• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S III (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

EGM92

I don't know what drove me to it, but I installed JB... man Samsung couldn't have fucked it up worse imo. I'm back with AOKP and my phone is a hell of a lot faster, battery is lasting much longer and it's never hot for any reason other than I was playing a game on it.

pr0cs

I noticed that on my i747m they disabled the ability to keep LTE off and still run on HSPA. on 4.0 you used to be able to eak out a few more hours by keeping LTE off but that option is now gone, now it's LTE or GSM (and GSM has no data, at least not in my office this morning).

That is going to put the battery life in the toilet. I like LTE but typically keep it off unless I'm doing something that demands the speed.

Menelaus

Banned
I noticed that on my i747m they disabled the ability to keep LTE off and still run on HSPA. on 4.0 you used to be able to eak out a few more hours by keeping LTE off but that option is now gone, now it's LTE or GSM (and GSM has no data, at least not in my office this morning).

That is going to put the battery life in the toilet. I like LTE but typically keep it off unless I'm doing something that demands the speed.

You can download an app called "phone info" that you can use to toggle the radios. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=myc.phone.PhoneInfo&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsIm15Yy5waG9uZS5QaG9uZUluZm8iXQ..

snacknuts

we all knew her
i honestly haven't noticed a difference in battery life on 3g or LTE on Verizon.

That must be nice. I leave 4G turned off on my GNex almost all the time because it kills the battery. Fortunately I am on wifi almost all day M-F so it's not a big deal, but it still sucks.

Menelaus

Banned
That must be nice. I leave 4G turned off on my GNex almost all the time because it kills the battery. Fortunately I am on wifi almost all day M-F so it's not a big deal, but it still sucks.

The 4G radio in the GNex blows goats, I noticed that too. I think it was all the constant switching between 4G and 3G that does it in. I notice that the S3 will actually stay on 4G even if the bars are low.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
nightlies didn't fix my bluetooth streaming issue.

this is making me want to jump ship from CM10, gotta have my music man.

recommend me a ROM that has full blue tooth audio support that actually works.

Omzz

Upgraded to jelly bean and liking it so far.

One thing that is kind of annoying is that randomly when typing (don't know how else to explain this) there's an animation that happens with the letter you type flying over into the type box. Is there anyway to turn this off?

RuGalz

We're never getting Jelly Bean on Verizon. I know Samsung claimed it was going out to everyone by end of the year, but I'm sure that won't be Verizon. We'll be lucky if we get it by the year anniversary of the phone coming out.

I bet we get the update like 2 months before Vzw abandons GS3... I hope Samsung keeps updating and leaks roms. The leaked JB has been great.

Where would one send their emails to complain to Verizon about a lack of an update? Maybe if enough people emailed some one high enough up in the company it won't take 2 - 3 years for us to get it.

HildyB

nightlies didn't fix my bluetooth streaming issue.

this is making me want to jump ship from CM10, gotta have my music man.

recommend me a ROM that has full blue tooth audio support that actually works.

Honestly, I've only had good audio with TW based ROMs. NexusMod is my current ROM. When I use anything based on CM10 my audio takes a dump. My hope is now that all the S3 roms are out worldwide they will get to porting in bits to make it work.

Anyone else have a problem with their microsd card not being properly recognized after restart? Usually an unmount->mount will fix it but it's still kinda troubling...

sun-drop

pretty decent featureset upgrade in the lastet stock rom, international ver

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2030384&page=9

Taken from the xda thread:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1646610

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2030384

NEW Features:
1) Multi-view function is officially here! It can be disabled through settings.
2) Smart Rotation is also here! It can also be enabled/disabled through settings.
3) The Notification Panel is now customizable! It has a few new panels such as multi-window, S-beam, AllShare Cast, etc.
4) Page Buddy is here! Page Buddy creates context related pages on the home screen (an earphones page, docking page, roaming page).
5) In your Google Account, the "Location Settings" page gets a face lift!
6) Paper Artist is a new app.
7) Group Cast is also new to the Galaxy S3.
8) Best Face feature is new in Camera.
9) Low Light feature is also new in Camera.
10 Camera settings get new features such as "Contextual filename" and "auto share shot". A couple of things have moved around.
11) Gallery gets the Note 2 face lift! Looks, feels, and behaves fantastic! I have over 1,600 pictures on my phone and it is SMOOTH! I love the new look! You can create new albums and do a lot of stuff! Check it out!
12) Video player gets a brand new capture button that lets you take photos of your screen!
13) Video player also gets new "Add weather tag" and "Tag buddy" settings.
14) My Files gets a new home page that has shortcuts to "images", "videos", "music", and "documents". These shortcuts take you to the respective folders much faster! It's an extra step to access your stuff but who cares? Also, they just look darn cool!
15) My Files gets check-boxes next to folders by default. Makes selection much easier!!!! Excellent!
16) RAM available is 832MB

Positives:
1) Is the ROM smooth, you ask? You bet!
2) Gallery is fullscreen!!!
3) Other positives have been listed above!
4) GPS works fine. Locks within seconds. I haven't used it for longer periods, though!

Negatives:
1) The notification panel is slower to return to the left-most position. Actually, after a soft reset, it's fast again! Weird!
2) Widgets Drawer still lags.
3) The App Drawer takes a few milliseconds more to open (yeah, not a big deal to 99% of the users but I notice it)
4) Home-button to screen-wakeup is still tied to S-Voice!!!
5) Phone and Contacts still lag. They'll always lag!
6) Sorry if I'm mistaken but wasn't one-finger expandable notifications enabled with 4.1.2? I don't see it on this ROM.
7) A few lags here and there sometimes.

effzee

Anyone else having trouble connecting the phone to their pc/computer?

