• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S III (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
So, I've got an upgrade to burn. This or Droid DNA? iPhone is out (way too many paid apps to give up), and the Note is just too fucking big.

the big draw to the DNA is the display so i would say that you should have an in person look at one before you decide.

personally im a big fan of amoled and the contrast on my s3 still gives me an appreciative pause on occasion, even after 5 months.

edit: but another big thing to consider is the DNA has a quad core s4 and an andreno 320 (i think) so itll be a loooot faster (maybe not so much graphically if the graphics are native 1080).

After a day or so of using stable CM10 I am loving it, I never had any problems with stock and thought it was fast but this is a lot faster for me, and has a little bit of a battery life increase.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Got a system update the other night and upgraded my phone yesterday morning. I haven't checked to see what version I am now or anything like that but the keyboard upgrade is a godsend. Previously the only "hold" choices I got were for the numbers on the top row of letters, now everything has a symbol or punctuation option (like every other digital keyboard I've ever used). Being able to hold down keys to get punctuation is so much better than having to hit the symbol key -> choose the symbol -> hit the symbol key again every time I want to place a freaking comma.

RuGalz

Since I have the European version of the S3, I only have 1GB ram and there’s so much crap running in the background that I only have about 80MB free. What’s annoying is that I don’t know what half of these things actually do: Factory mode? Software update? MAPServicesSamsung, Samsung Push Service, SecPhone?

This is really the only thing I don’t like about Android. I tell the App to stop running and it’ll just start up again (Words with Friends, for example). I’d guess that having so many things run in the background also affects my battery life.

Disable Samsung bloatwares. Just about any app that has periodic notification/update (i.e. services) or active widgets will run in background even if you kill it. My rule of thumb is, unless the app is important and useful enough to me, if it behaves that way it's out of my phone... My phone is only using 550M after initial boot (2G verison of S3); that's including all the cached apps on stock firmware, running Go Launcher.

BiggNife

the big draw to the DNA is the display so i would say that you should have an in person look at one before you decide.

personally im a big fan of amoled and the contrast on my s3 still gives me an appreciative pause on occasion, even after 5 months.

edit: but another big thing to consider is the DNA has a quad core s4 and an andreno 320 (i think) so itll be a loooot faster (maybe not so much graphically if the graphics are native 1080).
It'll be faster, but not a lot faster. Newer dual-core Snapdragons like the one in the US S3 are comparable to current quad-cores. I think we won't see a significant gap in performance between quad and dual core smartphone processors for a few more months at least.

Husker86

It'll be faster, but not a lot faster. Newer dual-core Snapdragons like the one in the US S3 are comparable to current quad-cores. I think we won't see a significant gap in performance between quad and dual core smartphone processors for a few more months at least.

But the quad in the DNA is also a newer Snapdragon. It's a pretty drastic performance difference I believe. Of course it won't be exactly 2 times faster, but it's not like comparing to a Tegra 3 quad which probably isn't much faster than an S4 dual core.

BiggNife

But the quad in the DNA is also a newer Snapdragon. It's a pretty drastic performance difference I believe. Of course it won't be exactly 2 times faster, but it's not like comparing to a Tegra 3 quad which probably isn't much faster than an S4 dual core.
There's a CPU test here. The DNA scored 4752 and the S3 scored 4214. A decent improvement to be sure, but not an astronomical jump.

Regardless, the S3's performance overall is really smooth. My argument would be that, in this case, a better processor should not be the deciding factor. The main things worth comparing between the two devices are the screens, memory, and TouchWiz vs. Sense.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
#SuperNexus-GAF have any of you installed the 4.2 camera and had issues with it freezing up and locking all the time.

I flashed the 4.2 camera and had 2 camera apps and 2 gallery's and was experiencing this issue of either freezing or "Camera App not found"

Anyone else? I really like the 4.2 camera and would like to have kept it but I re flashed the stock CM10 one only.

HildyB

i read somewhere that you should let android managing the memory and a 'full' memory is better?

btw, is cm10 based on 4.1.2?

I read that thread too, I think it was a Linux vs Windows school of thought or something in there. The Memory not being used is just a waste. There is no disadvantage to a full memory. Clearing it out is really only worthwhile if you are running into issues with apps.

CM10 as of November is 4.1.2 I think. CM10.1 will be 4.2.

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
so those of you who have had the phone for some months now, have you guys noticed any slow down in the UI or opening applications?

