• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S III (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
What does SwiftKey have over the stock keyboard? Is the stock keyboard the same as the keyboard on the Note II? I just tried the Note II at my ATT store today and I actually thought it was fine.

Personally I find the layout to be more appealing, the stock keyboard it seems you have to hit in a very specific spot to get the right letter. With SwiftKey I feel that I'm typing faster.

Also predictive text is really neat.

Oyashiro

I kinda like the whole swyping feature, though. I wish SwiftKey had that. I played around with it in the store and was typing pretty fast.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
doesnt the leaked JB 4.1.2 KB have this as well?

I have it installed (As it comes with every rom) and its almost as good as the Windows Phone keyboard here.

The 4.2 keyboard also has Swype but it isn't nearly as good at it as Swype is.

The big problem with Swype right now is that it has tons of problems with web forms. It is completely broken in most Android browsers other than stock and chrome.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Think I'm gonna try and put cm10 on my s3 tonight.

#SuperNexus

7TulY.gif

Join me.

Got the Serenity ROM installed on my TMo GS3 and I gotta say, its the closest thing to having Stock without the BS having stock sometimes entails. Its basically TW from the Note 2 patched over

Since installing I'm still trying to figure out how, if possible, to revert to Nexus (Android) KB, Dialer, and a few other things, but the gallery and camera from the Note 2 are awesome.

Next I'll definitely flash the 'touchwiz 5x6 mod' and see if that works. It would cut down at least two screens for me.

Just goes to show that if youre a power user who doesnt mind getting their hands dirty and taking time to fuck with their device, it'll pay off.

Does the TMO ROM work with the UK version?

Gaaraz

I don't think there is anyway to lower the brightness any further, especially since you said you already have all the power saving mode enabled... I think the only way to make it darker is with custom skin that primarily uses darker colors.
Ah damn, that's a shame - thanks though... I was thinking for apps/games etc too, sometimes it's nice to play in bed, but it's bright enough to hurt my eyes and keep my girlfriend awake... so will stick with the iPad I guess :(

marrec

Banned
What does SwiftKey have over the stock keyboard? Is the stock keyboard the same as the keyboard on the Note II? I just tried the Note II at my ATT store today and I actually thought it was fine.

The two big reasons have been stated. Predictive text and it feels like the keys have a bigger hitbox or something. I feel like I hit the one I want more frequently and thus can type faster. Also much more customizable than the stock keyboard.

Gonna try CM10 out. I heard gapps doesn't come with gmail anymore though? Is there a specific apk for the jelly bean gmail app that everyone is using?

Also looking to try out that new 4.2 camera if anyone has a link for that

Received my backcover with wireless charging built in. It seems to charge as fast as the usb cable charges. Pretty nice for the bed side table. It does break NFC but I have not used that yet so I'm ok with it.

nib95

Banned
Meh, you guys with all your rooted ROM's. I still like my stock Touchiz now Jellyfied and still retaining those glorious Samsung exclusive software features. Assuming SmartStay, S Beam over Direct WiFi, ShareShot etc are still exclusive to Touchwiz.

Meh, you guys with all your rooted ROM's. I still like my stock Touchiz now Jellyfied and still retaining those glorious Samsung exclusive software features. Assuming SmartStay, S Beam over Direct WiFi, ShareShot etc are still exclusive to Touchwiz.

there are custom roms with TouchWiz

and you don't even need a custom rom to root, just a pre-rooted kernel

But if you load a Note 2 rom like I did, you get even more exclusive samsung features!

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Damn, I may end up going Android instead of iOS. How hard it is to sync iCloud features like my calendar to an Android device? Are music/media players suitable for a iPod replacement? I really have no idea about Android stuff.

Damn, I may end up going Android instead of iOS. How hard it is to sync iCloud features like my calendar to an Android device? Are music/media players suitable for a iPod replacement? I really have no idea about Android stuff.

Piece of cake syncing calendar/tasks/contacts/notes. Stock Music player is great and a few you can download that seem to be awesome as well.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Piece of cake syncing calendar/tasks/contacts/notes. Stock Music player is great and a few you can download that seem to be awesome as well.

Okay, thanks. I'm definitely looking into it. I guess I should probably ask stuff like this in a more general Android thread.

tigerin

It's super easy to root. There's a toolkit that walks you through the entire process

Personally its my second most easily rooted device, the first being a kindle

The screen is awesome. HD video looks amazing on it. I don't really pay enough attention to battery life so I can't say anything about that

damn, still waiting on the tutorial for Mac users.

