• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S III (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
Decided to go with the Incipio Faxion case for my white S3. Seems like it has gotten really positive reviews and is nice and slick without much bulk added on. Should be here by Tuesday.

bxBhUl.jpg

Angst

In any case that will be 10.1 and no, that will be another reason not to buy this phone.

Yes, CM10.1 is what I meant. And if you already have an SIII "don't buy it" doesn't really help and we are in the SIII thread so most people here already have the phone.

buhdeh

I'm back with more problems.

Since installing CM10 (the one that was recommended with a tutorial on the last page) there's a few huge issues:

1. Wifi not working... I can find my router and put in the information, it just says connecting, then goes back to saved.

2. Camera not working... Yeah, don't know why, gallery just crashes and it saves a big grey photo.

3. The battery... Yeah I use it quite a bit and have been gaming and browsing, have tried all sorts of apps for managing the brightness and tried that SetCPU thing (hadn't a clue how to use it) but the battery only seems to last like 5 hours which unfortunately isn't good enough for me. Although this was the same situation before I put cm10 on it.

Have searched on the net and as usual completely baffled by the hundreds of threads on xda-developers that seemingly just go unanswered or get answered with a solution that doesn't work.

Any advice?

I can send the phone back before Wednesday and then just cancel my contract with no repercussions, quite tempted at this point in time :/

EDIT: Actually not sure I can send the phone back with cm10 on it, so how can I get back to the way it was whenever I took it out of the box?

Jeez, people really need to stop installing CM10 if they don't know what they're doing and aren't willing to do research before blindly jumping in. I don't know why you would even install it without researching how to get back to the default state first. Why are you touching SetCPU without knowing how to use it?

On a related note, everyone else needs to stop recommending CM10 as if its trivial to install/use for the average person or as some legitimate replacement for a Nexus device. CM10 is still filled with tons of bugs (some existing since the first CM10 nightly) and will NEVER EVER be as good as running the phone's stock firmware or just getting a Nexus phone. Yes, people on XDA will say it's a daily driver but anyone who expects to rely on their phone in the slightest should not use it.

zedge

After my brief experiment with CM10 I don't understand what the big deal is. Stock with touchwiz > CM10 in pretty much every way. And if you don't like touchwiz try another launcher.

g0tm1lk

CM10 is an enhanced version of stock android. It works 100% without issues on nexus devices. It is unfair to say that it has "tons of bugs" using it on other devices when they need to be maintained specifically. I do agree that for the average user stock is most of the time enough. If I could I'd a nexus device, sadly google doesn't sell them where I live so I try to buy the best phone that will suit my needs but there are not many options here.
I can't use stock TW, is just awful, so I go with CM and IMO is 10x better than stock.

clav

After my brief experiment with CM10 I don't understand what the big deal is. Stock with touchwiz > CM10 in pretty much every way. And if you don't like touchwiz try another launcher.

Does a different launcher in TouchWiz change the Samsung messaging + camera apps?

Is there a way to completely remove S-Voice without just disabling it? It kept launching without my permission and showing that disclaimer.

clav

No, but changing the stock messaging and camera apps changes the stock messaging and camera apps.

But then I'll have two. How do I uninstall the old ones?

I think all I remember is that I can hide them, but that's like hiding bloatware in Windows. Why would you do the same for Android?

zedge

Does a different launcher in TouchWiz change the Samsung messaging + camera apps?

Is there a way to completely remove S-Voice without just disabling it? It kept launching without my permission and showing that disclaimer.

You can disable S voice from in the app so when you double press the home button it does not launch.

Homeboyd

Can someone advise me; SIII or Note 2? I've always been an iPhone guy but both intrigue me. I don't know who or where else to ask : /

TheUsual

Gold Member
Argh...best buy online purchasing crashed on me and didn't complete the order. I called their customer service confirming their online purchasing system is down for the next hour!

Homeboyd

Have you held a Note II? Big sucker, especially coming from an iPhone. The S3 is big but the Note is in a whole different league.
Yeah I have. I like the big screen but not sure how I'd transport the damn thing. I've also used both but they both seem so foreign to me having used iPhones since the first one. I hate how limited the iPhone is in comparison, but I'm not sure I can break away yet.

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
Don't buy into all this media horse shit..they make it sound like the bloody apocalypse. All they want are your clicks.

http://www.androidcentral.com/samsung-exynos-kernel-exploit-what-you-need-know

Are you saying that a root escalation exploit that can be triggered by any app on the market and that can go undetected to do whatever it wants to your phone, going from superbrick to recover sensitive data from /data/data is horse shit? wow
If we go by samsung's numbers the amount of phones running exynos4 is insane and most of them are stock, if you ask me this is a very dangerous exploit. You can even use it to root your device without triggering the triangle, so there you go...

And for those considering not buying the phone because of that don't worry, the fix is easy. I'm sure by tomorrow we'll have an app to do that, supercurio is working on that.

There are probably nearly 100 million devices in the wild running Exynos at this point. Samsung probably can't ignore the exploit the way they ignored Superbrick on the GS2/Note1. Then again, this is Samsung, so who knows.

For now, it would be really really smart not to sideload any apps to your GSIII and probably only install new apps from trustworthy sources on Google Play. This exploit is really huge, I don't know what Samsung was thinking leaving a backdoor in their kernel which gives any app the ability to write anything anywhere into the memory.

zedge

Are you saying that a root escalation exploit that can be triggered by any app on the market and that can go undetected to do whatever it wants to your phone, going from superbrick to recover sensitive data from /data/data is horse shit? wow
If we go by samsung's numbers the amount of phones running exynos4 is insane and most of them are stock, if you ask me this is a very dangerous exploit. You can even use it to root your device without triggering the triangle, so there you go...

