• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S III (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

Toki767

So what does 4.1 add that I didn't already have on 4.0? I noticed it seems a bit smoother/quicker. Any significant additions that I have not noticed?

One issue I'm having though is that it seems to be disconnecting from wifi pretty much every time it is left idle for more than a 5 min. I already turned the wifi PSM off as that fixed most of the problem on 4.0

Google Now + Voice Search is the main one along with Project Butter which improves lag.

Expanded notifications are also added, but they're a lot nicer in 4.1.2 where you can expand as many as you want with one finger instead of having to use two.

torontoml

Google Now + Voice Search is the main one along with Project Butter which improves lag.

Expanded notifications are also added, but they're a lot nicer in 4.1.2 where you can expand as many as you want with one finger instead of having to use two.

How do i get this to work?

EDIT: Also for google now I saw in a video that one of the cards had like tracking information for a package? How can I get something like that there.

Menelaus

Banned
It's very nice. Just installed CM10 yesterday and haven't had any problems at all. Everything has been functional so far from what I've tested. Been slowly customizing it with themes and icons and will hopefully get something I like soon. But yeah, CM10 is a very solid ROM.
so you've tested the camera then? Would you say the quality is better or worse than the stock camera app? I've heard of crashes going into and out of the gallery from the camera app.

Toki767

How do i get this to work?

EDIT: Also for google now I saw in a video that one of the cards had like tracking information for a package? How can I get something like that there.

Press the microphone icon and then ask a question

For Google Now, go into the settings and it'll be under the Gmail settings for it. So far I've noticed it only really shows cards for Amazon orders. Haven't seen any pop up for Newegg or TigerDirect.

Toki767

Think I'll wait for a CWM flashable version of the JB update. That way I can keep my recovery and I won't have to reroot.

Socreges

Banned
Couple more Qs:

- Am I in trouble if I upgrade my firmware without backing up everything first?

- I've been upgrading through Kies for a while now. It says "Firmware upgrade progress" for a while now and has remained at 0%. And my phone is in 'ODIN MODE' with the Android logo and "Downloading..." underneath. Been like this for almost an hour mode, yet still at 0%. The fuck?

Just a bit frustrating since I really need to contact someone right now, but don't want to mess things up.

CRS

so you've tested the camera then? Would you say the quality is better or worse than the stock camera app? I've heard of crashes going into and out of the gallery from the camera app.

Yep. Both Camera and Camcorder and they work fine going to and from the gallery.

The camera quality is fine. Up there with Camera Zoom FX.

Socreges

Banned
Still stuck at 0%

Should I leave it and hope it's just the progress bar that's messed? Or would quitting be the best option, provided it wouldn't damage anything?

zedge

Still stuck at 0%

Should I leave it and hope it's just the progress bar that's messed? Or would quitting be the best option, provided it wouldn't damage anything?

Something is wrong, did the firmware download? You could try again, unplug the phone, hold power and restart the phone. Start over.

Also, the update is non wipe so you wont lose any info/data.

BIGWORM

Still stuck at 0%

If its still stick at 0%, you should be OK to pull battery and try again. I've done this in the past with stuck updates over ODIN, and I was ok.

Be warned, you do run the chance of FUBARing your phone, don't say I didn't warn. Also, I won't be responsible for any damage that has occurred henceforth.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.

Stock CM10 camera is fine. The trouble people (myself included) ran into is when I installed the 4.2 camera APK that is when I started getting crashes and "gallery not found" messages. As soon as I uninstalled it and went back to the 4.1.2 camera no issues.

BIGWORM

Stock CM10 camera is fine. The trouble people (myself included) ran into is when I installed the 4.2 camera APK that is when I started getting crashes and "gallery not found" messages. As soon as I uninstalled it and went back to the 4.1.2 camera no issues.

If you want, there's a modified GAPPS that has all 4.2 apks except for camera and gallery. Its in the paranoid android thread in the tmo gs3 forum on xda.

Socreges

Banned
A moment:

Fuck this motherfucking glitched out fucking fuck of an upgrade process.

Not willing to yank out the battery. So I need to continually do emergency recoveries.

Amazing how much you need your phone to stay in touch with the world.

DietRob

If you want, there's a modified GAPPS that has all 4.2 apks except for camera and gallery. Its in the paranoid android thread in the tmo gs3 forum on xda.

I have a Sprint GS3 not TMO but I guess that wouldn't matter when it came to GAPPS though right? Got a direct link? PM it to me.

edit: Do you mean the CM10 thread? I searched for "paranoid android" and no such threads exist.

zedge

A moment:

Fuck this motherfucking glitched out fucking fuck of an upgrade process.

Not willing to yank out the battery. So I need to continually do emergency recoveries.

Amazing how much you need your phone to stay in touch with the world.

That sucks, I didn't have any problems using Kies. Did you try again?

LogicStep

So I remember someone mentioning a few things that you could disable on the stock firmware to improve battery life. What were those things? I just went back to stock and I'm upgrading to the official JB right now.

