• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S III (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

MNC

Few things. I just used my siri copy to set an alarm. Itvwas awesome.

Second, why is dolphin browser mini such a battery drainer?

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
Maybe I wasn't clear.

Turning it off is an option, my question was can I change the sound..

You can actually but you need to be rooted, go into the folder that contains all of the sounds, find said sound file, and either delete it or replace it with a new sound with the same file name.

Any app that allows me to set saving mode on after a certain battery percentage? The s2 can do this...

This isn't in the power saver option?

Maybe I'm think that was an HTC thing

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Is there a way to watch embedded videos on the media player you want, or are you left to deal with the site its on?

MooMoo

So I set the Stocks card in Google Now to show up only in the morning/evening but it never actually shows up, even if I spam refresh. I know I can just set it to show up all the time but now that I've noticed this odd issue I can't help but wonder if anyone else has experienced this issue/know's what up?

upandaway

When my S3 is connected to the charger after it's been charged fully to 100%, every few minutes the screen turns on with the "charging complete" sound (until the 30 second screen time out). It does this for the entire night and it's annoying as hell.

Does anyone know how to get rid of that?

Gaaraz

Woo, finally got the update that has the split window feature, though not sure how often I'd use it!

Which browser do you guys find best btw - the stock browser, or Chrome?

So I'll be grabbing one of these this Friday for my birthday as my first smartphone. I like to tinker and tweak, so rooting will definitely be in the picture at some point. While the apps are a nice feature, besides maps and email I plan to mostly use it as a phone combo media player with the occasional picture/video. Anything else I should know/keep in mind when I get it?

Madtown_

Woo, finally got the update that has the split window feature, though not sure how often I'd use it!

Which browser do you guys find best btw - the stock browser, or Chrome?

Is that Jelly Bean? 4.1.1, or higher?
I finally got the update from ICS to JB, and really am impressed. Input is much much faster.
Haven't noticed much of an adverse affect on the battery life with Now so far.

I prefer Chrome over the stock, but keep switching between Firefox and Chrome. Firefox is just too ugly imo

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
So I just got an S3 last night, upgraded from the original moto droid (yikes what an ancient thing it is in retrospect). The battery seems to be draining a bit fast.....are there any common battery draining things I should look into turning off? Any guides to increasing battery life on the S3?

Also, I have no idea where google now is or what I need to do to install it. Any help??

demon

I am confuse. I hold the home button and then a list of recent apps I've used that I can vertically scroll through comes up, but there's no google icon.

Slizz

So I just got an S3 last night, upgraded from the original moto droid (yikes what an ancient thing it is in retrospect). The battery seems to be draining a bit fast.....are there any common battery draining things I should look into turning off? Any guides to increasing battery life on the S3?

Also, I have no idea where google now is or what I need to do to install it. Any help??

Google Now is Google Search for JB. If you have the search bar widget, just click the Google logo and it brings up a search and Google Now with a little tutorial.

EDIT: There is no app titled "Google Now" it is just part of Google Search.

The JB Google search does more than browse the web it also searches your phone.

demon

Holy shit it's not 4.1.1, the guy at Best Buy said it is. It's like 4.0.something. Currently updating..

-edit- right now it says it's downloading a 400.7mb file. Would that be the jellybean update?

I'm running Lux (adjusts screen brightness) and JuiceDefender (turns off mobile data when not in use), those two made a noticeable difference for me.

VanWinkle

I have a new low. Battery down to 14% and screen time was 1hr6min. WHAT IS HAPPENING. Also what is "media server" under battery usage? it was on standby for over 8 hours whatever it was.

I have a new low. Battery down to 14% and screen time was 1hr6min. WHAT IS HAPPENING. Also what is "media server" under battery usage? it was on standby for over 8 hours whatever it was.

Yeah, battery life for me has been terrible ever since I switched to Jellybean. My phone's been unplugged for five hours (and has probably been in sleep mode for 4h50m) and it's already at 75%.

