• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S III (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I flashed CM10 but now I'm finding that I'm missing bits of touchwiz. I'm such a tortured soul.

Do I go back with stock and wade through the sprint and samsung bloat or just stick with the CM10 rom.

Just go to a stock rom that removes the bloat. Or just root the stock rom and remove the bloat yourself with Titanium.

I flashed CM10 but now I'm finding that I'm missing bits of touchwiz. I'm such a tortured soul.

Do I go back with stock and wade through the sprint and samsung bloat or just stick with the CM10 rom.

You could flash a TW rom that has the bloat removed. If there's a Note 2 version give that a go. There's one on the verizon variant so there should be one with sprint.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Just go to a stock rom that removes the bloat. Or just root the stock rom and remove the bloat yourself with Titanium.

You could flash a TW rom that has the bloat removed. If there's a Note 2 version give that a go. There's one on the verizon variant so there should be one with sprint.

Could either of you supply me with a direct link? This sounds to be the ultimate solution for my quandary.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
The link is under where it says Download rings.

Do your own due diligence though when it comes to installing it. I don't have a Sprint Galaxy s3 so i can't vouch for this rom.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Ok thank you.

In the mean time I've watched a couple of Videos of it being run so it seems legit.

No more predictive text, which is the entire point of the keyboard.

Oh, who cares about that. I have it because the keys are sized a little better to me. Actually, this is good because now I can actually see an entire text message when holding the phone sideways rather than a millimeter of the conversation

Desperado

Can anyone point me to directions to set up Google Voice voicemail on the phone? I've not been able to get it to work. I'm on Verizon. I've tried dialing the *71 *90 *92 access codes but it isn't working. I previously had Google Voice voicemail set up on my last phone (Droid Incredible).

teiresias

So I finally got my Jelly Bean update on my Sprint S3. Fairly impressive and does feel smoother, but I really dislike how on the Touchwiz variant it's a bit out of the way to quickly get to Google now - as there's no way to access it from the lockscreen like on vanilla JB as far as I can tell.

In any event, I think I'm going to root and at least try out CM10. I ran CM9 for a long time on my original EVO and really liked it, so we'll see how this goes.

Can anyone tell me if there's any reason to use regular CWM recover over the touch enabled version of CWM?

surly

Banned
So I finally got my Jelly Bean update on my Sprint S3. Fairly impressive and does feel smoother, but I really dislike how on the Touchwiz variant it's a bit out of the way to quickly get to Google now - as there's no way to access it from the lockscreen like on vanilla JB as far as I can tell.
You can place up to 5 app shortcuts on the home screen, so if you place a shortcut to Google there it will take you straight to Google Now.

RuGalz

Can anyone point me to directions to set up Google Voice voicemail on the phone? I've not been able to get it to work. I'm on Verizon. I've tried dialing the *71 *90 *92 access codes but it isn't working. I previously had Google Voice voicemail set up on my last phone (Droid Incredible).

It's been a long time since I run TouchWiz stock but I seem to remember all it meant is that you have to manually select voicemail to be Google Voice instead of VZW. So during the App's setup, when it tries to setup voicemail it just brings you to the voicemail setting of the OS and you select Google Voice. If that doesn't work, do the activation through the Google Voice website once then go to settings and re-select Google Voice as voicemail source.

BFIB

I received the JB update on Friday, but since then my battery life has taken a huge drain. Before, I'd go around a day and a half before needing a charge, and just overnight, my battery dropped around 30%.

Any ideas on what to check?

Is there any way to set a wifi signal as a default on the phone.

Where i work i wander between two places all the time, when im at my desk im connected to our superfast wifi but when i pop off to lunch to the canteen i am out of reach of this network and have to use a openzone network, when i come back to the desk it's still connected to this openzone network but i would like it automatically go back to the superfast network instead

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
I received the JB update on Friday, but since then my battery life has taken a huge drain. Before, I'd go around a day and a half before needing a charge, and just overnight, my battery dropped around 30%.

Any ideas on what to check?

disable samsung push

Matchew

I just got a Samsung gsiii, and I love it! Going from a 4S to this phone is huge the screen is awesome, can't see myself every going back to a smaller screen.

Not sure where to ask this but. I was going to sell my 4S on ebay or amazon, how to erase all my data and everything on the phone, just go to the settings? Do I have to do anything to the sim card? Also it was a AT&T phone do I have tell the buyer that so they can work the phone?

Talon

I just got a Samsung gsiii, and I love it! Going from a 4S to this phone is huge the screen is awesome, can't see myself every going back to a smaller screen.

Not sure where to ask this but. I was going to sell my 4S on ebay or amazon, how to erase all my data and everything on the phone, just go to the settings? Do I have to do anything to the sim card? Also it was a AT&T phone do I have tell the buyer that so they can work the phone?
Settings -> General -> Scroll down and there's an option for Reset.

What's the best SMS client to use? I've been using the stock one since I got my phone but I've grown tired of certain dumb features, like how you can't even full-screen a picture unless you download it.

Ecto311

I would sell it here if possible. I had good luck with the bst thread for 4 iPhones so far.

The sim has nothing on it and if it was used as the line you upgraded against then its deactivated. Also if it was the phone being replaced with the upgrade when your buyers remorse time is over (14 or 30 days) then you can submit for an unlock on Att.com and it adds a lot of value to a resale.

My god, the sales tax in California is bullshit when purchasing cell phones. Sales tax is applied to the "full, non-discounted price" of the phone? What the fuck.

My god, the sales tax in California is bullshit when purchasing cell phones. Sales tax is applied to the "full, non-discounted price" of the phone? What the fuck.

wait, so they charge tax on $649.99?