DietRob

So I remember someone mentioning a few things that you could disable on the stock firmware to improve battery life. What were those things? I just went back to stock and I'm upgrading to the official JB right now.

If I were on stock the first thing I would disable would be Kies and any carrier specific apps. Put a quick toggle on your home screen for Wifi. If you aren't somewhere your using it turn it off. Scanning for Wifi will dent the battery just a little bit.

Other than that I can't think of any. It's been a while since I've been on Stock. I average about 13 hours on CM10.

Trying again right now. Currently found my way back to 0%. Phone still telling me "Firmware upgraded encountered an issue."

is this through a usb connection? I've never updated through kies or whatever, but I've heard that flashing stuff through Odin can be a little finicky depending on the usb cable being used. Something about the cables that come with phones not working properly or something. Maybe try another usb cable if you have any? I never actually tried the one that came with my phone, I used one from another phone whenever I used odin

Menelaus

Banned

Turn off S-Beam, NFC, Bluetooth, and disable all the bloatware that comes with it (can't uninstall). If you can stay on Wifi throughout the day do that as well.

Socreges

Banned
is this through a usb connection? I've never updated through kies or whatever, but I've heard that flashing stuff through Odin can be a little finicky depending on the usb cable being used. Something about the cables that come with phones not working properly or something. Maybe try another usb cable if you have any? I never actually tried the one that came with my phone, I used one from another phone whenever I used odin
Interesting... I'm using a Blackberry cable.

I'll try changing it up. Wouldn't be surprised if the connection is the issue.

itxaka

Defeatist
Turn off S-Beam, NFC, Bluetooth, and disable all the bloatware that comes with it (can't uninstall). If you can stay on Wifi throughout the day do that as well.

I used titanium backup to freeze them and after a while of seeing that the phone was working on I deleted then directly.

Of course you need root for this.

Heh. blainethemono was saying the opposite.

that was something i heard when i was rooting my phone, i don't know whether it matters for this specific phone though. maybe the cable it comes with is fine. the one i used was the one from a nexus s 4g

http://www.epiccm.org/2012/06/cwm-recovery-on-all-sgs3-lte-variants.html

Troubleshooting Odin
The #1 cause of Odin flash failures is a bad USB cable. USB cables that come with phones are often not good enough. It is hit or miss with retail USB cables, you might try two seemingly identical cables but only one consistently works. Find a USB cable that works for Odin and stick with it. Installation Instructions

I also heard that sometimes odin can freeze up before it starts doing anything and that you can just remove the usb cable and plug it back in and then it starts working. I don't really know how kies works but if it's doing stuff in download mode then I suppose its probably the same thing mostly

Socreges

Banned
Thanks for the info

Wish I'd just waited for the upgrade to be available on the phone. Now I'm not able to use my phone until this somehow resolves itself. (currently on my 4th emergency recovery, this time with a new usb cable)

RuGalz

Are there any Verizon GS3 owners in here who have been using CM10? Is it any good? Looking to upgrade from my GNex, but I want to keep my software as close to stock Android as possible.

Personally I went back to leaked JB stock after 3 days. I had too many issues with my car's stereo and GPS quit working when used in conjunction with Bluetooth.

zedge

Thanks for the info

Wish I'd just waited for the upgrade to be available on the phone. Now I'm not able to use my phone until this somehow resolves itself. (currently on my 4th emergency recovery, this time with a new usb cable)

Wow... I'm sorry this has gone so bad for you. :(

If this does not work you may want to just do a complete wipe/reset.

Hold Power + Volume Up + Home.

That should bring up the recovery menu which will let you factory reset. This will completely wipe the phone however.

BIGWORM

I have a Sprint GS3 not TMO but I guess that wouldn't matter when it came to GAPPS though right? Got a direct link? PM it to me.

edit: Do you mean the CM10 thread? I searched for "paranoid android" and no such threads exist.

GAPPS are universal to the compatible CM, not carrier. Let me get home and I'll shoot you a link.

Socreges

Banned
Wow... I'm sorry this has gone so bad for you. :(

If this does not work you may want to just do a complete wipe/reset.

Hold Power + Volume Up + Home.

That should bring up the recovery menu which will let you factory reset. This will completely wipe the phone however.
Yeah... that'd be rough. I'm not sure if certain contacts are saved on the SIM or the phone itself. Probably not willing to do a factory reset, but it may come to that.

[edit] Also, I can't access the recovery menu apparently. No matter what I do, I'm brought back to the same screen: Odin mode (+ stats) top left, exclamation mark symbol indicating broken communication between phone and PC, and the message "Firmware upgrade encountered an issue. Please select recovery mode in Kies and try again."

Might just be that I don't have a good enough USB cable.

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
Kies keeps crashing when I get to the 'Downloading firmware components' screen. I think that is what it says anyway. Program just straight up quits.

DietRob

GAPPS are universal to the compatible CM, not carrier. Let me get home and I'll shoot you a link.

Good deal I'd appreciate a PM when you are able. What if any improvements are there if the 4.2 camera and gallery aren't present?

Better version of gmail and calendar?

Top Bottom