• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S III (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

Talon

I don't think I'd be sharing much with my family. The most I share is the occasional photo perhaps. Right now I'm more interested in S3s larger screen and interface. I find Apple's OS pretty boring though I haven't played around with it too much yet. I'll see if I can play with one of my sibling's phones over Christmas.
If you like to tinker with gadgets/software, jump in with Android.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
I don't think I'd be sharing much with my family. The most I share is the occasional photo perhaps. Right now I'm more interested in S3s larger screen and interface. I find Apple's OS pretty boring though I haven't played around with it too much yet. I'll see if I can play with one of my sibling's phones over Christmas.

Yeah, I'm getting an iPhone 5 for Christmas, but I still kind of want an S3. The OS is just so sterile in iOS, home screen is pretty boring. Still, I'm somewhat invested in the ecosystem and there are things that I like about the iPhone better.

Toki767

My carrier just got around to getting the S3. They're selling it for $550 outright. Is this or the Nexus 4 a better buy?

Does your carrier have LTE and is LTE important to you? Do you want the option of more than 16GB of memory? Do you want the option of a removable battery?

If yes to all of those, get this. If no, get the Nexus 4 since it's cheaper by at least $200.

Yeah, I'm getting an iPhone 5 for Christmas, but I still kind of want an S3. The OS is just so sterile in iOS, home screen is pretty boring. Still, I'm somewhat invested in the ecosystem and there are things that I like about the iPhone better.

One thing I notice about iPhones and iPads that I kind of wish Androids have is how very little the battery drains when the screen is off. Your phone could be in sleep for hours and you'd only lose like 1% of battery. Not sure if it's because Android has so much stuff running in the background or anything but that always impressed me about iOS in general.

I just realized the premium suite is going to be an update like Jelly Bean was. Guess we'll be getting it in June.

Think about how long we'll be waiting just to get up to 4.2.1 lol

methodman

Banned
What is a good podcast program and how do they even work? I listen to a ton of sports podcasts through a stream, using Internet browser or chrome and hitting play, but I can't change my screen or else the audio shuts off. What can I do?

snacknuts

we all knew her
Can anyone recommend a good rapid wall charger for this phone? I borrowed the charger from my old GNex yesterday and it went from 0 to 50% in about four hours. Something about double that rate would be ideal.

So who uses a non-default messaging app? I've been using the default one and it was fine enough, but I learned today that it is complete balls at group messaging. I've been messing with Go SMS Pro, and it's pretty good, but I'm curious as to what other options there are.

Toki767

So who uses a non-default messaging app? I've been using the default one and it was fine enough, but I learned today that it is complete balls at group messaging. I've been messing with Go SMS Pro, and it's pretty good, but I'm curious as to what other options there are.

Handcent is the only other one.

I'm staying with the default one only because of the lockscreen shortcut when you have a text. If they added a quick reply button in the notification for Handcent like the stock CM10 Messaging app, I'd probably use that.

this_guy

I'm using Handcent. Used GoSMS for a while, but it's annoying for group messaging. On group messages I get 2 notifications from GoSMS, first as it come in as an sms, then 2 seconds later as it gets converted to mms (for group messaging).

mantidor

I hate whatsapp because it forces me to sync contacts, I don't want to add telephone numbers of people from other countries, telephone numbers I'm never going to use otherwise. Besides I'm on a circle of people that changes telephone numbers constantly, the way they handle users just sure sucks.

thetechkid

So should I wait out the month and see if Verizon stops being Verizon and releases the update or should I just try out Cyanogenmod on the S3?

AndyD

aka andydumi
I remember Vz said they are moving away from the Vzw apps and store in January and there would be an update to remove those. I imagine the JB update is the one to do it. As it seems ready to go anyway.

Can anyone help me out please? For the past few days, every time I plug in my usb from phone to computer, it doesn't show my phone in My Computer. Sometimes I have to just sit for like 30 mins and keep unplugging and plugging hoping it'd show up and Samsung Kies is completely useless because it never opens for me and says Fatal Error.

RuGalz

So if not CM10 then what for vzw gs3?

Get one of the modded TouchWiz based rom (i.e. with annoying stuff removed, and additional toggles added, etc) and use a launcher like Go, Nova, Apex. Currently I'm just rolling with the latest leak (#4) plus Go launcher, because I was tired of beta testing the other roms as they were trying to keep up with official leaks.

Can anyone help me out please? For the past few days, every time I plug in my usb from phone to computer, it doesn't show my phone in My Computer. Sometimes I have to just sit for like 30 mins and keep unplugging and plugging hoping it'd show up and Samsung Kies is completely useless because it never opens for me and says Fatal Error.

