• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S III (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

VanWinkle

Really liking the Jelly Bean update on Verizon. Google Now is absolutely amazing. I was amazed how, when I was at Walmart, it had a card to research product information and a place to scan barcodes. I do that all the time so it blew me away that it automatically pulled that up. One of the coolest features I've ever seen.

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
Gonna probably pull the trigger and pick mine up tomorrow. Where is the guide for rooting? I'd love to get rid of that god-awful touchwiz and put CM10 on there with 4.2. I LOVE the stock jellybean UI so very much.

Gonna probably pull the trigger and pick mine up tomorrow. Where is the guide for rooting? I'd love to get rid of that god-awful touchwiz and put CM10 on there with 4.2. I LOVE the stock jellybean UI so very much.

Best Buy has them for $50 Sunday I'm told.

Bucca

Guess I should say that I am doing a new two year contract with T-mobile, my current provider for years. Just for clarification.

Bucca

I've been rocking the Galaxy S 4G (1st gen galaxy S). I am SO ready for an upgrade This thing has been flaking out on me for months and cannot wait to get rid of it.

Really liking the Jelly Bean update on Verizon. Google Now is absolutely amazing. I was amazed how, when I was at Walmart, it had a card to research product information and a place to scan barcodes. I do that all the time so it blew me away that it automatically pulled that up. One of the coolest features I've ever seen.

I just learned today Google Search can scan bar codes and listen to songs! Freaking amazing. I uninstalled shazam which hasn't worked for months and soundhound so fast.

Toki767

I just learned today Google Search can scan bar codes and listen to songs! Freaking amazing. I uninstalled shazam which hasn't worked for months and soundhound so fast.
It will only display songs that are on the Play Store so I wouldn't get rid of both just yet.

An-Det

I didn't think JB would make much of an impact, but it definitely feels smoother. And damn Google Now is cool, really glad that is now easily accessed via the program switcher menu.

basik

is there a way to turn off the homescreen window animations in jelly bean? I just want the menus/folders/whatever to pop open and no fancy stuff.

Ixian

I didn't think JB would make much of an impact, but it definitely feels smoother. And damn Google Now is cool, really glad that is now easily accessed via the program switcher menu.
If you run something like Apex you can have it even better and change your Home button's action on your home screen to launch it. :3

And yeah, the smoothness is definitely noticeable -- I spent a good chunk of time just spinning my desktop around since it's a lot better now.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
Thinking about doing a hardware upgrade from Bell Canada. The phone is $49 on a three yr term. Hopefully I can get some more things and a deal on my plan. I've been with Bell for 9 years!

this_guy

So to get off the Rooting talk for a bit:

Has anyone been successful in using this phone everyday without a case? I freaking love the feel of the phone sans case but I'm too anxious to carry it around that way. Maybe those heavy duty screen protectors?

Take a look at the Diztronic tpu case- can be had for $10 on Amazon. It doesn't add bulk at all, gives the back a much nicer feeling (S3 is too slick- feels like it'll slip out of my hands), and just has a slight lip on the edges to keep the screen from touching the ground when face down. I've never been a fan of screen protectors so I don't use one, but this case is perfect for those who normally don't use a case.

Ah, you're still loving it despite those problems? I was all ready to dump my iPhone 4S for the S3. But reading about these certain issues is making me rethink it. Ram issues, slowish OS, battery life.

Well I fixed the slow home button by doing what was said above and the RAM issues I've read about are that generally it's very good at dealing with it all and it should just be left alone...

Yeah, there are no ram issues. It just pre loads your apps to run them quicker rather than leaving it empty. If it needs more ram, it will clear unused apps.

The OS was pretty slick before JB, but it's even better with it. Battery life all depends on what apps you use and how much data they sync. I once got 4 full days with normal use. I average around 2 to 2.5 days now though with more use.

Izick

Made this in the iPhone 5 thread, but I figured I'd post it here as well:

Okay, so I'm about to go and get a smartphone today. First smartphone I'll ever own.

Right now, and because my carrier (Cricket) is limited to them, I'm on the fence between the iPhone 5 and the Galaxy S III. Now I hate when people go "TELL ME WHY I SHULD BY THIS" but as someone who only knows about the smartphone stuff, but has never really experienced it on a daily basis, why would you tell me to pick up a GS III over the iPhone 5, or the other way around?

Husker86

Made this in the iPhone 5 thread, but I figured I'd post it here as well:

Okay, so I'm about to go and get a smartphone today. First smartphone I'll ever own.

Right now, and because my carrier (Cricket) is limited to them, I'm on the fence between the iPhone 5 and the Galaxy S III. Now I hate when people go "TELL ME WHY I SHULD BY THIS" but as someone who only knows about the smartphone stuff, but has never really experienced it on a daily basis, why would you tell me to pick up a GS III over the iPhone 5, or the other way around?

The biggest thing is going to be the size of the device in your hand. I've used both and am currently on an iPhone 5 (I jump around a lot). Even though the screen is bigger than the previous iPhone, it still leaves me yearning for the screen size that I'd been used to (Galaxy Nexus and very brief GSIII before).

The biggest plus to the iPhone 5 is battery life, however the GSIII, especially with pushing that huge screen, isn't too far behind. I had more experience with the Galaxy Nexus which didn't have very good battery life so I may be more impressed with the iPhone 5 than if I were to come from owning a GSIII for a longer period of time.

