• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S III (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

JVIDICAN

So after spending a few days with the stable att cm10 "supernexus" rom I think I'll be returning stock once 4.1.2s available. Phone gets really hot after 10 minutes of use, and while not frequent the crashes are getting a little annoying. :/

kaskade

Wow, I didn't realize google latitude tracked my location all the time. Kind of creepy but also cool. When I was about to drive home from class the other day it told me the traffic conditions. Fucking future man, it's here.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Wow, I didn't realize google latitude tracked my location all the time. Kind of creepy but also cool. When I was about to drive home from class the other day it told me the traffic conditions. Fucking future man, it's here.

Just imagine when the self driving Google car is released for production. You won't even have to think about where you want to go just get in the car and Google will take you there.

So after spending a few days with the stable att cm10 "supernexus" rom I think I'll be returning stock once 4.1.2s available. Phone gets really hot after 10 minutes of use, and while not frequent the crashes are getting a little annoying. :/

Clear battery stats? My phone had way battery life on CM10 than TW.

Okay, this is probably a stupid question, but I figured I'd ask.

I have an iPhone 3G that I've had for a couple years and I'm upgrading and get an S3 this Thanksgiving. My question is, would it be possible (or easy) for me to transfer just about everything from my 3G to my S3? I'd like to be able to have my notes, contacts, and text message history all transferred over. Is that possible?

Thanks a lot guys.

Jerrod

So my white s3 I got from ATT in July broke a few days ago. It somehow bricked itself to the point where it won't turn on at all. I don't know what happened, it was at 20% one night and I plugged it into my computer via the USB cable to charge and when I checked it an hour later it wouldn't turn on. ATT is sending me a new phone and battery for free but what happened to my phone? No custom rom and not rooted so it wasn't anything I did.

So my white s3 I got from ATT in July broke a few days ago. It somehow bricked itself to the point where it won't turn on at all. I don't know what happened, it was at 20% one night and I plugged it into my computer via the USB cable to charge and when I checked it an hour later it wouldn't turn on. ATT is sending me a new phone and battery for free but what happened to my phone? No custom rom and not rooted so it wasn't anything I did.

you are the 3%

Early Galaxy S3 Android 4.1.2 firmware leaks, multi-view feature in tow

It's been rumored previously, and now there's more evidence to suggest that the Samsung Galaxy S3 will be getting the "multi-view" feature from the Note 2 in its upcoming Android 4.1.2 update. An early, leaked version of the ROM obtained by SamMobile also adds many other Note 2 features, including smart rotation, Paper Artist, a new gallery app and the Note 2's SwiftKey-powered keyboard.

For the uninitiated, multi-window allows you to split the screen between two full-fledged Android apps by long-pressing the back key. It wasn't quite ready for the Galaxy Note 2's launch, but was added in an over-the-air update few days later.
oh snap!

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
Dunno if this is talked about in here (or allowed, idk), but I'm going to be picking this up soon. Is there anyway to have the UI look like the jellybean UI, like the Nexus for instance? Been wondering this as the general look of the S3 is a little annoying to me.

EDIT: CM10 I'm guessing is the thing I'm looking for.

this_guy

Dunno if this is talked about in here (or allowed, idk), but I'm going to be picking this up soon. Is there anyway to have the UI look like the jellybean UI, like the Nexus for instance? Been wondering this as the general look of the S3 is a little annoying to me.

To just change the look (icons etc) you can download a launcher such as Nova and download a jellybean theme. You don't need to be rooted either.

Cipherr

CM10 would do it, but honestly a launcher will give you that exact look without you needing to bother with rooting. Just buy a good launcher and you will have the look you want.

Toki767

The launcher will only change the homescreen and the app drawer. If you want to change how things like the notification drawer and settings and such look, you will need to install a custom ROM.

kaskade

Just imagine when the self driving Google car is released for production. You won't even have to think about where you want to go just get in the car and Google will take you there.

Again, kind of scary but totally awesome. Imagine getting in your car at 8:45 and it just knows you're going to work. Integrating voice commands you could ask it to stop at the coffee shop on main street or wherever on the way.

Bucca

So those of you who bought your phone from T-Mobile, how much pre-installed junk is on the device? I remember some of their phones being pretty bad about it.

Also,what are the cons/hassles to using CM10?

kaskade

So those of you who bought your phone from T-Mobile, how much pre-installed junk is on the device? I remember some of their phones being pretty bad about it.

Also,what are the cons/hassles to using CM10?

There's a few T-Mobile apps like My account and stuff like that. I think with the JB update they added a Zynga app as well. I'm rooted so I can just delete that stuff off the phone.

liger05

Hey got the S3 today but wondering if I have a dodgy handset. When the phone goes into standby and I hit the power button the phone is frozen on lockscreen. I cant swipe or do anything. Once I hit that power button on/off a couple times the phone comes to life again but its damn annoying.

