• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S III (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

kaskade

Ok, Google now is pretty damn awesome. Like for instance. I just said "Can I have directions to <random place nearby>" Finds it auto opens my map app with everything already set.

Edit: You can also do navigation to just go right into that.

Ephemeris

Still no Jellybean for me on my Sprint S3. :(

Follow these steps :

1. Disconnect your phone from the computer
2. Start "Kies" update to latest version (if reqd)
3. Click "Tools" -> "Firmware Upgrade and Initialisation"
4. Enter "Model name" = GT-I9300 and click "OK".
5. Enter "Serial Number" on next screen and click "OK". (The Serial no. can be found on the sticker in the battery compartment. Eg: S/N: XXXXXX)
6. Click "OK" on next screen
7. The next screen will display the Firmware version {PDA:LJ5 / PHONE:LJ1 / CSC:LI7 (INU)}. Click "OK" to proceed.
8. Wait a while till the system downloads firmware upgrade components
9. Follow the instructions on next screen, connect the phone & switch to "Download" mode, click the check box to accept that you have read the information and click "Start Upgrade" to start the process.
10. The latest firmware will be downloaded and phone will restart with LJ5 installed.

Gaaraz

Thanks, sounds like changing the notication toggles isn't an issue then... shame, I almost wished it didn't, as I'd have a good excuse to stay with what I'm on :D Hmm... CM10 very tempting now

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Thanks, sounds like changing the notication toggles isn't an issue then... shame, I almost wished it didn't, as I'd have a good excuse to stay with what I'm on :D Hmm... CM10 very tempting now

Do it. CM10 is the best of the ROM's I've put on my GS3. I've tried about 5 or so.

So i am thinking about getting a S3 since the nexus 4 fuck up from google.

Are there big differences between jb 4.1 and 4.2? Is there going to be an update for the s3? Or is 4.1 more than enough? Never had an android phone. I'm coming from an iPhone 4 so sorry for the noob question.

tigerin

as I was thinking what took tmobile so long to roll out the update for galaxy s3 and was delighted to find out they just did this morning. =)

Fantastical

Death Prophet
So I'm with Verizon, and I have a "free upgrade available". I saw that Sam's Club is selling this for a dollar on Black Friday. Am I eligible for that? I'm under my parent's cell phone bill, and I'm not sure how this exactly works. I've had the upgrade for months, but I haven't used it.

Thanks.

Mr Swine

Banned
Just got my S3, but I want to know what the eff "Galaxy S3 simple login" is when login into my Facebook account? In Swedish it's called "enkel inloggning" which translates to "simple login". Is it a new feature only for S3 users? And yes it's the official app from the app store

RuGalz

Um, what? In CM10 you can customize the quick toggles in the notification bar to include pretty much every setting there is.

Settings > Interface > Notification Bar

Really? I was looking for it for like 10 minutes. Oh well AOKP works fine for me for now until official VZW JB comes out. Neither of these roms seem to have global radio option which would suck if I forget to switch rom when I travel in the future.

Edit: Just switched back to CM10 Stable release, nop, can't find Settings->Interface->Notification Bar... That notification bar is missing...

Edit 2: never mind, it's located in Settings->System->Notification Drawer now

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
So my phone had an unfortunate run in with the ground, and I had to upgrade. I have one of these on the way.

Am I in for good times?

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Wired how? All you need for Android phones are an aux cable and a micro USB cable.

Well, I'm not exactly sure how it works. I bought the car and it has a cable with a connector that plugs into the bottom of my iPod/iPhone. Could I potentially buy a cheap solution that would fit this phone? I have no idea how this works. :p

EDIT: Perhaps I should look more into this. I'm completely clueless when it comes to audio stuff.

Toki767

Well, I'm not exactly sure how it works. I bought the car and it has a cable with a connector that plugs into the bottom of my iPod/iPhone. Could I potentially buy a cheap solution that would fit this phone? I have no idea how this works. :p

EDIT: Perhaps I should look more into this. I'm completely clueless when it comes to audio stuff.
That cable is probably a USB cable on the other side of it. What car do you have?

Toki767

Ah well if it makes you feel better, even if you got an iPhone 5 instead you would still be screwed with that cable and need a new one.

JambiBum

So looking at that toolkit, can I use it on my VZW S3 or no? Everything in the forum post says something about the other carriers.

zedge

Couldn't get the google voice search voice to work so re flashed CM10.

Working great now.. also notice more things here and there.. :/ (ringtones, wallpapers etc)

Must not have flashed properly last time.

RuGalz

So looking at that toolkit, can I use it on my VZW S3 or no? Everything in the forum post says something about the other carriers.

If you are still on stock, follow this to root:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1792342

Then find VZW EZ-Unlock in Play Store to unlock bootloader.

Wrt CM10, meh, I'm back to leaked JB Stock. CM10 is probably worse compared to the stock variant when it comes to Bluetooth connectivity. There's no build in phone book access profile so I can't access phone book from my car. Voice dial is broken like every other rom. Bluetooth connection is unreliable. Hopefully they can fix those issues but it seems like bluetooth functions are the last thing on everyone's mind.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Just got the update from Tmo and holy fucking shit Jelly Bean is blazing fast and Google Now is incredible. Fucking awesome update.

GS3 -> Cricket

SAN DIEGO, Nov. 14, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Cricket Communications, Inc. today announced the availability of its second 4G LTE smartphone, Samsung Galaxy S® III (R530). Cricket's Samsung Galaxy S III smartphone with its brilliant 4.8 inch display, and no contract, unlimited data, talk and text plans from $50 per month would make a stunning gift for the holidays. Find yours at Cricket company-owned stores, dealers and at www.mycricket.com by November 23, 2012 for $549.99 (MSRP).

The Samsung Galaxy S III is available on Cricket's new 4G LTE Android Double Data service plans that offer, for a limited time, double the monthly full speed data allowance offered in Cricket's 3G rate plans. The $50 4G LTE Android Double Data Rate Plan allows 2GB of full-speed data; the $60 plan allows 5GB of full-speed data and the $70 plan offers 10GB of full-speed data.

http://leapwireless.mediaroom.com/2...ine-Up-of-High-Quality-Affordable-Smartphones

Gaaraz

Many thanks to everyone for your help with regards to my battery life a couple of pages ago, my battery life is a lot better now since installing JuiceDefender!

Hamzi.png

Will further improve it by switching off wifi completely when I'm out during the day, and turning off data when I'm at home and have a wifi signal. AirPlane mode is tempting over night too!

If I need the extra power, I'll switch off location services for Google Now and see what impact that has :) But yeah, a big improvement already! Thanks again

Top Bottom