Do existing microSDXC supporting devices support up the microSDXC's theoretical maximum (2 TB)?

Not that we'll see 2 TB SDXC, much less microSDXC, anytime soon.

they're supposed to.

wait, so they charge tax on $649.99?

Yup. This is a special case for mobile phones.

"Under Regulation 1585, if a cell phone or other wireless device is sold at a promotional or discounted price on the condition that the customer activate or sign up for telephone service with a provider for more than a month ("bundled"), the sales and use tax must be computed on the price a buyer would pay if he or she did not activate or sign up for phone service."

Apparently, according to California's Board of Equalization, this tax brings in $181 million annually, which is why bills to change the law so that taxes would be on the discounted price only have been shot down.

Yup. This is a special case for mobile phones.

"Under Regulation 1585, if a cell phone or other wireless device is sold at a promotional or discounted price on the condition that the customer activate or sign up for telephone service with a provider for more than a month ("bundled"), the sales and use tax must be computed on the price a buyer would pay if he or she did not activate or sign up for phone service."

Apparently, according to California's Board of Equalization, this tax brings in $181 million annually, which is why bills to change the law so that taxes would be on the discounted price only have been shot down.

damn, that's... woooooooow....

so on Black Friday, people getting that $50 Sprint Galaxy S III in L.A. could pay ~$50 in taxes?

damn, that's... woooooooow....

so on Black Friday, people getting that $50 Sprint Galaxy S III in L.A. could pay ~$50 in taxes?

Yup. People have been getting surprised by this for some time now I guess. I just haven't bought a phone in some years so I was shocked to see such high sales tax.

Now I'm just having a family member buy it in Oregon (no sales tax) and ship it down to me. way cheaper.

Gattsu25

Banned
Love the camera on this phone... here is a picture of a spider that was 3/4 as large a US dime:

20121021_175526.jpg

red731

I am decided that I want this phone and now I am in search of good protection case for it.
What brand and type do you use? Does it protect the phone from only back, or even front with some kind of screen protection?

I am deciding between this Case Mate Phantom or something that won't be so bulky.
Maybe even InvisibleShield, like I use happily for my "dumb"phone, SE ELM.

I need some tips. Thank you.

Also wow at the picture quality.

Vek

I just use a spigen lumi bumper case since backplates are cheap enough to replace, and I don't want to obstruct heat flow out of the back. It adds a few millimetres to the overall thickness (~0.5mm on top ~1-1.5mm on the bottom) which really serves to protect either side from scratches when laying it upon a table.

Zoe

Got the update!

Not a fan of the grey status bar...

Edit: damn, ran into a bug already where the screen doesn't automatically shut off

Slizz

I just use a spigen lumi bumper case since backplates are cheap enough to replace, and I don't want to obstruct heat flow out of the back. It adds a few millimetres to the overall thickness (~0.5mm on top ~1-1.5mm on the bottom) which really serves to protect either side from scratches when laying it upon a table.

How do the side buttons feel? I've read conflicting reviews saying the buttons on the case line up perfectly or don't line up at all.

atomsk

Party Pooper
Got the update!

Not a fan of the grey status bar...

Edit: damn, ran into a bug already where the screen doesn't automatically shut off

Still nothing here, but given this hurricane mess in NJ, I'd much rather they be working on getting service back to normal before trying to push out any updates.

ag-my001

I'm sure there's a link around here somewhere, but could someone direct me to a good Day 1 guide? I've already got the phone on my wifi and the first update just rolled in, but I'm still looking of ways to remove the clutter of some preloaded apps and improve the battery life.

Hey guys,

I've got the Verizon S3, and every single time I walk into a metro station and the phone goes from 4g to 3g data, there's a period of time with zero bars during which any calls I have on will drop.

Is this a common issue? Is there a fix?

Vek

How do the side buttons feel? I've read conflicting reviews saying the buttons on the case line up perfectly or don't line up at all.

Buttons line up perfectly for me, no complaints here. Those complaints could just be from a bad early batch, or people not attaching the case properly (more likely a bad early batch, I only got mine a few weeks ago).

This is very frustrating, no clue what this stuff is, I don't even download anything to my phone! Shit is killing my battery.

I have the same problem from time to time, as far as I can tell its either an app or the Android OS continually scanning your sdcards or something. Not sure what a permanent fix is, but force stopping some apps or restarting usually stops it.

Hey guys,

I've got the Verizon S3, and every single time I walk into a metro station and the phone goes from 4g to 3g data, there's a period of time with zero bars during which any calls I have on will drop.

Is this a common issue? Is there a fix?

That's really strange... only time you should get zero bars is when you manually switch off 4G. Is it always the same location? It could just be a mobile deadspot. Try turning off data completely before you pass through there next time and see if you still get zero bars.

davidnic

I have the same problem from time to time, as far as I can tell its either an app or the Android OS continually scanning your sdcards or something. Not sure what a permanent fix is, but force stopping some apps or restarting usually stops it.

Same but today it seems to be good then again I hadn't on it much either it is 95% and I took it of charge at 6am and it is now 1.40pm

red731

I'm sure there's a link around here somewhere, but could someone direct me to a good Day 1 guide? I've already got the phone on my wifi and the first update just rolled in, but I'm still looking of ways to remove the clutter of some preloaded apps and improve the battery life.

Would really appreciate posting that link too. Ordered the phone yesterday, so tomorrow it will be in my hands.

teiresias

Has anyone with the Sprint phone on Jelly Bean been having reboot issues in Chrome? If I'm in Chrome - usually in an area with no wifi and moderate to poor data signal - sometimes the phone will just randomly reboot while it tries loading the page. Never had this issue before the JB upgrade.

Top Bottom