• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S III (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

clav

SetCPU and CM10 on my ATT S3 are an amazing combination. My battery life has finally even ed out and it's nice to not see it drain like crazy all the time. I've been running CM10 since July and I just finally fully set up SetCPU now and it is the best battery saving app I've ever bought essentially.

What are your SetCPU settings?

Allforce

How on earth do you get those numbers? Even before jb I got one day tops, with regular use. Based on your status bar you use it way more than I.

I honestly don't know, but I've been impressed as hell with this thing since I bought it. It was a toss up between this and the Razr Maxx HD because I wanted good battery life and bought the GS3 because I knew i could swap in a bigger battery later if I wasn't satisifed. No need it seems.

I can tell you some of my settings if you want and a general idea of how I use it -

-I'm on Verizon
-Hardly any 4G use, on WiFi 99% of the time
-Power saving mode is always active
-All GPS is off (even Google Location Services)
-I use Apex Launcher (no idea if this means anything)
-I text throughout the day and make 2-3 phone calls a day (maybe 20 minutes talk time)
-No big gaming apps being used except Scramble With Friends
-Facebook/Twitter gets checked 2-3 times a day apiece
-Take at least 5-10 photos a day (have a baby boy)
-Play downloaded podcasts in the car a lot (1-2 hours a day)

Just glancing at it now I'm at 88% and have been off the charger for almost 8 hours (I plugged it in last night after my post and took it off this morning).

Do I has magic phone?

Talon

Best Buy's selling this device for $50 this weekend on Verizon, AT&T and Sprint this weekend if y'all are interested.

Their Reward Zone promotion with $100 in credits 45 days after the sale might apply to this - not 100% clear atm.

Best Buy's selling this device for $50 this weekend on Verizon, AT&T and Sprint this weekend if y'all are interested.

Their Reward Zone promotion with $100 in credits 45 days after the sale might apply to this - not 100% clear atm.

Oh, goodie. Thanks, Talon. Is it Sat/Sun or does it start today?

Vesmir

Banned
I'm eligible for an upgrade with Sprint, and am looking at this phone. I'm guessing I should wait for the Best Buy deal, although I do not have a store within 200 miles. Wondering what I should do...

How much data do you guys use a month? I'm looking at AT&Ts data plans and they go up to 20gb for $200 for a shared plan which is what I have. I don't want to spend unnecessarily but I also dont want to get slammed with fees for going over data limit.

Toki767

How much data do you guys use a month? I'm looking at AT&Ts data plans and they go up to 20gb for $200 for a shared plan which is what I have. I don't want to spend unnecessarily but I also dont want to get slammed with fees for going over data limit.

I never go over 2GB a month myself, but I'm around wifi at home and work.

Talon

Between .5 to 3 Gigs, depends on how much I'm traveling.

I went over 2 gig 5 or 6 times in about 18 months when I had that plan and that was tethering a laptop for about 15 hours/week, not a lot of streaming though. I just got the 3 gig plan, think I'll be fine, never went over 2.5 gigs when I went over.

MooMoo

About 1.5-2GB/month. I stream music from Google Play Music for an hour, five days a week. I also use the browser for 2 hours or so during the weekdays.

Once you start doing stuff like heavy Youtube usage then your data usage will spike a bit. If you're only looking at browsing the internet then you're probably looking at 1GB/month tops.

hey guys? remember months ago when i said the JB update would drop 2-3 weeks after the Galaxy Note II released? yeah, tomorrow = 2 weeks.

I'm eligible for an upgrade with Sprint, and am looking at this phone. I'm guessing I should wait for the Best Buy deal, although I do not have a store within 200 miles. Wondering what I should do...

i hear gas prices are pretty low now.

Are you saying the computer does not recognize the phone is plugged in at all or are you saying that it fails to install driver?

AllShare Service should show up if you go to settings->application manager and go to the "all" tab. But if you never touched it before then it's probably fine. Maybe reboot your phone just to be sure. Other thing you could try is enable USB Debug in Settings->Developer Options. See if that helps.

If you see the phone come up with a notification when you connect to the computer, bring up the notification and select it. I think there's check box for "media device" and "camera" modes. Try different modes see if your computer recognize it.

Okay, I tried all this and none of it worked, except when I changed the mode to Camera PTP then it worked. Sorry for replying late, fell asleep lol .

