• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S III (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

Are there any Samsung apps that would be good t have on a stock rom (LOL, can't believe I'm asking this)

Why can't you believe it? Because you've never known anything but stock and don't understand what Samsung has done to improve Android?

The answer is all of them. TouchWiz isn't very pretty but the functionality compared to stock Android is, well, in another galaxy.

Withnail

Why can't you believe it? Because you've never known anything but stock and don't understand what Samsung has done to improve Android?

The answer is all of them. TouchWiz isn't very pretty but the functionality compared to stock Android is, well, in another galaxy.

Yep, I have to agree with this. For instance the S3 calendar app is ugly as sin but the month view absolutely dumps on Google Calendar in terms of usefulness and functionality. Same goes for the camera. Then you've got some neat things like SmartStay, S Beam, Blocking mode, etc.

I've got an S3 and a Nexus 7 so I get to experience the best of both worlds. I'm not looking to remove TouchWiz from the S3 any time soon.

I could live without some of the Samsung bloatware though.

thetechkid

So I got an email last week about a shipment and it showed up on Google Now shortly after, but I got another one today and it hasn't shown up. Is it supposed to take a while for it to show up or something? Also my phone keeps connecting to wifi all the time now when I open up notifications, is that normal?

Misterhbk

So I made the jump from the iPhone to the Galaxy a few days ago and I gotta say I'm fucking loving this phone. The screen is absolutely gorgeous and trumps the iPhone in every way possible. Im still getting used to certain this, but man, I'm glad I decided against getting the iPhone 5 and grabbed this instead.

Premium Suite in the UK rolling out starting TODAY so check your updates!

New and Updated Apps and Features including: Multi Window! Samsung Gallery! Paper Artist! Group Cas! Smart Rotation! Contextual Tag! Contextual Page! Auto Share Shot Pairing using NFC! Best Face! Low Light Mode! 360 Degree Panorama Mode! Continuous Input! AllShare Cast! Smart Dock! Improved touch response! S Beam!

RuGalz

Premium Suite in the UK rolling out starting TODAY so check your updates!

New and Updated Apps and Features including: Multi Window! Samsung Gallery! Paper Artist! Group Cas! Smart Rotation! Contextual Tag! Contextual Page! Auto Share Shot Pairing using NFC! Best Face! Low Light Mode! 360 Degree Panorama Mode! Continuous Input! AllShare Cast! Smart Dock! Improved touch response! S Beam!

Remove the damn S Voice already!

goober

How do you change the notifications on Jelly Bean?

Before the LED would blink blue for emails, messages, etc.

Then it would stay a solid purple for Facebook messages.
This ^ no longer happens, and I want it back. Anyone know how?

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife

Settings/Display/LED indicator?

snacknuts

we all knew her

The LED colors are usually set in the settings for the individual apps.

nib95

Banned
Have to say, 4.1.2 is the coolest update ever. That proper multitasking is amazing. It was one of the key things I missed about the Note II, and I honestly can't believe Samsung added it let alone so fast. Kudo's to Sammy. They keep doing stuff that re-affirms my decision to switch.

MNC

Have to say, 4.1.2 is the coolest update ever. That proper multitasking is amazing. It was one of the key things I missed about the Note II, and I honestly can't believe Samsung added it let alone so fast. Kudo's to Sammy. They keep doing stuff that re-affirms my decision to switch.
Is that only supported on Samsung roms or stock 4.1.2?

For some reason Gmail decided to stop automatically syncing my emails whenever I opened the application. Now I have to manually refresh the inbox in order to see if I received any new emails.

Is there any reason for this change? I didn't change any settings.

Doombear

For some reason Gmail decided to stop automatically syncing my emails whenever I opened the application. Now I have to manually refresh the inbox in order to see if I received any new emails.

Is there any reason for this change? I didn't change any settings.

Have you checked System Settings > Accounts - Google > Your Email Address > make sure Sync Gmail (and any others you want to sync) are checked?

You said nothing has been changed, and if your Sync Gmail box is checked there then I really don't know what could be causing it. It syncs just fine if you do it manually though?

nib95

Banned
YES! Something else that's been fixed in 4.1.2 that was really annoying me, now when you click a YT link whilst web browsing, it opens in the YT app instead of the browser version of YT (lower quality and worse options). I read that they only removed this option before due to an Apple law suit in the EU, I believe that suit has now been found in Samsung's favour which might explain why the feature is back on.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Kies is a horrible horrible program lol

Spent like 3-4 hours trying to upgrade to JB on my ATT GS3. Always froze up on some issue. Also all my samsung usb cables dont work on my pc, device wouldnt be recognized. Oddly my Nokia usb cable works...but still doesnt complete the job. Got to the job where it should be flashing the new firmware but just stayed at 0% for an hour until I restarted phone manually. :/

Have you checked System Settings > Accounts - Google > Your Email Address > make sure Sync Gmail (and any others you want to sync) are checked?

