• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S III (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
I believe it was 2 hrs.

GPS?

I noticed that the old CM10 build I was running was constantly scanning for GPS and slayed my battery in a matter of hours. When I went to the battery usage screen it didn't show GPS anywhere on there.

I installed the stable CM10 version for my phone and now I'm getting some incredible battery life and not scanning for GPS anymore.

Exhibit A:
H41Gql.png

buhdeh

I'm getting pretty good battery life with CM10 stable on ATT/Canadian S3. I just wish they would fix the home button bug and LTE tethering already.

Finally rooted last night on Sprint! Feels good, now I just need to wait for a worthwhile rom to come out over stock. Also my area was just upgraded to LTE and speeds are awesome. I can finally use my phone as it was intended!

DietRob

DietRob

thanks for the help... DAMN. 2 hours full panic mode :D

No problem man. I'm glad it worked out for you I know the feeling. The first smartphone I had was a OG Moto Droid and I thought I bricked it an hour out of the box. Luckily I found success like you.

edit: Well not so much luck as research.

haha and now new problems arise. Whatsapp can't identify my phone and if i want to check for updates i also get an error.

Seems he doesn't recognize my sim card.

buhdeh

Making me think twice about rooting

Rooting my ATT S3 was easy. Installing TWRP (I don't like CWM) and CM10 weren't much harder. The key is to research and read until you can visualize all the steps in your head. I came from an iPhone so it's not like I've done this before either.

yeah feel like a dummy for almost breaking my phone after only having it for like an hour.

now i just got to figure out why the phone suddenly doesn't want to recognize my sim...

Is it possible that i fucked this somehow up? Or could it be something else? the sim is working fine in my iphone :/

I flashed the stock firmware. Is there something else i should have done?

Ecto311

Our systems show that Att s3 is supposed to get 4.2 today and rolling out soon. I'm in cm10 so not sure how its going to effect stock folks.

TheContact

my girlfriend needs a new phone and she's debating between the s3 and iphone 5. she's always had crappy android phones, the droid 1 being her "best". I have an iphone 4s, is it worth it for her to get an iphone 5 just so we can facetime and imessage and whatever other iphone-to-iphone features are out there? or should she just stick with the android based s3?

personally I like the s3 more than the iphone because of the screen size. I only have iphone because I've been using it since release and I'm comfortable with it. (praying they make an iphone with a bigger, wider screen though)

pr0cs

my girlfriend needs a new phone and she's debating between the s3 and iphone 5.
probably comes down to how much she's invested in the ecosystem.
If you bought any significant amount of software on one platform it makes it that much harder to pull up shop and move to something different.

Otherwise there are probably a lot of benefits to both of you being in apples playground. Shared accessories and cables, similar software, etc.

Most of my friends would love to have an SGS3 after coming from an iphone4 but the amount of money they've sunk on itunes makes it not cost effective.

Zzoram

If you bought any significant amount of software on one platform it makes it that much harder to pull up shop and move to something different.

Otherwise there are probably a lot of benefits to both of you being in apples playground. Shared accessories and cables, similar software, etc.

Most of my friends would love to have an SGS3 after coming from an iphone4 but the amount of money they've sunk on itunes makes it not cost effective.

So for someone who has invested $0 in accessories or apps in Apple, is the SGS3 a good choice for Christmas?

Anybody here a sprint user in Manhattan? I'm wondering if I should go with them here since they seem to be the best-priced. I heard some mixed things about the 3g and 4g coverage, respectively.

pr0cs

So for someone who has invested $0 in accessories or apps in Apple, is the SGS3 a good choice for Christmas?

I would say so, the cloud functionality on a Google device is really second to none. Most of key apps are already on Android and a number of them are free or ad supported where they're for pay on ios.

Mr Swine

Banned

Cant they buy a iPod touch 5? I know I'm going to that next year now that I own a SG3

DietRob

Ok this is driving me crazy.

All of a sudden when I sync my GS3 to my Ford Fusion for music bass on songs does not come through. However, if I'm just using headphones with my phone bass comes through just fine.

How the hell do I change settings within Google Music when it's streaming?

CM10 4.1.2 btw if that matters.

No I would rather not switch to a different music player.

A.Romero

Ok this is driving me crazy.

All of a sudden when I sync my GS3 to my Ford Fusion for music bass on songs does not come through. However, if I'm just using headphones with my phone bass comes through just fine.

How the hell do I change settings within Google Music when it's streaming?

CM10 4.1.2 btw if that matters.

No I would rather not switch to a different music player.

It is not Google Music. It's DSP Manager (bundled with CM10).

There you will find different controls to adjust the music depending on the interface (integrated speaker, headphones or bluetooth). Most likely you have the bass and equalizer off for you bluetooth while you have it on for headphones.

DietRob

It is not Google Music. It's DSP Manager (bundled with CM10).

There you will find different controls to adjust the music depending on the interface (integrated speaker, headphones or bluetooth). Most likely you have the bass and equalizer off for you bluetooth while you have it on for headphones.

Ah, thank you!

