• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S III (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

Socreges

Banned
I'm at a loss here. Emergency recovery isn't working. Recovery menu won't show up. It's like my phone is stuck permanently.

BIGWORM

A.Romero

I'm at a loss here. Emergency recovery isn't working. Recovery menu won't show up. It's like my phone is stuck permanently.

I would flash another fw through odin. Maybe cm it something like that.

As long as you can enter download mode, you can probably save your phone.

Toki767

Wait you flashed through Kies or through Odin? At this rate, if you can reach download mode, I'd just flash through Odin if I were you.

Socreges

Banned
I would flash another fw through odin. Maybe cm it something like that.

As long as you can enter download mode, you can probably save your phone.

If you can get to Download mode, stop fucking around with Kies (seriously) and flash your ROM through ODIN.

Wait you flashed through Kies or through Odin? At this rate, if you can reach download mode, I'd just flash through Odin if I were you.
So at the top left of the screen (the only screen that loads on my phone), it says:

ODIN MODE
PRODUCT NAME:
CUSTOM BINARY
etc
etc

Then below:

"Firmware upgrade encountered an issue. Please select recovery mode in Kies & try again."

So, I'm confused. Odin and Kies are apparently two things, but Kies is clearly using Odin mode to update the firmware. I have continued to use Kies, unaware that there would be any alternative at this stage.

Anyway, I have no idea how to get to "download mode". In fact, I have no idea how to get to any other screen besides the one I described above, and off.

Angst

So at the top left of the screen (the only screen that loads on my phone), it says:

ODIN MODE
PRODUCT NAME:
CUSTOM BINARY
etc
etc

Then below:

"Firmware upgrade encountered an issue. Please select recovery mode in Kies & try again."

So, I'm confused. Odin and Kies are apparently two things, but Kies is clearly using Odin mode to update the firmware. I have continued to use Kies, unaware that there would be any alternative at this stage.

Anyway, I have no idea how to get to "download mode". In fact, I have no idea how to get to any other screen besides the one I described above, and off.
Yikes...

you can't get to download mode using Power, Vol down and home while starting your phone?

http://www.android.gs/download-mode-galaxy-s3/

Socreges

Banned
Yikes...

you can't get to download mode using Power, Vol down and home while starting your phone?

http://www.android.gs/download-mode-galaxy-s3/

That IS Download Mode. Holding Power + Volume Up + Home gets you to Recovery Mode. Which is what Kies seems to want you to go to.

If you want to try using Odin though, you can look through this page. It has everything you need.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1739426
Neither does anything apart from rebooting the phone, which then goes to the exact same screen/mode.

I'm sorry for being a bit Android illiterate and I appreciate everyone trying to help. Not totally resigned yet.

rc213

Neither does anything apart from rebooting the phone, which then goes to the exact same screen/mode.

I'm sorry for being a bit Android illiterate and I appreciate everyone trying to help. Not totally resigned yet.

ATT GS3 i747?

Try this: http://www.s3forums.com/forum/galax...re-upgrade-encountered-issue-please-help.html

Post #2 for Directions, Post #11 for I747 Stock Firmware

Latest Odin: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1737848

Make sure you uninstall Kies and it's drivers as those might be causing conflict.

*Take no responsibility if your phone explodes, Just trying to help. Good luck!

Don't use ATT Firmware I linked too, Let me see if I can find Rogers stock.

FOUND HERE: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1968625

Socreges

Banned
Rogers SGH-1747

jUSf1YV0QwGC2.jpg

Socreges

Banned
Oh Rogers. Using Odin will definitely be easier. Follow the link I gave you since the one rc213 linked to on XDA is only for AT&T firmware.

Don't be afraid about pulling the battery out. Just pull it out, put it back in, then hold down the Volume Down, Home, and Power buttons and do not let go until you hit a screen that says to press Volume Up to enter Download Mode.
Great, thanks. I'll try this out tomorrow.

Socreges

Banned
I lied. Decided to do it tonight. Update just completed.

Sucks that my phone is now "modified". All I wanted to do was get Jelly Bean! Thought using Kies would be an innocuous way to do so! Now my warranty is voided and I'm not sure what other consequences might await (if any).