ElyrionX

You can sync stuff like contacts and calendar to GS3 quite easily but expect to run into a few hiccups. Several of my contacts got messed up when syncing my GS3 with my Google contacts. Also the default contacts app is not fantastic. It doesn't even have separate fields for first and last name.

Music-wise, all my stuff are ripped from CDs so transferring them to the GS3 was just a simple task of copying the files over to the SD card. The default music player did a decent job of recognizing the file tags with all the info on the music including artists, album titles and cover art. However, once again, there are hiccups such as some songs not appearing when selecting tracks by artist but showing up when selecting by albums.

On the whole, transferring most stuff from iOS to the GS3 works but don't expect it to be a hassle-free or smooth experience.

You can sync stuff like contacts and calendar to GS3 quite easily but expect to run into a few hiccups. Several of my contacts got messed up when syncing my GS3 with my Google contacts. Also the default contacts app is not fantastic. It doesn't even have separate fields for first and last name.

My contacts has a first and last name field.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
How come I don't get the voice with Google search in CM10?

Yes the volume is up. :p

Did you lower the volume then raise the volume? There is a weird volume bug in CM10 that when you first flash the rom, you have to lower then raise all the volumes before the volume actually works properly.

You can really screw yourself when it comes to alarms because of this.

zedge

Did you lower the volume then raise the volume? There is a weird volume bug in CM10 that when you first flash the rom, you have to lower then raise all the volumes before the volume actually works properly.

You can really screw yourself when it comes to alarms because of this.

Tried that, no go.

Gaaraz

Tempted to go CM10 but unsure, as I see it...

+ No more Samsung crap
+ Better battery life

- Hassle of being rooted
- Hassle of transferring everything across
- Certain apps, such as Sky Go, simply will not work

Anything else I haven't considered?

Music-wise, all my stuff are ripped from CDs so transferring them to the GS3 was just a simple task of copying the files over to the SD card. The default music player did a decent job of recognizing the file tags with all the info on the music including artists, album titles and cover art. However, once again, there are hiccups such as some songs not appearing when selecting tracks by artist but showing up when selecting by albums.

On the whole, transferring most stuff from iOS to the GS3 works but don't expect it to be a hassle-free or smooth experience.

iirc, the contacts field when you're creating just has a single name field, but when you go back to edit, it has first and last...

RuGalz

+ No more Samsung crap
+ Better battery life

- Hassle of being rooted

lack of various quick setting options in notification is actually pretty annoying

RuGalz

What? You mean the notification toggles aren't standard Android? Jeeeez

It has like 4... but yea there are little things I miss from various skinned roms for sure. 4.2 adds more toggles as standard.

Edit: check out AOKP, you can customize toggles.

ElyrionX

iirc, the contacts field when you're creating just has a single name field, but when you go back to edit, it has first and last...

I went back to test this and you're right it has first and last name but not just when you edit. Apparently, you need to hit the little button beside the field to enter the name to expand the field options so you get the option to enter by first and last name. This applies to when you create a new contact as well as when you edit an existing one. I never did notice that button before. Learn something new everyday, I guess.

ScOULaris

+ No more Samsung crap
+ Better battery life

- Hassle of being rooted

It's not a hassle at all. Once you've flashed a custom recovery on there (i.e. Clockworkmod Recovery), everything is a total breeze. I just recently took the plunge with my Nexus S and rooted/ROM'ed it, and my only regret is that I waited so long to do it.

lack of various quick setting options in notification is actually pretty annoying

Um, what? In CM10 you can customize the quick toggles in the notification bar to include pretty much every setting there is.

Settings > Interface > Notification Bar

zedge

It has like 4... but yea there are little things I miss from various skinned roms for sure. 4.2 adds more toggles as standard.

Edit: check out AOKP, you can customize toggles.
There's a lot more than 4. You can even add cell data toggles, a flash light,, media controls, plus all the standard stuff.

rc213

Tmobile trolling me, The morning after I give my sister the GSIII they drop jelly bean on it. I can't even play around with it. :(

Come on and ship my Nexus 4 google.

kaskade

That's a nice surprise. I'm just hoping I can get the update to work while keeping my root. Hopefully everything goes smoothly as it's updating now.

Top Bottom