Did you disabled All Share service by any chance? That will prevent computer from recognizing the phone altogether.

jombag

Do you have your phone set up with security pin or password? On mine, I would neeed to unlock my phone first before my computer recognizes it.

Did you disabled All Share service by any chance? That will prevent computer from recognizing the phone altogether.
Where is this all share service? Is it on my phone? Sorry, just got the phone not too long ago so I don't know all about the settings and such
Do you have your phone set up with security pin or password? On mine, I would neeed to unlock my phone first before my computer recognizes it.
nah, I didn't.

Edit: You are talking about All Share play? I've never used it before

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
I used CM with my Incredible and loved it, I've heard that CM has had trouble with 3G/LTE or something.

If you are on Sprint no LTE in the build. I don't live in a Sprint LTE area so it doesn't affect me 3g does work fine though. I understand how that could be a deal breaker for someone who does live in a LTE zone.

RuGalz

Where is this all share service? Is it on my phone? Sorry, just got the phone not too long ago so I don't know all about the settings and such

Edit: You are talking about All Share play? I've never used it before

Are you saying the computer does not recognize the phone is plugged in at all or are you saying that it fails to install driver?

AllShare Service should show up if you go to settings->application manager and go to the "all" tab. But if you never touched it before then it's probably fine. Maybe reboot your phone just to be sure. Other thing you could try is enable USB Debug in Settings->Developer Options. See if that helps.

If you see the phone come up with a notification when you connect to the computer, bring up the notification and select it. I think there's check box for "media device" and "camera" modes. Try different modes see if your computer recognize it.

Allforce

I'm getting beast-mode battery life on this thing with just the stock battery, I'm deathly afraid of any update coming from Verizon now since I hear so many people saying JB killed their battery life.

Taken 2 minutes ago:

Screenshot_2012-12-12-00-08-44.png

RuGalz

I'm getting beast-mode battery life on this thing with just the stock battery, I'm deathly afraid of any update coming from Verizon now since I hear so many people saying JB killed their battery life.

Taken 2 minutes ago:

I've been on the leaked JB roms for a month or so now. I don't notice that much worse battery drain; the additional drain is probably from Google Now which you could just not opt in if you don't want to.

saunderez

I've been on the leaked JB roms for a month or so now. I don't notice that much worse battery drain; the additional drain is probably from Google Now which you could just not opt in if you don't want to.

That and location tracking in Google Maps. If you don't use location tracking disable it and your battery life will increase dramatically (at least it did for me).

clav

If you are on Sprint no LTE in the build. I don't live in a Sprint LTE area so it doesn't affect me 3g does work fine though. I understand how that could be a deal breaker for someone who does live in a LTE zone.

Wrong. LTE works on the Sprint (nightly) builds.

Yesterday's YouTube update took a second to download.

After finally getting fed up with my stupid shitty iPhone 4 (which has been replaced 3 times, all of those times due to a faulty home button, which my current one is suffering from big-style) I've just now purchased a Galaxy SIII.

Got a fairly good deal on it as well:

Handset free
2000 minutes
Unlimited Texts
Unlimited Data
Tethering allowed (also unlimited)
£28/month

So... I'm new to this, but any recommendations on what to do with the phone when it gets here to unleash its full potential? I'm all molly-coddled by iOS so I'm a bit scared about having a phone that I can actually do loads of stuff with...

mantidor

Taken 2 minutes ago:

How on earth do you get those numbers? Even before jb I got one day tops, with regular use. Based on your status bar you use it way more than I.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Wrong. LTE works on the Sprint (nightly) builds.

Yesterday's YouTube update took a second to download.

I've been flashing the nightlies but have never seen LTE speeds or an indicator of it on my phone. Perhaps it's because as I stated I don't live in a strong LTE area.

After finally getting fed up with my stupid shitty iPhone 4 (which has been replaced 3 times, all of those times due to a faulty home button, which my current one is suffering from big-style) I've just now purchased a Galaxy SIII.

Got a fairly good deal on it as well:

Handset free
2000 minutes
Unlimited Texts
Unlimited Data
Tethering allowed (also unlimited)
£28/month

So... I'm new to this, but any recommendations on what to do with the phone when it gets here to unleash its full potential? I'm all molly-coddled by iOS so I'm a bit scared about having a phone that I can actually do loads of stuff with...
start out by doing everything you used to do, but try to do some of them faster via widgets.

SetCPU and CM10 on my ATT S3 are an amazing combination. My battery life has finally even ed out and it's nice to not see it drain like crazy all the time. I've been running CM10 since July and I just finally fully set up SetCPU now and it is the best battery saving app I've ever bought essentially.

Top Bottom