• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S III (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

This is good but I think that if you already had root you could chmod the affected files. Supercurio is working on a solution for non-rooted users; that will be probably the most popular choice.

The chmod does not persist past reboot according to people at XDA. An app is the better option, but yeah if you don't want root wait for supercurio's app.

BiggNife

Decided to go with the Incipio Faxion case for my white S3. Seems like it has gotten really positive reviews and is nice and slick without much bulk added on. Should be here by Tuesday.

bxBhUl.jpg

Looks good, I think I might get one for myself. I'm kind of fed up with the cheap generic case that I currently have.

zedge

Mass hysteria? There's no need for that but people should be aware of this and take the necessary precautions.
This vulnerability leaves the affected phones exposed and you can keep trusting your favourites developers because we all know they never used something like this in the past to take advantage, whatever that may be. Google/Safari exploit comes to mind.

How about a US centric site with no mention that this exploit is no danger to most US models? Ridiculous. Like everyone reading knows whether their GS3 has an exynos or a vacuum cleaner for all they know. They just know they have a GS3 and will probably panic over it for no reason.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/12/16/security-exploit-opens-samsung-exynos-devices-to-attack/

The Verge is not much better..

http://www.theverge.com/2012/12/16/3773550/samsung-galaxy-s-iii-galaxy-note-ii-serious-vulnerability

For the no-root types, supercurio's fix app for the Exynos Abuse exploit is now up:
http://project-voodoo.org/articles/...use-vulnerability-no-root-required-reversible

Again, you don't need to do anything if you have a North American or Japanese Galaxy S III. Those phones use Snapdragon S4, not Exynos.

How about a US centric site with no mention that this exploit is no danger to most US models? Ridiculous. Like everyone reading knows whether their GS3 has an exynos or a vacuum cleaner for all they know. They just know they have a GS3 and will probably panic over it for no reason.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/12/16/security-exploit-opens-samsung-exynos-devices-to-attack/

The Verge is not much better..

http://www.theverge.com/2012/12/16/3773550/samsung-galaxy-s-iii-galaxy-note-ii-serious-vulnerability

I'm not sure how you believe even for a second that nobody outside the US reads Engadget and The Verge.

zedge

For the no-root types, supercurio's fix app for the Exynos Abuse exploit is now up:
http://project-voodoo.org/articles/...use-vulnerability-no-root-required-reversible

Again, you don't need to do anything if you have a North American or Japanese Galaxy S III. Those phones use Snapdragon S4, not Exynos.

I'm not sure how you believe even for a second that nobody outside the US reads Engadget and The Verge.

Doesn't change the fact that its rather misleading.

You just provided more relevant info in your post than these tech blogs are. :D

Sallokin

Not sure if this has been talked about but just a heads up.

I had been having issues getting OTA updates since the September update. Whenever I would search for updates in the settings it would simply say "this service is not available please try it again when the service is available..." All the Verizon stores I went to were unable to help me. I finally found someone who had run into the issue before and he (correctly) guessed that it was a SIM card issue.

Got my SIM replaced today (after some back and forth with tech support) and it immediately fixed the problem.

that's not even the point though. wanna bet that in their previous articles about the US GS3, one of the first things they mention is it uses a dual core qualcomm and not the super awesome quad core exynos thats in the international models?

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
So I decided to pick up the S3 from Bell Canada. I got the white one and already picked up a sort of cheap, but transparent, case.

I was wondering if a screen protector is required and if so, which is the best (and most affordable) one to pick up? I have a gift card from Best Buy so I was hoping that I can use it there.

Also - I'm pretty scared to root or do anything to my phone ... anyone else have that type of nervousness? I've tried before, with my Samsung Galaxy Gio, almost messed it up (but it was my first time trying).

marrec

Banned
So I decided to pick up the S3 from Bell Canada. I got the white one and already picked up a sort of cheap, but transparent, case.

I was wondering if a screen protector is required and if so, which is the best (and most affordable) one to pick up? I have a gift card from Best Buy so I was hoping that I can use it there.

Also - I'm pretty scared to root or do anything to my phone ... anyone else have that type of nervousness? I've tried before, with my Samsung Galaxy Gio, almost messed it up (but it was my first time trying).

The screen is almost unscratchable if you have any care of it. I've only managed to get an extremely small corner of the screen scratched in the 4 months I've owned it.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
The screen is almost unscratchable if you have any care of it. I've only managed to get an extremely small corner of the screen scratched in the 4 months I've owned it.
Good to know. In all honesty I prefer having my device without any screen protectors, but this screen is a lot bigger than my Galaxy Gio.

