• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S III (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
DSP manager fixed my phone and car SYNC issues once. After tweaking DSP settings while sitting in my office 10 minutes later I jumped in the Fusion and headed out to run errands. The car's SYNC system found my phone and went to BluTooth audio mode and I was listening to the great beat of Fuck Hip Hop (Nas).

I got out of the car and went in the store. Upon re-entering the car SYNC again found my phone and went into BluTooth audio mode, however, this time all the bass in the song was gone. Same DSP settings I didn't touch anything.

Should I give up on Google Music or is this not a problem with Google music at all? FYI my car speakers sound great with a CD in or the Radio and even Sync sounds good if I pull up a song from youtube on my phone to play.

WTF is the deal?

BIGWORM

I'm currently running Wicked JB on my d2tmo with the black leather theme, and it's pretty good. Just popped in an Anker 4400maH battery. Currently draining it empty then going to charge it overnight and see what results I get tomorrow.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
I'm currently running Wicked JB on my d2tmo with the black leather theme, and it's pretty good. Just popped in an Anker 4400maH battery. Currently draining it empty then going to charge it overnight and see what results I get tomorrow.
Post impressions and results from your battery. I was looking into getting it myself. One thing I got from reading the reviews is that it works, but the big size will cause pictures at night with flash to have this outer glow in them since the lense is somewhat buried by the case.

BIGWORM

Do ROMs released only work for their specific model?

That's the general consensus. Don't chance it. Don't flash a ROM unless it's listed in your model's forum.

Post impressions and results from your battery. I was looking into getting it myself. One thing I got from reading the reviews is that it works, but the big size will cause pictures at night with flash to have this outer glow in them since the lense is somewhat buried by the case.

Will do. I'm draining the battery intentionally right now using Battery Drain from the play store. Results are pretty good so far. With Battery Drain, I have constant screen on, GPS searching, full screen brightness, WiFi, CPU load, and BT on, and it's taken about 4 hours to drain the battery ~30%. I'm anxious to test it out in a real-world environment tomorrow.

Well I ordered this from amazon wireless for $80... unfortunately it's backordered and I have no idea when it will arrive. I shall join you soon master race!

RuGalz

I've been in the world of custom roms since my very first OG Moto Droid and I've had the same Ford Fusion with sync the entire time. Baffling to me.

All the custom roms I have tried lately, about 5 or so of them, have wonky BT behaviors I always end up going back to stock and just use a different launcher...

DietRob

All the custom roms I have tried lately, about 5 or so of them, have wonky BT behaviors I always end up going back to stock and just use a different launcher...

It's just strange to me that on the way to where-ever it works perfectly it's always when I get back in the car to return it goes to no bass mode. :lol

I have tried disabling bluthooth just prior to getting in the car then enabling it once I'm in and the car is started but that still doesn't work, only on the return trip.

Tess3ract

Banned
I don't bother with stock because it's boring as shit. Also because USCC only has 4.0.1 so...

Right now I'm using 4.1.2 Paranoid Android and I love it.

RuGalz

It's just strange to me that on the way to where-ever it works perfectly it's always when I get back in the car to return it goes to no bass mode. :lol

I have tried disabling bluthooth just prior to getting in the car then enabling it once I'm in and the car is started but that still doesn't work, only on the return trip.

I definitely have ran into that issue. Also, BT connection would randomly stop working while used in conjunction with GPS, or it would simply unable to connect to my car and the remedy is to reboot the phone. It's just not worth the hassle to me when the stock is running fast enough if you disable all the bloatwares. Only thing I really miss from custom rom is the Quick Setting Panel, but typically you can find a rom that is very close to stock with that mod installed. So stability + customization = win win to me.

My phone's been having this weird issue for the past few days now. If I respond to a text really quickly, my response will show up above the previous text. Is this just a bug? If so, I have never ran into it before.

BIGWORM

My phone's been having this weird issue for the past few days now. If I respond to a text really quickly, my response will show up above the previous text. Is this just a bug? If so, I have never ran into it before.