Edit: I think I might have fixed it.

squicken

Is this the case you use Squick?

sorry for the late reply. yeah I use that case. it adds some bulk and weight but it's good for protecting the screen, and I'm not the biggest fan of the platic back to the phone so the rubber back is preferable to me

As far as the battery/dock, AT&T actually had it for $30 on their website. This phone just chews through the battery relative to my iPhone 4, so it's nice to be able to switch them when needed

Spinluck

How come my girlfriend can hear almost everything I do in call? Is there a way to turn this off? Every time I text she hears something and it hurts her ears, or anytime I stroll by Twitter or something she hears something. Even checking the scores to a game she hears it. Is it the haptic feedback? Cause I kinda like it. -____-

EDIT: ^^^Thanks, I'm probably gonna order it.

Hope it looks nice too.

Just glancing at it now I'm at 88% and have been off the charger for almost 8 hours (I plugged it in last night after my post and took it off this morning).

Do I has magic phone?

I've noticed my battery has been lasting a lot longer than it did when I first got the phone. I think JuiceDefender has made a big difference for me (I work in a basement so I think the phone wastes a lot of time/power trying to connect to 3G), and I'm using Lux to lower the auto screen brightness. Those two + doing most of my big downloads on WiFi have made a noticeable difference.

BiggNife

Is that literally the update we get? Just some enhancements for a keyboard (that I don't even use), photo filters, and a new "easy mode"?

Why do people get excited over this stuff again?

The main differences between ICS and JB are a significant performance increase and Google Now. I know people with JB phones say that GNow is amazing and they swear by it.

An-Det

About fucking time.

I used about 4.5 gb's last month (I really dont know how), but I'm usually around 1-2 gb's, and I stream music at work every day (though it caches common stuff). While it's better to have a bit extra than risk going over, I can't imagine you'd need 20 gb's unless the shared plan is for 4-5+ really heavy data users.

RuGalz

-I'm on Verizon
-Hardly any 4G use, on WiFi 99% of the time
-Power saving mode is always active
-All GPS is off (even Google Location Services)
-I use Apex Launcher (no idea if this means anything)
-I text throughout the day and make 2-3 phone calls a day (maybe 20 minutes talk time)
-No big gaming apps being used except Scramble With Friends
-Facebook/Twitter gets checked 2-3 times a day apiece
-Take at least 5-10 photos a day (have a baby boy)
-Play downloaded podcasts in the car a lot (1-2 hours a day)

Do I has magic phone?

Those two things saves a ton of battery...

BiggNife

I do a lot of browsing and twitter/facebook on my phone and I never get anywhere close to my 2GB data limit each month. Unless you plan to do a ton of Pandora listening and Youtube/Netflix watching on 3G or 4G, I can't really imagine needing more than 5 gigs a month.

explodet

jbcksrAQNna6TO.png

It would have been better if the Nexus 4 thread was adjacent, but whatever.
Anyway, my old-ass 2.2 phone is giving up the ghost, so time to start comparing!

I do a lot of browsing and twitter/facebook on my phone and I never get anywhere close to my 2GB data limit each month. Unless you plan to do a ton of Pandora listening and Youtube/Netflix watching on 3G or 4G, I can't really imagine needing more than 5 gigs a month.

i did my Titanium Backup cloud backup over cellular ... LIKE A BOSS!!

1GB? No Problem!

Allforce

Umm Is this a serious post?

Yes, completely. I've read people salivating over the next Android update since Honeycomb and I've literally never noticed anything substantial in these updates. I got a change to a black notification bar a few years ago from one, that was actually nice since it fit my theme better than the white one.

I don't use the stock launcher, I don't use a lock screen ever, I guess these updates aren't for me. I'm looking into Google Now and while it looks neat, I already have updates for all that shit that they're talking about (appointments, sports, news, weather).

I mean get excited by all means but I don't see what the hype is about anymore.

zedge

Yes, completely. I've read people salivating over the next Android update since Honeycomb and I've literally never noticed anything substantial in these updates. I got a change to a black notification bar a few years ago from one, that was actually nice since it fit my theme better than the white one.

I don't use the stock launcher, I don't use a lock screen ever, I guess these updates aren't for me. I'm looking into Google Now and while it looks neat, I already have updates for all that shit that they're talking about (appointments, sports, news, weather).

I mean get excited by all means but I don't see what the hype is about anymore.
Many of the changes are under the hood so you may not see them. The jelly bean update is pretty significant in that regard.
Although visually the notification center and google now and voice search are pretty big also.

