• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S III (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

red731

After a lot of googling and tweaking, I think I've managed to get my battery life to a fairly comfortabe level now.

Can you post some links here or PM them to me?

ed: oh chrome, forget to refresh you. beaten

QUESTION:
If I buy microSDHC card for my phone, can I then move files from PC to said card that is in my phone?(Bought Case Mate tought and don't want to always remove it)
I don't care if it will take longer by not having it directly in the adapter and memory card slot.

Sam's Club will have the Samsung Galaxy S III for NINETY SIX CENTS on Black Friday with a 2 year agreement. Which carriers? "carriers and phone selection may vary by club"

lol @ Cali paying $50 tax on a $1 phone

Gattsu25

Banned
QUESTION:
If I buy microSDHC card for my phone, can I then move files from PC to said card that is in my phone?(Bought Case Mate tought and don't want to always remove it)
I don't care if it will take longer by not having it directly in the adapter and memory card slot.
Yes, you can.

I recently purchased the 4g version. Im really curious what they can add or make better for me to buy a future phone.

It has a fantastic screen
superb camera
lightweight and sleek
its superfast

What will they do in the future phones? All I can think of is a better videocamrecorder. Make it more powerful?

I really can't think of anything else

ElyrionX

Please do share

Can you post some links here or PM them to me?

Before I proceed, I should mention that I am using the GS3 LTE international version with 2GB RAM and Jelly Bean comes stock preloaded.

There are lots of things that you can do to manage battery life. I won't cover the basics such as decreasing screen brightness, turning off WiFi when not in use and stuff like that. Rather, what I found is that being aware of what processes are running most of the time and why those processes are running is key to your battery life.

1. Go to Settings
2. Go to Applications Manager
3. Swipe right to the "Running" tab

Look at those things and remove as many of them as you can. Some of the processes are run automatically and you won't be able to disable them from the in-app settings. For these, I either uninstall the app or I swipe right again to the "All" section and disable them. That's what I did for S Suggest and Samsung Push (which apparently some claim is responsible for the poor battery life of the GS3 under Jelly Bean). Basically, many of the default Samsung apps and processes are useless bloatware so I disabled as many of them as I could.

Another thing I found is that enabling "Auto-Add Widgets" in the Android Play Store has implications for the phone as well. I noticed that several apps (Bloomberg and The Economist for me) were running processes in the background despite them not being in use at all. The processes appeared to be linked to the widgets even though I had none active on any of my home screens. So I uninstalled the widgets which also uninstalled the apps thus forcing me to go into the Play Store to download them again with the Auto-Add Widgets option unchecked. After this, I noticed that the two apps are no longer listed as running when I don't have them open. Could just be my imagination but I think the battery life does seem to hold up better now.

On the whole, I did many many tweaks and stuff and I'm not exactly sure which one helped the most. But it has been fairly interesting and frustrating at the same time. Interesting because the Android system seems to allow for quite a bit of flexibility and freedom to tweak the phone to your liking. Frustrating because that freedom afforded to the user means that the user is thrown into the deep end from the start and is expected to figure out how best to optimize the phone (which is *not* functioning as it should out of the box). Certainly doesn't help that Samsung and the telco is allowed to load the thing with so much bloatware out of the box.

BFIB

So I'm in the market for a new phone after switching over to Verizon from AT&T, is the S3 still the best option out there?

If you're out of contract, Nexus 4 is a great choice. If you don't mind signing for a 2 year agreement, I'd recommend the GS3 for the add on storage options, and LTE.

If you're out of contract, Nexus 4 is a great choice. If you don't mind signing for a 2 year agreement, I'd recommend the GS3 for the add on storage options, and LTE.

I wanted to go with the Nexus 4 even without the LTE, but the AT&T service in my area is absolutely useless. I literally cannot call people within a 2 or 3 mile radius of my house, so it's time for a switch.

Stupid Verizon using CDMA / stupid google for not making a CDMA Nexus 4

BFIB

I wanted to go with the Nexus 4 even without the LTE, but the AT&T service in my area is absolutely useless. I literally cannot call people within a 2 or 3 mile radius of my house, so it's time for a switch.

Stupid Verizon using CDMA / stupid google for not making a CDMA Nexus 4

Oh yeah, thats right. Well, in that case, I'd recommend either the GS3 or the Note II.

BFIB

Is it safe to assume that if you don't care about the whole pen aspect of the Note II that the S3 is the better choice? In other words, are all other things equal?

Here's a chart breakdown. Keep in mind that in the US, the GS3 is the dual core model.

s3vsnote2.png

It's all going to come down to what feels better for you. I'd recommend going to your local store and get some hands on time with both.

