• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S III (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

Got the Serenity ROM installed on my TMo GS3 and I gotta say, its the closest thing to having Stock without the BS having stock sometimes entails. Its basically TW from the Note 2 patched over

Since installing I'm still trying to figure out how, if possible, to revert to Nexus (Android) KB, Dialer, and a few other things, but the gallery and camera from the Note 2 are awesome.

Next I'll definitely flash the 'touchwiz 5x6 mod' and see if that works. It would cut down at least two screens for me.

Just goes to show that if youre a power user who doesnt mind getting their hands dirty and taking time to fuck with their device, it'll pay off.

My S3 started vibrating with my music today when I have the headphones in. Idk if I activated some setting or its a standard feature that happens when I use poweramp. But its kinda awesome.

Ixian

Wonderful post! Much obliged--it's looking more and more like this switch may actually happen (although by the time my contract is up the S4 will most likely be out)

Do you miss iMessage?
iMessage is nice, but I only communicate with a few people on a regular basis and of those people, the one I communicate with most also had WhatsApp so we just use that. The way iMessage integrates with the regular messaging app can't be beat, but I'm content with this setup.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Got the Serenity ROM installed on my TMo GS3 and I gotta say, its the closest thing to having Stock without the BS having stock sometimes entails. Its basically TW from the Note 2 patched over

Since installing I'm still trying to figure out how, if possible, to revert to Nexus (Android) KB, Dialer, and a few other things, but the gallery and camera from the Note 2 are awesome.

Next I'll definitely flash the 'touchwiz 5x6 mod' and see if that works. It would cut down at least two screens for me.

Just goes to show that if youre a power user who doesnt mind getting their hands dirty and taking time to fuck with their device, it'll pay off.

Dude this Serenity Rom is taking FOREVER to download. Is there a faster way I can get it other than from the XDA Link.

Look at this shit:
uMKXZ.png

BIGWORM

My S3 started vibrating with my music today when I have the headphones in. Idk if I activated some setting or its a standard feature that happens when I use poweramp. But its kinda awesome.

If you want to turn it off, go to sounds in the settings menu, scroll all the way to the button, and turn off auto haptic. It's an awesome feature, but kills battery like no tomorrow

Marco1

Been playing with this phone all day and absolutely loving it.
Such as step up from my iphone5 it's unreal. I just wished I had jumped onto the android bandwagon before.
I don't know why people think it feels cheap, I think it feels great and sturdy.

Marco1

so my mom calls me today...

"i just saw the Galaxy S III... i want one"

ONE MORE FOR THE GOOD GUYS, SORRY LG!

My wife has gotten the green envy, she doesn't know whether to move to nokia lumia or this from her iphone4S. Google maps may sway her towards GS3.
Also after upgrading to jellybean, google now scares me. It knows things!

My wife has gotten the green envy, she doesn't know whether to move to nokia lumia or this from her iphone4S. Google maps may sway her towards GS3.
Also after upgrading to jellybean, google now scares me. It knows things!

Nokia Maps is no slouch, plus it has real offline support. Yeah, Google Now is awesome.

rc213

Anyone catch Vampire Diaries and The Voice this past Thursday, It was like a whole night of Galaxy S3 demos. They used S Beam on both shows pretty clearly. With commercials shown as well.

DietRob

I find myself flashing new ROM's nearly every Saturday.

Is there a quick easy way to reload all of the apps I previously had other than DL each one from the Market again?

I know this is probably an idiotic question. I do own Titanium Back-up Pro. But I'm unsure if that is one of it's capabilities.

DietRob

Titanium Backup.

That is its main function.

Ok, so please explain this to me like a 5 year old, or maybe a link to a good video on how to restore apps once I've flashed a different ROM.

Like I said before I do own Titanium Backup Pro

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Ok, so please explain this to me like a 5 year old, or maybe a link to a good video on how to restore apps once I've flashed a different ROM.

Upper right corner is a piece of paper with a check mark. That takes you to the batch operation screen, where you can backup and restore all your apps.

In preferences you choose where to back up to and restore from,I prefer backing up to the sd card.

Don't back up system data, it doesn't work when changing roms. Just backup and restore apps and their data.

DietRob

Upper right corner is a piece of paper with a check mark. That takes you to the batch operation screen, where you can backup and restore all your apps.

In preferences you choose where to back up to and restore from,I prefer backing up to the sd card.

Don't back up system data, it doesn't work when changing roms. Just backup and restore apps and their data.

Thank you so much. I know it was a really dumb question but I appreciate you taking the time to explain it to me. I have a 16g SD card so I can just back up to that.

