• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S III (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

Oyashiro

Totally agree with the guy that was complaining about CM10. I had it installed on my phone for 3 days and had to get rid of it because it was just awful. Glitches everywhere, resets all the time, FCs constantly, phone was overheatng, and many other issues. Switched to LiquidSmooth tonight and I like it so far.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
I'm thinking of jumping off cm10 as well. It puts a major drain on my battery. Although I like the browser in cm better than stock, its not enough with the battery drain

kaskade

Finally got Jellybean! :)

One question: Is your battery supposed to drain faster?

I'm not sure if it's true or not but I remember it draining kind of fast the first day for some reason. I don't know if it was just the process of updating or something but it seemed to level back out after a bit.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
That battery extender is awesome as hell. I love the added bulk...makes it easier to hold in my hand. Can't wait to fully charge it now and test it some more, but so far I'm impressed.

Argyle

Ha... So nobody wants to buy a sprint phone, shocker..

Maybe one day they will finally upgrade their 4g or whatever the decided to call it. They have been telling me an update is imminent for a year and a half.

Depending on where you are Sprint LTE is going live (this was in Los Angeles):

Screenshot_2012-10-12-13-04-45-1.png

Menelaus

Banned
Back to Android I go after a year on iOS and 1 week with WP8 (lol). Picked up a 16gb blue from Verizon last night.

I missed watching my battery drain 5% in 10 minutes of screen time, it's good to be back!

ReBurn

Gold Member
Just ordered one this morning. Can't wait for it to get here. The Droid X has been a good phone, but it's time for something better.

Got my phones yesterday, but good grief do I hate Sprint. Spent oh, four and a half hours on the phone with customer service yesterday. First they ported mine and my wife's numbers to the wrong devices, and then I found out that Sprint has 0 bars in my apartment compared to Verizon's three bars (I'm in Manhattan btw). But the big screw up happened when they decided to go ahead and port my mom's number before they got their phone (shipped it to them today when I got the package from sprint). So now an old lady alone in California has a nonworking Verizon phone and has to wait a few days before she can call anyone. The worst part is that she rarely checks email so I have no way of telling her what's going on...

Can't express how much I dislike Sprint. I really regret switching to them now. Customer service is horrible, completely unhelpful.

hey all, I am an iphone user, my wife just got her GS3 in the mail 2 days ago and is learning it still. she comes to me with questions but I can't answer her with 100% confidence since I don't know droid at all. question: are there multiple app stores? on iphone, you've got just the app store and itunes, but she said her app store is "Verizon." this doesn't sound right, I am thinking there's Google apps, Amazon, etc. Is this right? Is it safe to use multiples or should you stick to one exclusively? which is best?

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
hey all, I am an iphone user, my wife just got her GS3 in the mail 2 days ago and is learning it still. she comes to me with questions but I can't answer her with 100% confidence since I don't know droid at all. question: are there multiple app stores? on iphone, you've got just the app store and itunes, but she said her app store is "Verizon." this doesn't sound right, I am thinking there's Google apps, Amazon, etc. Is this right? Is it safe to use multiples or should you stick to one exclusively? which is best?

Google Play store the Icon looks like this.
SJMqv.png

She could also use Amazon App store they do cool stuff like a free App a day but I don't use it. If she does she would need to check off something in settings. Amazon App store tells you what to do. You must download it by going to Amazon.com

RuGalz

Yea there's Vzw app store... I'd stick to Play Store since apps on Amazon store don't get updates as much.

^Thanks, guys. I'll let her know Google Play should be the primary. It's a nice phone, I'm tempted to snatch it from her and just play around

Emily Chu

Banned
don't give me this "white is the new black" shit

I still want my BLACK Note II and or SGIII phones....

PSPWHITECHOKEHOLDPSPBLACK.EXE

Cipherr

Tell her to ignore the VZW store. The Google Play store is the one she wants to use. Its got all the apps and games movies and music.

sca2511

So true. I greatly appreciate CM10 on my HTC One X since the stock 4.0 rom was shit, but there are so many bugs I can't use my phone for its intended purposes (decent camera, bluetooth streaming, dependable communication). I'm never straying from Apple again unless it is a Nexus, which they can't even keep in stock.
Quite the opposite for me and my Captivate/SGS1. New development from the community has kept me from wanting a new phone for quite some time. Almost always there are bug lists so you know what to expect. If CM10 isn't working out, there are other great ROMs out there like AOKP and Slim Bean.

With Google devices I prefer to be stock, but am willing to flash if need be.

Menelaus

Banned
1 week? that's not enough to get used to it!

Wasn't a matter of getting used to it, it was the missing features from the OS, terrible ecosystem, and awful hardware. I typed up a laundry list of complaints on the first page of the WP8 OT if you're really interested in my beef. On a whole, I think the OS has promise, but it needs some features TODAY, and won't be getting them until March at the earliest. That's unacceptable for me.

