• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S III (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

effzee

Knowing AT&T, they'd probably make you update through Kies if they ever decide to push out the update in the first place.

And how would that work?

Also I have an old Galaxy S Vibrant. Thinking of putting my mom's sim in there (its unlocked) so she can use it. It was never updated but can its OS be updated now or would it not even be compatible?

Hey gaf, I got a software update notification but I rejected cause I was at work and selected it to notify me again in 3 hours... been well over 3 hours now and nothing. Have I just done fucked up? How do I get this update now?

nib95

Banned
Since updating my S3 to JB, all YouTube videos open in the browser instead of the app using default browser. How do I get them to default to the app instead?

I've tried resetting app preferences, Internet browser, YouTube app and nothing.

Any help would be appreciated.

Got the JB update on my unbranded phone yesterday. So far, so good, but the battery seems to be slightly less impressive now.

Seems to take a few cycles for the battery life to even out. After a few days, my battery life feels mostly the same as it was before the update. I guess Google Now decreases battery life a little though.

Toki767

Seems to take a few cycles for the battery life to even out. After a few days, my battery life feels mostly the same as it was before the update. I guess Google Now decreases battery life a little though.

I think people were reporting that Samsung Push was what caused the battery drain.

Touchdown

Banned
Just picked up the black version today with a new plan. Can't wait to play around with it. Currently I'm on another phone waiting patiently for a rep to activate my number.

Very good chance I am getting this phone this weekend, as I'm stuck with Sprint and they're not getting any of the good Windows Phones anytime soon.

So with that in mind, any info I should be aware of before making the plunge?

If you're unlocked.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1968494

Just found out last night this phone does music/video sharing over wifi to my western digial media player and squeezebox. That's friggin awesome. What is that feature called exactly for non apple devices?

You mean DLNA? settings --> more settings under wireless & network --> nearby devices

I use that all the time with my ps3 and the ps3 media server app for pc. I love that function, has a ton of possible uses

AndyD

aka andydumi
Its DLNA sharing. Then each manufacturer names it whatever they feel like. But the generic protocol is DLNA.

Thanks for the info. With DLNA sharing, car dock, gesture keyboard/photosphere camera, note2 rom, this phone is more awesome/new to me now than when I picked it up.

davidnic

Really looking forward to getting my S3 today\ tonight the best thing about it is free. But probably won't be able to use it till tomorrow cause I have a normal SIM but we will see. :(

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
I
Just found out last night this phone does music/video sharing over wifi to my western digial media player and squeezebox. That's friggin awesome. What is that feature called exactly for non apple devices?

It also streams to Xbox 360s, PS3, Google TV (via hack), and tablets.

The down side is that you can't seek in some video formats.

McLovin

I'm enjoying my s3, but because if this updating issue I'm only buying nexus phones from now on. I already got my update a few days ago but that wait was brutal. Also never gonna buy htc phones no matter how powerful or how good the review is. I've never had an htc phone last more then a few months without issues. Usually dead by years end.

So I woke up to go to class this morning only to realize that my phone's clock was 10 minutes behind and had made me late, so now I'm just sitting here for an hour waiting on the next bus. I've set it manually now, but has anyone ever had this problem where the network-provided time is just completely wrong?

BiggNife

So the latest version of Chrome FINALLY fixes that swiftkey text jumping bug that was driving me nuts. I imagine Swype is fixed too but I haven't tried it. I can finally post on forums in Chrome again!

VanWinkle

So the latest version of Chrome FINALLY fixes that swiftkey text jumping bug that was driving me nuts. I imagine Swype is fixed too but I haven't tried it. I can finally post on forums in Chrome again!

Oh, that was a Chrome problem? Cool, I'll go back to Swiftkey now. I thought it was a keyboard problem.

Can anyone help me out, I was running stock but rooted, so I unrooted and im trying to update my phone (on LG8 trying to update to LI3) but every time I try and install the update it gives me a status 7 error.

So I read I should go back to stock rom, I cant find a sprint stock rom anywhere though, can anyone point me in the right direction?

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife

Blackhead

Redarse
Galaxy S3 gets the cleanest Touchstone mod yet

webOSNation said:
g7D0k.jpg

... When Samsung introduced the Galaxy S III back in May, it was supposed to come with wireless charging, though they managed to not show off the wireless charger at the typically odd introduction event. Yet, here we are six months later without the wireless charger publicly available (that's the kind of launch schedule we expect from Palm).

