• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S III (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Unsure if I should post here or in the new CM10 topic. But has any of the nightly's fixed the streaming bluetooth audio issue?

teiresias

I suggest trying Solid Explorer Beta2 from the play store. I've used that app for my main file manager for months now, and it picks up both internal and external with no problems.

Actually, I simply had to give the built-in file manager root access through its settings and I'm able to browse the entire phone now - so problem solved.

Unsure if I should post here or in the new CM10 topic. But has any of the nightly's fixed the streaming bluetooth audio issue?

I just flashed the nightly from last night (12/1/12) and don't have any streaming audio issues. I still have the same bug in my car where the first time I fire up a media player my car stereo's bluetooth doesn't play it. I have to shut down the player app and relaunch it for the car stereo to pick it up. However, this also happened on the stock Samsung JB rom (on the Sprint variant here), so I'm chalking this up to a quirk in my car stereo. The audio quality is definitely better on Bluetooth streaming audio on CM10 than it was on stock. Stock would have what sounded like high frequency compression artifiacts in the audio that drove me crazy and that's gone in CM10.

How steady is CM10 on the S3

I haven't had any issues, but I've only been using a CM10 nightly for less than 24 hours, but I haven't experienced any quirks yets.

DietRob

I just flashed the nightly from last night (12/1/12) and don't have any streaming audio issues. I still have the same bug in my car where the first time I fire up a media player my car stereo's bluetooth doesn't play it. I have to shut down the player app and relaunch it for the car stereo to pick it up. However, this also happened on the stock Samsung JB rom (on the Sprint variant here), so I'm chalking this up to a quirk in my car stereo. The audio quality is definitely better on Bluetooth streaming audio on CM10 than it was on stock. Stock would have what sounded like high frequency compression artifiacts in the audio that drove me crazy and that's gone in CM10.

That is great to hear. As mentioned right now I'm on the Stable version of CM10 for Sprint GS3 released on 11/13. The issue I have is in my car, it plays the audio but removes all bass which makes shit very unpleasant to listen to. I'll make a back-up and flash a nightly tonight.

I'll probably end up keeping whatever nightly fixes it until another stable build would that be OK to do?

teiresias

That is great to hear. As mentioned right now I'm on the Stable version of CM10 for Sprint GS3 released on 11/13. The issue I have is in my car, it plays the audio but removes all bass which makes shit very unpleasant to listen to. I'll make a back-up and flash a nightly tonight.

I'll probably end up keeping whatever nightly fixes it until another stable build would that be OK to do?

Have you ever streamed Bluetooth audio from anything else to your car? Are you sure this is a SG3 thing? Bluetooth further compresses audio for audio playback, so depending on what level of bluetooth your stereo supports it may be a function of the car's bluetooth support rather than the SG3. Of course, if you've had satisfactory bluetooth audio steraming with other devices in the same car than disregard my observation.

DietRob

Have you ever streamed Bluetooth audio from anything else to your car? Are you sure this is a SG3 thing? Bluetooth further compresses audio for audio playback, so depending on what level of bluetooth your stereo supports it may be a function of the car's bluetooth support rather than the SG3. Of course, if you've had satisfactory bluetooth audio steraming with other devices in the same car than disregard my observation.

Yea my wife has the Moto Photon 2 totally stock and it works flawlessly. When I was on stock for GS3 worked flawlessly I'm fairly confident it's CM10.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Took me quite a few hours of internet browsing and fiddling around with the phone, but I finally got it customized and set up the way I want it. It's really amazing how much you can customize it. Loving every aspect of the phone so far, and this is coming from a 3 year iPhone user.

chimpychi

Couldn't find if it's been discussed but i have a question about the LED notification light. I try to select colors for notifications but nothing is right. i pick blue and i get red. i pick green and get maroon or something. colors all over. i used an LED color tester and it failed every color i tried to pick. i've tried Light Flow and that didnt work either. is there a fix or is that just an issue with the phone??

Biff

For any fellow Rogers victims out there, we just got a Jelly Bean OTA update.

Wow, it makes a difference. Phone feels so much smoother now.

cvxfreak

Anyone have any tips on battery conservation?

For some reason, my phone went from around 30% to just 7% in the span of 2.5 hours while I was in an underground movie theater with no reception. Of course, having been watching a movie, I didn't use the phone at all at that time. So there must be some setting that causes it to drain so quickly.

On that note, do they sell battery chargers and space batteries in the U.S.? I've never seen any in Japan.

Seguin

Banned
Anyone have any tips on battery conservation?

For some reason, my phone went from around 30% to just 7% in the span of 2.5 hours while I was in an underground movie theater with no reception. Of course, having been watching a movie, I didn't use the phone at all at that time. So there must be some setting that causes it to drain so quickly.

On that note, do they sell battery chargers and space batteries in the U.S.? I've never seen any in Japan.

Doesn't the battery get drained super fast if the phone is constantly trying to find a connection?