Anyone wanna recommend me a nice, relatively cheap, case? I'd prefer a hard one if possible. The otterbox commuter for the S3 is only around 17$ on Amazon right now, but I hear the amount of force you have to exert to push the volume/power buttons is way harder than expected.

Ringke Slimlite

Was recommended to me on this thread a couple months ago when I got my S3. Very nice case, $10 on Amazon IIRC.

Before I manually add Jelly Bean to my S3 thanks to that link detailing how to download the folder and then manually turning it off and activating it, is this truly the same version as the OTA Sprint is giving out?

It doesn't void any warranty as well, right?

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Best Buy has this phone for $50 on Black Friday with 2 year contract.

Although I'm seriously considering signing up with Sam's and getting it there. Membership is $40 and I'm betting it will be much less of a hassle. The phone is under a dollar there.

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
Best Buy has this phone for $50 on Black Friday with 2 year contract.

Although I'm seriously considering signing up with Sam's and getting it there. Membership is $40 and I'm betting it will be much less of a hassle. The phone is under a dollar there.

Are you only eligible for the 50$ deal if your contract is up for renewal? I ask because I was just dicked over by T-mobile today, saying that my renewal date is actually less than a month away and they won't push it forward for the sale.

looks like it's not just the GS3 on sale at Sprint...

Sprint Holiday Deals @ http://www.sprint.com/holiday or 1-800-SPRINT1

all deals with a 2 year agreement for new and upgrade eligible customers

Thanksgiving Day - (Online/Phone Only)
$49.99 - Samsung Galaxy S III
$FREE - Samsung Galaxy Nexus
$FREE - Samsung Galaxy Victory

Black Friday - (Online/Phone/Sprint Stores)
$49.99* - Samsung Galaxy S III
$FREE* - Samsung Galaxy Nexus
$FREE* - Samsung Galaxy Victory

Saturday -> Sunday: - (Online/Phone/Sprint Stores)
$FREE* - Samsung Galaxy Nexus
$FREE* - Samsung Galaxy Victory

* = after $50 mail-in rebate

http://newsroom.sprint.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=2464&view_id=6791

GS3 not as cheap as Sam's Club, but then again, some people aren't members, blabla...

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Are you only eligible for the 50$ deal if your contract is up for renewal? I ask because I was just dicked over by T-mobile today, saying that my renewal date is actually less than a month away and they won't push it forward for the sale.

You have to be up for renewal, although it's a little bizarre that they won't let you sign a month early. I think I've heard that Verizon will.

For some reason today, my phone stopped responding when charging with a wall charger. The moment to I unplug it, it works fine though.

This is the first time I've had this problem. Any tips?

Fantastical

Death Prophet
I've never bought a phone at anywhere other than a Verizon store. How exactly does this work? Will I have to pay any hidden fees if I buy my phone at Sam's Club? Do they activate it there?

Thanks, I'm so clueless. :p I haven't gotten a new phone in ~4 years.

JVIDICAN

#SuperNexus-GAF have any of you installed the 4.2 camera and had issues with it freezing up and locking all the time.

I flashed the 4.2 camera and had 2 camera apps and 2 gallery's and was experiencing this issue of either freezing or "Camera App not found"

Anyone else? I really like the 4.2 camera and would like to have kept it but I re flashed the stock CM10 one only.

Yep same issues here with the 4.2 camera.

Ok I think this is a post JB update thing but now if you are web browsing, and you use the outer left or right part of the screen to scroll, it will now zoom the page in and out. Driving me crazy! Does anyone know how to turn this off?

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Ok I think this is a post JB update thing but now if you are web browsing, and you use the outer left or right part of the screen to scroll, it will now zoom the page in and out. Driving me crazy! Does anyone know how to turn this off?

woah, i never noticed that. :O

I never use the outer corners to scroll down, but you're right....it happens on mine. I can see how it could get annoying if you're used to scrolling from the very edges. Pretty handy to know.

thecheese

Ever since I had a cell phone I've been on my parent's AT&T family plan, and now I'm moving on to my own individual plan, along with my first smart phone.

I'm looking to get the G3 with Sprint's $79 unlimited data plan. Seems like the best option for me since I won't have to worry about data overages, 450 minutes per month is plenty for me, and the plan is pretty affordable when comparing to the other major carriers.

Any advice for me regarding this decision? Any do's and don'ts for this smart phone noob?

I'll either order this from Amazon or go to my local Sprint store in the coming week, definitely taking advantage of that $49 deal.

Ever since I had a cell phone I've been on my parent's AT&T family plan, and now I'm moving on to my own individual plan, along with my first smart phone.