Personally, I have the GS3, and I think its the best smartphone I've ever owned. I've owned iPhones since the original model up to the 4S. GS3 is an incredible piece of hardware.

BFIB

I'll definitely have to try that out, but jesus that's almost certainly way too big for a phone.

Yep, and I think the GS3's form factor is perfect. The 4.8" screen really pops, and I actually like Touchwiz, though a lot of people aren't fond of it.

I tried out a buddy's Note II, and while its a damn nice phone, its just too big for me as a smartphone.

ElyrionX

Personally, I have the GS3, and I think its the best smartphone I've ever owned. I've owned iPhones since the original model up to the 4S. GS3 is an incredible piece of hardware.

What makes you say that? Coming from an iPhone 3GS to this, it's been almost nothing but disappointment for me. The only redeeming factor has been the screen size which was the primary reason why I switched anyway.

BFIB

As you said, screen size for one. Other pluses for me are:

-Customization. Don't like Touchwiz? Just install CM10. Rooting is easy, and you can make your user experience exactly how you want it.
-Camera options. Granted, the iPhone 5 has taken massive leaps to gain even ground, but when I got the GS3, Panoramic photos were great. As were the quick shutter shots for moving images, and more options for regular photo taking. I pretty much rely on my smartphone as my camera, so these options were important to me at the time.
-Removable battery. Have I ever had an issue with a dead battery? Nope, but having the option to not only replace the existing battery, but also the ability to install a larger battery if needed.
-Expandable storage. I had a 64GB iPhone 4S, and I had that pretty much filled up. I like having my music on the go at any time. With my GS3, I have the ability to load an SD card and have all of my music there, and the internal storage for everything else.

This, plus some other features, including the motion settings, made me extremely happy with my switch to my first Droid.

What issues are you having with your phone? Maybe this thread can help you out and give you a better experience?

marrec

Banned
As you said, screen size for one. Other pluses for me are:

-Customization. Don't like Touchwiz? Just install CM10. Rooting is easy, and you can make your user experience exactly how you want it.
-Camera options. Granted, the iPhone 5 has taken massive leaps to gain even ground, but when I got the GS3, Panoramic photos were great. As were the quick shutter shots for moving images, and more options for regular photo taking. I pretty much rely on my smartphone as my camera, so these options were important to me at the time.
-Removable battery. Have I ever had an issue with a dead battery? Nope, but having the option to not only replace the existing battery, but also the ability to install a larger battery if needed.
-Expandable storage. I had a 64GB iPhone 4S, and I had that pretty much filled up. I like having my music on the go at any time. With my GS3, I have the ability to load an SD card and have all of my music there, and the internal storage for everything else.

This, plus some other features, including the motion settings, made me extremely happy with my switch to my first Droid.

What issues are you having with your phone? Maybe this thread can help you out and give you a better experience?

Those simple little motion control touches are amazingly useful when you notice how awesome they are.

Being able to call a contact by just putting my phone up to my ear makes me so happy.

What makes you say that? Coming from an iPhone 3GS to this, it's been almost nothing but disappointment for me. The only redeeming factor has been the screen size which was the primary reason why I switched anyway.

Coming from a 4s to GS3 I thought it was a big upgrade. Why is it such a huge disappointment to you?

Ephemeris

You know, I realized I wrote off the motion stuff immediately without trying any of them. lol

Yep, and I think the GS3's form factor is perfect. The 4.8" screen really pops, and I actually like Touchwiz, though a lot of people aren't fond of it.

I'm usually Pro-Stock but there's alot of nice touches in GS3's Touchwiz.

Touchwiz before the GS3? Meh.

BFIB

Some of it is gimmicky and not worth the hassle of ever getting used to (PAN TO ZOOM) but some of it just makes so much sense.

The swipe to photo has come in handy numerous times, as well as rejecting a call by simply turning the phone over.

Swag

Seems like my poor battery performance was caused by a dying micro SD card, kept un-mounting and Re Mounting causing the phone to constantly scan it's contents. Removed it for the day and got my excellent battery life back.

Sucks that I now have to go buy another micro SD card though

Toki767

Seems like my poor battery performance was caused by a dying micro SD card, kept un-mounting and Re Mounting causing the phone to constantly scan it's contents. Removed it for the day and got my excellent battery life back.

At least you aren't going to be paying $100 for an extra 16GB though.

McLovin

Anyone know if verizon gives you incentives to switch. I really like my phone and provider, but sprint laterally has no 4g LTE in my area. It feels like a waste to pay for a data plan and not have 4g.