Wasn't a matter of getting used to it, it was the missing features from the OS, terrible ecosystem, and awful hardware. I typed up a laundry list of complaints on the first page of the WP8 OT if you're really interested in my beef. On a whole, I think the OS has promise, but it needs some features TODAY, and won't be getting them until March at the earliest. That's unacceptable for me.

*reads*

oh wow, yeah, i can see why a week would be more than enough in your situation.

Menelaus

Banned
It's kind of funny...going to back to Android kind of feels like a step backwards UX wise. Part of that is Touchwiz, I'm sure, but I really dug the WP8 look and feel.

buhdeh

So true. I greatly appreciate CM10 on my HTC One X since the stock 4.0 rom was shit, but there are so many bugs I can't use my phone for its intended purposes (decent camera, bluetooth streaming, dependable communication). I'm never straying from Apple again unless it is a Nexus, which they can't even keep in stock.

Yep. After having used Touchwiz+CM10 (GS3), Sense (brother's HTC One S), and stock (Nexus 7), it's Nexus > iPhone > WP8 > bloated ass Android phones for me.

Also, it's amazing we waited 5 months for 4.1. I feel bad for AT&T and Verizon people who still have no idea at all when it's coming, lol.

BIGWORM

I don't know if anyone else in here is running Paranoid Android, the CM/AOKP hybrid with per-app DPI settings, but it's running awesome on my TMO GS3. The only small issue I have with it is speaker phone cutting in and out. It's only a small issue because I hardly use speaker phone. Once I get my Seidio extended cover on Friday, I'm going to post pictures of my phone.

Hardware-wise, I have a white GS3, a black ZuGadgets aluminum bumper, and soon-to-arrive Seidio extended battery cover (black).

Toki767

I don't know if anyone else in here is running Paranoid Android, the CM/AOKP hybrid with per-app DPI settings, but it's running awesome on my TMO GS3. The only small issue I have with it is speaker phone cutting in and out. It's only a small issue because I hardly use speaker phone. Once I get my Seidio extended cover on Friday, I'm going to post pictures of my phone.

Hardware-wise, I have a white GS3, a black ZuGadgets aluminum bumper, and soon-to-arrive Seidio extended battery cover (black).
I'm running it on my AT&T GS3 and it's really nice. My only complaints are the ones that go with CM10. Hopefully they can fix these issues in CM10.1 or whatever they call the next one.

Allforce

Just ordered one this morning. Can't wait for it to get here. The Droid X has been a good phone, but it's time for something better.

Not sure what your plans are for that old Droid X but I had the same phone before upgrading to the GS3. I sent the Droid X to Amazon and got a gift card for 62 bucks applied to my account today.

Not too shabby for an almost 3 year old phone.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
New owner of a S3, and recommendations for cases that will protect the screen from cracking and are cheaper then $50?

I uninstalled PA just this week as the gamery and camera stopped working. Great ROM though. Changing the DPI so that the text is much smaller makes it so much better.

Menelaus

Banned
Any way to get lockscreen controls for Slacker or Pandora? Or have the currently playing songs actually display on my car's display screen like they did with both iOS and WP8?

Allforce

New owner of a S3, and recommendations for cases that will protect the screen from cracking and are cheaper then $50?

You will never crack the screen, it's Gorilla Glass.

Just get something cheap on eBay if you want some style but a good rule of thumb is to never pay more than 10 bucks for a phone case.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
You will never crack the screen, it's Gorilla Glass.

Just get something cheap on eBay if you want some style but a good rule of thumb is to never pay more than 10 bucks for a phone case.

You really should stay away from using words like 'never'. Especially on GAF.

Cipherr

Its still glass, lol. It will crack and shatter and all of that. Might take a bit more to do it, but it can still happen, its not magic glass.

Oyashiro

Gorilla Glass is good against things like knives and keys, but it will not protect your phone from stuff like sand. Or dropping your phone.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Not sure what your plans are for that old Droid X but I had the same phone before upgrading to the GS3. I sent the Droid X to Amazon and got a gift card for 62 bucks applied to my account today.

Not too shabby for an almost 3 year old phone.

Not a bad idea! I'll have to look into that. I just got the notice that my S3 was just delivered. Can't wait to go pick it up!

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Otterbox Defender

or if you wanna go all the way, this.
I've heard good things about Otterbox, I'll check them out, and to the guy who said gorilla glass doesn't crack, my room mate dropped her S3 from about 3 feet and it cracked the screen. Just a small crack, but still.

Also I'm having connection troubles with the wifi on my S3? It takes forever for facebook to load but I never had issues on my iPhone....

BIGWORM

I uninstalled PA just this week as the gamery and camera stopped working. Great ROM though. Changing the DPI so that the text is much smaller makes it so much better.

Which GAPPS did you flash, if you remember? I wiped cache and flashed the GAPPS that was posted on Goo yesterday, and everything's running fine for me.

Top Bottom