• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S III (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

I don't mind TouchWiz from a visual perspective, but I'm not a fan of a lot of the sound effects, such as the water drops when dialing a number.

Yeah, I turned the sound effects off right away. Other than that, TouchWiz seems fine. I go back and forth between my S3 and my Nexus 7 and I don't feel like my phone is really lacking anything. The settings widget is really handy (on a phone at least, I would probably use it much less on a tablet).

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
I've used both stock Android and TouchWiz, and enjoy both. I just don't see the hate. They're both great IMO.

ScOULaris

I've used both stock Android and TouchWiz, and enjoy both. I just don't see the hate. They're both great IMO.

The main problem with Touchwiz isn't functionality; it's just plain ugly. The color choices on everything from the menus to the notification toggles are simply baffling, and it's just clear throughout that the designers have questionable taste at best.

That being said, I think the newest version of Touchwiz is probably the most feature-packed of all the manufacturer "skins."

Renoir

so this phone is aging in the tech world. is the price going down any time soon. trying to get one of contract on Verizon so iI don't lose my unlimited data plan.

clav

That is the most ridiculous criticism ever. Do you know their effects on battery life? Do you know that it has memory leaks and force closures? Because if you don't you just made a crazy statement that could literally be used to poo poo any new software addition and or enhancement to mobile devices forever dude...

If Google didn't write it (specifically system access settings), then I doubt optimization.

Renoir

did you meant OFF contract or OF contract ?
off contract. you see... Verizon can upgrade me yo a new phone. ie:gs3 iI can get the phone for 150 or less... BUT then iI have to pick one of they're donkey data plans. iI have unlimited. iI want to keep it.

Menelaus

Banned
We've been getting iPhone 5 and S3s around the office and they're letting us keep our unlimited data plans. I'd check again.

BIGWORM

If you guys root, you can get a more visually-appealing TW look:

CN9Up.png

Menelaus

Banned
The great thing about Android is that people with little to no aesthetic taste are able to shit up their UI to their hearts content!

i don't think his theme is THAT bad...

VoxPop

The great thing about Android is that people with little to no aesthetic taste are able to shit up their UI to their hearts content!

i don't think his theme is THAT bad...

Yeah a lot of people's layouts make me wanna gag.

I think the stock jelly bean notification bar is nice and clean on its own. Here's a nice little theme though.

I just hate the new slide down toggles found in 4.2.1

alphaNoid

Banned
Just got my S3, restored data and installed my apps. Long time Android user but is there anything immediate I should know about the S3? Apps? Features? or general setting advice?

Just got my S3, restored data and installed my apps. Long time Android user but is there anything immediate I should know about the S3? Apps? Features? or general setting advice?

Disable S Push

I installed Launcher8, customized it to be godly, and I do quite enjoy it a lot more than TouchWiz. It's like Windows Phone 8 but with widgets. I suggest everyone to check it out.

Vertical continuous screen >>>>>>Single screen with several app and widget folders>>>>>> Horizontal paged swiping

snacknuts

we all knew her
so this phone is aging in the tech world. is the price going down any time soon. trying to get one of contract on Verizon so iI don't lose my unlimited data plan.

Check Craigslist. I just bought one a couple days ago for $300 that was essentially brand new.

jombag

Disable S Push

I installed Launcher8, customized it to be godly, and I do quite enjoy it a lot more than TouchWiz. It's like Windows Phone 8 but with widgets. I suggest everyone to check it out.

Vertical continuous screen >>>>>>Single screen with several app and widget folders>>>>>> Horizontal paged swiping

First time Android user here..Is launcher8 safe? I looked at it and it was asking for a shitload of permissions.

Yeah a lot of people's layouts make me wanna gag.

I think the stock jelly bean notification bar is nice and clean on its own. Here's a nice little theme though.

I just hate the new slide down toggles found in 4.2.1

Ooh, this looks slick. I take it the themed portion are the toggles on top, and not the way the notifications are displayed? I'm still on ICS (damn AT&T), so my notification bar looks lame in comparison.

Speaking of which, should I give up hope of Jellybean ever coming out on this network? What is taking so long? On a slightly different note, can Samsung not send out their own updates like Apple?

BIGWORM

Ooh, this looks slick. I take it the themed portion are the toggles on top, and not the way the notifications are displayed? I'm still on ICS (damn AT&T), so my notification bar looks lame in comparison.

Speaking of which, should I give up hope of Jellybean ever coming out on this network? What is taking so long? On a slightly different note, can Samsung not send out their own updates like Apple?

It's mainly the carriers putting their shitty bloatware on the phones. Att may have received the update weeks/months ago...

zedge

Have you tried kies? I thought the update was out for att but only on kies.

Have you tried kies? I thought the update was out for att but only on kies.

Yeah, last I heard every network has it available but Verizon who is holding it probably for bloatware bullshit. AT&T has the update available through Kies.

Really? There's so much I don't know about this phone still. I assumed that the update would be pushed through the network.

How do I go about updating through Kies? I'll start the app and log onto the site with a browser, but I can't find out how to update the phone's firmware.

zedge

Really? There's so much I don't know about this phone still. I assumed that the update would be pushed through the network.

How do I go about updating through Kies? I'll start the app and log onto the site with a browser, but I can't find out how to update the phone's firmware.
you have to download the kies program. Its kinda like iTunes. Kies air won't do this.

Cipherr

Honestly, noone that I have seen has ANY idea why AT&T isn't pushing this update over the air. It makes no sense not to, and it leaves people wondering where the fuck their update is.

Its really freaking stupid. I have no idea why they are doing this.

Toki767

I flashed the latest nightly, so we'll see.

I'm coming from Windows Mobile 6, an OS that wifi and bluetooth never worked, so I've seen very bad ROM releases before and learned to deal with them.

For me, the only reason I installed CM10, well, Paranoid Android, on my S3 was because I wanted Jelly Bean and the S3 was only on ICS. Now that the S3 has Jelly Bean, I don't see the need to flash a rom anymore other than to change the look of the phone.

squicken

So are there no lock screen audio controls? Seems like I have to unlock, then pull down the notification screen, and only then do I have access to pause/play

Top Bottom