• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S III (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

Spinluck

Are there any keyboards better than SwiftKey?

I believe that once you sign back in, the Play Store will redownload all your apps and restore their respective data. Make sure you're connected to WiFi before you sign back in. During initial setup, skip logging in, connect to your wifi, login, and it should start restoring your apps. IMO, best way of restoring apps is through TiBackup. You'll never have to worry about redownloading everything, because all your apps are store locally (unless you backup remote to your Drive or Dropbox account). In order to use TiBackup, you'll need to be rooted.

Are you sure about this method? Any precautions I should take?

thetechkid

So ever since the update my phone will occasionally get stuck on an app and reboot after freezing for a minute to two, does this happen to anyone else and is there a fix yet/being worked on it?

moojito

First I wanted the s3, then I wanted the nexus 4. Now it's coming close to buying time and it looks like samsung is getting my money due to actually having their phones for sale.

Cipherr

Lieeeeeeeeesssss. You can tell because its heavily derived from the most recent S3 design. The rumor creating, website hit hunting heathens did the same thing last year:

XXZGR.jpg

Taking the design of the S2 and 'jazzing it up' and claiming it was the S3. Then the final design looked nooooooooothing like it.

OneEightZero

aka ThreeOneFour
I'm due for an upgrade on 23 February. I've got a line on selling my 4S with the busted front glass, then I'll have to wait it out on a loaner Blackberry(!) until then.

It's gonna be a sucky month.

MNC

Question: Rooting and testing all kinds of shit.. If I do a factory wipe/reset, does it wipe the photos of the internal SD card as well?

BIGWORM

Are there any keyboards better than SwiftKey?

Are you sure about this method? Any precautions I should take?

Honestly, I'm not 100% on this method, because I never restored my apps using this method. The only method I'm 100% is TiBackup. But, I know that with the latest Play Store it'll automatically start restoring apps if you ask it to do so.

Question: Rooting and testing all kinds of shit.. If I do a factory wipe/reset, does it wipe the photos of the internal SD card as well?

No. You would have to EXPLICITLY select that option inside of your recovery AND confirm it. When you wipe, it only wipes your apps from within your ROM. No data from your SD card, including game data, is wiped.

So has the Jelly bean update borked anyone elses ability to copy large files like videos to the phone through a USB cord. Files that copied over just fine before the JB update now all hang at a couple hundred megs copied and then eventually tell me they can't be copied. This is to the phone memory or to the SD card while it's in the phone.

MNC

Ugh. is there any I9300XXELLA_I9300OXAELLA_BTU.zip mirror that isn't hotfile? It's so fucking slow and takes me 10 hours to download the file. It's the i9300 international S3 4.1.2 ROM.

Liquid_015

Gold Member
Ugh. is there any I9300XXELLA_I9300OXAELLA_BTU.zip mirror that isn't hotfile? It's so fucking slow and takes me 10 hours to download the file. It's the i9300 international S3 4.1.2 ROM.

Hey MNC, I have an International S3 as well. My S3 is currently under service and I was wondering if you need to update to 4.1.1 then to 4.1.2 or can you directly update from 4.0 to 4.1.2?

MNC

Hey MNC, I have an International S3 as well. My S3 is currently under service and I was wondering if you need to update to 4.1.1 then to 4.1.2 or can you directly update from 4.0 to 4.1.2?

AFAIK you can directly upgrade to 4.1.2.

Another question. Can I just flash a new rom through recovery, or do I have to use ODIN?

OG Kush

Does your phone looses 3g connection sometimes? I get "Webpage is not available" a lot. Both with default browser and with Chrome

Have you got juice defender? JD was fucking with my data a lot, even when it said data was on. I switched to green power and no problems so far.

Gattsu25

Banned
Woke up this morning and my phone was super hot with a warning on the screen saying that charging was paused by cause the battery had too high of a temperature.

I instantly pulled out the battery. Hope nothing was damaged :\

alcide

Banned
Had this phone for a while now, and I know loads of other people that have it. Everyone seems to find this phone amazing.

I went from the Samsung Galaxy S original to the international S3, and while the jump was quite impressive but I'm still plagued by the issues from the original phone.

Lag.

This phone still has awful lag, from opening the messaging app, to getting the phone up to pressing the home button. The delay can last over a second, while not game breaking it's really kind of annoying and takes you out of the experience. I was hoping Jelly Bean's project butter would fix this, but tbh it's barely dented the issue.

I didn't notice this before, but after playing with a few more stock android cheaper phones and seeing them blow my S3 out the water in terms of responsiveness, really opened my eyes to this.

Now considering everyone I talk to talks of how smooth and fast theirs is I'm curious as to whether this issue if related to my phone, or they don't really know the difference.

Am I the only one getting this lag on my phone. It's very obviously a result of Samsung's touchwiz software, but I can't figure out if this is my phone or just Samsung.

Raine

The only lag I get on this phone is occasionally from the widgets screen. I know that's a touchwiz problem because it doesn't happen when I tried out Nova launcher...(too bad I still prefer touchwiz :\)

The home button delay can be fixed by going into S-Voice settings and disabling it, if that's what you're referring to

alcide

Banned
The home button delay can be fixed by going into S-Voice settings and disabling it, if that's what you're referring to

First thing I did when I got the phone. The lag is system wide.

