• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S III (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

Sliver

Alright, this is going to be a straight up retarded question but I don't know where else to ask. Say I want to buy a white Galaxy S3 and use my existing contract with Verizon, and I know I have to buy the phone separate to keep my unlimited data. So where can I buy one? This one is said to be tied to AT&T? What does that mean, I thought these came without contracts? Ugh.

So basically my question is where can I buy a white S3 and how do I transfer over my info and contract?

You buy the phone at the Verizon store. You just tell them you want the phone straight up and then have it activated on your existing line. You can't buy an International Galaxy SIII (GT-i9300) for Verizon, it won't work since it doesn't have support for CDMA.

Assuming your existing device runs Android, all your contacts should be backed up in Google's cloud. The Play Store knows what apps you have installed on your phone too, so when you activate your new phone and log your Google account in, it will start downloading and installing all your apps for you in addition to syncing all your contacts and calendar and stuff.

vilmer_

My 3 year contract runs out in a couple months, and I will be saying seeee ya to my old 3gs and picking up one of these puppies. Can't wait!

Dawg

Just got my S3 in Belgium. Price was €199 with a contract of €20/month for two years (1GB 3G, 10K sms and 2,5hr calls).

Normal price of the contract (without a phone) is €15 + Samsung is offering a €100 cashback till march. Pretty sweet deal imo :D

img_05321pojec.jpg

MNC

Just got my S3 in Belgium. Price was €199 with a contract of €20/month for two years (1GB 3G, 10K sms and 2,5hr calls).

Normal price of the contract (without a phone) is €15 + Samsung is offering a €100 cashback till march. Pretty sweet deal imo :D

wtf. I had to pay 179€, for a contract that is 16/26€ a month, 250MB, 100SMS/100minutes calls. WHICH PROVIDER?!

RBH

There's also a small bit of T-Mobile hardware news this evening. T-Mobile CTO Neville Ray revealed to The Verge that his operator is planning to release a new version of the Samsung Galaxy S III that will feature support for T-Mobile's upcoming 4G LTE network. Details on the new model are light, and it's not known if it'll gain a new spot on T-Mobile's shelves or if T-Mo will simply swap out the non-LTE model for the LTE-enabled one. Ray also confirmed that the Galaxy Note II already contains support for T-Mobile's LTE network and that it'll require only a "small" update to enable LTE connectivity once the network goes live.
http://www.phonedog.com/2013/01/08/...-data-hd-voice-and-new-galaxy-s-iii-with-lte/

Nakazato

Anyone else getting shit battery life after jellybean? I had my phone at 100 bat before i went to sleep i woke up it was dead. Anyway to fix this?

this_guy

Anyone else getting shit battery life after jellybean? I had my phone at 100 bat before i went to sleep i woke up it was dead. Anyway to fix this?

I've had this a couple of times. For whatever reason Google Maps was the culprit (probably something to do with Google Now), so I would just manually stop the program or restart the phone to clear it out. I have the Sprint GS3.

methodman

Banned
I'm trying to get way more organized this year, not a new years resolution but an actual choice I wanna make. What's some good to do apps or task apps. Should I just use Google calendar? I don't use anything right now.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
For anyone that flashes roms:

If I get a newer build of the same rom (i.e. SynergyROM), I don't have to do a data wipe?

Not unless the framework of the OS changes.

Example: You can flash any sense or touchwiz rom with another rom with the same base but you can't go from a sense based rom to a vanilla based rom without a wipe.

moojito

I'm really wary of someone grabbing my phone when on public transport or whatever, so a wrist strap connector case is one of the main reasons I'd get one, I think.

BIGWORM

I'm really wary of someone grabbing my phone when on public transport or whatever, so a wrist strap connector case is one of the main reasons I'd get one, I think.

That element case wrist strap is a quick-release--I doubt that's gonna stop someone from yanking it out of your hand.

Exuro

Picked this up after having regret/disappointment with a lumia. This is my first smart phone and I'm pretty surprised how much "computer" is in this. It's taking me a while to get the hang of things, but the coolest thing I've done so far is connect a wiimote + classic controller to it. I'm pretty happy/excited. There's just so much to do, I get pretty lost(in a good way).

inm8num2

I'm looking to get a case. Something on the cheaper side but with a bit of protection. Narrowed it down to these:

Acase Superleggera

Incipio Silicrylic

Diztronic TPU case

I don't want to add much bulk, but at the same time I see no point in using a flimsy $5 case which offers little to no drop protection. Anybody have a strong recommendation among these three, or for another I haven't listed? Thanks.

MNC

Hmm. Probably best to pick up a bumper as well. But the phone looks so not-sexy in a case :/

I'm looking to get a case. Something on the cheaper side but with a bit of protection. Narrowed it down to these:

Acase Superleggera

Incipio Silicrylic

Diztronic TPU case

I don't want to add much bulk, but at the same time I see no point in using a flimsy $5 case which offers little to no drop protection. Anybody have a strong recommendation among these three, or for another I haven't listed? Thanks.

Do these cases keep things in check like the fact that the Note 2/S3's glass screen is slightly curved upward (which is the reason it can break more easily) so the bumper is higher up than the glass, for instance?

I lost my first S3 and so rather than hold out with a shit phone for the next 2 years, I went and re-bought it for a small fortune and so thought a case would be necessary just to make sure I didn't damage this one. I held out for a month and whaddyaknow, I scratched the screen a little bit. I ended up getting this for £7 and it's due to arrive any day now. What do people think?

Juppa Leather case

gate777

Ok. I may be stupid but I can't seem to insert the micro sim card. I watched videos online to see if I'm doing something wrong, but I'm not. I can't get it to "click" in place, it just keeps popping back up. The SD card clicks in no problem. Help?

Addnan

Sad right now, went to a EE store looking for the titanium S3 they only had it on Orange, need it on tmobile.

Oh well ordered it online, should be here some time next week.

BIGWORM

I lost my first S3 and so rather than hold out with a shit phone for the next 2 years, I went and re-bought it for a small fortune and so thought a case would be necessary just to make sure I didn't damage this one. I held out for a month and whaddyaknow, I scratched the screen a little bit. I ended up getting this for £7 and it's due to arrive any day now. What do people think?

Juppa Leather case

I like those "All-in-one" cases. I have a very limited wardrobe (read: no pants), so I'm wearing gym shorts most of the time, and it's nice to not have to carry a wallet around and have everything I need readily available next to my phone.

I like those "All-in-one" cases. I have a very limited wardrobe (read: no pants), so I'm wearing gym shorts most of the time, and it's nice to not have to carry a wallet around and have everything I need readily available next to my phone.

I hadn't actually intended on using it as a wallet and was more likely gonna just throw a photo in there or something, I might give it a go and see how I feel after a week. I enjoy having a dedicated wallet as much as having a wristwatch and so I'm not sure what the initial feeling will be but I can definitely imagine that I'll always know where it is as it combines the 2 most important things in my pocket and that feeling of security might tempt me in.

There's no chance of the magnet in the clasp doing any crazy techno-voodoo to my screen is there?

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Ever since I updated to Jelly Bean, whenever I try to connect my phone to my laptop via USB...my laptop doesn't recognize it anymore so I can't transfer anything! What's wrong!?

Also, why can't I transfer my apps to the SD card!?

Top Bottom