when my screen goes off in ICS i pressed the center button to turn the screen on again and continue with what i was doing. in JB when i do the same the screen turns back on _but_ acts as if i had pressed the button...so it brings me back to the home screen. any ideas how i can change this back?

also it appears you can now have 5 shortcuts on the lock screen instead of 4. that's nice.

nib95

Banned
i just got the update in singapore. (i.e. the international version of the s3) is anyone else's s3 suddenly...really choppy? especially the app drawer, when you click on it it's like the animation drops frames before showing up. i mean yeah it's faster now but it sure looks really ugly. in fact in the settings menu most of the transition animations aren't smooth, they look super choppy. no sign of project butter in here = (the notifications shade now drags down faster though but eh.)

also a peeve of mine: when my screen goes off in ICS i pressed the center button to turn the screen on again and continue with what i was doing. in JB when i do the same the screen turns back on _but_ acts as if i had pressed the button...so it brings me back to the home screen. any ideas how i can change this back?

also it appears you can now have 5 shortcuts on the lock screen instead of 4. that's nice.

Do you have power save mode enabled?

skasaha

Neo Member
nope. i only just figured out the reason of the choppiness in the settings menu - under developer options -> transition animation scale i've it set to 0.5x. this worked in ICS basically cutting in half the animation time so your next screen displayed faster but looks like it's screwed up in JB. setting it to 1x (default) fixed it, the animation is smooth (but slower) now.

still not sure what's up with the touchwiz app drawer though but well. :\

nib95

Banned
nope. i only just figured out the reason of the choppiness in the settings menu - under developer options -> transition animation scale i've it set to 0.5x. this worked in ICS basically cutting in half the animation time so your next screen displayed faster but looks like it's screwed up in JB. setting it to 1x (default) fixed it, the animation is smooth (but slower) now.

still not sure what's up with the touchwiz app drawer though but well. :

Works fine for me in JB. The issue might be because in JB there is a third option you also need to set to 0.5x.

Allforce

I'm so jealous of those with amazing batteries, don't know if it's my configuration or usage but I have never had a device that could last longer then a day with moderate usage. That image from Squared fills me with such incredible jealousy.

Why not just upgrade your battery? You can get a 4300mAh battery and back cover for like 25 bucks on Amazon, it adds some thickness to the phone but in the GS3's case I'd say it's almost a good thing.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Maybe I don't use my phone as much as most but my battery has been lasting around 14-15 hours per day since I got it.

I'm always connected to wifi and I have a sprint Air Rave, so I think much battery is conserved from not constantly looking for a strong signal, maybe.

i just got the update in singapore. (i.e. the international version of the s3) is anyone else's s3 suddenly...really choppy? especially the app drawer, when you click on it it's like the animation drops frames before showing up. i mean yeah it's faster now but it sure looks really ugly. in fact in the settings menu most of the transition animations aren't smooth, they look super choppy. no sign of project butter in here =\ (the notifications shade now drags down faster though but eh.)

Some of my animations are also a little choppy sometimes, but I'm using the US version. Screen rotation animation with Go SMS open and the on-screen keyboard up is pretty choppy. Occasionally, the App Drawer opens up choppy, but not all the time.

SourSamo

New S3 user, came from a Galaxy Nexus.
My absolute favorite app was PGM; giving you the ability to swipe the screen to wake it up instead of hitting the button.

Does anyone know if this exists for the S3?

Cr0wn0

Decided on a whim a few nights ago to put cm10 on my phone. I absolutely love it, I totally recommend it and I've had no issues so far at all. Took about 20 minutes in all to get it going.

GuessWho

I love android and the S3, but this is what I hate about Google and their whole upgrade policies.
I(we) have an S3 android phone, yet iOS users are able to enjoy Google products(Google voice/search) before most S3 users. It just doesn't make any sense.
Google really need to get a hold of this.

zedge

I love android and the S3, but this is what I hate about the carriers and their whole upgrade policies.
I(we) have an S3 android phone, yet iOS users are able to enjoy Google products(Google voice/search) before most S3 users. It just doesn't make any sense.
Google really need to get a hold of this.

fixed that for you

BTW google voice search is already on the S3 in ICS. Just no google now.

Is this the keyboard from 4.2? How is it compared to Swype or SlideIT? I'm using SlideIT at the moment (had too many bugs with text entry fields using Swype for some reason).
swype beta 1.3 whatever has a bug with mobile gaf where it wouldn't auto space after word (stock browser) and at least for me.

so far it feels more fluid in terms of gesture. works how they describe. seems to learn what my typing is just like swype. and the blue trail looks really awesome. lol.

anyone tried out gesture typing? i'm enjoying it.
google for the apk.

Thanks for the heads up. Pretty awesome and like it better than swype so far especially because I can use google voice typing and not the dragon dictate crap.

Bought a car mount that's made for the Infuse and it fits perfectly. Supposedly if you have an ICS rom audio and charging through usb works. Since I had a JB rom (TW), samsung broke the charge but audio still worked. Hunted around and read they fixed the issue with the Note 2 so I loaded that rom up and now everything works great with the doc. Makes my drives to work so much more awesome.

Swag

Why not just upgrade your battery? You can get a 4300mAh battery and back cover for like 25 bucks on Amazon, it adds some thickness to the phone but in the GS3's case I'd say it's almost a good thing.
Don't really want to add more bulk if I can avoid it, already have a case that adds a bit more weight to the phone, it's at a more comfortable weight for me at the moment.
Decided on a whim a few nights ago to put cm10 on my phone. I absolutely love it, I totally recommend it and I've had no issues so far at all. Took about 20 minutes in all to get it going.
Best custom ROM I've used, only thing I miss are some of the camera options, and a few of the motion controls. Other then that it's excellent especially when paired with Siyah kernel

Photosphere app is floating around too. Gesture typing and photosphere installed. What else do I need to complete the 4.2 transition?

Bill_Duke

Having problems with listening podcasts with the basic music player. It doesn't remember where I stopped listening last time. So if I want to continue listening a 2 hour podcast the next day, I have to manually search for the point where I stopped last time. My old HTC Desire had no problems continuing playback from where I left off.

Anybody else have this problem? Is there some other player that supports automatic bookmarks?

marrec

Banned
Having problems with listening podcasts with the basic music player. It doesn't remember where I stopped listening last time. So if I want to continue listening a 2 hour podcast the next day, I have to manually search for the point where I stopped last time. My old HTC Desire had no problems continuing playback from where I left off.

Anybody else have this problem? Is there some other player that supports automatic bookmarks?

I recommend Podkicker to people who want easy and free Podcast playback. Maybe try that out? It comes with it's own player that remembers where you were.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Got the JB update on my unbranded phone yesterday. So far, so good, but the battery seems to be slightly less impressive now.

Top Bottom