BiggNife

I have a habit of accidentally getting terrible scratches on my mobile devices and my GS3 has none despite the fact that I've been using it nonstop for five months now. No screen protector either.

RoadHazard

Gold Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhoF564nJ_Q

These screens are durable as hell. Common metal objects like keys and coins don't have a hardness high enough to damage them.

What will scratch them is sand. That's about the worst thing for a phone screen, it will scratch it right up. So don't keep sand in your pockets.

I use a pouch similar to this for my GNex, and nothing else:

YOJhd.jpg

This is the best way to protect your phone, if you ask me. It protects it from accidental scratching while it's in your pocket, but leaves it completely bulk-free when you're actually using it, like it's meant to be. It stops being all that helpful if you drop the phone while using it, of course, but you'll just have to be a bit careful with that!

skynidas

Banned
Hey guys! Just got my new Galaxy S III, it feels fucking weird ( my previous phone was a 5 year old blackberry) so I was wondering what are the best apps that I can download and if there are some pro tips that I should know of.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhoF564nJ_Q

These screens are durable as hell. Common metal objects like keys and coins don't have a hardness high enough to damage them.

What will scratch them is sand. That's about the worst thing for a phone screen, it will scratch it right up. So don't keep sand in your pockets.

I use a pouch similar to this for my GNex, and nothing else:

YOJhd.jpg

This is the best way to protect your phone, if you ask me. It protects it from accidental scratching while it's in your pocket, but leaves it completely bulk-free when you're actually using it, like it's meant to be. It stops being all that helpful if you drop the phone while using it, of course, but you'll just have to be a bit careful with that!
That video was cringe worthy lol. Good to know its super durable. I have a similar case like that so I suppose I'll use that for now! Thanks!

Know any place that will sell that type of sleeve? I don't see any around here. I'm thinking eBay - this one.

DTJAAAAM

Got one yesterday and love it. One thing about the stock e-mail app still kind of bugs me, so I was wondering if anyone had a workaround.

I had an EVO before this, and would have my e-mail accounts checked in 15 minute intervals between 7 AM and 12 AM every day as peak times, not checking for e-mails at all while off-peak. I want to do the same thing on my S III, but peak end time on the sync schedule keeps changing to whenever the account was last checked, making me think it'll basically keep looking all day.

It's not a huge issue and I can live with it if it can't be fixed, but I just have to check!

jambo

I picked up a Galaxy S3 4G last week from Optus and apart from a GPS issue it's been going great guns.

Is there a trick to getting GPS working? I can't seem to get Google Maps to work at all, no combination of Mobile Data, GPS and WiFi works =\

When I turn GPS on it just searches for satellites and never finds anything.

Running JB 4.1.1

This might be a stupid question, but I have the same problem with this phone that I do with all the others I've had: there's a sweet spot in terms of music volume, and I can't get to it because the volume controls aren't granular enough. It's either slightly too soft or slightly too loud - something I don't have to deal with on an iPod. Is there any way to make the volume control more sensitive?

Edit: Perhaps a trip to the Play store was in order before I asked. There are, apparently, volume apps out there, but I haven't tried any yet. It's on my to-do list.

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
Got my Incipio Faxion case in the mail today. The all black case with a white S3 looks sooooo much better in person than in pictures. I love it. Case is nice and tight, not at all slippery in the hand but slides nice and smooth out of a pocket, there's a pretty decent lip on it and it just looks great. Volume and power buttons are also super responsive. Only downside though is that since the back of the case is glossy, expect it to scratch up very quickly.

Other than that this case is great so far.

Edit: Also forgot to mention, the case is super light and hardly adds any weight or bulk to the phone.

OG Kush

Guys my S3 won't connect to my mac. It works through Kies but Android file transfer just keeps saying device cannot connect, please reconnect... I'm running Mountain Lion. had the phone for 5 weeks now and still can't connect it through Android File transfer, need some help please. Thanks

RuGalz

Guys my S3 won't connect to my mac. It works through Kies but Android file transfer just keeps saying device cannot connect, please reconnect... I'm running Mountain Lion. had the phone for 5 weeks now and still can't connect it through Android File transfer, need some help please. Thanks

try changing to camera mode or media mode when the notification appears

OG Kush

try changing to camera mode or media mode when the notification appears

Tried this a hundred times already... many people having the same issue as me. Heres what I've found..
"There is another thing that nobody seems to have flagged up yet - if you have updated your phone to the BLFB then Kies/Android File Transfer/Etc. WILL NOT WORK.

