• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S III (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

Cipherr

Sold. Basically the perfect phone. And all this who ha about Pentile, when I used the Galaxy Nexus I couldn't even pick out the pixels. It's much a do about nothing.

Bonus points, Micro SD, removable battery, 2100mAh battery. Dayum.

It has a 64GB built in variant and it also supports 64GB microSD cards. 128GB :lol

Pop up play = the kind of stuff faster chips in phones will benefit.

border

Are they really going to use "Designed For Humans" as their slogan/tagline? What the hell does that even mean?

SimleuqiR

I'm starting to suspect this phone was designed by a robot.

"It's watching your every move, never blinking! All the time! It will predict what you are thinking. What human wouldn't want that?"

Ceiling Cat - By Samsung.

cat084.png

Cipherr

This lady on the Stream has much more swag than they boring planks of wood they had doing the presentation. That shit was dry as hell.

The HTC and Facebook phone is old news, I think that was known like 6 months ago or so.

thirty

Banned
honestly though, if no one talked about it or saw that picture how many people would notice it for themselves? id wager not many.

a 15% increase in battery size can be instantly appreciated however
I noticed it before I even knew what pentile was. I kept wondering why all the new phones looked like screen doors then researched it.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
That has to be one of the worst commercials I have ever seen, which is a shame cuz this seems to be the Android phone to get.

Absolutely terrible. None of the good software ideas its talking about actually make it through to the viewer. Even on stage, some of the stuff they talked about seemed potentially cool, but they demoed them all horribly.

Toki767

I'm more curious on if the US model will have the 4 capacitive buttons or if they'll finally just give us the international setup. I'm starting to hate accidentally hitting that search button my phone.

voodooray

TheDiabolical

I didn't read my own avatar and now everyone knows I'm not too bright. :(
i still want the phone but that press conference reminded how dull Sonys will be again at E3

nib95

Banned
- Eye tracking for screen saver
- Text to ear immediate call
- Pop up screen (keep watching video's whilst texting etc)

Great little features. S voice etc are also good but expected.

Cipherr

Only thing that gets me is it has a 2100. Thats 100 mAh over Sprints HTC One X. But its also 4.7 versus 4.8 and its AMOLED which takes more battery displaying white backgrounds, and I use my phone for the web ALOT. So maybe the battery life will even out, or be close between the two.

But watch Sprint change their S3 to a 2300 mAh or some shit just to try and make me regret my purchase.

nib95

Banned
Only thing that gets me is it has a 2100. Thats 100 mAh over Sprints HTC One X. But its also 4.7 versus 4.8 and its AMOLED which takes more battery displaying white backgrounds, and I use my phone for the web ALOT. So maybe the battery life will even out, or be close between the two.

But watch Sprint change their S3 to a 2300 mAh or some shit just to try and make me regret my purchase.

Samsung said the new screen was even more energy efficient than the S2's, so I wouldn't worry.

Cipherr

That's pretty lame. I was expecting something much cooler.

No thanks

Samsung will also issue a standard vertical charging stand, so you can plug the phone in upright on a desk without any messy wires.

Ill take the standard desk charger. Still not totally sold on those chargers, Make them as thin as a mousepad and large and I might consider it. But Im not sitting my phone on something that looks like a shiny brick.

rozay

Banned
Samsung said the new screen was even more energy efficient than the S2's, so I wouldn't worry.
That doesn't change the fact that they use more power displaying whites an othe bright colors (websites) than an LCD. the power benefits really aren't that drastic overall, it's just a marketing term since pixels can be turned off

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Was busy so I missed the stream, but I read through the thread and it sounds like this phone is the phone for me to finally make the jump to a smartphone.

I like the look, it doesn't just look like all the others out there, especially color-wise, I'm picky as hell but I don't see the screen being PenTile going to bother me at all when looking at the comparisons, and even if I went to a phone without the PenTile, everything ELSE on the phone just outshines the rest in my book. Especially the removable battery and memory expansion.

I want this.

Hopefully someone recorded the stream, I don't care how it sounded, the more I see the phone in action, the better.

Zeppelin

Well, that design is a little bit less boring the the S/S2 designs. A small step in the right direction, I'll give them that. I wonder if it'll feel just as cheap as their phones usually do.

border

That ad reminds me of all those phony heartwarming/heartbreaking Korean life insurance commercials. "Buy our boring product because we can manipulate your emotions with sentimental imagery!"

rozay

Banned
So that's a menu button rather than a multitasking button?
yeah, holding home brings up multitasking like previous galaxy phones. The layout makes more sense for hardware keys than the One X, and I guess it's for the best because it'll be familiar to owners of other international Samsung phones.

Cipherr

Was busy so I missed the stream, but I read through the thread and it sounds like this phone is the phone for me to finally make the jump to a smartphone.

I like the look, it doesn't just look like all the others out there, especially color-wise, I'm picky as hell but I don't see the screen being PenTile going to bother me at all when looking at the comparisons, and even if I went to a phone without the PenTile, everything ELSE on the phone just outshines the rest in my book. Especially the removable battery and memory expansion.

I want this.

Hopefully someone recorded the stream, I don't care how it sounded, the more I see the phone in action, the better.

A good hands on is over at engadget: http://www.engadget.com/2012/05/03/samsung-galaxy-s-iii-preview-hands-on/

they had me at removable battery and microsd slot.

dear HTC EVO 4G LTE: Nas won.

Your gonna get this over the Evo 4G? Im thinking the opposite, I still have time to decide though.

Top Bottom