• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S III (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Not that I don't believe you but claims like these need to be accompanied by screen shots of the battery menu screen!
7bb24a55caaf5060212e8039126791ca916861ce.png

And it also has 2:40 hours of stock music player, 37 mins of Opera Mobile using wi-fi and almost 1:10 hours of Beat Hazard Ultra (great game btw).

EDIT: looks like I can't link images from the phone. Will edit when I get on my PC.
EDIT2: thanks a lot Zoe!

Menelaus

Banned
Got cm10 installed but the dock keeps reverting to being empty. Anyone seen this? Also the battery is draining like hotcakes. Went from 68 to 48% in about 40 minutes.

Zoe

FINALLY figured out how to get rid of the wake lock that's happening when I use Google Music. Gotta X out of it from the notifications screen.

7bb24a55caaf5060212e8039126791ca916861ce.png

And it also has 2:40 hours of stock music player, 37 mins of Opera Mobile using wi-fi and almost 1:10 hours of Beat Hazard Ultra (great game btw).

EDIT: looks like I can't link images from the phone. Will edit when I get on my PC.

You're just missing the http://

OG Kush

Why is there so much hate for Touchwiz? I got my phone a couple weeks ago and love it, don't really see anything wrong with Touchwiz.

Menelaus

Banned
Why is there so much hate for Touchwiz? I got my phone a couple weeks ago and love it, don't really see anything wrong with Touchwiz.

Because if you've ever used vanilla holo, you know how atrocious it looks. The messages app is the most egregious example.

Toki767

Because if you've ever used vanilla holo, you know how atrocious it looks. The messages app is the most egregious example.

Pretty much. My problem with Touchwiz is that they while I have no problems with the launcher trying to look like iOS, the menus, particularly the settings are just not as nice looking. They did make really nice additions like the quick settings bar in the notification bar though.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth

Much of it has to do with the ugliness at this point. The notification toggles, the messaging app, the default launcher is terrible (but easily fixed with a custom launcher), and the customizability of everything is still pretty poor.

But I agree with you, once you replace the messaging app, the launcher, and get used to the settings and notification toggles, Touchwiz is a fine Rom to use.

I haven't used a custom rom since I got my Note 2, after being a flash addict on my Vibrant and S3. I don't miss all the shit you have to deal with when using custom roms.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Anyone try the swift key flow beta? Only thing I'm not a fan of is swiping to the left won't delete my words and sometimes the predictions are wrong...

Toki767

Anyone try the swift key flow beta? Only thing I'm not a fan of is swiping to the left won't delete my words and sometimes the predictions are wrong...
Only thing that is bad is trying to swipe the word its and it's. Otherwise it seems just as good as the 4.2 keyboard.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth

I don't like it at all. It emphasized word prediction (obviously, since that is SwiftKey's gimmick) when for me, using a swipe based keyboard, word correction is far more important. With Swype, I have immediately a choice between 5 different alternate words for what I typed. With SwiftKey Flow, there is an option between 3 different words that I might want to come next. In order to get three options of different words, I first have to hit backspace.

It isn't how I want to use a swipe based keyboard. Swype is way better for my uses.

Menelaus

Banned
Can you point me to a resource for replacing the messaging app? If I could do that without a custom rom, that would super nice.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Same here. I think I'm just going to go back to regular Swift Key. It's just not doing anything for me.

I've got a question though. For some strange reason Google Now's weather notification doesn't appear on my notification bar anymore. How can I add it back?

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
How is the current state of CM10?

You guessed right.

It works absolutely great if you don't use bluetooth audio streaming if you do use bluetooth audio streaming you will be punching walls like me.

If you are new to flashing do yourself a favor and purchase Titanium Backup, make a back up and only download the STABLE version of CM10 so you don't have to flash nightlies.

clav

It works absolutely great if you don't use bluetooth audio streaming if you do use bluetooth audio streaming you will be punching walls like me.

If you are new to flashing do yourself a favor and purchase Titanium Backup, make a back up and only download the STABLE version of CM10 so you don't have to flash nightlies.

I heard there were wake from sleep locks (BSODs) and other weird things.

I'm familiar with flashing as my previous phone was Windows Mobile 6.5. Used to flash every other week. I also have flashed my friend's T-Mobile G1 multiple times. I think the flashing process will be somewhat similar.

For Android, do you have to delete everything when a custom ROM has an update?

The stock ROM is OK until you know what Google did originally with Android.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
I heard there were wake from sleep locks (BSODs) and other weird things.

For Android, do you have to delete everything when a custom ROM has an update?

Never experienced any BSOD's or anything similar to that.

With CM10 in the 'about phone' section there is an option to check for updates this will download directly to your phone and when it's done it will ask you if you want to install? You say yes, it installs and your done.

For me when I say yes and the phone tries to auto install it fails, I i then have to manually go to my internal sd card locate it in the folder it downloads to and flash it myself using clockwork mod.