JB's pretty slick, though. Just gotta figure out why ICS+ Browser isn't working

Thanks for the help, everybody

Angst

Sucks that my phone is now "modified". All I wanted to do was get Jelly Bean! Thought using Kies would be an innocuous way to do so! Now my warranty is voided and I'm not sure what other consequences might await (if any).

Warranty should be ok. If you for some reason need to send it in, just flash a stock ROM. You can also use Triangle Away to get rid of the triangle.

ICS+ Browser is for ICS, not JB.

Socreges

Banned
ICS+ Browser is for ICS, not JB.
I did figure that, but got conflicting information. Maybe it was an older web page. So what's the equivalent JB browser then? I loved ICS+

Anyway good to know

[edit] nm, stock browser has quick controls....

Angst

I did figure that, but got conflicting information. Maybe it was an older web page. So what's the equivalent JB browser then? I loved ICS+

Anyway good to know

yeah stock is good with the quick controls. Boat is nice, but recently they added ads to the start page and you have to do an IAP to remove them... so I'll probably go back to stock.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
I have the Dolphin browser which I love, but I tried the stock browser again while having power saving enabled and noticed that the browser's screen gets toned downed by a lot while on Dolphin it remains the same. I assume that the power saving feature only works for stock apps?

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Yeah, better version of gmail that I know of, also more updated Play Store. I'm home, but I can't find the link that I used, but I have the zip on my phone:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2xfsabbtrw5d39m/gapps-jb-20121104_4.2-signed.zip?m

Uploaded straight to my dropbox.

I flashed this just before I headed off to bed. I've messed around with gmail, now, and calendar and can't see any differences what so ever, call me when they have the 4.2 camera and gallery working properly.

Or let me know what differences I should be looking for coming from gapps-jb-42-20121103

Menelaus

Banned
Figured I'd play with flashing CM10 this afternoon while I'm bored at work. I already rooted, unlocked my bootloader, and installed CWR. Should just have to install CM from zip and install gapps and be good to go, right?

(Haven't flashed a CM ROM since the Droid X)

zedge

Anyway good to know

Did you flash the stock Rogers rom? Looks like it was in that xda thread. If so your warranty is fine. It will not trip the counter.

rc213

Good to hear you got it working, As others have said if you flashed the stock rom through odin your warranty is intact. Even though it's not hard to get a phone back to stock with certain tools to make sure they can't tell you ever flashed anything but stock.

Slizz

What happens/how long does it take install everything for JB?

I'm AT&T and currently my upgrade has been sitting at 100% for downloading firware upgrade components.

EDIT: Now after being at 100% it just closed and did nothing. Restarted Kies, re-downloading update....

Toki767

Glad to hear your phone is up and working again! I went to sleep last night but I wondered how you were doing lol. On the bright side, once someone gets a stock firmware up, you will just be able to use Odin to flash that and your phone should be back to normal. And you can see if your flash counter went up by booting into download mode. If it went up, just use Triangle Away to reset it and you'll be fine.

What happens/how long does it take install everything for JB?

I'm AT&T and currently my upgrade has been sitting at 100% for downloading firware upgrade components.

EDIT: Now after being at 100% it just closed and did nothing. Restarted Kies, re-downloading update....

Was your phone in download mode?

Toki767

One thing I don't miss from Touchwiz coming from CM10 are all the ongoing notifications. I don't need a notification telling me wifi is connected or that I have blocking mode enabled.

Slizz

How do I put it in DL mode?? I have it connected via USB, Kies Air running, and Kies. Downloads to 100%, completes it then Kies freezes.

<3 you AT&T

Slizz

Turn your phone off, hold down the volume down, home, and power button.

Trying now, flashed a screen warning me about using other OS's then jus powered up regularly. I don't remember this being this difficult when I had the Captivate to upgrade.

EDIT: LOL its like a sick game my phone is playing with me. Keeps powering up regardless of the fact I'm holding vol down and home as well.

Toki767

Trying now, flashed a screen warning me about using other OS's then jus powered up regularly. I don't remember this being this difficult when I had the Captivate to upgrade.

EDIT: LOL its like a sick game my phone is playing with me. Keeps powering up regardless of the fact I'm holding vol down and home as well.

