• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S III (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

BIGWORM

Wow, stock JB browser is terrible, or at least terrible with GAF mobile. Unresponsive, won't select certain thing that I click on, and select/cut highlights the right text but then cuts something completely different.

Is this unique to me?

Sounds like you're back up and going. I would suggest trying Chrome or Firefox for browser. Both of them blow stock TW browser out of the water, though I've never played with the AOSP browser to compare to Chrome or Firefox.

Toki767

Sounds like you're back up and going. I would suggest trying Chrome or Firefox for browser. Both of them blow stock TW browser out of the water, though I've never played with the AOSP browser to compare to Chrome or Firefox.

Starting with Jelly Bean, Chrome is the AOSP's stock browser.

Bruiserk

I have an issue with headphones. When ever I am playing music and the song ends, it will play the next song through the phone speakers even though the headphones are still connected. I have to manually choose the next song for it to play through the headphones. Any advice?

Edit: it might have fixed itself.

Has anyone encountered an issue with the S3 where you will turn off the screen during a call, but it will activate and hang up on the call? My wife says this constantly happens to her and she ends up hanging up on call all of the time. I have never had a problem nor has anyone else I know that has an S3, so I can't tell if it's just her or if it's an actual issue.

Socreges

Banned
Since I got my phone working, I haven't had access to the Rogers network. Mobile network state: disconnected. So I'm only connected via wifi and can't make/receive phone calls. When I go to select a network operator, it searches but finds nothing.

Hoping I'm just overlooking something this time.

BIGWORM

Since I got my phone working, I haven't had access to the Rogers network. Mobile network state: disconnected. So I'm only connected via wifi and can't make/receive phone calls. When I go to select a network operator, it searches but finds nothing.

Are you rooted running a custom recovery? If you are, flash a radio for Roger's.

Toki767

You didn't install the AT&T rom did you? Is your IMEI number still there?

Socreges

Banned
Hmm...well the modem is clearly there. What does the kernal version say?
3.0.31-######
se.infra@SEP-.....
SMP PREEMPT Tue Nov 20 22:42:27 KST 2012

I have no idea what any of this means, or if any of it should remain private (I don't think so, but just being cautious). You ask me questions, I give you the info.

Toki767

3.0.31-######
se.infra@SEP-.....
SMP PREEMPT Tue Nov 20 22:42:27 KST 2012

I have no idea what any of this means, or if any of it should remain private (I don't think so, but just being cautious). You ask me questions, I give you the info.

Well nothing should be wrong. Maybe you should try reinstalling through Odin or factory resetting the phone or both.

Socreges

Banned
Well nothing should be wrong. Maybe you should try reinstalling through Odin or factory resetting the phone or both.
694.png

I wish I could afford to just toss it to the side and forget about it for a day.

Anyway, thanks for the help.

CRS

694.png

I wish I could afford to just toss it to the side and forget about it for a day.

Anyway, thanks for the help.

Settings -> Wireless & Networks (this might be different for you. This is what it says on CM10) -> Mobile Networks -> Mess with stuff there.

I had to mess with Network Mode/CDMA Subscription to get my cell phone service working.

Toki767

Settings -> Wireless & Networks (this might be different for you. This is what it says on CM10) -> Mobile Networks -> Mess with stuff there.

I had to mess with Network Mode/CDMA Subscription to get my cell phone service working.

Oh that might work.

Settings > More Settings > Mobile networks > Access Point Names or Network Operators and see if you have choices there.

It does just say default setup under Network Operators for me on AT&T though. No options at all. Maybe it's different for Rogers.

Socreges

Banned

Oh that might work.

Settings > More Settings > Mobile networks > Access Point Names or Network Operators and see if you have choices there.

It does just say default setup under Network Operators for me on AT&T though. No options at all. Maybe it's different for Rogers.[/b]
Under 'Network Operators', it says "Select a network operator". I click on that, search, Rogers/Telus/Bell comes up. I select Rogers. Tells me I've registered with Rogers. Nothing else happens.

Toki767

Under 'Network Operators', it says "Select a network operator". I click on that, search, Rogers/Telus/Bell comes up. I select Rogers. Tells me I've registered with Rogers. Nothing else happens.

I guess reflashing or wiping data would probably be the last resort.

CRS

Huh. :/

Are you using a custom ROM or did you just root?

Try factory resetting and/or wiping the data and cache.

Picked up this phone through a Black Friday deal and shopping around for a few accessories.
Any cases or covers that come highly recommended?

A.Romero

Does it work now?

This kind of things happen from time to time...

Don't worry, Galaxy phones are hard to brick. You should be fine, just be patient.

On the brightside, with what you are doing now, you pretty much have the knowledge necessary to flash custom roms. I highly recommend you to try them, specially now that you might have lost your info.

Socreges

Banned
So, uh... it's working now. Dunno what was wrong exactly, but maybe it just took several hours for Rogers to calibrate with the software on my phone...?