I usually clear the cache and dalvik cache just....because. Both of which are options in clockworkmod.

Allforce

Can you point me to a resource for replacing the messaging app? If I could do that without a custom rom, that would super nice.

I've used HandCent since I started using Android 3+ years ago, it's never given me any issues and I like how customizable it is.

Toki767

I've used HandCent since I started using Android 3+ years ago, it's never given me any issues and I like how customizable it is.

I like HandCent, but I like the way the lockscreen notifies you about texts with the default messaging app. I just wish the default one was better or at least on par with the stock Android version.

It worked for me on Vzw leaked rom two days ago, too bad it is no longer free.

it's free if you don't use it often! what's $6.97 for something you use all the time?

or you could just root and use one of those root wifi apps that are free...

other people don't seem to mind paying for the convenience, it's in the top 20 paid apps.

So uh, anyone else know about the Samsun Galaxy Giveaway thing on facebook. Is it real?

is it on their official facebook page?

RuGalz

it's free if you don't use it often! what's $6.97 for something you use all the time?

or you could just root and use one of those root wifi apps that are free...

other people don't seem to mind paying for the convenience, it's in the top 20 paid apps.

I couldn't get the root wifi apps to work. Foxfi just works. I'd pay for it if I need it more often but I only need it like a couple days out of a year. Also these things aren't guarantee to work forever. (i.e. JB update broke a lot of people) I found another app called Easy Wifi Tethering that works right out of the box. It has some pretty intrusive ads but I'm okay with that for a couple days and then uninstall.

sun-drop

Much of it has to do with the ugliness at this point. The notification toggles, the messaging app, the default launcher is terrible (but easily fixed with a custom launcher), and the customizability of everything is still pretty poor.

But I agree with you, once you replace the messaging app, the launcher, and get used to the settings and notification toggles, Touchwiz is a fine Rom to use.

I haven't used a custom rom since I got my Note 2, after being a flash addict on my Vibrant and S3. I don't miss all the shit you have to deal with when using custom roms.

vanilla andriod imo still falls behind touchwhiz in usablity ..samsung's menu's and interfaces just work better, IMO.

i use nova for my launcher ..but yeh ... for me straightup android has always woefully been lacking in the menu and settings stakes.

ofcourse i embrace all the allshare stuff as well ..so get added benifit out of going stock.

Toki767

One thing I noticed. You have to turn off S Beam if you want to use Android Beam with a non-S3/Note 2 to send pictures or videos. I'm hopeful the next Android version just makes Android Beam use wifi direct like S Beam.

saunderez

not all phones are alike. i don't have that built in. (Sprint)

Have you got a Samsung account on your phone? If you do log into that website using the same credentials and see what it says. It's built into the Samsung software so I'd be very surprised if it wasn't on some models.

RuGalz

Preview of the premium suite upgrade.

http://www.androidcentral.com/samsung-demos-their-premium-suite-upgrade-headed-samsung-galaxy-s3

This is why Touchwiz > Stock boring Android

Facebook feed on lock screen is very WP8 but it looks like it goes much further with it.

They just need to add, Removal of S Voice and replaced with Google Now. That's one thing I absolutely hate about my GS3. Whatever Samsung did, even disabling S Voice and use Bluetooth Launcher to launch Google Now when BT button is pressed, Google Now would fail to initialize half the time.

clav

Seems like CM10 is buggy at the moment.

I'm willing to flash nightlies as I've done that with the HP TouchPad.

Anyone want to comment the status of the current build? I read something about the latest one doesn't handle 3G to LTE transitions very well.

zedge

They just need to add, Removal of S Voice and replaced with Google Now. That's one thing I absolutely hate about my GS3. Whatever Samsung did, even disabling S Voice and use Bluetooth Launcher to launch Google Now when BT button is pressed, Google Now would fail to initialize half the time.
Yea s voice is terrible. An option to disable it would be nice.

Bruiserk

So, Google Now has yet to output voice feedback. It'll show me the card UI, but nothing else. Any advice? I'm on Rogers in Canada if that makes any difference.

upandaway

I kinda like the Flow keyboard. For some reason I couldn't use Swype at all but I got the hang of it in Flow really quickly, and I can always just go back to swiftkey by.. using it like swiftkey. There's no real inconvenience with using this over the normal swiftkey that I can find, if you don't wanna swype it's like it's not even there.

itxaka

Defeatist
Seems like CM10 is buggy at the moment.

I'm willing to flash nightlies as I've done that with the HP TouchPad.

Anyone want to comment the status of the current build? I read something about the latest one doesn't handle 3G to LTE transitions very well.

I don't have LTE so I can't comment on that. For the rest, it's pretty stable. I got yesterday's build and It works perfectly.

As usual the tipical problems are still there.