Err...you're letting go once you get to the screen where it warns you, and then you pressed volume up to continue right?

Slizz

Err...you're letting go once you get to the screen where it warns you, and then you pressed volume up to continue right?
Yeah, finally was able to do that. I pressed volume up and it says its downloading but I havent started kies or anything yet on my comp

Seems to be working now thank you Toki

Toki767

Yeah, finally was able to do that. I pressed volume up and it says its downloading but I havent started kies or anything yet on my comp

Seems to be working now thank you Toki

No problem. I suspect Kies just wasn't putting the phone itself into download mode even though it should have done so automatically.

Slizz

No problem. I suspect Kies just wasn't putting the phone itself into download mode even though it should have done so automatically.

Seems to be what happened though as soon as I say its working fine, I'm stuck on the Downloading... screen in download mode and Kies won't connect to my device.

Toki767

Seems to be what happened though as soon as I say its working fine, I'm stuck on the Downloading... screen in download mode and Kies won't connect to my device.

Potentially stupid question but you have the right drivers installed right?

Slizz

Potentially stupid question but you have the right drivers installed right?

Yeah, no interruptions during the download of all the drivers.

So it seems the problem is I can't go into DL mode manually, then have Kies recognize my phone

Turn phone on in regular mode Kies gets it and asks me if I want to update, rinse, repeat bs.

Toki767

Yeah, no interruptions during the download of all the drivers.

Well if you're impatient and not wanting to wait for the OTA update, you can always install it using Odin.

Another stupid question is are you running Kies as an Administrator?

Slizz

Well if you're impatient and not wanting to wait for the OTA update, you can always install it using Odin.

Another stupid question is are you running Kies as an Administrator?

Lol yes is that why its messing up?

Hmmm, as soon as I click upgrade, the main Kies screen not the download screen acts like no devices are connected

Pein

Banned
Got my mom one of these phones as a early christmas gift. Liked mine and her options on metropcs were limited so got her this. Crazy to think a prepaid phone is so damn nice, they've really come a long way, paid $400, less then when I got my att version of ebay.

Toki767

Oh so apparently to anyone waiting on the OTA AT&T update for Jelly Bean...yeah, that's not coming. Samsung's website states that it's only available through Kies. And of course Odin which is probably much less painful to use.

Also, Google Now voice search seems to be outputting to the phone instead of the speaker. That's kind of weird. I shouldn't have to hold up the phone to my ear to hear an answer.

Also, universal search is in the AT&T update for Jelly Bean. Looks like Samsung forgot to remove it.

Socreges

Banned
Did you flash the stock Rogers rom? Looks like it was in that xda thread. If so your warranty is fine. It will not trip the counter.
Yes. Though when I clicked on an update, after turning on my phone, it said my phone was modified. Is that not important then?

Glad to hear your phone is up and working again! I went to sleep last night but I wondered how you were doing lol. On the bright side, once someone gets a stock firmware up, you will just be able to use Odin to flash that and your phone should be back to normal. And you can see if your flash counter went up by booting into download mode. If it went up, just use Triangle Away to reset it and you'll be fine.

Was your phone in download mode?
Thanks, man.

Love you guys

plasmasd

Well I hard bricked my I747. Used Mobile Odin to install official JB from rooted stock. Clicked flash- went straight to black screen. No download mode, nada. Only sign of life is just QHSUSB_DLOAD in the device manager. Gonna need a Jtag.

Will never ever use mobile odin again.

BIGWORM

Well I hard bricked my I747. Used Mobile Odin to install official JB from rooted stock. Clicked flash- went straight to black screen. No download mode, nada. Only sign of life is just QHSUSB_DLOAD in the device manager. Gonna need a Jtag.

I would've advised you against it. The only ODIN I EVER do is with the OEM cable and ODIN on my computer.

Socreges

Banned
Wow, stock JB browser is terrible, or at least terrible with GAF mobile. Unresponsive, won't select certain thing that I click on, and select/cut highlights the right text but then cuts something completely different.

Is this unique to me?

Toki767

Sorry to hear that. I haven't had problems with it myself but I may stop using it just to be safe.

Top Bottom