You using stock SMS, or 3rd party like Handcent? I've never had that issue with Handcent, but I usually reply within Handcent's popup window.

Anker 4400maH extended battery: As I type this, my battery is at 60% after discharging for 10 hours and 35 minutes on battery, full brightness, on 4G, 45 minutes of PowerAMP music, light to moderate texting (15-20/hour), roughly an hour of internet/youtube, and 2 hours and 42 minutes screen-on time. With the screen-on time, I've noticed throughout my use of the phone, that ~3 hours of screen-on time, my phone is close to dead, ~20%. I am extremely happy with this battery, and I'm glad I made this particular decision. I wish print screen was working with this ROM, otherwise I'd post up some screen shots--drocap2 isn't working either, for some reason.

Mind you, this battery has not been through a full power cycle, yet. I'm gonna leave this battery off the charger overnight, abuse the shit out of it tomorrow, then charge it up fully again.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Thanks for the impressions. Can you test if the taking pictures at night with flash makes that outer glow thing that people are reporting?

I think I'm going to get it.

BIGWORM

Thanks for the impressions. Can you test if the taking pictures at night with flash makes that outer glow thing that people are reporting?

I think I'm going to get it.

I took some last night in bed which required flash--I did not notice any outer glow or anything that would indicate the back cover as a problem.

Oyashiro

Okay, so I managed to root my phone (was surprisingly easy on a Mac) and now Im trying to install CM10 on my phone. My issue is the following: I keep trying to do a nandroid backup but I always get an error. I think it's because my microSD card is only 1GB and that's not enough space to do the backup. Could that be it? Is there no chance for me to install CM10 unless I get a bigger microSD card?

BIGWORM

Okay, so I managed to root my phone (was surprisingly easy on a Mac) and now Im trying to install CM10 on my phone. My issue is the following: I keep trying to do a nandroid backup but I always get an error. I think it's because my microSD card is only 1GB and that's not enough space to do the backup. Could that be it? Is there no chance for me to install CM10 unless I get a bigger microSD card?

Negative. Unless your memory is full, a CM10 backup is usually no more than 8-900MB.

Oyashiro

Okay, a couple of questions.

CM10 seems to be working fine so far, but I accidentally installed the 4.2 gapps instead of the 4.1 gapps. Everything keeps crashing (camera, gallery, Google search, Google now). Is this a known issue? should I just flash 4.1? The keyboard seems to be working pretty well so far and I actually really like it.

Another question: I made sure I backed up everything before I installed CM, so how do I get all my apps and messages and all that back? Is it possible?

Finally, is it possible to uninstall certain apps like Movie Studio, News and Weather, etc? Because I'm never gonna be using those.

DietRob

CM10 seems to be working fine so far, but I accidentally installed the 4.2 gapps instead of the 4.1 gapps. Everything keeps crashing (camera, gallery, Google search, Google now). Is this a known issue? should I just flash 4.1? The keyboard seems to be working pretty well so far and I actually really like it.

Another question: I made sure I backed up everything before I installed CM, so how do I get all my apps and messages and all that back? Is it possible?

Finally, is it possible to uninstall certain apps like Movie Studio, News and Weather, etc? Because I'm never gonna be using those.

1. I also had issues when I gave gapps 4.2 a try, go back to your version.
2. If you backed up using titanium backup launch in restore.
3. Now that you have root you should be able to uninstall anything you want to there is an app that I had in the past but can't remember the name of it.

BIGWORM

Oyashiro

There is an semi-updated GAPPS you can grab from Goo.im. Every apk is based off of 4.2 except for camera and gallery, if I recall correctly, but for now, use this zip, based off of 4.1.2 for best compatibility:

http://goo.im/gapps/gapps-jb-20121011-signed.zip

Do yourself a favor: if you're going to become a flash addict (like most power android users), take the hit, and buy Titanium Backup from the play store. I believe it's $6, but it's the best $6 I've ever spent on anything in the store. In short, it'll let you restore all your apps and your apps' data with no problem. Will also backup/restore your text in FULL (including MMS) in .xml format.