FM radio not working
HDMI out not working
Wifi hotspot inconsistent (I got itworking no problems, some people have problems with it)

Can someone tell me how the hell I turn off the stupid CB# thing which appears under every text message I receive? It's driving me nuts, if I want to call the person I'm texting, I'll fucking call them. I don't need "CB#: 123457890" under every single text I receive from them!

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
You're just missing the http://
Thanks! I had this problem before when posting from the phone, and couldn't find out what it was, lol.

Pretty much. My problem with Touchwiz is that they while I have no problems with the launcher trying to look like iOS, the menus, particularly the settings are just not as nice looking. They did make really nice additions like the quick settings bar in the notification bar though.
That isn't the standard in stock Android? I don't know how someone can live without them, the wi-fi, silence and mobile data buttons are essential to me (even though my 3G connection is worse than shit).

That isn't the standard in stock Android? I don't know how someone can live without them, the wi-fi, silence and mobile data buttons are essential to me (even though my 3G connection is worse than shit).

Nope. TouchWiz had a notifications control panel in 2009 or so. Google didn't add something like that to the notifications pulldown until Android 4.2 this year. And it's not even the same thing, the 4.2 stock notifications shade requires TWO swipes to show the toggles, and they don't even really toggle anything, they just open the relevant menu in Settings.

TouchWiz is still pretty ugly but it really shits all over stock Android in terms of functionality. Hell, I've used CyanogenMod a lot on my Touchpad and TouchWiz shits all over CM too when it comes to useful added functions.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Nope. TouchWiz had a notifications control panel in 2009 or so. Google didn't add something like that to the notifications pulldown until Android 4.2 this year. And it's not even the same thing, the 4.2 stock notifications shade requires TWO swipes to show the toggles, and they don't even really toggle anything, they just open the relevant menu in Settings.

TouchWiz is still pretty ugly but it really shits all over stock Android in terms of functionality. Hell, I've used CyanogenMod a lot on my Touchpad and TouchWiz shits all over CM too when it comes to useful added functions.
It may be due to the S3 being my first Android phone, but I don't find the interface ugly in the slightest. It's miles better than my old Nokia 5800, and the only other Android phone I've tried (Sony Xperia X10 Mini). I don't get the hate for the messaging app, for example.

clav

I don't have LTE so I can't comment on that. For the rest, it's pretty stable. I got yesterday's build and It works perfectly.

As usual the tipical problems are still there.

FM radio not working
HDMI out not working
Wifi hotspot inconsistent (I got itworking no problems, some people have problems with it)

Hm. I'll hold off flashing custom for a while then.

Thanks.

Sometimes for Google Now, I have to say things twice, and I'm wondering if the bloatware is getting in the way.

http://www.androidcentral.com/samsung-demos-their-premium-suite-upgrade-headed-samsung-galaxy-s3

Facebook feed on lock screen is very WP8 but it looks like it goes much further with it.

What exactly is valuable from those features? I just see a bunch of added processes to zap your battery life more and could potentially turn into memory leaks and future force closes.

VoxPop

Meh, not inspiring at all. Only feature I see worthwhile is the multiwindow one. Lol @ "struggling to get in your facebook app". Clicking 1 icon is apparently considered struggling now. Doesn't help that Touchwiz is ugly as sin. I love how they somehow managed to hide all the UI lag in that video.

Stock Android will always be the way to go imo.

Ixian

I don't mind TouchWiz from a visual perspective, but I'm not a fan of a lot of the sound effects, such as the water drops when dialing a number.

I kinda like the Flow keyboard. For some reason I couldn't use Swype at all but I got the hang of it in Flow really quickly, and I can always just go back to swiftkey by.. using it like swiftkey. There's no real inconvenience with using this over the normal swiftkey that I can find, if you don't wanna swype it's like it's not even there.
I'm in this camp. Granted, I haven't tried Swype since I got my own Android phone and had previously only used it on my friend's phone, but Swiftkey Flow seems okay to me and like you said, I can just use it like regular Swiftkey if/when needed.

Cipherr

What exactly is valuable from those features? I just see a bunch of added processes to zap your battery life more and could potentially turn into memory leaks and future force closes.

That is the most ridiculous criticism ever. Do you know their effects on battery life? Do you know that it has memory leaks and force closures? Because if you don't you just made a crazy statement that could literally be used to poo poo any new software addition and or enhancement to mobile devices forever dude...

Menelaus

Banned
That is the most ridiculous criticism ever. Do you know their effects on battery life? Do you know that it has memory leaks and force closures? Because if you don't you just made a crazy statement that could literally be used to poo poo any new software addition and or enhancement to mobile devices forever dude...

Software or services that run in the background will use RAM and battery life. This isn't rocket science. By default the S3 comes with a whole slew of applications and services that run in the background that most people probably don't want or need. I think he raised a valid criticism, and I personally have disabled as many bloatware pieces that I could for the reasons he listed.

Top Bottom