Anyway. Yeah. Gonna leave you guys alone now.

On the brightside, with what you are doing now, you pretty much have the knowledge necessary to flash custom roms. I highly recommend you to try them, specially now that you might have lost your info.
Yep. Not nearly as daunting now. Might give it a shot. I'll do my own research, though, rather than inundate this thread with more questions.

CRS

Good to hear. If you're in a low reception area, it takes a REALLY LONG time for the phone to activate. It took me quite a while even though I was on Verizon's network.

Toki767

So, uh... it's working now. Dunno what was wrong exactly, but maybe it just took several hours for Rogers to calibrate with the software on my phone...?

Yep. Not nearly as daunting now. Might give it a shot. I'll do my own research, though, rather than inundate this thread with more questions.

I didn't think it really worked that way, but all's well that ends well. If you have any more questions feel free to ask. That's what this thread is for afterall.

zedge

Good to hear, definitely a learning experience eh.. You will be flashing custom ROMS in your sleep soon..haha. :D

kaskade

I have a weird issue. It's not CM10 because ti was happening on TW as well. If I take a picture and got to send it sometimes it'll rotate. It shows up fine in gallery.

Edit: It only seems to do it when I hold the phone in portrait mode. If I take the picture landscape it's fine. Weird.

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
Kies keeps crashing when I get to the 'Downloading firmware components' screen. I think that is what it says anyway. Program just straight up quits.

I've tried everything that I know how to do. When I put my phone into Odin mode, Kies doesn't recognize it. When it does recognize my phone, the program quits without updating. So much of this shit is just over my head. If anyone wants to talk to me like I'm 5, I'd appreciate it. I'm new to Android and am completely lost.

Ecto311

I have a weird issue. It's not CM10 because ti was happening on TW as well. If I take a picture and got to send it sometimes it'll rotate. It shows up fine in gallery.

Edit: It only seems to do it when I hold the phone in portrait mode. If I take the picture landscape it's fine. Weird.

mine has done that one CM10 since I installed it months ago with the nightlys. Sometimes the updates get it right then fuck it up later. Not sure why this happens its not like I start taking the pic and move the cam. It also does it to video. Never did find a fix either so if anyone knows anything let us know.

Socreges

Banned
I've tried everything that I know how to do. When I put my phone into Odin mode, Kies doesn't recognize it. When it does recognize my phone, the program quits without updating. So much of this shit is just over my head. If anyone wants to talk to me like I'm 5, I'd appreciate it. I'm new to Android and am completely lost.
Fuck Kies.

Did you see the drama with me over the last two pages? Your problem might have the same solution.

1. Fuck Kies.
2. Download Odin (program for PC)
3. Put phone into download mode
4. Use Odin to update phone

Does that sound like it might work? I'll refer you to the necessary posts, if so.

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
Fuck Kies.

Did you see the drama with me over the last two pages? Your problem might have the same solution.

1. Fuck Kies.
2. Download Odin (program for PC)
3. Put phone into download mode
4. Use Odin to update phone

Does that sound like it might work? I'll refer you to the necessary posts, if so.

I got lost in Far Cry 3. I'll give it a shot.

Socreges

Banned
I got lost in Far Cry 3. I'll give it a shot.
Great explanation and all relevant links: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1739426

I'm new to Android, too, and didn't have much problem following their instructions.

That said -- my phone was essentially trapped and it was either that or nothing. If you can just not update, that's also an option.

Anyone want to confirm that this is a good route for him to go? I know there's some risk involved and don't know if it's the appropriate solution for him.

Toki767

Great explanation and all relevant links: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1739426

I'm new to Android, too, and didn't have much problem following their instructions.

That said -- my phone was essentially trapped and it was either that or nothing. If you can just not update, that's also an option.

Anyone want to confirm that this is a good route for him to go? I know there's some risk involved and don't know if it's the appropriate solution for him.
Wouldn't hurt to try Kies first. It worked the first time my brother updated his phone to JB so it's definitely a YMMV situation with it.

Socreges

Banned
Wouldn't hurt to try Kies first. It worked the first time my brother updated his phone to JB so it's definitely a YMMV situation with it.
UH, I THINK I KNOW WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT HERE DUDE

No but seriously, I was under the impression he'd already tried Kies and hit a wall.

Toki767

UH, I THINK I KNOW WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT HERE DUDE

No but seriously, I was under the impression he'd already tried Kies and hit a wall.

Don't get me wrong, my preferred method and the method I used to install JB was Odin. Didn't even try Kies. But for people who don't want to wonder if they're doing everything right, as easy as Odin is, Kies is still probably the preferred choice by the casual person.

marrec

Banned
Don't get me wrong, my preferred method and the method I used to install JB was Odin. Didn't even try Kies. But for people who don't want to wonder if they're doing everything right, as easy as Odin is, Kies is still probably the preferred choice by the casual person.

Honestly I've never had a problem with Kies, pretty painless installation.

Top Bottom