As far as deleting system apps (apps preinstalled on the ROM, like news, weather/whatever), most file explorer have the ability to browse in root folders, like Solid Explorer Beta2. Download the app from the play store, open it, and hit the back button a couple of times to the "/" folder (root, essentially). Navigate to /system/app/, and delete whatever unnecessary from there. A word of caution, BE CAREFUL WHEN MESSING WITH ROOT. You delete the wrong file/apk, you can essentially break your ROM, and will have to reflash.

Blackhead

Redarse

What guide did you use for a mac?

the main purpose of the NAND backup is so you can restore the previous ROM in the working state that it was in, though there are ways to restore apps, data and other stuff from the backup via various means. it's just way easier to use Titanium Backup Pro for restoring that stuff between roms and having a NAND backup only as a last resort for a full restore..

Oyashiro

What guide did you use for a mac?

I followed this guide! Super duper easy.

the main purpose of the NAND backup is so you can restore the previous ROM in the working state that it was in, though there are ways to restore apps, data and other stuff from the backup via various means. it's just way easier to use Titanium Backup Pro for restoring that stuff between roms and having a NAND backup only as a last resort for a full restore..

Yeah, I guess I misunderstood that... I was under the impression that backing up stuff with TWRP would back up everything including apps and settings and all that.

Oyashiro

There is an semi-updated GAPPS you can grab from Goo.im. Every apk is based off of 4.2 except for camera and gallery, if I recall correctly, but for now, use this zip, based off of 4.1.2 for best compatibility:

http://goo.im/gapps/gapps-jb-20121011-signed.zip

Do yourself a favor: if you're going to become a flash addict (like most power android users), take the hit, and buy Titanium Backup from the play store. I believe it's $6, but it's the best $6 I've ever spent on anything in the store. In short, it'll let you restore all your apps and your apps' data with no problem. Will also backup/restore your text in FULL (including MMS) in .xml format.

As far as deleting system apps (apps preinstalled on the ROM, like news, weather/whatever), most file explorer have the ability to browse in root folders, like Solid Explorer Beta2. Download the app from the play store, open it, and hit the back button a couple of times to the "/" folder (root, essentially). Navigate to /system/app/, and delete whatever unnecessary from there. A word of caution, BE CAREFUL WHEN MESSING WITH ROOT. You delete the wrong file/apk, you can essentially break your ROM, and will have to reflash.

Once again, thanks for all your help, man. I don't think I'm gonna be doing a ton of flashing, but I guess that might chance. Im pretty happy with CM10 so far. I might want to try out LiquidSmooth or Paranoid Android later, but Im pretty okay with it now.

Battery life is supposed to be better on CM10 than stock, right? Because so far, my battery seems to be draining pretty damn fast.

BIGWORM

I followed this guide! Super duper easy.

Yeah, I guess I misunderstood that... I was under the impression that backing up stuff with TWRP would back up everything including apps and settings and all that.

Once again, thanks for all your help, man. I don't think I'm gonna be doing a ton of flashing, but I guess that might chance. Im pretty happy with CM10 so far. I might want to try out LiquidSmooth or Paranoid Android later, but Im pretty okay with it now.

Battery life is supposed to be better on CM10 than stock, right? Because so far, my battery seems to be draining pretty damn fast.

Not necessarily. Number one thing to do to conserve battery life is to make sure auto sync settings are off:

Menu > Settings > Accounts > Google

Also set your screen brightness to a comfortable low level. You might want to also check out a data radio-managing app like Green Power from the play store. It automatically turns off your data radio/WiFi when your screen is off to conserve battery life, as well. Also, flashing a non-stock AOSP radio will generally present better battery life, as well.