Feeling left out of the three-year-old wireless charging party, Hong Kong-based eBay seller hkrc has taken matters into their own hands, and is now selling modified Galaxy S III back covers with the Touchstone inductive charging coil and appropriate contacts for the Android-based smartphone. The wireless charging backs are going for $28 a pop on eBay, a fair price for something that had to be manually assembled. As of this writing there's just one of the faux-metal dark blue covers available, as well as twenty four-white covers and twenty-six white covers paired with a Palm-brand charger, cable, and Touchstone charging puck for $55.

It's not quite as elegant as the Nexus 4 and its awkwardly-named Wireless Charging Orb, but if you're like us an have Touchstone chargers all over the place and happen to be rocking a Galaxy S III (not so much like us) this could be a useful purchase for you...

atomsk

Party Pooper
Sprint Zone pops up and says "It's time to update your S3!"

I check system update... still nothing.

FUCK YOU SPRINT ZONE

Withnail

So I woke up to go to class this morning only to realize that my phone's clock was 10 minutes behind and had made me late, so now I'm just sitting here for an hour waiting on the next bus. I've set it manually now, but has anyone ever had this problem where the network-provided time is just completely wrong?

A lot of networks don't provide time information. In the UK none of them do. Unfortunately the phone doesn't tell you whether it's receiving time information or not so it's not safe to rely on it unless you know for a fact that your network provides it.

It's probably top of my list of things I'd like to see Google fix in a future version of Android. They could bake NTP into the OS (for the kind of web-based time setting you get on desktop PCs and consoles) or they could allow third party apps to set the system time which would make things like this usable without root.

Ecto311

Does anyone have an extra battery and take it along with them in a bag/backpack? I'm wondering how long the extra batteries keep charge if taken with outside of the phone.

Also is it possible or has anyone used a car charger for just a battery and swap not charging directly to the phone?

clav

Sprint Zone pops up and says "It's time to update your S3!"

I check system update... still nothing.

FUCK YOU SPRINT ZONE

Dammit, I saw that too

If you still don't have JellyBean, go to your Application Manager.

Look for "Google Services Framework" under all applications.

Clear the data.

Check for the Samsung Software update under System Updates. You will notice that the last time it checked for the update was in the year 1969.

You may have to repeat the process again for the phone to finally recognize the update.

Tip: Be sure to be connected over wifi as I think the update is 350 MB+.

I was helping a coworker a few days ago on getting JB.

Clear the data.

Check for the Samsung Software update under System Updates. You will notice that the last time it checked for the update was in the year 1969.

You may have to repeat the process again for the phone to finally recognize the update.

Tried it about 50 times since I got the notification last night that it was time to updeate the software.

Didn't work. :(

Clear the data.

Thank you! I'm updating my S3 to JB as of right now.

Zoe

Clear the data.

Yeah, this still isn't working for me. I'll try out Kies later.

clav

Kies just scans for devices, no?

I activated it and it keeps scanning for kies air server and just ends with "No Devices"

Yeah, this still isn't working for me. I'll try out Kies later.
Disclaimer: I don't own an Android phone.

Supposedly this is the manual update for Jellybean. Requires microSD card. Sprint only!

Download this file. http://v13.lscache4.c.android.clien...0/eec955eb4a5b.update_SPH-L710_LI3_to_LJ7.zip

Rename it to "update.zip".

Put this on the root (no subfolders) of the SD card (e.g. E:\).

Turn off the phone.

Hold the "home" button + "volume up" button + "power" button" until the Samsung logo flashes.

Release the button combo.

Navigate the recovery interface using the volume keys for up and down power button for the "enter" key.

Choose the update.zip file.

A lot of networks don't provide time information. In the UK none of them do. Unfortunately the phone doesn't tell you whether it's receiving time information or not so it's not safe to rely on it unless you know for a fact that your network provides it.

It's probably top of my list of things I'd like to see Google fix in a future version of Android. They could bake NTP into the OS (for the kind of web-based time setting you get on desktop PCs and consoles) or they could allow third party apps to set the system time which would make things like this usable without root.

damn, that's crazy! why are they so stingy in the UK!?

Farooq

Banned
Random question.

I am streaming video from my phone to a tv(vt50). Everything is fine with the stream.

My question is about videos with subtitles. I have no idea how to get the subtitles on the screen for the video files I have that require them.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
I flashed CM10 but now I'm finding that I'm missing bits of touchwiz. I'm such a tortured soul.

Do I go back with stock and wade through the sprint and samsung bloat or just stick with the CM10 rom.

Top Bottom