And for those considering not buying the phone because of that don't worry, the fix is easy. I'm sure by tomorrow we'll have an app to do that, Samsung is working on that.
No that's not what I'm saying.. The chances of someone downloading an app from google play that uses this exploit is likely extremely rare. So to 99.9% of users this exploit is not that big of a threat. It will likely be fixed sooner than later. I would wager Samsung is already aware of it. Saying that, if you are rooted on some custom rom or pirating apps, downloading apps from obscure Chinese markets, than its a risk that already exists.

NaM

No that's not what I'm saying.. The chances of someone downloading an app from google play that uses this exploit is likely extremely rare. So to 99.9% of users this exploit is not that big of a threat. It will likely be fixed sooner than later. I would wager Samsung is already aware of it. Saying that, if you are rooted on some custom rom or pirating apps, downloading apps from obscure Chinese markets, than its a risk that already exists.

This is incorrect. ANY application that has networking permissions (and not even that) can use this exploit and do some serious damage. Let's say the author of beautiful widgets decides to go evil and updates his app to use this exploit and take the token of your google account from the data partition, you will never know because of the way it works and since the token is immune to password changes... and that's just an example from the top of my head, superbrick is another one even more "real" because there's no way around that, only motherboard change. I'm sure some real hackers can do something a lot more creative than what I wrote.

so even if you are not rooted , you can still get hit by some malware app?

On any exynos4 device yup.

Samsung was made aware of it shortly after the guy posted the thread on XDA. Samsung has a history of ignoring security vulnerabilities, in this regard they are copying Apple in a very bad way. Until this is worked around (supercurio is testing an app which closes the vulnerability right now), it is not smart to download any *new* apps which appear on Google Play in addition to not side-loading anything until it is closed. This vulnerability works on stock, non-rooted devices and cannot be prevented from occurring at the moment. So don't be a moron until this is fixed, this vulnerability is on the level of those Windows XP worms.

darkwing

This is incorrect. ANY application that has networking permissions (and not even that) can use this exploit and do some serious damage. Let's say the author of beautiful widgets decides to go evil and updates his app to use this exploit and take the token of your google account from the data partition, you will never know because of the way it works and since the token is immune to password changes... and that's just an example from the top of my head, superbrick is another one even more "real" because there's no way around that, only motherboard change. I'm sure some real hackers can do something a lot more creative than what I wrote.

my golly how can Samsung patch this? only a motherboard change?

zedge

I highly doubt any legit developer would do this. Most people are downloading Facebook, instagram, and angry birds. I think they are pretty safe. I don't buy into mass hysteria.

my golly how can Samsung patch this? only a motherboard change?

It's a kernel exploit, you can patch kernels via OTAs and Kies. The TouchWiz camera app on some devices including certain GSIIIs actually depends on this exploit to operate, yes it actually serves a function and yes Samsung are fucking retarded to implement a stock app this way. So Samsung could patch it by pushing an update to every model of device which uses Exynos 4 around the world. In other words, some devices will NEVER get patched: any device not named Galaxy S II, Galaxy Note, Galaxy S III, and Galaxy Note II will probably be left to die since Samsung ignores non-flagship devices. Some will get patched soon: International devices, where Samsung controls updates. And some will get patched in 6 months when the carrier feels like releasing it: US devices.

It's important to realize that US GSIII DOES NOT use Exynos, it uses Snapdragon S4 and it is immune to this exploit. Only International GSIII is affected.

darkwing

It's a kernel exploit, you can patch kernels via OTAs and Kies. The TouchWiz camera app on some devices including certain GSIIIs actually depends on this exploit to operate, yes it actually serves a function and yes Samsung are fucking retarded to implement a stock app this way. So Samsung could patch it by pushing an update to every model of device which uses Exynos 4 around the world. In other words, some devices will NEVER get patched: any device not named Galaxy S II, Galaxy Note, Galaxy S III, and Galaxy Note II will probably be left to die since Samsung ignores non-flagship devices. Some will get patched soon: International devices, where Samsung controls updates. And some will get patched in 6 months when the carrier feels like releasing it: US devices.

what's the history on Samsung on these kind of security fixes?

NaM

I highly doubt any legit developer would do this. Most people are downloading Facebook, instagram, and angry birds. I think they are pretty safe. I don't buy into mass hysteria.

Mass hysteria? There's no need for that but people should be aware of this and take the necessary precautions.
This vulnerability leaves the affected phones exposed and you can keep trusting your favourites developers because we all know they never used something like this in the past to take advantage, whatever that may be. Google/Safari exploit comes to mind.

BurningNad

Looking for a good holster with a belt clip. I've browsed Amazon and see a few I like This being the lead contender, but I'm not sure. I wanted to keep the slim profile of it, but realize that it really isn't possible with a holster. I'm outside constantly walking while at work and need something to protect it, and keeping it in my pocket is not very feasible. Any recommendations, GAF? I'll even look at just plain old shells and stick it in my chest pocket if it's good enough.

Edit: I've seen the Incipio one some posts up and it does indeed look sexy. Maybe I'll get that if there's no good holsters.

Google Now shipment tracking is useless. I have a few orders from amazon that I got shipping confirmation emails for an it doesnt appear in a card.

Is this working for anything else?

snacknuts

we all knew her
Google Now shipment tracking is useless. I have a few orders from amazon that I got shipping confirmation emails for an it doesnt appear in a card.

I don't mean for this to sound like a stupid question, but you turned that portion on in the settings, right? Because it works really well for me.

clav

Is your "Show Cards on Gmail" checked in the Google Now settings menu?

Top Bottom