• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S III (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

LordAlu

It's wireless charging as in just putting it on a pad. Also, why when the commercial was being shown did it cut to a camera miles away moving around? :/

Flip cover image looks nice.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
How is their wireless charging implementation any different from what Palm did back in 2009?

Supposedly according to rumours, the phone doesn't have to be touching the dock at all. It could be like a meter away.

JoeFu

Banned
So looking at the international version it doesn't support T-Mobile's bands, which is normal I guess. Too bad it doesn't support the same bands the Galaxy Nexus does.

Also not getting the pentile hate, the screen on my Nexus is amazing, I mean i get some purple in my grays when its at 0% brightness, but mine is never there...

gcubed

Wtf it looks worse than the Droid x which is 2 years old and lower res. You can easily see that the width between pixels and it creates a low res look even tho it's not.

now your just being an idiot if you think the Gnex screen looks worse then the Droid X

rozay

Banned
you do realize that those pixels are "off" unlike the rest of the phone, so the burn in is impossible?
Well from what I saw in pictures, that's the actual problem...the softkey strip looks visibly different compared to the other 98% of the screen. I'm guessing it's a similar issue to how people tell you to watch content without black borders for the first 200ish hours when breaking in a plasma TV.

Also, the battery and time on my nexus one are actually burned into the screen lol. I never use it in landscape so nothing else is rendered there.

gcubed

Well from what I saw in pictures, that's the actual problem...the softkey strip looks visibly different compared to the other 98% of the screen. I'm guessing it's a similar issue to how people tell you to watch content without black borders for the first 200ish hours when breaking in a plasma TV.

Also, the battery and time on my nexus one are actually burned into the screen lol. I never use it in landscape so nothing else is rendered there.

i dont notice it while watching a movie on mine. If you had burn in like that, you should replace the phone. IR is definitely a "feature" of OLED unfortunately

May 29th for superior Euro version.

Oozer3993

Wtf it looks worse than the Droid x which is 2 years old and lower res. You can easily see that the width between pixels and it creates a low res look even tho it's not.

I went from a Droid X to a Galaxy Nexus and I don't have a clue what you're talking about. The screen on the Nexus is leagues better than the one on the Droid X. It's not even remotely close.

Blackhead

Redarse
Anandtech put up a review of the Galaxy Nexus pentile screen:
Anandtech said:
For me at least, the Galaxy Nexus display exceeds my visual acuity - I cannot pick out subpixels at all on the Galaxy Nexus. Quite literally, the RGBG subpixel stripe is now small enough that it is beyond visual acuity at standard viewing distance (1 foot).

kinggroin

Banned
Rip off Airplay: check
Rip off Siri: check
Reused Pentile screen: check
Reused Camera: check

The camera is good so that's not a problem. Airplay-similar features are a good addition as long as it works properly. I love Airplay. The only inexcusable thing is the screen. No excuse for cheaping out on a crappy screen. But as long as the marketing blurb will say 720p people will ignore (or not understand) the reason why it looks so poor

But it doesn't look "so poor"

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
They sound like aliens trying their hardest to pretend to be human.

"Yes we are humans, doing perfectly normal human things! Look at me eating this human food!"

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Very disappointed. All glossy plastic, pentile display, plus the same camera? Nope, lets see what HTC and Nokia have for the fall and winter. I've bought two Samsung phones in a row, but that streak is about to end.

thirty

Banned
I went from a Droid X to a Galaxy Nexus and I don't have a clue what you're talking about. The screen on the Nexus is leagues better than the one on the Droid X. It's not even remotely close.

Yeah it is. Just as the x2 looks worse than the original. Again a fine example
galaxy-s-iii-microscope-one-x.jpg

Even tho there are more pixels, It still looks off. Sure technically it's better but to the eyes of some there's a difference

Cipherr

Woops, my mistake. Thought it was. Even still, as someone else mentioned, the Galaxy Nexus screen looks better than my phone and it is pentile. I just think pentile talk is way overdone.

Pentile at these resolutions is a relatively minor thing. But its still a thing. The truth of the matter is there is a phone out with a better screen that the one in the S3. Theres is a phone out with a much more lovely design than the S3. And in the US, that very same phone will be out soon/now, and will use the same SoC making them all the same speed.

Top Bottom