• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S III (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

No. Flashing a ROM will never be as good as running a Nexus phone. Even the "stable" release still has tons of problems. I've been using CM10 for months now and no release has ever made me think that I would choose an S3 + CM10 over a Nexus 4.

you mean the nexus phones that currently have broken Bluetooth? and Canada exclusive LTE?

Do I have to convert videos for divx to work? As in does the s3 only play certain resolution videos.. or do i ahve to download codecs/video player from the store?

stock GS3 video player will play almost everything.

buhdeh

you mean the nexus phones that currently have broken Bluetooth? and Canada exclusive LTE?

lol, I'd take those any day over what I'm getting with "stable" CM10.

- A home button that rarely ever wakes the phone without multiple consecutive presses
- A power button that will randomly wake the capacitive lights but not the screen
- Occasional hard locks when the above happens
- Completely messed up bluetooth sound (no bass)
- Mic routing/volume levels screwed up when recording videos
- Broken ass apps like Skype (all static when trying to place calls), Instagram (picture editing previews don't work at all) when used in CM10 but not in TW or Nexus 7
- Broken ass GPS lock on in Navigation when it works perfectly fine in regular Maps
- Still getting random reboots, though much less than in nightlies
- LTE tethering does not work at all

I appreciate what the CM team is doing but I'm done with non-Nexus Android phones and playing this ROM game.

OG Kush

Is it common knowledge that the default gallery application is really slow? I just got this phone 4 days ago so I doubt its my phone. It even crashed when I was loading it up today.

Hey gaf,

I decided to leave my phone off the charger overnight while I slept to see how much the battery would drain during idle and the result was this:

32BSV.png

At the start of the next day, I woke up to only 77% battery life starting from 100% after ~11 hours. My old phone (iphone 3g) would barely lose even 2% on standby/idle for that long. I made sure to clear the memory and close any programs that were open before going to bed. Is the battery really this bad or am I missing something? Someone please help me. This battery life is abysmal. =(

Oyashiro

Okay, I have this really annoying voicemail issue in CM10. Basically, I cant set up voicemail. I've tried calling ATT and having them reset it, but when I attempt to set up voicemail, it asks me for a password and nothing works. I've tried resetting the pass, asking ATT to remove the password, etc. Nothing works. I can't even set up Google Voice on it.

Hey gaf,

I decided to leave my phone off the charger overnight while I slept to see how much the battery would drain during idle and the result was this:

At the start of the next day, I woke up to only 77% battery life starting from 100% after ~11 hours. My old phone (iphone 3g) would barely lose even 2% on standby/idle for that long. I made sure to clear the memory and close any programs that were open before going to bed. Is the battery really this bad or am I missing something? Someone please help me. This battery life is abysmal. =(

I get pretty much the same thing overnight, it's pretty awful

Toki767

The battery issue isn't this phone really. It's Android in general. There are a bunch of stuff still on even if you don't have any apps open which drains the battery. Hopefully 5.00 focuses on having less battery drain while idle.

RuGalz

At the start of the next day, I woke up to only 77% battery life starting from 100% after ~11 hours. My old phone (iphone 3g) would barely lose even 2% on standby/idle for that long

click on the cell standby category see how much lost signal you got. also depends on how many widgets you have running and how often they refresh, etc. in addition, services that have periodic refresh will wake up even if you kill it. so you should check how often your apps and widgets are set to auto refresh. some apps have really poor push implementation that can cause bad battery drain. mine drains about 5% overnight from idling...

anyone know if theres a way to make it so when an app crashes it doesnt hang the whole OS for a min or 2? Im not sure if its hanging touchwiz or android as I am a new user.

OG Kush

click on the cell standby category see how much lost signal you got. also depends on how many widgets you have running and how often they refresh, etc. in addition, services that have periodic refresh will wake up even if you kill it. so you should check how often your apps and widgets are set to auto refresh. some apps have really poor push implementation that can cause bad battery drain. mine drains about 5% overnight from idling...

How do i go about this?

RuGalz

How do i go about this?

Pretty much just go into individual app and widget that you use that provides any kind of 'service' (i.e. push notification, update notification, weather, news, etc) see if it has refresh/update/sync setting. Set them at lower frequencies. A lot of apps that support push notification don't have any kind of setting because people expect push to happen automatically and instantly... I use very few of those apps because they really drain battery, especially in bad reception areas. The only ones I have are gmail, gtalk, gvoice... I use very few widgets because they really can be battery hog.

Rubbish King

The gift that keeps on giving
How do I turn off the Samsung keyboard so I don't have to keep selecting SwiftKey even though it's already on, it keeps asking me every time after startup even though its already on.. Just turns off prediction -. -

Okay guys i need some help...

I just got a text from AT&T and I have unlimited data. They say that I have already gone over 5GB of data usage.

I never had that issue with my iPhone 3GS only using about 1GB a month.

I notice when i open up a task manager killer app it shows a lot of apps are automatically turned on even though I haven't accessed them like Youtube, etc.

How can I stop the apps from opening automatically?

Blackhead

Redarse
Okay guys i need some help...