Bucca

Anyone wanna recommend me a nice, relatively cheap, case? I'd prefer a hard one if possible. The otterbox commuter for the S3 is only around 17$ on Amazon right now, but I hear the amount of force you have to exert to push the volume/power buttons is way harder than expected.

Cipherr

Hey got the S3 today but wondering if I have a dodgy handset. When the phone goes into standby and I hit the power button the phone is frozen on lockscreen. I cant swipe or do anything. Once I hit that power button on/off a couple times the phone comes to life again but its damn annoying.

Try a factory reset and check for an update? If that doesn't clear it I would immediately take it back for a replacement.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Anyone wanna recommend me a nice, relatively cheap, case? I'd prefer a hard one if possible. The otterbox commuter for the S3 is only around 17$ on Amazon right now, but I hear the amount of force you have to exert to push the volume/power buttons is way harder than expected.

I really like the incipio case.

Bucca

Hopefully my nearby T-Mobile store won't run out of stock tomorrow. Can't get there till earlier in the afternoon :(.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Wish Verizon was doing what T-Mobile is doing. :( I would have a new phone tomorrow.

EDIT: Now that I am basically sure I'm getting this phone, I'm trying to find all the reasons not to. :p Is the screen more fragile than most smartphones or something (like an iPhone 5)? I'm reading some reviews, and a lot of people seem to be talking about how fragile the screen is.

What is the best protective case? I see a suggestion for incipio. Any others?

Ephemeris

So there I am, feeling pretty damned good about this update.

Then I rediscovered that Universal Search is back.

ibgxCHTqFMcw2t.gif

Bucca

EDIT: Now that I am basically sure I'm getting this phone, I'm trying to find all the reasons not to. :p Is the screen more fragile than most smartphones or something (like an iPhone 5)? I'm reading some reviews, and a lot of people seem to be talking about how fragile the screen is.

The screen is made of Gorilla Glass 2 (iirc). The "glass" is pretty damn durable (coming from another device with it). Scratches and such won't get on it very easily.

Change governor under performance. Turn it off from interactive to ondemand or conservatie

Tough one. How important is storage and battery life to you? And do you prefer Sense or Touchwiz?

While 16GB is probably enough, having expandable memory is always a plus (plus I have a 32 GB card in my current phone I'd like to keep using). I prefer Sense but I'm okay with Touchwiz as that's what I use in my current phone. I've read battery life is about even between the two phones, but it's not a huge deal as I have chargers in my office, home, and car.

Cipherr

While 16GB is probably enough, having expandable memory is always a plus (plus I have a 32 GB card in my current phone I'd like to keep using). I prefer Sense but I'm okay with Touchwiz as that's what I use in my current phone. I've read battery life is about even between the two phones, but it's not a huge deal as I have chargers in my office, home, and car.

To me it sounds like the DNA might be the one you should go for then.

TheTowel

Play with the DNA when it's in stores. The new htc devices feel really well built. But expandable memory and swappable battery are very nice.

nib95

Banned

If you prefer sense, don't need too much storage and have multiple chargers, I'd probably go DNA. You'll just have to be a bit more selective with storage and media is all.

sounds like you should get the GS3.. saying "probably enough" means you're not 100% sure. better safe than sorry.

Early Galaxy S3 Android 4.1.2 firmware leaks, multi-view feature in tow

It's been rumored previously, and now there's more evidence to suggest that the Samsung Galaxy S3 will be getting the "multi-view" feature from the Note 2 in its upcoming Android 4.1.2 update. An early, leaked version of the ROM obtained by SamMobile also adds many other Note 2 features, including smart rotation, Paper Artist, a new gallery app and the Note 2's SwiftKey-powered keyboard.

For the uninitiated, multi-window allows you to split the screen between two full-fledged Android apps by long-pressing the back key. It wasn't quite ready for the Galaxy Note 2's launch, but was added in an over-the-air update few days later.

Where the fuck is my Jelly Bean and multi-view update for my Note 10.1 samsung!?

snap0212

Since I have the European version of the S3, I only have 1GB ram and there’s so much crap running in the background that I only have about 80MB free. What’s annoying is that I don’t know what half of these things actually do: Factory mode? Software update? MAPServicesSamsung, Samsung Push Service, SecPhone?

This is really the only thing I don’t like about Android. I tell the App to stop running and it’ll just start up again (Words with Friends, for example). I’d guess that having so many things run in the background also affects my battery life.

BiggNife

Sounds like you'd be fine with either phone. I guess if I were you I'd probably get the DNA if only because I love high-res screens and the allure of a 1080p phone would be too much for me, but I'm definitely satisfied with my S3 and I have no regrets getting it when I did.

Top Bottom