• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S III (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

BIGWORM

So are there no lock screen audio controls? Seems like I have to unlock, then pull down the notification screen, and only then do I have access to pause/play

You can control volume while screen off, but outside of that, on stock, I think you're limited to that.

squicken

That's a big deal for me. Enough to go custom, really. I've looked at the cM10 a little bit but the non-responsive wake is a little annoying. I really just want a de-bloated ROM that has lock screen audio controls

BIGWORM

That's a big deal for me. Enough to go custom, really. I've looked at the cM10 a little bit but the non-responsive wake is a little annoying. I really just want a de-bloated ROM that has lock screen audio controls

Sounds like AOSP is in your near future. CM10 has lock screen controls if you use the default play Apollo.

Menelaus

Banned
CM10 sucks donkey dong on Verizon at the moment. Too many showstoppers and awful battery life. Plus my phone has never felt more like it was going to spontaneously catch on fire.

zedge

So are there no lock screen audio controls? Seems like I have to unlock, then pull down the notification screen, and only then do I have access to pause/play
you can pull down the notification without unlocking, or is that what you mean?

I was looking around for the past little while at plans from places and kind of unexpectedly, purchased the S3 today on Virgin Mobile in Canada, who had a great plan for it ($56 for unlimited calls/text/long distance, 2GB data, and CD and VM). This is an upgrade from a Palm Pre, so I'm very excited! I'll have to eat contract cancellation fees with my previous carrier, but I feel it's worth it. Already have a 32GB Micro-SD card, so looking forward to having all of my music (in MP3 form anyway) with me at all times. Now just going to see if I can find some crazy method of making my Pre Touchstone chargers work with this, or the S3 wireless charger be on my Christmas list.

So I just got this phone. It's my first smart phone ever.

Are there some things I should do right off the bat to enhance my experience? It looks like there's a lot of bloatware that needs deleting, but other than that?

skasaha

Neo Member
how is the multitasking for you guys? i was pissed because i decided to call someone halfway through my browsing session on opera mobile and after finishing my call i realised opera didn't stay in memory so it did an iOS style reloading of all my pages. so i apparently can't multitask with 833MB of RAM? :X

my dad's note 10.1 with i think similar internals (but 2GB RAM instead) runs like a dream. sigh.

Toki767

how is the multitasking for you guys? i was pissed because i decided to call someone halfway through my browsing session on opera mobile and after finishing my call i realised opera didn't stay in memory so it did an iOS style reloading of all my pages. so i apparently can't multitask with 833MB of RAM? :X

my dad's note 10.1 with i think similar internals (but 2GB RAM instead) runs like a dream. sigh.
Are you on the international version? The US one is a multitasking machine with 2GB of RAM as well.

alphaNoid

Banned
Anyone got Ingress? Just got my invite an started.

I've been waiting for an invite since the day they went public.. still nothing :/ All my friends and coworkers are in and playing I'm stuck doing nothing. I will say this though, every one I know playing Ingress drains their battery in like 4 hours.. dead.

Apparently its pretty bad like that.

I've been waiting for an invite since the day they went public.. still nothing :/ All my friends and coworkers are in and playing I'm stuck doing nothing. I will say this though, every one I know playing Ingress drains their battery in like 4 hours.. dead.

Apparently its pretty bad like that.

Ingress is a battery murderer because it keeps the screen and GPS on all the time. Imagine using Google Navigate for 4 straight hours. Yeah. It's like that.

Posted? Premium Suite Upgrade for Galaxy SIII.

Part 1.

Part 2.

Some really cool stuff, IMO.

part 1 was posted, part 2 is new.

DAT 2GB of RAM is really surprising to me too... opening an app i opened yesterday and it's still in the same scrolled to position 3/4 of the way down... i was like "damn!"

Can someone recommend a case? I don't want anything that adds too much bulk, but I don't want it to be useless either.

That's funny, I was just posting about this case in the GNII thread when you posted this. My friend has a lime-green version of this case on her GSIII, it looks pretty fab on her white phone.

That sounds like a problem with Opera Mobile. The Android browser, Chrome, and Firefox both stay resident in memory and even if they are kicked out they won't reload all your pages.

Spinluck

Loving this phone, but lol at the battery life.

Can anyone recommend some good cases that don't add much bulk. I really like the phone without a cases. But after almost dropping it from the table on break, I realized a case is needed. -_____-

And are screen protectors entirely necessary?

Ehh, I might get some anyways.

squicken

Loving this phone, but lol at the battery life.

Can anyone recommend some good cases that don't add much bulk. I really like the phone without a cases. But after almost dropping it from the table on break, I realized a case is needed. -_____-

And are screen protectors entirely necessary?

Ehh, I might get some anyways.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0089F2ILM/?tag=neogaf0e-20

That's what I have. Amazon also sells a dock with a spare battery/charger, but you can't use it with a case

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0089VO7QU/?tag=neogaf0e-20

skasaha

Neo Member
Are you on the international version? The US one is a multitasking machine with 2GB of RAM as well.
Ohhh...yeah, I have the international S3. Wish I had 2GB of RAM, sigh.

