• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S III (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Man that has to be terrible that you have update to Jelly Bean through Kies. Any reason why it isn't an OTA update for AT&T?

BIGWORM

CM10 made my speaker crackle when I used Google Now. Plus, it didn't update the correct location for Google Now.

I think CM10.1 fixed it, but the ROMs is buggy.

I returned to stock since I figured the ROM devs don't have access to the original Samsung drivers for these devices.

I really wish Android had a stock option regardless of what device.

Using Nova Launcher, but that doesn't change the lock screen.

What about the other battery programs like Easy Battery Saver or Juice Defender?

I heard Juice Defender is ok, but I don't know if it's worth throwing down the $6 (?) for it. Green Power is a better alternative, imo. Doesn't use much ram, non-paid features are good for battery effeciency, and if you decide to buy it, it's only $2.

If you're looking to change the lockscreen, you can grab Holo Locker from the Play Store. As the name implies, it's a Holo (AOSP) lockscreen.

buhdeh

CM10 made my speaker crackle when I used Google Now. Plus, it didn't update the correct location for Google Now.

I think CM10.1 fixed it, but the ROMs is buggy.

I returned to stock since I figured the ROM devs don't have access to the original Samsung drivers for these devices.

I really wish Android had a stock option regardless of what device.

Using Nova Launcher, but that doesn't change the lock screen.

Yup. I fell for the "just use CM and you get stock Android!" spiel too. CM will never be as stable as the stock ROM... I don't think any release of CM was ever something I'd call reliable during my time with the S3. If you want stock, you pretty much have to go Nexus.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
You guys know any apps that'll let me access my camera from the lock screen? So if I gotta take a quick pic I don't have to go thru the password typing...

Zoe

I have this problem too, except with Play Music. I only ever catch it now because I notice my music will stop playing by itself. In the rare case that the wake lock still occurs though, I only ever notice because my pants start feeling really warm.

Exact same issue. The only way I've found to resolve it is to reboot, so any time the music crashes, I reboot when I'm done listening.

MooMoo

Exact same issue. The only way I've found to resolve it is to reboot, so any time the music crashes, I reboot when I'm done listening.
Yeah, same here. Having to reboot so often sucks =/ Oddly (or maybe not so oddly) enough I didn't have this problem back in ICS. Here's to hoping the next update fixes this problem. Looking forward to 4.1.2 as much as I was looking forward to simply getting JB. Multi-window should be awesome :3

nib95

Banned
Was getting really bad battery life on 4.1.2 since updating. Realised NFC is always on by default. Turned that off and so far it's been back to good.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
I couldn't be happier with that extended battery a member recommended here. I can go for two days without having to charge my phone and I can get like eight to nine hours of screen time all on 4G.

Guys I really have problems with my S3. I lost like 30% in 7 hours standby (while I slept). I've turned almost everything off, except Wi-Fi but it can't be that much of a battery hog.

Anyways I planed on wiping everything and installing latest 4.1.2 update through Odin (just saw a thread on how to do it on xda-developers

Now that build is not made for my phone (Bought mine in Denmark) hopefully it is ok.

But I wonder how do I wipe everything of it?

OG Kush

Whats with the volume being relatively low even with headphones plugged in? As in the highest setting, (15, which is really annoying as well, they should have done atleast 30 intervals for volume, 15 is too low) is decent pretty loud but all mp3 players i've had have gone much louder. Any way to fix this without distorting sound quality?

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
I've owned my S3 for three months now and I'm really satisfied with it. Just want to ask what the benefits of rooting my S3 would be? Which killer apps are root exclusive? Coming from an iOS device I already feel pretty open and free with the stock and locked Samsung firmware.

Went over to the Verizon store today in hopes of getting the S3. And I couldn't, so Verizon did away with the yearly upgrades?

Looks like I'm stuck with the iPhone 4S for 10 more months.

clav

I heard Juice Defender is ok, but I don't know if it's worth throwing down the $6 (?) for it. Green Power is a better alternative, imo. Doesn't use much ram, non-paid features are good for battery effeciency, and if you decide to buy it, it's only $2.

If you're looking to change the lockscreen, you can grab Holo Locker from the Play Store. As the name implies, it's a Holo (AOSP) lockscreen.

I've tried Holo Locker a number of times, but it really is putting lipstick on a pig.

The transitions are not there.

The TouchWiz lock screen sometimes returns resulting in a double lock.

Mapping the home button to the lock screen prevents the Home button unlock but destroys launcher capabilities.

--------------

The TouchWiz camera doesn't allow me zoom out and flick to delete or swipe right to see the last picture and others.

Why is there no stock Google option or an app to download from the Google Store to restore stock options?
Yup. I fell for the "just use CM and you get stock Android!" spiel too. CM will never be as stable as the stock ROM... I don't think any release of CM was ever something I'd call reliable during my time with the S3. If you want stock, you pretty much have to go Nexus.

What sucks about the Nexus is that only the Google Play version directly receives updates from Google. If you bought the carrier branded version, you're outdated (although I don't know if it applies to the Nexus 4 on T-Mobile).

I've tried Holo Locker a number of times, but it really is putting lipstick on a pig.

The transitions are not there.

The TouchWiz lock screen sometimes returns resulting in a double lock.

Mapping the home button to the lock screen prevents the Home button unlock but destroys launcher capabilities.

--------------

The TouchWiz camera doesn't allow me zoom out and flick to delete or swipe right to see the last picture and others.