Oyashiro

Not necessarily. Number one thing to do to conserve battery life is to make sure auto sync settings are off:

Menu > Settings > Accounts > Google

Also set your screen brightness to a comfortable low level. You might want to also check out a data radio-managing app like Green Power from the play store. It automatically turns off your data radio/WiFi when your screen is off to conserve battery life, as well. Also, flashing a non-stock AOSP radio will generally present better battery life, as well.

Sweet, I'll do all of those things. When I was on stock, TW had an option to turn off wifi when the phone is in sleep. Im guessing that app you recommended does the same thing?

Also, camera still not working for me. I flashed that gapps package and everything else seems to work fine (Google Now, woo!). I guess I can just use Camera Zoom FX or something. Is there any way to get the stock TouchWiz camera on CM?

BIGWORM

Sweet, I'll do all of those things. When I was on stock, TW had an option to turn off wifi when the phone is in sleep. Im guessing that app you recommended does the same thing?

Also, camera still not working for me. I flashed that gapps package and everything else seems to work fine (Google Now, woo!). I guess I can just use Camera Zoom FX or something. Is there any way to get the stock TouchWiz camera on CM?

Which GAPPS version did you flash? If you flashed that 4.1.2 I pointed out earlier, your stock camera should be working fine. You should wipe your caches if you didn't do so. I don't believe there's a way to get stock TW camera to work on CM10, because it requires framework that only the TW ROMs would have, naturally.

Oyashiro

Which GAPPS version did you flash? If you flashed that 4.1.2 I pointed out earlier, your stock camera should be working fine. You should wipe your caches if you didn't do so. I don't believe there's a way to get stock TW camera to work on CM10, because it requires framework that only the TW ROMs would have, naturally.

I wiped both caches and installed the gapps you linked me to. The camera opened fine, but as soon as I took a picture, it crashed. It's also not allowing me to use any other camera apps (says something like the camera cannot be found)

BIGWORM

I wiped both caches and installed the gapps you linked me to. The camera opened fine, but as soon as I took a picture, it crashed. It's also not allowing me to use any other camera apps (says something like the camera cannot be found)

When you get that error, a reboot usually fixes it. If you're really wanting to get the stock camera going, I suggest a clean flash and start over. Which recovery are you using, btw?

Oyashiro

When you get that error, a reboot usually fixes it. If you're really wanting to get the stock camera going, I suggest a clean flash and start over. Which recovery are you using, btw?

I tried rebooting, same problem occurs. This time, it first told me that the Gallery wasnt responding, and after told me that the camera wasn't working. I'm using TWRP.

Soi-Fong

whole fam went hard on black friday, everyone got what they wanted.

my cousin spent 4 hours in line at Sam's Club for DAT 96 CENT GS3

Got this deal. Lined up for 3 hours to get this and got a Red AT&T GS3. I'm loving it. Got the second to the last AT&T one and I hate Sprint so...

Would have been faster, but some of the activations were taking way too long. Got me an Otterbox Defender since I'm clumsy as hell also.

BIGWORM

I tried rebooting, same problem occurs. This time, it first told me that the Gallery wasnt responding, and after told me that the camera wasn't working. I'm using TWRP.

Sounds like something left behind by the 4.2 GAPPS. Wipe clean and flash again. If you bought TiBackup and made a backup, you won't be missing anything.

iamvin22

Industry Verified
GAF please point me to a how-to on rooting or putting cm10 on my S3. i am a newbie so help would be great. also what exactly does cm10 do?

buhdeh

Would getting tis and putting CM10 on it be better and as stable as an Nexus 4? I getting tired of using my "The Wire" phone

No. Flashing a ROM will never be as good as running a Nexus phone. Even the "stable" release still has tons of problems. I've been using CM10 for months now and no release has ever made me think that I would choose an S3 + CM10 over a Nexus 4.

OG Kush

Do I have to convert videos for divx to work? As in does the s3 only play certain resolution videos.. or do i ahve to download codecs/video player from the store?

BIGWORM

MX Player is the best video player I've used yet. Once you download the player, it'll point to the ARMv7 codec in the store you'll also need to download.

Top Bottom