• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S III (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
In the Dolphin browser, there was a little icon that when pressed would automatically let you scroll all the way up the page. For some strange reason when I updated to Jelly Bean, it disappeared and I don't know how to access it again. Anyone know?

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Getting bored of my iPhone and thinking of switching it up for a S3 or a HTC 8X, my main uses are texting, twitter, facebook, internet browsing, photos and music, I'm not big on apps, but I like the customization options for the S3. You guys think it's worth switching over for those reasons?

Marco1

Getting bored of my iPhone and thinking of switching it up for a S3 or a HTC 8X, my main uses are texting, twitter, facebook, internet browsing, photos and music, I'm not big on apps, but I like the customization options for the S3. You guys think it's worth switching over for those reasons?

If it's for those reasons then go for it.
But what I realised today after selling my iph5 for an android nexus 4 is that I'm too ingrained
into the ios ecosystem. Luckily because of the demand of the N4, I managed to make a little profit so jumping back to ip5 is less painful for my pocket.
Android is a fantastic os and I don't understand why people don't like it. But just be careful when you switch.

Red_Man

If it's for those reasons then go for it.
But what I realised today after selling my iph5 for an android nexus 4 is that I'm too ingrained
into the ios ecosystem. Luckily because of the demand of the N4, I managed to make a little profit so jumping back to ip5 is less painful for my pocket.
Android is a fantastic os and I don't understand why people don't like it. But just be careful when you switch.
The iPhone is the only apple device I own, and I'm pretty basic with it, but the customization options for the S3 are attractive to me. Thanks for the input, I'll go into a store and toy around with one.

Spinluck

Would you guys still consider the S3 one of the top 5-ish Android phones out there? I'm on the verge of just saying fuck it (the Nexus 4 and Note II) and getting this for about $124.

Ecto311

at&t S3 with CM10 nightly on it - does anyone know of a good widget or quick shortcut for tethering. Does it drain a lot if on but not used? Tried it today to connect my Nexus 7 to the phone and it worked great just wish it was easier to get to then digging into the settings.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
at&t S3 with CM10 nightly on it - does anyone know of a good widget or quick shortcut for tethering. Does it drain a lot if on but not used? Tried it today to connect my Nexus 7 to the phone and it worked great just wish it was easier to get to then digging into the settings.

You can make a toggle for it in the notification shade. And yes it will consume battery.

Red_Man

I don't really follow phone updates and news, but is there an anticipated release date for the S4? I'm thinking of upgrading to a S3 but don't want to if the S4 will be coming relatively soon.

My S3 just survived a two storey fall onto marble flooring, without any damage. Not even a scratch! Relieved and seriously impressed (or just lucky)

Yay! Just got my S3 LTE in grey. So there was an update available, i'm guessing it's 4.1.2.

Should i still put CM10 on it? What are the benefits? Could someone point me to a legit site which shows how to root my phone? What are essential apps etc.? So many questions O_O

EDIT: It still says 4.1.1. Blerg :D

Is there an easy way to get my contacts from my iphone to my s3?

Mrcapcom

Would a battery upgrade be necessary? I don't wanna get one too big, and compromise the nice thinness of the phone.

I get around maybe a Solid 10 hours with heavy use and maybe 16 hours on low to moderate. And i'm running a Rom so its probally better stock. I have my power saving thingy on with all the stuff checked.

But seriously coming form a Galaxy Nexus i always have somewhere to charge my phone so I'm rarely in a position where I can't charge my phone and I always charge it before i go on a trip or w/e I'm happy with my battery life way better than my Galaxy Nexus

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Girlfriend just got an upgrade on T-Mobile UK to the S3. Just read it still hasn't got Jelly Bean update which is preposterous and that OTA isn't on their locked handsets. Whats the easy, no harm way to unlock the bugger and get the official S3's latest stock current update or whatever on there? Do you really have to root it or is there like a half step?

Edit: Oh wait, she hasnt got it straight from T-Mobile, but Phones4U, so there may still be hope when she powers it on later on this evening its unlocked...

dokish

Banned
Holy shit. Just got my S3. This thing is beautiful. I came from an iPhone 4G and this is much much better.

I know this was asked millions of times, but...

What are the must-have apps if I'm interested in cooking, science and sociology/philosophy/psychology?

EDIT: Also Korean-English (or vice-verse) translator/dictionaries.

Did you download a ROM and flash it? You have to have the ROM downloaded and installed on the root of your SD card internal or external.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmZhJwZQFDQ

You are able to get to the black screen with blue text, yes?

yeah i can get into the recovery screen. but when i click reboot system now the "Samsung Galaxy S3" logo won't go away and nothing happens :(

I put cm-10-20121121-NIGHTLY-i9300 on my SD card into a folder i named Android.

When i click on install zip from sdcard i get an error :/

Don't know what to do. Just wanted 4.1.2 on my phone and now i fucked it up in 10 minutes...

Edit: There is also the red exclamation mark when booting.

Edit2: Now the exclamation mark is gone... holy hell i'm panicing.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
yeah i can get into the recovery screen. but when i click reboot system now the "Samsung Galaxy S3" logo won't go away and nothing happens :(

I put cm-10-20121121-NIGHTLY-i9300 on my SD card into a folder i named Android.

When i click on install zip from sdcard i get an error :/

Don't know what to do. Just wanted 4.1.2 on my phone and now i fucked it up in 10 minutes...

Edit: There is also the red exclamation mark when booting.

Edit2: Now the exclamation mark is gone... holy hell i'm panicing.