Is there a certain web browser that will load gifs well, or is that just something the S3 isn't very good at? Half the time the gif won't animate, and if it does, it's extremely choppy.

Tried Firefox? I have had no problems on the Note II.

Thanks. Gifs work perfectly with Firefox. The only issue I have with it is how there is haptic feedback for every time you select a link. I don't want to turn off haptic feedback for my entire phone (I like the vibration whenever I select the menu and back buttons), so it's very annoying.

I'm the opposite. I don't miss my 3GS one bit and I was pretty invested in the app store too!

HildyB

I'm the opposite. I don't miss my 3GS one bit and I was pretty invested in the app store too!

I'm the same way, don't miss my iPhone 4 other than a few apps (games) and the spit and polish on the Android versions are not quite the level the iOS versions are. But I fixed that by getting an iPad Mini :p

Marco1

I live in the UK and been offered a 2 week old SG3 for a great price but it was an upgrade.
Will samsung still honour the warranty if it develops a fault?

Regarding stock Verizon, is there a guide somewhere to optimize my battery life?

I love the phone but dang, the battery life shouldn't be this bad.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Lately I've been having some issues.

I'm unsure if it's due to CM10, GoSMS, or both. I recently installed GoSMS because I like their interface and popup messages. However, there are times when I receive a text message and my phone locks up. Totally non-responsive. Then after about a minute of this it reboots.

My money is on the problem being with GoSMS.

OmegaFax

So I'm in the market for a new phone after switching over to Verizon from AT&T, is the S3 still the best option out there?

The Galaxy S III is still the best option currently available.

However, HTC and Verizon are set to announced a new phone with a rumored 1080p display on the 13th. It might be something to at least look at if your going to be tied to a specific carrier.

Oh yeah, thats right. Well, in that case, I'd recommend either the GS3 or the Note II.

I disagree with the Note II on Verizon because of the carrier branding. The Verizon logo is on the Note II's physical home button. Unless you aren't bothered by carrier branding and you prefer the Note II's size, I'd get the Galaxy S III.

The one thing I really liked about the Galaxy S III is how carrier agnostic it is physically. The battery cover is the only thing that has carrier branding on it and it is easy to replace.

I had that happen to me. My battery life was terrible and the MicroSD card eventually died after a month. I ordered a replacement and went with the SanDisk Ultra series rather than the regular black ones. So far, so good, I guess.

Any of you recently make the switch from iPhone to Android? My girlfriend and I tired with our iPhones, but we're both having trouble breaking the habit (I've had an iPhone since its first iteration). There are some things that worry me, mostly due to convenience: I have an MBA, so iCloud stuff (notes, contacts, etc.) all work so conveniently for me. I also like using iTunes to sync music, and I'm not entirely sure how one goes about doing this on Android.

Am I missing anything? Are my problems easily mitigated?

edit: I don't care about apps, really--I don't have much beyond those available on all platforms.

Marco1

Just received my GS3 and the first thing that hits you is the screen and weight. WOW!
Can't wait to get stuck into this thing.

Ixian

Any of you recently make the switch from iPhone to Android? My girlfriend and I tired with our iPhones, but we're both having trouble breaking the habit (I've had an iPhone since its first iteration). There are some things that worry me, mostly due to convenience: I have an MBA, so iCloud stuff (notes, contacts, etc.) all work so conveniently for me. I also like using iTunes to sync music, and I'm not entirely sure how one goes about doing this on Android.

Am I missing anything? Are my problems easily mitigated?

edit: I don't care about apps, really--I don't have much beyond those available on all platforms.
I did this switch after the iPhone 5 was announced. Like you, I've been using an iPhone since the first iteration -- in fact, I've owned every iteration, "s" or otherwise. The switch was pretty painless for me; though I own a Macbook Air, I don't make use of the Contacts app on OSX often and it's an easy process getting your contacts from OSX into Google. For music, I used the Google Play Music Manager to upload all of my music to Google Play, which you can upload 20,000 songs to for free. The Manager can actually monitor your iTunes library and upload songs for you automatically. You will lose the granularity of the five star rating system, but songs 4 stars and above are treated as a "Thumbs Up" in Google Play which is good enough for me. I'm not sure what other parts of the iTunes syncing process you like; I didn't hate iTunes syncing like most people do but I was pretty indifferent about the whole thing otherwise. For photos, I have the Dropbox app installed on my phone which automatically uploads photos as you take them. Then on my Macbook Air, I have an AppleScript that checks the Dropbox folder and imports any new photos into my iPhoto library automatically.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Wonderful post! Much obliged--it's looking more and more like this switch may actually happen (although by the time my contract is up the S4 will most likely be out)

Do you miss iMessage?

Top Bottom