• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S III (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

BIGWORM

Sucks I'm using an extended battery, I won't be able to use the flip cover. I might just randomly give it away here on GAF for the hell of it.

OneEightZero

aka ThreeOneFour
So I'm torn between the AT&T GSIII and the Nexus 4. I can get both without upgrading my contract, though this will cost a lot less than the N4. What do you guys think?

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
So I'm torn between the AT&T GSIII and the Nexus 4. I can get both without upgrading my contract, though this will cost a lot less than the N4. What do you guys think?
I'd say go with the S3. Just read your above post, yeah...S3. That's a big difference in price.

kaskade

I just found out the something really weird . If I put my GS3 to the left of my trackpad on my MBP (Mid 2009 model) it puts it to sleep, or the display at least.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
I just found out the something really weird . If I put my GS3 to the left of my trackpad on my MBP (Mid 2009 model) it puts it to sleep, or the display at least.
It's probably triggering the sensor on your MBP that detects whether or not the display is closed.

BHZ Mayor

I just got one of these, and I'm wondering what you guys would recommend for blocking texts and calls (and voice messages if possible) from numbers not in my contacts.

Gattsu25

Banned
i have one of these for emergencies!

uXNxx.jpg

Super late response but I just ordered this. Thanks, mate.

LowParry

So I'm a proud new owner of the S3. Coming off of a Razor. Good lord. lol - yeah behind the times. But this type of phone if completely lost to me on customs and what not. I just don't know where to begin with this. Is there a site that shows what are the best utility apps out to have for battery life? I'm a little afraid to step into any sort of custom OS but eventually (and probably soon) will want to get into that. So where does a noob begin? Oh and I'm through T Mobile.

Just got the new multitasking update and while I think that's awesome and just another reason that people look at my phone and think "well, god dayum", the keyboard has changed. I had to turn predictive off because I'm sort of used to it autofilling long words but now it just doesn't give a shit about what I want to say. Is there anything I can do about that?

Aye. I have had Swype before and I did like it but I just can't see myself using it on a regular basis. I was brought up on the T9 and I'm yet to find something that can do the same for me. I got over not being able to change songs on my ipod in my pocket when they got rid of the physical buttons at least.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Aye. I have had Swype before and I did like it but I just can't see myself using it on a regular basis. I was brought up on the T9 and I'm yet to find something that can do the same for me. I got over not being able to change songs on my ipod in my pocket when they got rid of the physical buttons at least.
Can't tell you much about stock keyboard since I have SwiftKey. Try that instead?

Maybe while you updated to JB, your keyboard erased all your predictions and must re-learn them?

Phoenix

AT&T, where is my Jelly Bean update?!?!?

I wonder if the carriers realize that behavior like this is what is pushing people to unlocked phones which is a gateway to having people looking at prepaid plans that are substantially cheaper. If I'm already on an unlocked phone - what exactly does AT&T give me? The MVNOs are on the SAME network!

I wonder if the carriers realize that behavior like this is what is pushing people to unlocked phones which is a gateway to having people looking at prepaid plans that are substantially cheaper. If I'm already on an unlocked phone - what exactly does AT&T give me? The MVNOs are on the SAME network!
They don't let the MVNOs on their LTE networks.

MNC

I dropped it

I hate my life

a miniscule bit of glass was chipped

fuck me

What's the best but minimalistic in terms of size (and uglyness) protection for my baby?

Bumper? Flip cover?

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
The battery life on this thing is really aggravating me. I have it on power saver mode, the screen set to turn off after 15 seconds, and I don't think I have any hogs running in the background, and it still loses at least a quarter of its charge over several hours of complete non-use, such as when I go to bed. What the fuck is it doing?

BIGWORM

The battery life on this thing is really aggravating me. I have it on power saver mode, the screen set to turn off after 15 seconds, and I don't think I have any hogs running in the background, and it still loses at least a quarter of its charge over several hours of complete non-use, such as when I go to bed. What the fuck is it doing?

Make sure your auto sync is off. Also, grab Green Power from the play store, which will disable data while screen-off.

yanhero

to everyone who is complaining abou battery life or even has to think about battery life at all in any way: buy a secondary battery. You own a s3 for gods sake, one of its best feature is a removable battery.

Dont buy a portable battery charger, ull regret having to carry the damn thing for 5 hrs straight after ur battery runs out at 3pm. Dont buy an extended battery that bulks up ur phone. The bulk is completely unecessary, screws with cases, n u might still run out of battery by 7pm.

Trust me, i know from expetience carrying a battery pack with my phone for 5 hrs a day during my europe backpacking trip, n my biggeet regret for the trip was using the stupid pack instead of just getting extra batteries. The 10 seconds it takes to swap is much less annoying than havinf to carry a battery pack for the rest of ur day.

Arc

Finally got Jelly Bean. I'm sure its been stated a hundred times, but anything cool/bad I should be aware of (besides Google Now)?

