• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S III (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

past few days i was wondering what was draining my battery too fast. couldn't tell until i realized i had steam app run in background. lol.

Greetings motherfuckers.

Just got me one of these fancy mofos and I am stoked as hell with it after living with a lowly LG P500 for a year and a bit. Just a few questions:

1. How long should I leave this sucker charging for? (first time and all that)

2. As far as cases go, I'm looking at grabbing an Otterbox Defender but as far as heavy-duty stuff, are there any other options?

1. Until it's charged 100%, that's what I did anyway
2. I have an Otterbox commuter, I like it. No screen protector but there's a youtube video floating around of some woman trying to scratch the glass on an S3 with keys and failing so I'm not too worried about scratches.

There's this article on CNET about cases
http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-19736_7-57479752-251/best-samsung-galaxy-s3-cases/

past few days i was wondering what was draining my battery too fast. couldn't tell until i realized i had steam app run in background. lol.
I've found several things which can still burn this phone's battery down in a matter of hours.

- Google+ Instant Upload
- Maps automatically update my location
- Engadget shitty shit app

These were all found the hard way.

FSLink

Banned
Slowly reading through this topic, I'm getting an S III sometime next week. Anything I should know? Never had an Android phone before, was on the iPhone 4.

VanWinkle

So...Verizon S3 with Jelly Bean here. I've always been happily surprised by my battery life on this thing, but it just seems so bad now. It just went completely dead after 9 hours off the charger, and under the battery section, "Screen" took by far the most battery, yet it was only on 1hr30m! Can somebody help me here? I don't know if Jelly Bean is the cause or what.

I can't imagine that Google Now is too great for battery life, though.

Tamanon

Banned
Got home with my new S3 a few hours ago. Had a Atrix 4G and was deciding between this and the iPhone 5. Thus far, I really like the interface and responsiveness. Going through the Jelly Bean update now after finally figuring out what I needed to do to get it.

FireCloud

On Verizon with Jelly Bean as well and think that my battery life is somewhat worse also. I noticed yesterday that the "awake" indicator in the battery monitor showed that my phone wasn't sleeping. I rebooted and haven't noticed it again but I plan to keep an eye on it.

Played with my mom's Galaxy Note II.

You people that choose touch wiz over stock are monsters. Pure monsters.

Someone better tell GSM Arena they are pure monsters then.

The world has changed a lot and stock Android is missing a lot of functionality that TouchWiz adds. It might not win any beauty contests but I can't imagine going back to the bare functionality of stock after having experienced all the nice things added by TouchWiz on my Note II.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
My Samsung Galaxy SIII died the other day. No idea why. Previous day it was working fine, but next day - dead.

And the timing sucks, because it means I'll be without it for the holiday season.

Don't get me wrong, I love the phone, but this has never happened to me before.

IceCold

This is such bullshit. My phone carrier, Fido (in Canada) just got the SIII 16gb and with a 2 year contract it costs $400. Fuck these cunts. Rogers (which owns Fido) has it at $30 with a 3 year contract.

_RT_

My Samsung Galaxy SIII died the other day. No idea why. Previous day it was working fine, but next day - dead.

And the timing sucks, because it means I'll be without it for the holiday season.

Don't get me wrong, I love the phone, but this has never happened to me before.

I read a report about this happening to a bunch of people. Mobo's just up and died.

Oyashiro

For all the GS3 users with custom ROMs: does anyone use a TW based ROM? Im using LiquidSmooth right now (which, I believe, is based off of CM10) but have been toying around with the idea of trying out a TW-based ROM. Anyone know of any good ones?

RuGalz

For all the GS3 users with custom ROMs: does anyone use a TW based ROM? Im using LiquidSmooth right now (which, I believe, is based off of CM10) but have been toying around with the idea of trying out a TW-based ROM. Anyone know of any good ones?

Um each variation has its own set of custom roms... I pretty much only use TW based roms. Too many issues with CM10 based on VZW GS3 and speed difference isn't anything to write home about.

celebi23

So, I love my S3 but, I've got 2 major gripes with it:
*Can't move apps to the SD Card
*No USB Mass Storage option (have to use the crappy Android File Transfer app on my Mac)

Can these gripes be fixed if I root it?

MNC

I love this phone. Its so fancy. But i have horrendous batterylife. Did just about 30 minutes of gaming and lightweight use snd im at 40% with 6 hours. My cm mod htc desire easily got 2 days... i can easily custom rom this but theres a few things samsung i dont want to get rid of yet plus i just got finished setting up this phone... any ideas? Its rooted so i can freeze any app from samsung if desired.

Played with my mom's Galaxy Note II.

You people that choose touch wiz over stock are monsters. Pure monsters.

every time smart stay keeps my screen on while i'm reading...

every time i use multitasking to get things done faster...

every time i use s note to write something down really quick...

every time i lay in bed with my phone sideways and it keeps the text oriented with my eyes instead of the direction of the ground...

i know just a little bit more that you're wrong.

quickwhips

My mom just got a S3 but the vibrate isn't working. Is this a known issue or is hers messed up? i saw a forum post about messaging and tried changing the setting and it still didn't fix the issue.