Try them both out, open a couple webpages on both and see what size you want. Either one is going to be incredible for your first smartphone.

Hieberrr

I don't own the S3 (I own the Nexus 4. But have used the S3 on many occasions and like to think I know more than enough about it), but I'd say customization, the lack of iTunes, integration of Google services, and most importantly the new Suite (multi window? Hell yeah!).

Emwitus

"Limited time offer. Certain restrictions apply. Instant Rebate is limited to 5 phones per purchase."

looks like it's a 100% straight up $100 instant discount.

$399+ tax. period. limit 5 phones per purchase.

Whoopie. how about the buy one phone get another free?? My mom and bro were looking for a phone and this might be neat for them! Thanks for the quick look.

Bucca

Just picked mine up! Can't wait to root it and run CM10 with 4.2 on it. Is there an official guide or anything that GAF recommends?

EDIT: Also what's the likelihood of the status bar burning in? I remember back before I updated my og Galaxy it burned in a bit due to the grey of it.

does anyone elses best buy circular not have the SIII for $50 tomorrow? I looked mine online and it lists it as $200. Am I SOL or can I get them to price match? Or is the ad wrong?

I found a press release so I'll print that in case they try to tell me no.

Toki767

does anyone elses best buy circular not have the SIII for $50 tomorrow? I looked mine online and it lists it as $200. Am I SOL or can I get them to price match? Or is the ad wrong?

I found a press release so I'll print that in case they try to tell me no.
Pretty sure the online ads haven't updated for the week starting tomorrow yet

Pretty sure the online ads haven't updated for the week starting tomorrow yet

I thought I clicked on tomorrow but perhaps not. It seems to be happening so I wont worry too much about it. Just didn't want to get stuck in a crowd and find out its full price. Thanks, Toki.

Bucca

So, you can't move apps downloaded from the Play Store to the SD card? What? So everything is gonna be on device despite having a larger SD card for things such as this? The hell samsung.

Is it possible to move apps to the SD card through rooting then since the stock os doesn't allow for it?

celebi23

So, I've got a Droid 2 and I'm probably upgrading to this. Was at my local Verizon tonight and the guy was really helpful. Pretty awesome how the SIII can send what's on the screen to a Samsung SmartTV (which is what my family has). Can't wait to finally use a powerful Android phone!

I'm back with more problems.

Since installing CM10 (the one that was recommended with a tutorial on the last page) there's a few huge issues:

1. Wifi not working... I can find my router and put in the information, it just says connecting, then goes back to saved.

2. Camera not working... Yeah, don't know why, gallery just crashes and it saves a big grey photo.

3. The battery... Yeah I use it quite a bit and have been gaming and browsing, have tried all sorts of apps for managing the brightness and tried that SetCPU thing (hadn't a clue how to use it) but the battery only seems to last like 5 hours which unfortunately isn't good enough for me. Although this was the same situation before I put cm10 on it.

Have searched on the net and as usual completely baffled by the hundreds of threads on xda-developers that seemingly just go unanswered or get answered with a solution that doesn't work.

Any advice?

I can send the phone back before Wednesday and then just cancel my contract with no repercussions, quite tempted at this point in time :/

EDIT: Actually not sure I can send the phone back with cm10 on it, so how can I get back to the way it was whenever I took it out of the box?

Spinluck

What video formats does this bad boy support? And am I better off with the stock player? Also I want some customizable txt message screens.

Also. How do you organize your photo albums. I would like to have more control over that.

RuGalz

So, you can't move apps downloaded from the Play Store to the SD card? What? So everything is gonna be on device despite having a larger SD card for things such as this? The hell samsung.

Is it possible to move apps to the SD card through rooting then since the stock os doesn't allow for it?

You can swap the two storages that's about it.

Amazon dot com with Sprint GS3 for 1 cent for new subscribers

What video formats does this bad boy support? And am I better off with the stock player? Also I want some customizable txt message screens.

it supports quite a bit. try it until you find something it doesn't play.

yeah, their partition layout threw me for a loop at first too. hopefully i won't ever need more than 10GB of apps...

Angst

I'm back with more problems.

Since installing CM10 (the one that was recommended with a tutorial on the last page) there's a few huge issues:

1. Wifi not working... I can find my router and put in the information, it just says connecting, then goes back to saved.

2. Camera not working... Yeah, don't know why, gallery just crashes and it saves a big grey photo.

3. The battery... Yeah I use it quite a bit and have been gaming and browsing, have tried all sorts of apps for managing the brightness and tried that SetCPU thing (hadn't a clue how to use it) but the battery only seems to last like 5 hours which unfortunately isn't good enough for me. Although this was the same situation before I put cm10 on it.

Have searched on the net and as usual completely baffled by the hundreds of threads on xda-developers that seemingly just go unanswered or get answered with a solution that doesn't work.

Any advice?

I can send the phone back before Wednesday and then just cancel my contract with no repercussions, quite tempted at this point in time :/

EDIT: Actually not sure I can send the phone back with cm10 on it, so how can I get back to the way it was whenever I took it out of the box?
1. Try changing channel and/or encryption method on your router.
2. It should work, but try Camera Zoom FX instead
3. You could try Siyah Kernel and see if that helps.

If you want to return it, just download a stock image from XDA and they'll be none the wiser. You'll have to use triangle away to get rid of the triangle before reflashing stock though.

Triangle Away: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=eu.chainfire.triangleaway

Top Bottom