I'm looking to get the G3 with Sprint's $79 unlimited data plan. Seems like the best option for me since I won't have to worry about data overages, 450 minutes per month is plenty for me, and the plan is pretty affordable when comparing to the other major carriers.

Any advice for me regarding this decision? Any do's and don'ts for this smart phone noob?

I'll either order this from Amazon or go to my local Sprint store in the coming week, definitely taking advantage of that $49 deal.

My advice is to go to the sprint store, and run a few speed tests on 3g or if you know someone with sprint have them do it and compare it to your att smart phone. Sprint's 3g is SHIT.

thecheese

My advice is to go to the sprint store, and run a few speed tests on 3g or if you know someone with sprint have them do it and compare it to your att smart phone. Sprint's 3g is SHIT.

Hmm, after reading your comment I researched a bit further into what people say about Sprint's coverage in my area and in general. Doesn't sound too good. Might be worth it to pay the extra $10 per month with AT&T.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I really like the Mountek model that fits in your CD slot.

I'm coming off a droid 3, will a universal mount like that still let you access a car dock functionality. Also, do I need 2 cords (power and audio) or can it do a single plug to the phone, and output to a USB charger, and audio jack?

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I'm coming off a droid 3, will a universal mount like that still let you access a car dock functionality. Also, do I need 2 cords (power and audio) or can it do a single plug to the phone, and output to a USB charger, and audio jack?

All the Mountek does is mounts your phone, it isn't a dock of any kind.

Is there a way to transfer files wirelessly between my phone and laptop without using Kies?

Samba Network Fileshare. Seriously, it's the best

It makes your entire Android system a network drive. You can treat it just like an attached drive as long as its on the same WiFi network.

And you can map it to a virtual drive (Like E:\ or Z:\) and its honestly like having the GS3 inside your computer.

There are also apps to control the thing over wifi (mymobiler) that transfer files easily too.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
What are the proper dimensions for GS3 wallpapers? I've been wanting to make some.

Also we should have a Wallpaper thread like those iOS boys.

Oyashiro

Just got my S3 from ATT yesterday and I finally understand why you guys were complaining about the ATT lack of update... Im stuck on ICS right now :| I was under the impression that the phone would be on Jelly Bean, just not the latest one. Wasn't aware that I'd have ICS. Lame.

Hmm, after reading your comment I researched a bit further into what people say about Sprint's coverage in my area and in general. Doesn't sound too good. Might be worth it to pay the extra $10 per month with AT&T.

It is, unlimited data doesn't mean anything if you're throttled 100% of the time. Unlimited Verizon LTE would be the best bet if you cared enough to get one of those plans, otherwise I'd stay with ATT.

buhdeh

Just got my S3 from ATT yesterday and I finally understand why you guys were complaining about the ATT lack of update... Im stuck on ICS right now :| I was under the impression that the phone would be on Jelly Bean, just not the latest one. Wasn't aware that I'd have ICS. Lame.

It's supposed to be coming near the end of this month so it's not too far off. If you really want it now, you could always flash CM10 which is working pretty well now with only a few issues remaining.

Oyashiro

It's supposed to be coming near the end of this month so it's not too far off. If you really want it now, you could always flash CM10 which is working pretty well now with only a few issues remaining.

I'll probably just wait it out unless ATT decides to not roll out the update until next year or something. This is my first Android phone, so I dont wanna mess with it too much for the next few weeks. Once I have a hang of things Ill root it and put CM on it.

MooMoo

try airdroid: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sand.airdroid
it's pretty awesome. there's also kies air (on google play store as well) but airdroid looks nicer xD

Samba Network Fileshare. Seriously, it's the best

It makes your entire Android system a network drive. You can treat it just like an attached drive as long as its on the same WiFi network.

And you can map it to a virtual drive (Like E:\ or Z:\) and its honestly like having the GS3 inside your computer.

There are also apps to control the thing over wifi (mymobiler) that transfer files easily too.
Thanks for the suggestions! I'll try them both and see which I like better.

Also gotta fulfill the weekly COME ON ATT WHERE'S MAH JB!?!? complaint quota. I want to see what Google Now is all about already! I know nothing about how carriers roll out updates (was a iPhone 3GS user previously), but given that T-mobile and Sprint have already rolled out JB I'll be severely disappointed if ATT doesn't roll it out by the end of the year.

Guys, are the 2 Gig RAM worth it for the LTE version? I can have it for almost the same price as 3G version but am unsure if it is worth it (4G coverage and battery)

Top Bottom