Why is there no stock Google option or an app to download from the Google Store to restore stock options?

What sucks about the Nexus is that only the Google Play version directly receives updates from Google. If you bought the carrier branded version, you're outdated (although I don't know if it applies to the Nexus 4 on T-Mobile).
you can install the stock aosp camera on the gs3 if you really want to go down that road. i installed it on my gn2 to mess with the photo sphere stuff.

JdFoX187

Banned
So today, out of the blue, my phone decides it's going to start verbally telling me I have an e-mail, or a voicemail. Is there any way to turn this obnoxious voice off?

I heard it messes a lot of things up.

With stock AOSP camera, I'll also need stock AOSP gallery, right?

maybe the first ports did, but there's one that comes with the camera and associated library files, worked pretty flawlessly when i tried it, but i like the Samsung Camera app more.

as for needing the stock Gallery, the Camera/Gallery is one APK. the different Camera and Gallery shortcuts launch into the proper part of the app.

Spinluck

It was out weeks ago.. you have to use Kies. No OTA for AT&T

*edit beaten.. :p

Lol. Thanks, I did this and I am liking a lot of the different features.

Oddly my battery life has actually improved a lot, I was concerned about this since one of the earlier post mentioned how much worse his or hers battery life got.

Fuck kies.

My phone is just contently trying to connect with no success.

I got Kies air to work through the browser and mini program where you can make calls and text, but it wont fucking work through a cable.

Google showed me plenty of people in my situation, but i dont know shit about any drivers or 'true' uninstalls.

Someone help!

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Loving my new S3.......except for the horrific battery life. I've got all the biggies turned off....auto-syncing/wi-fi/gps/etc, screen shutting off quickly, and I'm using GreenPower. It was fully charged, unplugged it, and an hour and a half and a few texts later it's down to 92%. This is bad.

Loving my new S3.......except for the horrific battery life. I've got all the biggies turned off....auto-syncing/wi-fi/gps/etc, screen shutting off quickly, and I'm using GreenPower. It was fully charged, unplugged it, and an hour and a half and a few texts later it's down to 92%. This is bad.

Did you update to Jelly Bean? Cause if you did, its said that if you do a factory reset after updating it should fix your battery life.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Did you update to Jelly Bean? Cause if you did, its said that if you do a factory reset after updating it should fix your battery life.

Ahh dammit, and I got all my apps and shit installed.......

Oh well, thanks for the tip.

BIGWORM

Ehmm, link please.

Anker 4400maH battery with white battery cover:

LINK

Ahh dammit, and I got all my apps and shit installed.......

Oh well, thanks for the tip.

I believe that once you sign back in, the Play Store will redownload all your apps and restore their respective data. Make sure you're connected to WiFi before you sign back in. During initial setup, skip logging in, connect to your wifi, login, and it should start restoring your apps. IMO, best way of restoring apps is through TiBackup. You'll never have to worry about redownloading everything, because all your apps are store locally (unless you backup remote to your Drive or Dropbox account). In order to use TiBackup, you'll need to be rooted.

surly

Banned
Fuck kies.

My phone is just contently trying to connect with no success.

I got Kies air to work through the browser and mini program where you can make calls and text, but it wont fucking work through a cable.

Google showed me plenty of people in my situation, but i dont know shit about any drivers or 'true' uninstalls.

Someone help!
It's not a lot of help, but I ended up having to use a laptop to update the firmware on my phone. On my desktop, Kies worked and the phone would connect, but it would then download the firmware update, the phone would disconnect and reconnect, Kies would say "new firmware available!" and the cycle would continue. It used to work fine, but recent builds just don't seem to work right on my desktop machine.

On another note, here's an annoyance with the latest firmware update and a solution to it: -

Samsung have added a folder of bookmarks to Chrome that can't be deleted. When you fire up Chrome and open your bookmarks, it opens the Samsung folder by default so you have to browse out of that to get to your own bookmarks. Very annoying, especially as this is a new addition. But to fix that, just go into the list of apps and disable this: -

com.android.providers.partnerbookmarks.app

When you restart Chrome, the extra bookmarks folder will be gone.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife

take 2 fingers while the camera is on and bring them together. It took me a few days to figure out how to zoom.

Pinch and Zoom

Spinluck

Lol. Thanks, I did this and I am liking a lot of the different features.

Oddly my battery life has actually improved a lot, I was concerned about this since one of the earlier post mentioned how much worse his or hers battery life got.

Update, my battery life is shit.

Might do a factory reset -___-

marrec

Banned
Nope. Apparently Samsung GAF tells me that TouchWiz camera is the best, and Google doesn't know what they're doing.

Google clearly knows whats up when it comes to getting rid of pics you don't want. I don't much care about swipe to see last taken, but swipe up to delete would be a godsend.

MNC

Battery life is pretty shit. The touchwiz features are holding me back on flashing a new rom though.

marrec

Banned
Finally switched from Touchwiz to Nova. It's so much better. :D
Even bought the premium version.

Any tips on customizing Nova? I have the premium version and while I enjoy it more than TouchWiz I also know that there's so much more that I could be getting out of it...

I'm always terrible at customizing things like that.

Stitch

Gold Member
Any tips on customizing Nova? I have the premium version and while I enjoy it more than TouchWiz I also know that there's so much more that I could be getting out of it...

I'm always terrible at customizing things like that.

Nah, I'm still trying to find the best settings. Tried aggressive desktop but I think it's reloading my Homescreen even more with it on.

Top Bottom