• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S III (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

Okay so I've gotten to the point where I've just done the whole Odin thing now, phone has rebooted and I'm guessing that it's now rooted...

So what do I do? Literally put it back into download mode and flash the CM10 file that was linked http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1779578 there?

That all seems a bit too easy...

yeah, that's it. just make sure to follow the instructions and make sure the proper checkboxes are ticked and/or unticked.

Righty, got that done and CyanogenMod installed, went for the noob guide in the second of those links... how do I go about flashing google apps onto the phone now? Apologies for all the questions. Thanks for all the help so far.

EDIT: When I say I've got CyanogenMod installed, it's been sitting at this spinning logo for about 10 minutes now... Is that normal?

Ugh it seems this isn't normal, and the guide that I went for in that link isn't actually a noob proof guide at all... It didn't tell me to do a factory reset, great noob proof guide that is leaving out a major step. So now what do I do? Looking around there are loads of people saying solutions in everything other than plain English, haven't a clue how to fix this now.

FURTHER EDIT: Right I really wish I hadn't bothered with this now, as it's seemingly impossible to find an answer to this that is explained in plain fucking English. How do I just get back phone back to the way it was when it came out of the packet?

Angst

Righty, got that done and CyanogenMod installed, went for the noob guide in the second of those links... how do I go about flashing google apps onto the phone now? Apologies for all the questions. Thanks for all the help so far.

EDIT: When I say I've got CyanogenMod installed, it's been sitting at this spinning logo for about 10 minutes now... Is that normal?

Ugh it seems this isn't normal, and the guide that I went for in that link isn't actually a noob proof guide at all... It didn't tell me to do a factory reset, great noob proof guide that is leaving out a major step. So now what do I do? Looking around there are loads of people saying solutions in everything other than plain English, haven't a clue how to fix this now.

FURTHER EDIT: Right I really wish I hadn't bothered with this now, as it's seemingly impossible to find an answer to this that is explained in plain fucking English. How do I just get back phone back to the way it was when it came out of the packet?

I got the spinning logo when I forgot to flash gapps. Always flash gapps the first time you install CM.

But don't worry, you can still get to recovery. Reboot into recovery (power+home+vol up), wipe data, flash cm10 and then gapps.

As for your edit: did you do a backup in recovery? If not, there is your lesson for future installs... if you didn't just download one of the official ROMs to your SD card and install that from recovery.

As long as you have CWM recovery on your phone, anything is fixable.

you can boot into recovery mode (not download mode) and wipe data, dalvik and cache, then reboot and see if it boots.

or if you just want to go back in time and make it to boot, you could restore your NANDROID backup and be right back into your previously working ROM setup.

I got the spinning logo when I forgot to flash gapps. Always flash gapps the first time you install CM.

But don't worry, you can still get to recovery. Reboot into recovery (power+home+vol up), wipe data, flash cm10 and then gapps.

it should still boot fully into Android without gapps flashed.

you can boot into recovery mode (not download mode) and wipe data, dalvik and cache, then reboot and see if it boots.

or if you just want to go back in time and make it to boot, you could restore your NANDROID backup and be right back into your previously working ROM setup.
NANDROID backup? See, this guide is terrible, didn't make one of those/don't have any idea what it is. I assume I'm fucked now?

EDIT: Just read your post Angst, that's good to know =.= phew

Have cleared everything and done a fresh install and now it's working. How do I install GAPPS now?

Angst

it should still boot fully into Android without gapps flashed.

Yeah, so probably something was borked with his first install (and consequently, that was probably my issue as well).

glaringradio: if a reflash doesn't solve it and you don't have a nandroid backup you can always reboot to recovery and connect the phone to your pc. Then download an official (or any ROM) to you PC. On your phone in recovery use mount USB (or something like that) to be able to see the sd card in windows to transfer the file.

Angst

NANDROID backup? See, this guide is terrible, didn't make one of those/don't have any idea what it is. I assume I'm fucked now?

EDIT: Just read your post Angst, that's good to know =.= phew

Have cleared everything and done a fresh install and now it's working. How do I install GAPPS now?

do you have a browser on your phone?

If so download http://goo.im/gapps/gapps-jb-20121011-signed.zip reboot to recovery and flash this. Without browser on your phone you'll have to transfer the file from your pc (no need to do the transfer part in recovery now that the phone boots up)

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Cheers for the help angst and everyone else, all up and running now. Fuck me, it is fast and good. Nice.

I always love seeing someone come in here freaking out about their phone. Then the GAF collective calmly pulls them out of the depths of despair and on to the road of prosperity. Sorry I couldn't be among one of the helpers this time.

Glad you got it up and running though!

clav

Under CM10, when I press the Google Now button, the speaker crackles a bit initially upon playing the prompt sound.

Is this a known problem? The speaker doesn't crackle when playing other sounds + music + YouTube.

Other than that, ever since switching to CM10, Google Now never tells me that it didn't understand me. Often with the stock TouchWiz ROM, I had to repeat myself 2-3 times. "Sorry didn't catch that."

marrec

Banned
So to get off the Rooting talk for a bit:

Has anyone been successful in using this phone everyday without a case? I freaking love the feel of the phone sans case but I'm too anxious to carry it around that way. Maybe those heavy duty screen protectors?

My phone is updating now!
tumblr_m032m9ZFqh1r2f6nbo2_250.gif

squicken

Is there a way to use the Samsung music player when using a custom ROM, or is it not separate from all of Samsung's software suite?

Is there a way to use the Samsung music player when using a custom ROM, or is it not separate from all of Samsung's software suite?

many of the Samsung apps need resources that are in TouchWiz but not in AOSP. you can try pulling the APK from your TouchWiz ROM NANDROID backup and seeing if it works.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member

Has anyone been successful in using this phone everyday without a case? I freaking love the feel of the phone sans case but I'm too anxious to carry it around that way. Maybe those heavy duty screen protectors?
I do. Though after 4 months of owning mine the back cover has signs of use, in the form of small scratches and little decolored spots (white version). I don't mind too much about them, but if you do, I'd recommend that you get a case.

Pein

Banned
got my sister an S3 and updated it to jellybean, nothing huge on the surface but its slickas hell now. now everyone in my family has this damn phone now lol.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Anybody else have a problem with their camera rotating pictures? I'll take something in portrait, for instance, and it then rotates the shot and it only shows up as landscape. Really annoying to have so many shots end up rotated 90 degrees.

Ixian

Manually installed Jelly Bean on my Verizon Galaxy SIII, plus got it rooted and have Google Now set to launch when I press my Home button at my home screen. <3 Android.

Hmmmm, I've had my phone plugged in to the wall for the past 6 hours and it's only went from 12% charge to 60% charge... that's not right, is it?

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
Does CM10 have the 4.2 jellybean update with this phone? Forgive me, I'm not well educated on this subject.

Allforce

I'll never use a case on any phone, but I did just buy a new battery cover on eBay, all of the grip from the carbon fiber and none of the bulk of a case. And it gets rid of the shitty Verizon logo on the back as well!

Came within 3 days, looks and feels really nice on the phone. There's a metric ton of different battery covers out there for this phone if you're not into cases in all kinds of different materials. Some of the brushed metal ones look sharp against the white plastic.

Sounds about right. International may get it in April but the US probably in May.

I guess I'll pick up a S3 sunday. Always going to be a better phone out there I suppose. I've never had a smartphone so I'm excited to play with a new gadget even if its old hat to everyone else.

Top Bottom