Arc

So relieved to see that the smears are fairly normal. I'm anal about that shit and thought I had a bum screen.

mantidor

I dropped it

I hate my life

a miniscule bit of glass was chipped

fuck me

What's the best but minimalistic in terms of size (and uglyness) protection for my baby?

Bumper? Flip cover?

Well at least you still have it, mine was fucking stolen :( I'll survive, but this sucks.

I'm interested in protection recommendations as well, I'm buying another one anyway and while I usually go naked and the phone handles it well I think I need to conceal the fact I have one, it is not the perfect measure but it is a deterrent against thieves.

Mine eats battery like crazy. Wifi seems to be culprit but no idea what causes it. It drains battery without almost any screen time. Like I had 20 min screen time and it drained the battery in less than a day. No calls, no surfing no nothing as I'm waiting for my SIM card. I have 4.1.1 installed on mine phone and no updates so far

Mine eats battery like crazy. Wifi seems to be culprit but no idea what causes it. It drains battery without almost any screen time. Like I had 20 min screen time and it drained the battery in less than a day. No calls, no surfing no nothing as I'm waiting for my SIM card. I have 4.1.1 installed on mine phone and no updates so far
I disabled the email apps aside from the stock Email app. seems like GMail, Yahoo, Outlook, etc all pull in emails separately outside of Email. Disable Twitter updates except for the twitter app that you use (I use Falcon). Same for Facebook auto-updating. Also, disable Google Talk for all Google accounts and all Samsung data services.

I also went an extra step and use Launcher8 (A windows Phone 8-like launcher app) instead of touchwiz and it seems to save quite a bit of battery over any other launcher.

This thing now lasts almost as long as my Razr Maxx, and I keep wifi/bluetooth enabled all day.

Also, if its eating up only when connected to wifi, do you have any wifi services such as tethering or wifi fileshare/wireless kies enabled? Those services piss battery on wifi. Disable.

Gaaraz

On my battery screen, the blue line is constant unless I go into airplane mode - I installed JuiceDefender which temporarily fixed this, but it's doing it again now

Any ideas please?

(damn this stupid phone...)

OG Kush

Why do you have to root differently for different carriers? As in aren't all S3's the same from the inside? Apart from what I've heard that us people in Europe actually have a better S3?
I've currently got the I9305 model on T-mobile UK. Does it matter if I use a US guide for this?

Why do you have to root differently for different carriers? As in aren't all S3's the same from the inside? Apart from what I've heard that us people in Europe actually have a better S3?
I've currently got the I9305 model on T-mobile UK. Does it matter if I use a US guide for this?

Long story short, international models are quad cores; US are dual cores. Also, Verizon has a weird bootload lock that none of the other carriers have.

If your phone is quad core, do NOT use US guide.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
Ran into a terrible glitch

Media Server process was stuck and it refused to let my phone sleep.

It think it's only happening when I enable call blocking then charge my phone with a computer via USB. The .nomedia trick didn't help. Had to reboot. Works fine now. Not sure if it's happening on other versions but it seems to be a growing problem with 4.1.1

MooMoo

Ran into a terrible glitch

Media Server process was stuck and it refused to let my phone sleep.

It think it's only happening when I enable call blocking then charge my phone with a computer via USB. The .nomedia trick didn't help. Had to reboot. Works fine now. Not sure if it's happening on other versions but it seems to be a growing problem with 4.1.1
I have this problem too, except with Play Music. I only ever catch it now because I notice my music will stop playing by itself. In the rare case that the wake lock still occurs though, I only ever notice because my pants start feeling really warm.

I just got the Galaxy S3 (returned the iPhone 5 for it), are there any battery saving apps recommended? Also im planning on rooting, I wad planning on the paranoid android rom which I believe is a cm10 build. Any reviews on that or recommendations?

BIGWORM

I just got the Galaxy S3 (returned the iPhone 5 for it), are there any battery saving apps recommended? Also im planning on rooting, I wad planning on the paranoid android rom which I believe is a cm10 build. Any reviews on that or recommendations?

Grab Green Power off the Play Store. I've recommended that app a few times in here, already.

Depending on what carrier version you have, you'll have a CM10 or CM10.1 base as far as Paranoid Android is concerned.

*ninja edit* Also, make sure your autosync is off, or else buckle in for constant data polling.

clav

CM10 made my speaker crackle when I used Google Now. Plus, it didn't update the correct location for Google Now.

I think CM10.1 fixed it, but the ROMs is buggy.

I returned to stock since I figured the ROM devs don't have access to the original Samsung drivers for these devices.

I really wish Android had a stock option regardless of what device.

Using Nova Launcher, but that doesn't change the lock screen.
Grab Green Power off the Play Store. I've recommended that app a few times in here, already.

Depending on what carrier version you have, you'll have a CM10 or CM10.1 base as far as Paranoid Android is concerned.

*ninja edit* Also, make sure your autosync is off, or else buckle in for constant data polling.
What about the other battery programs like Easy Battery Saver or Juice Defender?

Top Bottom