• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S III (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Can anyone direct me to some kind of beginners tutorial for setting up some themes and such? I'm completely new to the android OS but I've seen some amazing looking lock screens and setups people have and want to try and get something similar going but have no idea where to start.

BIGWORM

T-mobile here. So, I suppose I have no reskinning control over the lock screen unless I root? FUDGE.

You can grab Holo Locker off the play store which will give you the AOSP radial lockscreen.

I received my Seidio extended battery cover today, and it fits perfectly over my Anker 4400, and along with the Aluminum bumper, makes my phone look REALLY nice. I'll post up some pics when my wife gets home with her GS2.

Ecto311

You will never crack the screen, it's Gorilla Glass.

Just get something cheap on eBay if you want some style but a good rule of thumb is to never pay more than 10 bucks for a phone case.
Ha what? My wife dropped this phone from waist high and its shattered.

Does anyone know if Drop7 works well for this phone. I LOVED the game on iPhone, but I don't know of the Android version is lacking in any way. Please tell me it's worth it, as the game is fantastic.

Two more questions: is there a way to filter Google Play reviews to my phone only? I'd like to see what people who have my phone say about an app's performance. Also, is there an Dedicated Android thread?

EDIT: wow, crazy monkey read my mind.

mantidor

So I updated to Jellybean finally and... didn't notice much diference. I was using the Nova LAuncher so everything remained intact, the keyboard is the only thing that comes to mind and even then is not that different.

Should I look for more advantages? because I think thats it.

I've heard good things about Otterbox, I'll check them out, and to the guy who said gorilla glass doesn't crack, my room mate dropped her S3 from about 3 feet and it cracked the screen. Just a small crack, but still.

Also I'm having connection troubles with the wifi on my S3? It takes forever for facebook to load but I never had issues on my iPhone....

its probably because the facebook app sucks.

Allforce

You really should stay away from using words like 'never'. Especially on GAF.

I thought the sarcasm in my post would be better received, I really should have thrown a ™ in there.

Still don't condone any more than 10 dollars for any sort of phone case, or really any at all. I've never really been keen on how a case changes the aesthetics. I use this on my GS3 just to give a better grip than the stock battery cover, but it keeps the same form factor.

kaskade

So I updated to Jellybean finally and... didn't notice much diference. I was using the Nova LAuncher so everything remained intact, the keyboard is the only thing that comes to mind and even then is not that different.

Should I look for more advantages? because I think thats it.

Not really, the biggest thing for me was google now.

I've heard good things about Otterbox, I'll check them out, and to the guy who said gorilla glass doesn't crack, my room mate dropped her S3 from about 3 feet and it cracked the screen. Just a small crack, but still.

Also I'm having connection troubles with the wifi on my S3? It takes forever for facebook to load but I never had issues on my iPhone....

I heard mixed things about the Otterbox. Good protection but apparently the home screen becomes tougher to press because of the width of the case.

I picked up a Ringke Slim Lite based on recommendations in this thread. It cost $10, it's a hard case and -- as the name reveals -- is very light and very slim.

I also put this on my wish list because a co-worker has it and it looks super cool:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0091V7Y30/?tag=neogaf0e-20

How can I upload pictures in my photo gallery directly to Facebook or Twitter? Those aren't options in the stock gallery app, and I want to make the process as fast as possible.

An-Det

How can I upload pictures in my photo gallery directly to Facebook or Twitter? Those aren't options in the stock gallery app, and I want to make the process as fast as possible.

You can do it in stock. Tap on the icon circled below in the Gallery app, then click on what you want to upload it to.

91z28.png

You can do it in stock. Tap on the icon circled below in the Gallery app, then click on what you want to upload it to.

91z28.png

That's what I'm trying to do, but the two I mentioned aren't listed. Do I have to have the Facebook and Twitter apps downloaded? I figured it would be an option regardless if I had the app or not.

An-Det

That's what I'm trying to do, but the two I mentioned aren't listed. Do I have to have the Facebook and Twitter apps downloaded? I figured it would be an option regardless if I had the app or not.

Yeah, unfortunately it looks like you need the apps installed. Would be nice if the gallery did it directly, but I can understand the design choice.

Red_Man

Thanks for the heads up.

its probably because the facebook app sucks.
If I'm on my provider network it loads no problem, if I'm on my wifi at home it takes forever, whereas on my iPhone it never did.

I heard mixed things about the Otterbox. Good protection but apparently the home screen becomes tougher to press because of the width of the case.

I picked up a Ringke Slim Lite based on recommendations in this thread. It cost $10, it's a hard case and -- as the name reveals -- is very light and very slim.

I also put this on my wish list because a co-worker has it and it looks super cool:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0091V7Y30/?tag=neogaf0e-20
I'll take a look, thanks.

Angst

Does anyone know if Drop7 works well for this phone. I LOVED the game on iPhone, but I don't know of the Android version is lacking in any way. Please tell me it's worth it, as the game is fantastic.

Two more questions: is there a way to filter Google Play reviews to my phone only? I'd like to see what people who have my phone say about an app's performance. Also, is there an Dedicated Android thread?

EDIT: wow, crazy monkey read my mind.

Drop7 works just fine for my SGSII, so I doubt the III should have any trouble with it.