Get it out of that folder and put the zip file directly on the root.

Also I would stay away from nightly's if you are having this much trouble with flashing the first one. A nightly is just that, something you should flash every night. What carrier are you on I'll try to find a stable CM10 build for you.

Did that already and still to no avail :/

symlink: some symlinks failed

Error in /sdcard/cm-10......... (status 7)

I'm on T-Mobile Germany. Damn thought this would be easier and not so frustrating.

Also this is my first android phone. Jumped into the cold water and got burned.

_RT_

To those on Sprint...
What ROM you running?
And a follow-up (dump) question..... Do all ROM's these days have LTE built it?

When I was running various ROM's on my HTC Evo 4g, I remember most of them not having it.

DietRob

I'm on T-Mobile Germany. Damn thought this would be easier and not so frustrating.

OK. I'm not going to assume anything and just give you the step by step of how I flash roms.

1. Download Rom
2. Transfer the zip file to the root of your SD card internal or external.
3. Boot into recovery.
4. Wipe Data/Factory Reset.
5. Wipe Cache Partition
6. Go to advanced > Wipe Dalvik cache.
7. Go Back
8. Install Zip from SD card. Select your Zip and flash it.
9. Flash gapps
10. Reboot.

(If none of these work go to backup and restore and select restore. I hope you made a backup yes?)

To those on Sprint...
What ROM you running?
And a follow-up (dump) question..... Do all ROM's these days have LTE built it?

When I was running various ROM's on my HTC Evo 4g, I remember most of them not having it.

Here is the one I am using.
http://get.cm/?device=d2spr&type=stable
No LTE or 4g, or whatever sprint is calling their non existent service now.

cantona222

Anybody using the WhatsApp app on his S III? I'm having a problem with the clock in the app. It is not showing Message delivery time correctly. Any tips?

Davidion

Relax, find instructions on using Samsung ODIN and get yourself a copy of the stock rom. MAKE SURE THAT YOU FOLLOW THE FLASHING INSTRUCTIONS TO THE LETTER AND THAT THE ROM IS THE RIGHT VERSION FOR YOUR PHONE.

Even beyond recovery mode, ODIN will ensure that you can always reflash the default version of the stock rom and start over.

Restart your phone, and instead of holding volume up for recovery, hold down to get into what's called "download mode". If you can get into that, you should be generally ok.

marrec

Banned
Holy shit. Just got my S3. This thing is beautiful. I came from an iPhone 4G and this is much much better.

I know this was asked millions of times, but...

What are the must-have apps if I'm interested in cooking, science and sociology/philosophy/psychology?

EDIT: Also Korean-English (or vice-verse) translator/dictionaries.

I know there's a Psy-Org app that's pretty much just a pretty RSS feed of Psy-Org, so that might settle your need for a nice Science App.

There's also this one called 'Physics Puzzles' which looks VERY promising. I haven't checked it out yet though.

Also!

We have an 'Apps for Android' OT that you could ask in as well.

Davidion

I also had problems burning custom roms but it's better to have stock than nothing. Don't fret unless your phone really, REALLY bricks. If you're careful and are not being stupid, this is actually pretty hard on this phone.

In regards to your error:
1 - Make sure the recovery that you use is the latest version.
2 - Try a different rom; I had a bunch of issues with Jelly Bean roms but none whatsoever with ICS, and that can differ from phone to phone. As long as you can get back to stock with ODIN, try flashing some of the other ones out there. I ultimately found my favorite working rom in Paranoid android.

dokish

Banned
I know there's a Psy-Org app that's pretty much just a pretty RSS feed of Psy-Org, so that might settle your need for a nice Science App.

There's also this one called 'Physics Puzzles' which looks VERY promising. I haven't checked it out yet though.

Also!

We have an 'Apps for Android' OT that you could ask in as well.

Many thanks sir! I'll check it out!

DietRob

Meh. I love Cyanogen... but I am in a great 4g area. I need/want that.

Wow, I didn't know such a thing was possible. They keep telling me it's coming man, it's coming. I've been hearing that since my Nexus S 4g.. LOL

surly

Banned
Girlfriend just got an upgrade on T-Mobile UK to the S3. Just read it still hasn't got Jelly Bean update which is preposterous and that OTA isn't on their locked handsets. Whats the easy, no harm way to unlock the bugger and get the official S3's latest stock current update or whatever on there? Do you really have to root it or is there like a half step?

Edit: Oh wait, she hasnt got it straight from T-Mobile, but Phones4U, so there may still be hope when she powers it on later on this evening its unlocked...
All Phones 4U phones are unlocked/unbranded, so you should be fine.

Oyashiro

So far, I am totally in love with this phone except for one thing... the battery life. I dont know what Im doing wrong, but this phone will last me at the most maybe 8 hrs, and thats without using data, wi-fi off when in sleep, and the screen at 1/3 brightness. Here is a screenshot of my battery usage: http://d.pr/i/2pvy

How is this possible? I dont even use the phone that much... mostly for twitter and texting, some RSS here and there. I dont game on it or watch movies.

So far, I am totally in love with this phone except for one thing... the battery life. I dont know what Im doing wrong, but this phone will last me at the most maybe 8 hrs, and thats without using data, wi-fi off when in sleep, and the screen at 1/3 brightness. Here is a screenshot of my battery usage: http://d.pr/i/2pvy

How is this possible? I dont even use the phone that much... mostly for twitter and texting, some RSS here and there. I dont game on it or watch movies.

screen on time?

Top Bottom