YagizY

Can someone help me? I have a Note 2 running 4.1.2 and when I bring up the multiview tab their is no gmail, youtube, or chrome option despite the fact that I have these apps installed on my phone. Even when I click edit it doesnt come up on the list of apps that I can drag on there. Any help would be appreciated.

[EDIT] Guess its a Verizon thing. Thats AWESOME.

Can someone help me? I have a Note 2 running 4.1.2 and when I bring up the multiview tab their is no gmail, youtube, or chrome option despite the fact that I have these apps installed on my phone. Even when I click edit it doesnt come up on the list of apps that I can drag on there. Any help would be appreciated.

[EDIT] Guess its a Verizon thing. Thats AWESOME.
Yep.

You can get around their restrictions though..

My mom just got a S3 but the vibrate isn't working. Is this a known issue or is hers messed up? i saw a forum post about messaging and tried changing the setting and it still didn't fix the issue.
Sounds messed up... Did you try putting other things on vibrate like calls and keyboard feedback?

RkOwnage

My upgrade is coming up January 14th, and I am strongly considering ditching the iPhone brand (have a 4s atm) and going with the S3. Should I wait for something newer, or do you guys still consider the S3 to be top of the line? The size of the phone is good for me, bigger than the iPhone, but not overly huge. I am just wondering if I am in an upgrade period that I may want to consider waiting for something newer.

Just wanted a couple of opinions on the matter. I've read every comparison article between the iPhone5/S3 that I could find and it really comes down to personal preference. I've been an iPhone user since the 3GS, and honestly am looking for something new.

My upgrade is coming up January 14th, and I am strongly considering ditching the iPhone brand (have a 4s atm) and going with the S3. Should I wait for something newer, or do you guys still consider the S3 to be top of the line? The size of the phone is good for me, bigger than the iPhone, but not overly huge. I am just wondering if I am in an upgrade period that I may want to consider waiting for something newer.

Just wanted a couple of opinions on the matter. I've read every comparison article between the iPhone5/S3 that I could find and it really comes down to personal preference. I've been an iPhone user since the 3GS, and honestly am looking for something new.

GS3 would be a goo choice.

Cipherr

Yeah the GS3 is a great choice, definitely top end at the moment. Your upgrade lands right smack in the center of a cycle. 6 months into the new year a new round of flagship phones will be coming out. The S4, HTC's next and whatnot. If you will be fine with your current phone until then, wait it out.

But if that upgrades going to burn a hole in your pocket, go ahead and grab the S3, its a fantastic phone and it will receive all of next years Android updates.

BiggNife

Which provider are you on? The GS3 is a good choice regardless, but if you're on Verizon you might want to look at the Droid DNA (super nice screen, slightly better specs) or the Razr Maxx HD (way better battery life than any other smartphone).

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
Just installed Nova Launcher and the Jelly Bean messenger app. Pretty cool! I'm too scared to root on my own so this is perfect lol.

RkOwnage

Which provider are you on? The GS3 is a good choice regardless, but if you're on Verizon you might want to look at the Droid DNA (super nice screen, slightly better specs) or the Razr Maxx HD (way better battery life than any other smartphone).

I am indeed with Big Red, but I have some reservations about Motorola Android devices because I have heard nightmares about their camera. My buddy who is an ASM at Verizon just got a Razr Max HD and he said the camera is just as bad as the Bionics. It just seems Motorola can't do a camera to save their life. The DNA looks promising, but I've heard small annoyances about the charging port door and the lack of removable back (although this is not so much an annoyance to me as I have an iPhone currently)

What kind of annoyances are there with the S3?

clav

But if that upgrades going to burn a hole in your pocket, go ahead and grab the S3, its a fantastic phone and it will receive all of next years Android updates.

Source?

What keyboard does GSIII GAF like? I was wondering if any of you installed the 4.2 Jellybean keyboard from the Play Store.

Sallokin

What's with the extra blue box outlines on the left and right sides when you're setting wallpapers. Can't for the life of me figure out what their for. For a second I thought it was something to do with scrolling wallpapers, but that doesn't seem to be the case. It's driving me nuts.

What kind of annoyances are there with the S3?

The GSIII screen is PenTile, it's made of plastic, and the North American version only has 2 cores.

It happens that the Note II corrects 2 of the 3 issues. It's still made of plastic though.

Awesome :D How easy is it to root an S3 that has the 4.1 update installed? Thanks!

Rooting and custom ROMs for GSIII are trivial these days. The phone was released early 2012, plenty of time for the hackers to tear it apart and glue it back together again.

kitch9

Banned
Slowly reading through this topic, I'm getting an S III sometime next week. Anything I should know? Never had an Android phone before, was on the iPhone 4.

Main thing is don't expect using bluetooth to be an enjoyable experience.

Samsung struggle with compatibility for some reason.

Top Bottom