Got my S3 yesterday, loving it so far.

OS seems a bit slow (4.1.1) and it's a bit annoying the delay when you push the home button, I'm wondering if this cyanogenmod thing improves that? Is there an easy way/guide to go about getting that all on your phone? The official website pretty much says to go look elsewhere for rooting your phone before doing anything regarding installing it.

Another thing that annoys me is the annoying S Talk thing. I've tried searching for a way to turn it off/shorten the length of time needed to push the button and get into the running programs menu, but no luck!

Also is there any recommendations about helping with the ram usage?

I'm sitting here, zero applications running, only things on my phones home screen are a few icons and two widgets, yet its sitting at 603/833MB used... That seems extremely odd to me

EDIT: One last thing... Instead of using that awful double-tap on the top of the device to return to the top of the page (whoever thought of that was a fucking idiot), is there any way that I can just do the logical thing and tap the status bar to return to the top? Makes browsing GAF on the phone more of a pain in the arse than it should be.

Swag

OS seems a bit slow (4.1.1) and it's a bit annoying the delay when you push the home button, I'm wondering if this cyanogenmod thing improves that?
Disable Home button to activate S Voice, will fix the delay, I think it's in the S Voice settings.
Is there an easy way/guide to go about getting that all on your phone? The official website pretty much says to go look elsewhere for rooting your phone before doing anything regarding installing it.
Step by Step instructions to rooting

Instructions for installing Cyanogenmod are in the First Post of this thread.
I've had issues with the RAM usage since day 1 on the phone, seems to be just an issue with the way Touchwiz handles things, regardless of how many times I force stop services they always return, don't really have the issue as much on CM10.
EDIT: One last thing... Instead of using that awful double-tap on the top of the device to return to the top of the page (whoever thought of that was a fucking idiot), is there any way that I can just do the logical thing and tap the status bar to return to the top? Makes browsing GAF on the phone more of a pain in the arse than it should be.
Don't think there is functionality for this out of the box, maybe an app that gives the option, but outside of the Contacts / E-mail iirc, the double tap to return to top motion doesn't work.

OS seems a bit slow (4.1.1) and it's a bit annoying the delay when you push the home button, I'm wondering if this cyanogenmod thing improves that? Is there an easy way/guide to go about getting that all on your phone? The official website pretty much says to go look elsewhere for rooting your phone before doing anything regarding installing it.

Another thing that annoys me is the annoying S Talk thing. I've tried searching for a way to turn it off/shorten the length of time needed to push the button and get into the running programs menu, but no luck!

I'm sitting here, zero applications running, only things on my phones home screen are a few icons and two widgets, yet its sitting at 603/833MB used... That seems extremely odd to me

S Voice you can disable under the Application settings, but it's not that making the slight home screen lag. Thats just the launcher being a bit shit.

As for rooting, CF-Root does that Here

Easiest way to do it, as far as I know, is via Odin. that page should have the links.

I didn't think the double tap to top actually worked on browsers? But mobile gaf has little arrows that can take you to bottom/top.

Ah, you're still loving it despite those problems? I was all ready to dump my iPhone 4S for the S3. But reading about these certain issues is making me rethink it. Ram issues, slowish OS, battery life.

Ah, you're still loving it despite those problems? I was all ready to dump my iPhone 4S for the S3. But reading about these certain issues is making me rethink it. Ram issues, slowish OS, battery life.
Well I fixed the slow home button by doing what was said above and the RAM issues I've read about are that generally it's very good at dealing with it all and it should just be left alone...

Now my only problem is that I can't get it rooted :/

Angst

Trying this Odin thing, but anytime I put my phone into download mode and plug it into my computer it just says device drivers failed :/

Well I fixed the slow home button by doing what was said above and the RAM issues I've read about are that generally it's very good at dealing with it all and it should just be left alone...

Now my only problem is that I can't get it rooted :/

Have you installed Kies? You don't need Kies, but you do need the drivers it brings.

Angst

Okay so I've gotten to the point where I've just done the whole Odin thing now, phone has rebooted and I'm guessing that it's now rooted...

So what do I do? Literally put it back into download mode and flash the CM10 file that was linked http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1779578 there?

That all seems a bit too easy...
If you now have cwm on your phone you download cm10 AND gapps, then reboot into cwm, wipe data, flash cm10, flash gapps then reboot.

Top Bottom