In other news, why did Jellybean remove mobile date from the notification bar? I don't like having less options whenever I pull down the bar, even though they replaced it with driving mode.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Do you happen to have the Facebook app? I found that to be the cause of the media server thing for me along with a big drain in battery.

MNC

Ugh. Rooted. "Your phone has been altered. Cannot check for updates." Any way around this? Temp unroot doesn't work...

MooMoo

Do you use Google Play Music by any chance? Ever since the JB update I found that a lot of the times when I exit Play Music media server gets stuck in a wake lock. Not quite sure how to resolve it either. Definitely one of the more annoying wake locks in my experience but as always, a restart always fixes the issue. Of course, that doesn't matter so much if it has already done the damage and eaten most of your battery for the day.

Yeah, battery life for me has been terrible ever since I switched to Jellybean. My phone's been unplugged for five hours (and has probably been in sleep mode for 4h50m) and it's already at 75%.

In other news, why did Jellybean remove mobile date from the notification bar? I don't like having less options whenever I pull down the bar, even though they replaced it with driving mode.
Removal of mobile data toggle is another one of my peeves with JB :p 4.1.2 brings the option to customize the toggles but who knows when we'll get that update. Not sure about your battery life problems though. I'm inclined to say it's Google Now + location services but I have those things toggled on and my idle battery life doesn't drain nowhere near as bad as what you're stating. You should give BetterBatteryStats a shot to narrow down what's draining your battery.

MooMoo

is the multi window thingy out for verizon ? or the JB ?
4.1.2 should be the update to look out for for multi-window. Of course, all us US carriers just got 4.1.1 and that took a while to get so your guess is as good as anyone's as far as when we get the next update :p
im on JB 4.1.1 and have the mobile data toggle, I don't know what u lot are saying...
Probably carrier specific. I have ATT and we had the toggle back in ICS but the took it out in JB for some odd reason.

So I was intending on taking advantage of my unlimited data/unlimited tethering plan to do some torrent downloading as the 3G speed I can get is about 3 times faster than my home broadband connection.

Problem is, while uTorrent shows everything is fine and the green checked circle is there, the speeds never go above 20kb/s. All other traffic, including HTTP downloads, hit around 700kb/s, so I'm assuming there's some sort of problem with P2P traffic however I have encryption switched on.

Would love to get it sorted out as it then means I can ditch my shitty Internet provider when our contract expires in June.

alphaNoid

Banned
So I was intending on taking advantage of my unlimited data/unlimited tethering plan to do some torrent downloading as the 3G speed I can get is about 3 times faster than my home broadband connection.

Problem is, while uTorrent shows everything is fine and the green checked circle is there, the speeds never go above 20kb/s. All other traffic, including HTTP downloads, hit around 700kb/s, so I'm assuming there's some sort of problem with P2P traffic however I have encryption switched on.

Would love to get it sorted out as it then means I can ditch my shitty Internet provider when our contract expires in June.

Encryption for P2P torrenting is a joke and might as well not even be an option. Just FYI.. your ISP can see what you're doing. If you want secure connection, VPN into usenet groups. Anything P2P is being monitored and has been for years.

VanWinkle

Did you guys get the e-mail right after you registered and got the "Thanks for registering. You'll receive an e-mail for a bonus" (or something to that effect) message?

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Did you guys get the e-mail right after you registered and got the "Thanks for registering. You'll receive an e-mail for a bonus" (or something to that effect) message?
It took a few minutes for the email to reach me.

Sagitario

if you register your phone on here http://smgm.us/69V

they'll send out a care package in 6-8 weeks. which includes 6 tec tiles and a flip cover color of your choice.

Is it US only? I can't access FB right now.

I got the clipboard not available bug a few weeks ago. It's starting to become a deal breaker. I wonder when the 4.1.2 update will be released for international users :\

Top Bottom