Just one more question once I flash the new rom and reinstall titanium pro. What do I press to get my old apps back?

Thank you so much. I know it was a really dumb question but I appreciate you taking the time to explain it to me. I have a 16g SD card so I can just back up to that.

Just one more question once I flash the new rom and reinstall titanium pro. What do I press to get my old apps back?

Same button except you restore your app data. Isn't there an option to make a flashable zip as well?

There's a backup/restore tab. You should just download it and play around. The reload all apps without prompting I believe is a paid feature. Well worth it though if you load lots of roms.

Does anyone use the DNLA with the Xbox? Prior to the last Xbox update i had to be in Media Center to shoot media over. Well today I was at the dashboard, and I was watching a vid on the phone and the little TV popped up to shoot it over to the TV. I don't know if this is new or, I just never noticed before.

I did install a new JB rom the other day, but IDK if that has anything to do with it.

DietRob

There's a backup/restore tab. You should just download it and play around. The reload all apps without prompting I believe is a paid feature. Well worth it though if you load lots of roms.

Yea, I have already paid for it.

Thanks for the answers everyone. I felt like such a noob asking those questions.

Edit: I just restored all my apps after going back to CM10 from Serenity which kept setting me to PST time for some reason.

Thanks again everyone.

Sorry if it's been discussed at length here.. I'm seeing all the upcoming black Friday deals coming through and am wondering what the general consensus is on the best network for the SG3.

I'm currently on vzw with a droid 2.. which is still fine.. but I'm looking to get off my parents plan to save them some money. Never really been in a situation to evaluate all the networks. Things like LTE availability/the fastest to update phones/available features seen on one network that aren't on another/ease of rooting and installing roms/ etc.

Allforce

Do new firmware updates like Ice Cream Sandwich and Jelly Bean have any noticeable effect on your experience if you're using a 3rd party launcher like Nova or Apex? Or are those official updates only really for stock users and change the look and function of those layouts?

Gaaraz

GAF, what the hell is going on with my battery - http://i.imgur.com/GbO55.png

Pretty average use - took maybe 5 photos, used the GPS for directions for maybe 5 minutes tops, and some very light browsing, and yet my battery won't last even a day? I went out at 11am and it didn't even last until I got home.

I do have power saving set to on by the way, and the brightness almost as low as possible (which btw, is still far too bright, especially at night in bed, the phone is unusable) and the battery got destroyed.

Any tips? I don't want to have to switch to a Nexus 4 so soon, I've only been using this one for around a month.

RuGalz

GAF, what the hell is going on with my battery - http://i.imgur.com/GbO55.png

Pretty average use - took maybe 5 photos, used the GPS for directions for maybe 5 minutes tops, and some very light browsing, and yet my battery won't last even a day? I went out at 11am and it didn't even last until I got home.

I do have power saving set to on by the way, and the brightness almost as low as possible (which btw, is still far too bright, especially at night in bed, the phone is unusable) and the battery got destroyed.

Any tips? I don't want to have to switch to a Nexus 4 so soon, I've only been using this one for around a month.

If the picture is any indicator, your signal isn't that great. Mine bounces between 3G and 4G all the time at work and the phone lasts about a day at best. If I'm home it can go on for 2 days easily with similar usage. Also open up Android System category to see if there's any service running that you aren't expecting it to.

Gaaraz

Yeah, that was taken from my friend's pub that's in the middle of no where, I spent the majority of the day in Bath (UK) with okay signal, but definitely not 4G or anything like that.

Android System has loads of crap running that I have no clue about unfortunately, same story with some of the other items, I mean... Android System, Device Standby, Device Idle, Android OS - why split that into four categories?

RuGalz

Yeah, that was taken from my friend's pub that's in the middle of no where, I spent the majority of the day in Bath (UK) with okay signal, but definitely not 4G or anything like that.

Android System has loads of crap running that I have no clue about unfortunately, same story with some of the other items, I mean... Android System, Device Standby, Device Idle, Android OS - why split that into four categories?

Other thing to check is just disabling Samsung services. On my phone I pretty much disabled all their bloatware, the one that seem to have most effect on battery is Samsung Push. Other things like, weather daemon, news, S voice, S suggest, etc also can have effects. Some apps, even though you don't use it, merely having them installed on the phone seem to drain battery too and those tend to be more difficult to hunt down without using other more advanced battery tracking app and a lot of time. Usually if I notice my battery life degrades after installing an app even if it's not active, I uninstall it pretty much right away and never use it again.

Edit: go to Application Manager->All tab to disable them one by one.