You said nothing has been changed, and if your Sync Gmail box is checked there then I really don't know what could be causing it. It syncs just fine if you do it manually though?

I just checked and for some reason synching was set to OFF. I don't recall ever changing it to that (since I would absolutely have no reason to), but there you go. User error, I guess.

If Power Saving is enabled, will it automatically shut off any syncing applications on the phone? I know it sometimes messes with certain settings (such as haptic feedback) and doesn't revert them after turning off power saving mode. Or maybe I'm just stupid and accidentally unchecked the sync option in the notification bar when I meant to hit airplane mode.

In any case, the issue is resolved thanks to your help and my incredible ineptitude. ;)

Kies is a horrible horrible program lol

Spent like 3-4 hours trying to upgrade to JB on my ATT GS3. Always froze up on some issue. Also all my samsung usb cables dont work on my pc, device wouldnt be recognized. Oddly my Nokia usb cable works...but still doesnt complete the job. Got to the job where it should be flashing the new firmware but just stayed at 0% for an hour until I restarted phone manually. :/

Are you rooted? I used odin to update mine.

edit:guess that won't work if your cables are shot.

Withnail

Received the 4.1.2 update yesterday. The multi-window thing is awesome and actually pretty useful. Today I was chatting in Talk and browsing the Web in Chrome simultaneously. So good.

Another great feature is the ability to customise the options in the notification drawer, and if you reduce the number of toggles to five it won't do that annoying sideways scrolling any more.

New gallery app as well. It's a really nice update.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Received the 4.1.2 update yesterday. The multi-window thing is awesome and actually pretty useful. Today I was chatting in Talk and browsing the Web in Chrome simultaneously. So good.

Another great feature is the ability to customise the options in the notification drawer, and if you reduce the number of toggles to five it won't do that annoying sideways scrolling any more.

New gallery app as well. It's a really nice update.

multi window thing?

Yeah multi-window is absolutely brilliant.

Was able to stream a movie from my laptop to my phone, whilst browsing GAF at the same time. Worked like a charm.

Had the phone just over a week now, still not really pleased with the battery life, but everything else is bloody great.

Battery life is probably just taking a complete and utter caning because I never leave the damn thing alone.

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
Is there a way to completely transfer all my pics from my old phone to this one?

I have a shit ton of pcs lol

You could use dropbox. Dunno what carrier you're on, but if they opted in for the 48GB free for 2 years with a purchase of an S3 then I would definitely use that.

I downloaded an update (I guess it was Jelly Bean?). The speed of my phone has improved a lot, but has anyone noticed that it sucks up more power? Before I had between 40-50% left at the end of the day, last few days, I've been hitting 18-25%. Really odd.

teiresias

I'm really liking the latest CM10.1 nightlies (there are still some quirks though so not sure it's appropriate for everyone to use as a daily driver). I decided to move on over to it since they stopped doing nightlies for CM10.

GuessWho

I downloaded an update (I guess it was Jelly Bean?). The speed of my phone has improved a lot, but has anyone noticed that it sucks up more power? Before I had between 40-50% left at the end of the day, last few days, I've been hitting 18-25%. Really odd.

yeah I noticed that too at first, and was getting very worried. It's weird but it will adjust itself after some time. Just reboot your phone and hit power saving mode in settings. The battery seems to last longer then before.

FL4TW4V3

Just ordered my i9300 yesterday. I can't wait 'till thursday, when I'll get my hands on it. 5 years using iOS were enough for me.

teiresias

Is anyone else getting screen flickering with cm 10.1?

Enable Developer Options (quickly click the Build Number in "about phone" seven times) then go into the Developer Options and check "Disable HW Overlays", that seems to help until it's fixed.

My main problems now with CM10.1 are no wallpaper or rotate options for the lock screen, and my Bluetooth seems to freeze if try and turn it off forcing me to reboot (the phone doesn't freeze, just Bluetooth is stuck and inoperable).

snacknuts

we all knew her
I've had this phone for a couple weeks now, and I discovered a weird issue with the Gallery. There are several dozen images that are in other Picasa web albums that are showing up as single image albums in the gallery (see screenshot below). I can't delete the image or the album, and if I try to go to the Picasa site, those albums don't show up. I cleared the Gallery cache and data and tried re-syncing everything, but it repopulated the same individual file albums. I upgraded from a Galaxy Nexus, and none of these "albums" showed up in the gallery on that phone. Any thoughts?

Screenshot_2012-12-22-23-10-04.png

Mush

Greetings motherfuckers.

Just got me one of these fancy mofos and I am stoked as hell with it after living with a lowly LG P500 for a year and a bit. Just a few questions:

1. How long should I leave this sucker charging for? (first time and all that)

2. As far as cases go, I'm looking at grabbing an Otterbox Defender but as far as heavy-duty stuff, are there any other options?

Top Bottom