I just got a text from AT&T and I have unlimited data. They say that I have already gone over 5GB of data usage.

I never had that issue with my iPhone 3GS only using about 1GB a month.

I notice when i open up a task manager killer app it shows a lot of apps are automatically turned on even though I haven't accessed them like Youtube, etc.

How can I stop the apps from opening automatically?
Er, why do that?
Open up the Settings app and look at the apps actually using the data

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBSrb4OkEic

Just got my GS3 this weekend. Love it, basically. Is it just me or is this a pretty decent music player, too? My iPod may become a bit neglected, I fear...

Oyashiro

Finally fixed my voicemail issue after being on the phone with 4 different ATT reps for hours...

One thing I've noticed about CM10 is that my LTE speeds are waaaaay worse. I basically went from 25MB/s down to 3MB/s.

RuGalz

How do I turn off the Samsung keyboard so I don't have to keep selecting SwiftKey even though it's already on, it keeps asking me every time after startup even though its already on.. Just turns off prediction -. -

Why not select SwiftKey as default input in the settings? Or does it not stick for some reason?

harSon

Banned
I had convinced myself that my Evo4g was good enough, but having bitten on the $48 S3 on Black Friday at Best Buy... Boy was I wrong. This thing is leaps and bounds superior than that clunky piece of crap.

Cipherr

This may be a very basic question, but this will be the first smart phone I've ever had.

Good choice for a first smart phone?

Phenomenal choice for a first smart phone. Prepare to join the zombie masses, walking around the city during lunch hour with your head down reading something on your phone while walking into lamp posts and glass doors.

One of us.

RuGalz

Is there any way to find out what "media server" is in the battery usage list?

From my observations, it seems like anything that plays audio will incur battery usage for "media server" category, which includes audio usage in games. The other big part is media scanning that happens periodically by the OS that populates the gallery, music player, etc.

VoxPop

So basically if I want to change the notification bar and stuff I have to root my phone and put on a custom rom? Apex launcher isn't enough to hide the garbage that is Touchwiz. Any way to do it without having to do all the custom rom nonsense?

.GqueB.

Banned
God I need a new phone so bad. My droid incredible is like Cortana right now. Rampant as hell. It's literally forgetting things whenever I turn it off.

When is the next Galaxy coming out? I'm tempted to just get this one and call it a day.

God I need a new phone so bad. My droid incredible is like Cortana right now. Rampant as hell. It's literally forgetting things whenever I turn it off.

When is the next Galaxy coming out? I'm tempted to just get this one and call it a day.
Looking like april may. March at the earliest if they decide to launch earlier than last year, which some rumours have suggested, may is probably the latest.

Son of a...

well now I don't know what to do. I feel like this phone will explode by then.
it's a tough choice, you can probably get this phone and be satisfied. But the coming months will mark the rise of 5 inch 1080p phones and possibly bigger batteries finally becoming more standard.

.GqueB.

Banned
it's a tough choice, you can probably get this phone and be satisfied. But the coming months will mark the rise of 5 inch 1080p phones and possibly bigger batteries finally becoming more standard.

Yea that's what I figured. The Galaxy S3 is also the perfect size. Can't imagine going much bigger. I know 5 inches isn't THAT much bigger but still.

Zoe

From my observations, it seems like anything that plays audio will incur battery usage for "media server" category, which includes audio usage in games. The other big part is media scanning that happens periodically by the OS that populates the gallery, music player, etc.

Must be Google Music...

Missed out on Black Friday $49.99 GS3 for ATT. I was hoping there would be cyber Monday repeats but nope. So I guess I'm stuck with my shit phone til something decent goes on sale again...

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
X-Post from the android thread:

Made the jump from iPhone to Galaxy S3, any apps I have to have, or any list I can go through of must haves? Also where can I get different themes / how do I apply them?

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Ha... So nobody wants to buy a sprint phone, shocker..

Maybe one day they will finally upgrade their 4g or whatever the decided to call it. They have been telling me an update is imminent for a year and a half.

ShowDog

lol, I'd take those any day over what I'm getting with "stable" CM10.

- A home button that rarely ever wakes the phone without multiple consecutive presses
- A power button that will randomly wake the capacitive lights but not the screen
- Occasional hard locks when the above happens
- Completely messed up bluetooth sound (no bass)
- Mic routing/volume levels screwed up when recording videos
- Broken ass apps like Skype (all static when trying to place calls), Instagram (picture editing previews don't work at all) when used in CM10 but not in TW or Nexus 7
- Broken ass GPS lock on in Navigation when it works perfectly fine in regular Maps
- Still getting random reboots, though much less than in nightlies
- LTE tethering does not work at all

I appreciate what the CM team is doing but I'm done with non-Nexus Android phones and playing this ROM game.

So true. I greatly appreciate CM10 on my HTC One X since the stock 4.0 rom was shit, but there are so many bugs I can't use my phone for its intended purposes (decent camera, bluetooth streaming, dependable communication). I'm never straying from Apple again unless it is a Nexus, which they can't even keep in stock.

Top Bottom