I wanted to transfer over some music I have saved on my computer but neither the wi-fi or usb connection is working.

It keeps trying to connect with the phone but doesn't connect. It worked fine a few days ago when I did it but now its as if it's not recognizing my phone.

I even uninstalled and re installed the Kies program. Same problem.

sun-drop

the multi window feature in the latest stock rom works GREAT.

too awesome.

now samsung just update my dam smart TV so i can use allshare cast with out a dongle :/

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
With that battery extender from Anker, I can go for two days and like 7-8 hours of screen time until I have to charge my phone again. I <3 <3 it.

snacknuts

we all knew her
Where would one send their emails to complain to Verizon about a lack of an update? Maybe if enough people emailed some one high enough up in the company it won't take 2 - 3 years for us to get it.

I've actually had good results sending stuff to the @VZWSupport Twitter account. By good results, I mean they acknowledge that I said something.

DietRob

Anyone?

Touchwiz is really bothering me.

Camera has been really disappointing.

I find that if you don't have a hand as steady as a statue pictures on the phone turn to shit. Quit shaking man.

Also root and go with something other than touchwiz, anything other than touchwiz.

clav

I find that if you don't have a hand as steady as a statue pictures on the phone turn to shit. Quit shaking man.

Also root and go with something other than touchwiz, anything other than touchwiz.

Suggestions? I want a AOSP ROM so I don't even have to bother with playing with other launchers.

As for shaking, I'm trying to take pictures with one hand (work related) while holding a grimy object, so it's hard to stabilize and hit the shutter button. Perhaps I'll try voice activated.

Camera has anti-shake disabled by default for some reason, try turning it on?

Yeah I noticed that. Activated. Doesn't that just only give a beep sound?

I started using the voice activation feature to take my pictures if I need a really steady hand lol

Well, certainly the WP8 Lumia 920 has a leg up on the competition on this.

RuGalz

No, the beep sound is notifying you the camera has object in the little box that it displays in focus. Make sure you are taking picture when it's in focus; I have made that mistake so many times. Anti-shake should compensate for your hand's shakiness when it takes picture. Also, depends on what about Touchwiz you don't like, you may not have to go as far as AOSP route. Personally I find AOSP is a bit too lacking in some convenience features. The launchers all generally have similar features so it's not really that hard to find one. I ended up sticking to Go mainly because I don't need to spend much time configuring it and I love its Calendar widget.

There anything similar to "find my iPhone"? I'm very forgetful and would like to track down my phone if it gets lost.

There are a few. I use SeekDroid personally.

Menelaus

Banned
welp, here we go. CWM backup is chugging along, today's CM10 nightly is bundled up tightly and awaiting the word. Backed up my IMEI two ways, so hopefully no showstoppers.

DietRob

Suggestions? I want a AOSP ROM so I don't even have to bother with playing with other launchers.

As for shaking, I'm trying to take pictures with one hand (work related) while holding a grimy object, so it's hard to stabilize and hit the shutter button. Perhaps I'll try voice activated.

Well, certainly the WP8 Lumia 920 has a leg up on the competition on this.

I'm partial to CM10

here is the page for Sprint GS3 roms.. http://get.cm/?device=d2spr

i'm unsure of your carrier.

Toki767

One thing I don't like about the stock Messaging app. The screen turns on anytime I receive a new text. Is there a way to turn that off other than using a different app?

FLEABttn

Banned
I cancelled my 1-6 week away order when Best Buy decided to sell this for $99 this week. This is the best phone I've ever owned, it's crazy.

alphaNoid

Banned
So I was going to be ordering a Lumia 920 on sunday, but I just found I have access to a free pebble blue S3 tomorrow instead. I'm currently on a HTC Rezound, my 3rd Android phone and I was looking forward to WP8 and something fresh.

However after tinkering with the S3, I have to say ... I'm damn impressed and excited to get that sexy lady in my palms. So, for now WP8 can wait and I'm going to park it on the S3 for a long while it seems like.. especially given the price.

Now all I need is a damn Ingress invite!
LLShC.gif

Kyoufu

One thing I don't like about the stock Messaging app. The screen turns on anytime I receive a new text. Is there a way to turn that off other than using a different app?

I turned that off but I can't remember where the setting is now. Either I'm blind or it's hidden. :s

Toki767

So I was going to be ordering a Lumia 920 on sunday, but I just found I have access to a free pebble blue S3 tomorrow instead. I'm currently on a HTC Rezound, my 3rd Android phone and I was looking forward to WP8 and something fresh.

However after tinkering with the S3, I have to say ... I'm damn impressed and excited to get that sexy lady in my palms. So, for now WP8 can wait and I'm going to park it on the S3 for a long while it seems like.. especially given the price.

Now all I need is a damn Ingress invite!
LLShC.gif

The Lumia reviews weren't so hot anyways. And from using Windows 8, the WP8 app ecosystem is even more barren than Android's compared to iOS.

alphaNoid

Banned
The Lumia reviews weren't so hot anyways. And from using Windows 8, the WP8 app ecosystem is even more barren than Android's compared to iOS.

True enough, I was just thinking of trying something new. However, I'll just let that ecosystem bake in another 6 months - year now that Windows 8 and WP8 are out in tandem. In the meantime, I like what I see from Samsung and the S3 so I'm excited to tomorrow.

Top Bottom