Gaaraz

Other thing to check is just disabling Samsung services. On my phone I pretty much disabled all their bloatware, the one that seem to have most effect on battery is Samsung Push. Other things like, weather daemon, news, S voice, S suggest, etc also can have effects. Some apps, even though you don't use it, merely having them installed on the phone seem to drain battery too and those tend to be more difficult to hunt down without using other more advanced battery tracking app and a lot of time. Usually if I notice my battery life degrades after installing an app even if it's not active, I uninstall it pretty much right away and never use it again.

Edit: go to Application Manager->All tab to disable them one by one.
Ah, many thanks, I'll disable them all now :) Not keen on any of the Samsung bloatware tbh, shame you can't uninstall it without rooting the phone.

Is there anyway to lower the brightness below the lowest on the slider?

vermadas

My wife and I got new S3 phones with the Best Buy $99 deal a couple weeks back. We are coming from T-Mobile G2s so we're missing the hardware keyboards but otherwise the phones are fantastic. I have some questions:

- Is there anything cool/useful that can be done with the NFC / S Beam feature? I see I can share media but I can't see myself utilizing that too much.

- Does the stock keyboard stand up to the best 3rd party offerings (Swype?) Having been using a hardware keyboard for the last couple years I have no basis of comparison.

- I usually roll without a case because I'm extra careful with my phone, but I'm worried about dropping the S3. Single handed use + thin form factor + large screen + slippery back means I don't trust my grip as much. Any case recommendations? Protection is not my first priority; I just need something that'll make it easier to grip the phone. Something low cost and available on Amazon (have Prime) would be nice.

- The notification sound selection is pretty awful. Recommendations on a good free pack to download somewhere?

Thanks in advance.

marrec

Banned
My wife and I got new S3 phones with the Best Buy $99 deal a couple weeks back. We are coming from T-Mobile G2s so we're missing the hardware keyboards but otherwise the phones are fantastic. I have some questions:

- Is there anything cool/useful that can be done with the NFC / S Beam feature? I see I can share media but I can't see myself utilizing that too much.

- Does the stock keyboard stand up to the best 3rd party offerings (Swype?) Having been using a hardware keyboard for the last couple years I have no basis of comparison.

- I usually roll without a case because I'm extra careful with my phone, but I'm worried about dropping the S3. Single handed use + thin form factor + large screen + slippery back means I don't trust my grip as much. Any case recommendations? Protection is not my first priority; I just need something that'll make it easier to grip the phone. Something low cost and available on Amazon (have Prime) would be nice.

- The notification sound selection is pretty awful. Recommendations on a good free pack to download somewhere?

Thanks in advance.

Noooooo!

Get SwiftKey. I HATED touch screen keyboards until I got SwiftKey.

BELLEVUE, Wash. — Nov. 12, 2012 — Shift your holiday shopping into high gear with T-Mobile® this November and get ahead of the Black Friday rush. For two days only, Nov. 16– 17, customers can purchase a Samsung 4G smartphone, including the wildly popular Samsung Galaxy S® III, for free with qualifying plans.

New and existing eligible customers can take advantage of this pre-holiday sale. Customers will receive their device for free, after a mail-in rebate card, when they sign up for a new two-year contract on any qualifying unlimited Classic plan, or for a $0.00 down payment (after a mail-in rebate card) when signing up for a new two-year contract on a new qualifying Unlimited Value® plan with an Equipment Installment Plan (EIP).3

oh snap!

RuGalz

Ah, many thanks, I'll disable them all now :) Not keen on any of the Samsung bloatware tbh, shame you can't uninstall it without rooting the phone.

Is there anyway to lower the brightness below the lowest on the slider?

I don't think there is anyway to lower the brightness any further, especially since you said you already have all the power saving mode enabled... I think the only way to make it darker is with custom skin that primarily uses darker colors.

Is there any word on when Verizon is getting jelly bean?

There's been two leaks recently so it may be close...

liger05

Can upgrade early and now looking at this or the note 2 but edging more to the S3.

How easy is the S3 to root?
Do you guys find the screen dim at all?
What do you think of the battery life

If I wasnt to root is touchwiz awful? Hows the Jellybean update effected the S3?

It's super easy to root. There's a toolkit that walks you through the entire process

Personally its my second most easily rooted device, the first being a kindle

The screen is awesome. HD video looks amazing on it. I don't really pay enough attention to battery life so I can't say anything about that

Oyashiro

Noooooo!

Get SwiftKey. I HATED touch screen keyboards until I got SwiftKey.

What does SwiftKey have over the stock keyboard? Is the stock keyboard the same as the keyboard on the Note II? I just tried the Note II at my ATT store today and I actually thought it was fine.

Top Bottom