DAT 2GB of RAM is really surprising to me too... opening an app i opened yesterday and it's still in the same scrolled to position 3/4 of the way down... i was like "damn!"
I'm so envious, seriously.

That sounds like a problem with Opera Mobile. The Android browser, Chrome, and Firefox both stay resident in memory and even if they are kicked out they won't reload all your pages.
It's probably a problem with Opera's coding, but this happens to me in every app. i.e. open Whatsapp, switch to Messaging app, open a web browser and suddenly when i switch back to Whatsapp or Messaging it has to load again. Granted these apps are programmed properly so they resume state fine but the lag is kinda making me meh a little. I mean at any moment I have like 700+MB used out of 833MB free RAM. I know the experts say "let Android handle it's own RAM" but this level of nearly non-existent (iOS/WP8 style, if you will) multitasking is so sad. :(

Omzz

Wow. So my S3 just won't charge it all. Looked up online and seems like I'm not the only one.

Wasn't having any problems at all before upgrading to Jelly Bean. I plug in the phone to the AC adapter and it just doesn't charge at all. Should I consider downgrading? Is it a problem with the phone or the adapter itself. Some advice could be helpful

BIGWORM

Wow. So my S3 just won't charge it all. Looked up online and seems like I'm not the only one.

Wasn't having any problems at all before upgrading to Jelly Bean. I plug in the phone to the AC adapter and it just doesn't charge at all. Should I consider downgrading? Is it a problem with the phone or the adapter itself. Some advice could be helpful

Try a different wall charger/data cable? Is that charging problem with OEM cable?

Talon

I've had this problem with mini-USB chargers just randomly crapping out on me before. Try another cord.

I remember having a HTC device that would only charge via USB randomly.

kitch9

Banned
I've been battling with BT voice dialing not working properly for over a month now and I have just found this bug in Android database. If it affects you, I urge you to star the issue so it will become higher priority.

https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=35737
BT on Samsung phones is and always has been a clusterfuck....

Random disconnects, garbled noise and phone hard locks are standard order of the day. I spend more time fucking with the phone when connected to my hands free in the car than if I didn't have one...

My S2 was exactly the same, none of any other phones I've used have done the same.

RuGalz

Random disconnects, garbled noise and phone hard locks are standard order of the day. I spend more time fucking with the phone when connected to my hands free in the car than if I didn't have one...

My S2 was exactly the same, none of any other phones I've used have done the same.

My previous phone was droid 2 and it had hard lock and lose connection issues. GS3 thus far has been really solid for me except for this particular problem.

Omzz

Try a different wall charger/data cable? Is that charging problem with OEM cable?

I've had this problem with mini-USB chargers just randomly crapping out on me before. Try another cord.

I remember having a HTC device that would only charge via USB randomly.

Will probably try a different cord, cause I do remember this same problem happening to a friend. Once he tried a new cord it started charging properly. Really odd though, just got the phone this past summer :S. Ah well thanks!

crazy how CM has better BT on Samsung devices than stock TouchWiz... hrm, i wonder if Wii/PS3 controllers work with BT on the GS3 or Note2...

kaskade

Anyone have problems sending MMS on CM10? It seems to be very finicky, but I'm not sure if it's just the data connection at my house. Sometimes I'm not sure if it's an issue with the rom or just a weird android issue.

I've been looking at the S3 for my first smartphone. Just by going at the specs it doesn't look all that different from the iPhone 5. What exactly are the major differences between the two?

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I've been looking at the S3 for my first smartphone. Just by going at the specs it doesn't look all that different from the iPhone 5. What exactly are the major differences between the two?

Size and operating system. Comparing specs across ios and android is fruitless.

Toki767

Size and operating system. Comparing specs across ios and android is fruitless.

There's also expandability (microSD slot) and removeable battery for the S3. The iOS app ecosystem is better for games if you like playing games on your phone though.

Talon

This is what I tell people in real life asking for phone advice:
Are you tied to the Google ecosystem (Gmail, Gcal, docs, etc.)? Go with Android.
Do a majority of your friends/family use iPhones? Go with an iPhone.

Talon

Groovy. Thanks, guys!

My family is split. Brother and sister have iPhones. My mom has an android. I'm not sure what dad's using.
There are certain sharing features that are niceties on the iPhone - sharing location, calendar details, reminders, iMessage, app compatibility, etc. They seem minor, but they're pretty damn useful with, say, a significant other.

Sure there are third party alternatives, but I've found that inertia is a pretty strong force when it comes to family members.

I don't think I'd be sharing much with my family. The most I share is the occasional photo perhaps. Right now I'm more interested in S3s larger screen and interface. I find Apple's OS pretty boring though I haven't played around with it too much yet. I'll see if I can play with one of my sibling's phones over Christmas.

Top Bottom