If you have BLFB you CANNOT connect to OSX by cable in any way that is useful. XNJB will let you connect, but its not designed for Android so is little use.

Yes, you can use Air Droid... but try copying an HD movie across using it!

Samsung really need to get their shit together and sort it out. "

This is really fucking bullshit and annoying.

Spinluck

Got my Incipio Faxion case in the mail today. The all black case with a white S3 looks sooooo much better in person than in pictures. I love it. Case is nice and tight, not at all slippery in the hand but slides nice and smooth out of a pocket, there's a pretty decent lip on it and it just looks great. Volume and power buttons are also super responsive. Only downside though is that since the back of the case is glossy, expect it to scratch up very quickly.

Other than that this case is great so far.

Edit: Also forgot to mention, the case is super light and hardly adds any weight or bulk to the phone.

I guess we can't have it all.

Still ordering it in case I don't like the one already on the way.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone know how to conserve the battery on the S3? I rarely leave LTE/3G on, have brightness to the lowest and turned off haptic feedback.

Any suggestions?

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Anyone know how to conserve the battery on the S3? I rarely leave LTE/3G on, have brightness to the lowest and turned off haptic feedback.

Any suggestions?

use a geo fencing app like llama to turn off wifi when youre not at home or work/school

GuessWho

Holy. Shit updated to jelly bean and wow does the battery drain like crazy. This is not normal. It last like half a day with minimal use. Any fix?

RuGalz

Holy. Shit updated to jelly bean and wow does the battery drain like crazy. This is not normal. It last like half a day with minimal use. Any fix?

It may take a couple days to normalize. But if you are constantly at bad signal area turn off location history, Google Now, etc. Sometimes, in the past, I find factory reset helps but that's the last resort.

_RT_

I moved from the HTC Evo 4g to the SG3 about 5 months ago. Loved the phone and dealt with the "ok" battery life. It's on the Sprint network and most days when I get home from work I have about 40-50% left in life.
Well... I have home sick on Monday and decided to install CM10. I had been running MIUI on my Evo and was pretty familiar with the rooting process.

I've got to say.....

I love this ROM.
Battery life was at 75% when I got home from work.
Everything seems to be working properly.
No complaints what-so-ever.... yet. Hopefully it stays that way.

If you are contemplating a root, give it a whirl. You might be happy with what you find.

BiggNife

Yeah, manufacturer updates of any kind for Android devices usually tend to unroot the device since it's not something they want you to be doing. There's a root backup app on the play store that is supposed to restore your root if you lose it, but I don't think it's 100% reliable.

skasaha

Neo Member
you guys talking about the screen scratching thing, i'd say better safe than sorry. I thought the same too, wow gorilla glass, it doesn't even scratch with keys.
...then somehow my thumbnail scratched it. yes it's a scratch, a really tiny one but about 3mm long.
...I got a screen protector after that :(

This might be a stupid question, but I have the same problem with this phone that I do with all the others I've had: there's a sweet spot in terms of music volume, and I can't get to it because the volume controls aren't granular enough. It's either slightly too soft or slightly too loud - something I don't have to deal with on an iPod. Is there any way to make the volume control more sensitive?

Edit: Perhaps a trip to the Play store was in order before I asked. There are, apparently, volume apps out there, but I haven't tried any yet. It's on my to-do list.

Yeah, if you're going to jack around with volume control apps hoping for more incremental volume increase/decrease, don't bother. Must be a hardware thing. Well, I tried...

Oyashiro

Question: I've read some people online saying that when you put a custom ROM on the S3, you will lose picture quality on the camera. Is this true? I was under the impression that the camera would work the same regardless of the app you use to take the picture. Does this mean that the stock S3 camera actually takes higher quality or better pictures than the 4.1 camera?

Toki767

Question: I've read some people online saying that when you put a custom ROM on the S3, you will lose picture quality on the camera. Is this true? I was under the impression that the camera would work the same regardless of the app you use to take the picture. Does this mean that the stock S3 camera actually takes higher quality or better pictures than the 4.1 camera?

The stock S3 camera app being better than the stock Android camera app is entirely plausible.

Yeah, manufacturer updates of any kind for Android devices usually tend to unroot the device since it's not something they want you to be doing. There's a root backup app on the play store that is supposed to restore your root if you lose it, but I don't think it's 100% reliable.
Good thing it only takes like two minutes to root the phone again!

clav

I like the vanilla feature camera more simply because of the UI. Swipe to see your last picture.

TouchWiz: Touch this very tiny icon.

Top Bottom