Zoe

Fuuuuuuuu-! Just opened MX Player for the first time since upgrading to JB, and this version that supports DTS audio will no longer run. Does anybody know of alternatives? ;_;

VoxPop

Just picked up a mint pebble blue for 150 to compliment my iPhone 5! Had a Galaxy Nexus just prior as well. First things first, what should i download/do/buy?

Edit: so the nexus has a dedicated softkey for multitasking. What do i do on this phone to manage my apps?

Husker86

Just picked up a mint pebble blue for 150 to compliment my iPhone 5! Had a Galaxy Nexus just prior as well. First things first, what should i download/do/buy?

Edit: so the nexus has a dedicated softkey for multitasking. What do i do on this phone to manage my apps?

Hold home key.

BY2K

Membero Americo
So I might get the phone tomorrow.

A shop is offering the S III for 0$ if I take a 50$/month 3 Year Plan with Rogers, but I want to go with Telus. Will it be easy enough to get Telus to match that deal?

Zzoram

A shop is offering the S III for 0$ if I take a 50$/month 3 Year Plan with Rogers, but I want to go with Telus. Will it be easy enough to get Telus to match that deal?

I think Telus/Bell/Rogers typically always have the same deals going on. It wouldn't hurt to ask.

Also consider signing up at Futureshop. Around Christmas they often bribe you with gift cards for signing up through them.

Noob question, just got the phone. How do I put music on this thing? Can I do it though iTunes?

A really easy way is to use Easy Phone Tunes (on your phone and on your comp). It'll take your music from iTunes and put them on your G3 with no fuss.

Haven't checked this thread in awhile: is Jellybean coming out for this thing or what? I'm using AT&T, if that matters.

Hanzou

If you have a est buy than tomorrow as a door rashers they have it for $0 with a $100 gift card on three year plan with telus.

BLAGH!! Just spent the morning trying to get this phone on verizon. Foolish to think I could get that sams club deal. Got there and all they had was sprint ones left. I wonder how many verizon they actually had there...

BLAGH!! Just spent the morning trying to get this phone on verizon. Foolish to think I could get that sams club deal. Got there and all they had was sprint ones left. I wonder how many verizon they actually had there...
Good to know it was a bust, I've been eyeing up the BF deals like a hawk but this one had me bummed; not a Sam's club member and not one near me. My wife ended up getting one on Amazon wireless today, the price has been jumping around the past 2 weeks but $80 (as a line upgrade) was good enough

Bought a GS3 from the sprint online store yesterday, ended up getting it for free (still had to pay taxes) with my upgrade (upgrading from Evo 4G). Can't wait to get it sometime next week. Was going back and forth between the GS3 and the Nexus 4, but the GS3 won due to a few reasons. First it was cheaper than the Nexus due to my upgrade, removable battery, micro SD card slot, better camera and LTE. Now to just learn how to root/flash and I can get on that SuperNexus train. Ah yeah.

Can anyone recommend a good, slim case for it? Nothing too bulky, just something to save the back/sides from being scratched. Also, any good car mount recommendations? Thanks!

OmegaFax

Bought a GS3 from the sprint online store yesterday, ended up getting it for free (still had to pay taxes) with my upgrade (upgrading from Evo 4G). Can't wait to get it sometime next week. Was going back and forth between the GS3 and the Nexus 4, but the GS3 won due to a few reasons. First it was cheaper than the Nexus due to my upgrade, removable battery, micro SD card slot, better camera and LTE. Now to just learn how to root/flash and I can get on that SuperNexus train. Ah yeah.

Can anyone recommend a good, slim case for it? Nothing too bulky, just something to save the back/sides from being scratched. Also, any good car mount recommendations? Thanks!

I bought a Diztronic case for mine on Amazon. It's a TPU case. Thin, doesn't add a lot of bulk and has a bit of a lip over the bezel so you can sit the phone face down on a flat surface. It also dit my car mount just fine. Case also comes with a screen protector but I don't use it.

I also use an Arkon car mount. Arkon Windshield/Dashboard Mount for All iPhone Models - Retail Packaging - Black

I originally used it for my iPhone 4. It also fits my Galaxy S III with a case on. There might be some newer models to choose from. This worked fine though.

Total for the case and car mount should run you $25 on Amazon.

Good to know it was a bust, I've been eyeing up the BF deals like a hawk but this one had me bummed; not a Sam's club member and not one near me. My wife ended up getting one on Amazon wireless today, the price has been jumping around the past 2 weeks but $80 (as a line upgrade) was good enough

Interesting.. amazon wireless has it at $55 right now. Thinking about jumping in at that price but I've never gone through amazon wireless before. How is the experience?

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Interesting.. amazon wireless has it at $55 right now. Thinking about jumping in at that price but I've never gone through amazon wireless before. How is the experience?

I haven't used it, but know that if you're on a family plan the line that you are buying the phone for has to be the line with an upgrade. That's what kept me from buying from Amazon Wireless, I was going to use my mom's upgrade. If you switch lines there is a ~$250 charge.

Doesn't apply to everyone, but it did apply for me unfortunately or else I would have bought a Galaxy S3.

Top Bottom