The worst been in the messaging application. It can take 1-1.5sec to get all the contact names over the numbers and 1-2 contact pictures loaded.

Project Butter promised 60fps with triple buffering etc, that is also not present on my 4.1.1 Samsung Galaxy S3

:(

reKon

Banned
First thing I did when I got the phone. The lag is system wide.

The worst been in the messaging application. It can take 1-1.5sec to get all the contact names over the numbers and 1-2 contact pictures loaded.

Project Butter promised 60fps with triple buffering etc, that is also not present on my 4.1.1 Samsung Galaxy S3

:(

That's gotta be something with your phone..

I notice that the menu button will lag whenever I press it on any of my home screens. It's not an issue within the apps themselves, but for some reason there's a delay when just navigating my phone.

I still love my phone, but issues like this are fairly annoying.

Raine

Is there a general "disable" setting? All I can see is unchecking each function individually.

When you go into the S-voice settings, you should see "Open via the home key" just uncheck that.

If you're asking if you can disable all the S voice functions altogether, no I don't believe there is setting for that unfortunately. But you can disable the whole app if you'd like.

MNC

MNC, so which official stock rom should I download? Because I have an GT-I9300 unbranded without any carrier.
Where do you live? Www.sammobile.com has alot of firmware info and the latest versions. Otherwise, just look for an international i9300 4.1.2 rom; it should contain all languages.

Ugh. Im giving up dolphin browser beta. Buttom clicks dont register half the time and the only load pictures in wifi is broken as fuck and is making me use up alot of data. Regular dolphins pinch to zoom doesnt work... Any good alternatives? Chrome? :/

Hey guys, so I just got my SIII and I'm really impressed with it. However, I never got a screen protector or case with it because I'd watched some videos on YT of people taking knives to the screen and them having no effect.

Now I'm hearing horror stories of even some change in a pocket scratching the screens, so I think I'm in the market for a screen protector and possibly a case.

My question is: what is the best screen protector for money I can get in Canada? Same question for a case.

Thanks for the help, in advance!

Hey guys, so I just got my SIII and I'm really impressed with it. However, I never got a screen protector or case with it because I'd watched some videos on YT of people taking knives to the screen and them having no effect.

Now I'm hearing horror stories of even some change in a pocket scratching the screens, so I think I'm in the market for a screen protector and possibly a case.

My question is: what is the best screen protector for money I can get in Canada? Same question for a case.

Thanks for the help, in advance!

I got my phone in August/September, didn't bother with a screen protector, and it still looks brand new. That being said, it's the only thing I'll keep in my pocket (no change, wallet, keys, what have you; those are for my other pockets), so that helped a bunch.

However I did get a case for it, but one that only covers the back and sides of the phone (recommended by a fellow gaffer, no less). I found that a screen protector is absolutely unnecessary with this phone provided you take good care of it.

Knock on wood I don't immediately scratch/drop my phone after posting this.

Addnan

I think I will pick one up this weekend since I can get a decent deal on one. Still not sure what colour to go with.

Really torn between blue or white.

Or does anyone have the titanium version? How does it look in real life. It will cost me a bit more though.

Addnan

Titanium Grey is Master Race, but if you're going to stick it in a case anyways the color isn't that important.

I never use case :D. My iPhone after almost two years still looks new.

I wish you didn't say its master race though, should have said its ugly :p. Now I want to spend an extra £60 for it. :/

OG Kush

I think I will pick one up this weekend since I can get a decent deal on one. Still not sure what colour to go with.

Really torn between blue or white.

Or does anyone have the titanium version? How does it look in real life. It will cost me a bit more though.
I have titanium grey and my god is it beautifical. Costs more as its got better specs.

snap0212

However I did get a case for it, but one that only covers the back and sides of the phone (recommended by a fellow gaffer, no less). I found that a screen protector is absolutely unnecessary with this phone provided you take good care of it.

Knock on wood I don't immediately scratch/drop my phone after posting this.
I have a couple of really tiny scratches on my phone already but I'm not sure how they got there. I always keep it in a leather case but they somehow got there. I never carry keys in my pockets or stuff like that.

Not saying that's the case for everyone but I wanted to chime in because I had a different experience. I got screen protectors now (cheap ones) and one of those flip cases and hope I can avoid scratches that way. :(

buhdeh

I have a couple of really tiny scratches on my phone already but I'm not sure how they got there. I always keep it in a leather case but they somehow got there. I never carry keys in my pockets or stuff like that.

Not saying that's the case for everyone but I wanted to chime in because I had a different experience. I got screen protectors now (cheap ones) and one of those flip cases and hope I can avoid scratches that way. :(

Yep if you care about scratches you should have a screen protector. My friend had an S3 and had the flip cover but still somehow got scratches on the front screen. My Nexus 4 is gorilla glass 2 as well and also has scratches. These things are way weaker than the iPhone glass.

Top Bottom