As for Android threads:

Android OT
Apps for Android
Android Gaming
Android Customization

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
My SIII updated itself yesterday. It's now using the 4.1.1 version of Android, and I already dislike the new icons.

With any luck, the audio glitch will be solved, though I'm not counting on it. If not, I'll take it to the service on Monday.

LogicStep

Well I'm really tired of CM10 with the constant bugs, small stuff that just irks me. What's the go to ROM for this device? If there isn't one that's amazing I'm going back to stock.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Well I'm really tired of CM10 with the constant bugs, small stuff that just irks me. What's the go to ROM for this device? If there isn't one that's amazing I'm going back to stock.

For me it's CM10.

Others have mentioned parandroid

BIGWORM

What bugs are you experiencing? I haven't ran I to any major ones running paranoid android.

LogicStep

What bugs are you experiencing? I haven't ran I to any major ones running paranoid android.

Sometimes the phone doesn't unlock when I hit the home or power button, glitches with some apps like Apollo, apps crashing, etc.

Don't know, CM10 is cool and all and I update it every week or two but these things that I listed never get fixed.

Also it seems my internal memory is running low, only 500mbs free of space, but I have space available on the sd card, how do I set it so the phone uses the sd card as the default storage location? I need to free up space on this.

kaskade

Ever since I updated to JB the Gallary app replaced the trash icon that was in the top right to a slideshow button. I liked the way it was before. Any way to change it back?

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Ever since I updated to JB the Gallary app replaced the trash icon that was in the top right to a slideshow button. I liked the way it was before. Any way to change it back?
Yes, I I'd like to know this too. It's so annoying having to delete a photo by pressing the menu button every time.

abrack08

I got this phone on Saturday. Yesterday, the screen cracked. Pretty bad.

I was sitting outside at a little picnic table waiting for a class to start. The seat was very low to the ground, and I had the phone in my right hand. I was switching the phone over to my left hand when it slipped and fell on my lap. Then, once it landed on my lap, it slowly slid down my leg and onto the ground. It fell/slid about a food and a half and landed face down on a soft hill that literally could be used as a pillow. I pick it up, thinking "Oh no I bet the screen got a little dirty", turn it around and I'm greeted by the sight of a nice spider web. I'm really mad, but I know any screen damage will just be called "user abuse". Not really fair, I'm probably never getting another Samsung phone. Any phone that can't withstand THAT is either a crappy product or defective, though they will admit neither.

EDIT: Also, totally unrelated, but sometimes when I'm typing it will just randomly not accept any input. Like, I'll hit a few letters, it'll vibrate and the letters will enlarge or whatever to show you that it knows what button you hit, but none of it shows up in the text field. Sometimes it'll do it for a few seconds then go back to typing regularly, sometimes I have to completely back out and go back into whatever app I was using.

And a third thing, I've seen other people talking about this but it's really lame with the stock message app that there's no way to change the vibration for texts/notifications. Even if you change the regular vibration to something else (like Heartbeat), the texts still stay on Basic Call. Pretty disappointed, I was considering going with the One X or Lumia 920, I probably should have.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
im still using cm10, and i have a question. are there issues with usb otg cables in jellybean? ive tried connecting an xbox 360 controller, and i have to tweak to get it to flash, and even then there are connection issues, like the controller not responding.

Red_Man

On my iPhone I used Tweetbot, and I'm a pretty big Twitter user, anything like it on Android? I need a twitter app that allows me to browse my separate lists, and I haven't found any that do this.

Cr0wn0

On my iPhone I used Tweetbot, and I'm a pretty big Twitter user, anything like it on Android? I need a twitter app that allows me to browse my separate lists, and I haven't found any that do this.
Falcon pro handles lists and looks great!

FreezeSSC

Hey anyone know if boost mobile will ever carry this phone? im out of contract with tmobile and i was thinking of picking up this phone but im tired of $90+ a month for my monthly plan.

kaskade

Hey anyone know if boost mobile will ever carry this phone? im out of contract with tmobile and i was thinking of picking up this phone but im tired of $90+ a month for my monthly plan.

Did you ever look into Ting? They advertise it on the Joe Rogan Experience sometimes so I believe there might be a coupon code to use for a discount(not sure though). They use the sprint network. You could always just do tmobile prepaid. They have some good prices with that option.

https://ting.com/r/rogan Found it. 50 bucks off service or device it seems.

BIGWORM

Finally took some pictures of my hardware setup:

GS3 + Anker 4400maH + Seidio Extended battery cover + ZuGadgets aluminum bumper:

IMHO, the phone still looks aesthetically pleasing to the eye.

teiresias

Hey guys, I just installed CM10, but the included file manager doesn't seem capable of seeing my external SDcard, it's only showing the internal storage. Is there a way to fix this, am I overlooking something, or is it better if I just download another file manager once I get gapps installed?

Hey guys, I just installed CM10, but the included file manager doesn't seem capable of seeing my external SDcard, it's only showing the internal storage. Is there a way to fix this, am I overlooking something, or is it better if I just download another file manager once I get gapps installed?

How steady is CM10 on the S3

BIGWORM

I suggest trying Solid Explorer Beta2 from the play store. I've used that app for my main file manager for months now, and it picks up both internal and external with no problems.

Top Bottom