Loving the phone, especially coming from the HTC Incredible (first-gen), but I am pretty frustrated with the same old gapps problem. I never expected it to continue with the S3, but just a few days after getting the phone I have to deal with gmail and play store crashes? Come on, google...

Unicorn

Couldn't find if it's been discussed but i have a question about the LED notification light. I try to select colors for notifications but nothing is right. i pick blue and i get red. i pick green and get maroon or something. colors all over. i used an LED color tester and it failed every color i tried to pick. i've tried Light Flow and that didnt work either. is there a fix or is that just an issue with the phone??
Yeah, same shit here. Fucking borkd.

asdad123

So my brother has this phone and it seems something is wrong with the battery.

He unplugged it before work. Left the phone in his car and 8 hours later when he came out it was at 4%.

Any advice on what it could be?

Battery Stats show: 83% Cell Standby : 8h 44m
Device Idle: 10%: 8h 38m
Screen: 4%: 6m 2s
Android OS: 3%: 1m 9s

According to the battery tracker, The Cell Radio and Wifi were on the whole time. Is it not supposed to be like that?

GPS and Bluetooth are off.

Running 4.04

Is the battery broken? The phone is only about 2 months old.

Zero Hero

So my brother has this phone and it seems something is wrong with the battery.

He unplugged it before work. Left the phone in his car and 8 hours later when he came out it was at 4%.

Any advice on what it could be?

Battery Stats show: 83% Cell Standby : 8h 44m
Device Idle: 10%: 8h 38m
Screen: 4%: 6m 2s
Android OS: 3%: 1m 9s

GPS and Bluetooth are off.

Is the battery broken? The phone is only about 2 months old.

How was the cell strength in that area? The lower the signal, the harder the phone works

Has anyone managed to resolve issues with connecting via Kies? I'm on windows 7 64-bit and have tried reinstalling Kies, reinstalling the usb drivers etc to no avail. Equally every time I try to connect using Kies via WiFi the app crashes on the phone. This is driving me up the wall :-(

Menelaus

Banned
I've never had luck plugging Androids into 64 bit machines...not sure why. Whenever I do ROM flashing I pull out an old 32 bit laptop.

Socreges

Banned
Its been up for a while. Try kies if you can't get the ota.
Wait, what's OTA? Or Kies?

I went to settings to check for updates and it said: "Access to the software update service is provided to users in the order in which they request it. Try later"

Huh?

Mr Swine

Banned
Wait, what's OTA? Or Kies?

I went to settings to check for updates and it said: "Access to the software update service is provided to users in the order in which they request it. Try later"

Huh?

OTA = Over the Air (wireless) and Kies is Samsungs program for smartphones

Socreges

Banned
Alright so I get the impression that I'm in a queue for the update through OTA.... but can download it manually through Kies Air? I've got Kies on my desktop right now, and can see my music, photos, calendar, file explorer, etc., but nothing about software updates. So what's the deal?

zedge

Alright so I get the impression that I'm in a queue for the update through OTA.... but can download it manually through Kies Air? I've got Kies on my desktop right now, and can see my music, photos, calendar, file explorer, etc., but nothing about software updates. So what's the deal?
Connect your USB cable and kies will update.

CRS

Those that have the XGear Spectre Screen, did you ever have any proximity sensor issues with your phone? My protector started cracking at the corner and about to order a new one when I realized that it was the Spectre that was causing the problem the entire time.

It says on the product page that it's had proximity issues before and if your sensor is the 5.0 cm variation, then it should be fine, but I guess they're wrong because I still had issues.

So now I need a new screen protector which is a shame because I was really liking the Spectre.

snacknuts

we all knew her
Are there any Verizon GS3 owners in here who have been using CM10? Is it any good? Looking to upgrade from my GNex, but I want to keep my software as close to stock Android as possible.

Menelaus

Banned
Are there any Verizon GS3 owners in here who have been using CM10? Is it any good? Looking to upgrade from my GNex, but I want to keep my software as close to stock Android as possible.

Curious to hear the answer to this. My qualm with AOSP roms is they always bork the camera, and I gotta have the camera working.

CRS

It's very nice. Just installed CM10 yesterday and haven't had any problems at all. Everything has been functional so far from what I've tested. Been slowly customizing it with themes and icons and will hopefully get something I like soon. But yeah, CM10 is a very solid ROM.

It's probably a defective battery or something. I can't think of any reason why a phone in standby would consume 96% of a battery in eight hours, regardless if a few options were left on.

Return the phone and exchange it.

Toki767

OMG According to XDA 4.1.1 is available for ATT phones via Kies. About to try this out!

I suppose I'll give 4.1.1 a whirl for a bit now at least until 4.2 ROMs are out. I'm going to miss the Android stock Messaging app though. I hate the one Samsung uses.

torontoml

So what does 4.1 add that I didn't already have on 4.0? I noticed it seems a bit smoother/quicker. Any significant additions that I have not noticed?

One issue I'm having though is that it seems to be disconnecting from wifi pretty much every time it is left idle for more than a 5 min. I already turned the wifi PSM off as that fixed most of the problem on 4.0

Top Bottom