• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S III (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

For the past 12 hours or so, my phone has been listed as "awake" on the battery graph, even though wi-fi and the screen were turned off. Any idea why the sudden change? It didn't used to be like this.

EDIT: As reference,

ExxMn.png

Notice how the phone used to be awake only occasionally. Obviously something happened that changed that for the worse.

saunderez

For the past 12 hours or so, my phone has been listed as "awake" on the battery graph, even though wi-fi and the screen were turned off. Any idea why the sudden change? It didn't used to be like this.

EDIT: As reference,

Notice how the phone used to be awake only occasionally. Obviously something happened that changed that for the worse.

Install BetterBatteryStats, see what is causing all the wakelocks. You'll probably have to uninstall or disable whatever it is, I've never found a way to actually fix these things without the app dev doing it himself.

Zoe

Google Music does that to me when it freezes. Even if you get it started again, you have to reboot to actually clear the wakelock.

Because Samsung doesn't allow it :(

Ordered a Anker 4400mAh battery from amazon. I hope it's good lol.

it's more complicated than that. they set up their partitions is a pretty strange way to ensure the best space usage and backwards compatibility with old apps, some of which basically need to have a sdcard partition present.

the full amount of available user space cn be used for apps, and you can have your music/video/images stored on the SD. Google's solution is no SD card at all!

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Google Music does that to me when it freezes. Even if you get it started again, you have to reboot to actually clear the wakelock.
I ran into this problem for the first time a few days ago. It would drain my battery so fast and "media server" would be the main thing with the highest percent in drain when I looked at my battery stats. Figured it would be a one day thing, but Google Play Music froze on me again and it had the same effect. I basically ended up putting my music into my SD card and haven't had any issue anymore.

Stitch

Gold Member
Google's solution is no SD card at all!

Yes, that's why I didn't get the Nexus 4. I need space for my mp3s :D

Just got the Anker battery. Damn, my phone is huge now. But still sexy haha :D

It's good. On AOSP, I was at 80% after 11.5 hours off battery and 1.5 hours of screen-on time. :-D

Sounds good. Should be great for Puzzle & Dragons and Plague Inc. They drain my battery way too fast. :>

Ever since I updated to Jelly Bean, whenever I try to connect my phone to my laptop via USB...my laptop doesn't recognize it anymore so I can't transfer anything! What's wrong!?

My computer will recognize and say it's connected, but I can not actually write anything to the SD card or the Phone any more. If I want to send anything to it I have to take the SD card out and use it in a card reader.

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
I'm on CM 10.1 and when I have lockscreen security turned on the storage isn't available, did you guys check that? I assume is the same for stock 4.1

AndyD

aka andydumi
I ran into this problem for the first time a few days ago. It would drain my battery so fast and "media server" would be the main thing with the highest percent in drain when I looked at my battery stats. Figured it would be a one day thing, but Google Play Music froze on me again and it had the same effect. I basically ended up putting my music into my SD card and haven't had any issue anymore.

Indeed. It's only the latest version that came out a week or so ago. I imagine it will be fixed soon.

RuGalz

So my GF has AT&T version of GS3 on stock JB. Everyday, during her travel to work, she goes through areas where she can't get reception. However, what we have noticed is that it takes forever for her phone to get 4G connection back after she re-enters areas with reception. The worst part is that even though she can get data connection back, we typically have to reset the radios for the GPS to be able to get a lock in maps or navigation programs afterward. Anyone else has the issue? I've never seen that problem on my VZW GS3.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Indeed. It's only the latest version that came out a week or so ago. I imagine it will be fixed soon.
I'll keep an eye for an update since it only started to recently happen to me. I don't think I'll go back to it if it continues...it's really annoying having to constantly deal with the freezes. Poweramp is where it's at for me at the moment.

My computer will recognize and say it's connected, but I can not actually write anything to the SD card or the Phone any more. If I want to send anything to it I have to take the SD card out and use it in a card reader.
My computer recognizes it as a "camera" and the list of suggested programs to open are photoshop...

I have to do the exact same thing you do. Sucks, man. I didn't have any problems when it had ICS.

BIGWORM

I haven't hooked up my phone directly to my computer since I ODINed it. I suggest you guys connect wirelessly through a file explorer like ES File Manager or Solid Explorer.

dokish

Banned
When my S3 is connected to the charger after it's been charged fully to 100%, every few minutes the screen turns on with the "charging complete" sound (until the 30 second screen time out). It does this for the entire night and it's annoying as hell.

Does anyone know how to get rid of that?
This is a few pages old and I dont think anybody answered. Id like to know this aswell.

Troll

Banned
I'll post this here too

Guys, on the GS3 when I'm listening to music while working out all of a sudden it mutes itself after about 30 minutes saying something about damaging my ears. How do I turn that off?

StuKen

This is a few pages old and I dont think anybody answered. Id like to know this aswell.

Happened on mine a while back. Turns out there was a small bit of pocket lint built up at the back of the usb connection. With the loose enough pins on the charger it was failing to make constant contact while charging hence the wakes to inform you of charging cycles. A toothpick and some canned air fixed it.

Addnan

Does anyone use Sony Music unlimited? Trying to set it up on my S3 and it says setting up for first time use and then just stops at 69% with a network error.

My computer recognizes it as a "camera" and the list of suggested programs to open are photoshop...

I have to do the exact same thing you do. Sucks, man. I didn't have any problems when it had ICS.

I hope it's fixed soon, but who the hell do you write to, to let them know its broken.

Lucario

Does anyone use Sony Music unlimited? Trying to set it up on my S3 and it says setting up for first time use and then just stops at 69% with a network error.

Yeah. Works for me, but the service is still far buggier than spotify or... well, any other comparable service.

Addnan

I may have found my problem.

Planned Maintenance

We will be performing maintenance on Sony Entertainment Network from 17/01/2013 (16:00 GMT) to 18/01/2013 (04:00 GMT).

During this time you will not be able to access any of our services including Music Unlimited, Video Unlimited, Sony Entertainment Network Store and PlayStation®Network.

We apologise for any inconvenience caused.

Regards

Sony Team

kaskade

When you say group text, do you mean sending a text to a bunch of people at once?

That I know how to do. But apparently with his phone (and iPhones) if someone sends a text with multiple recipients it'll create a separate conversation and the replied message will be sent back to all those people. With this phone it just sends it to the original sender, not all the people it was sent to.

It's pretty useful for setting up something with a few people as they can all reply to the messages. Think of it like a chat room.

Toki767

That I know how to do. But apparently with his phone (and iPhones) if someone sends a text with multiple recipients it'll create a separate conversation and the replied message will be sent back to all those people. With this phone it just sends it to the original sender, not all the people it was sent to.

It's pretty useful for setting up something with a few people as they can all reply to the messages. Think of it like a chat room.

Ah, yeah, download Handcent and enable group messaging on there.

kaskade

Well after a bit of research it seems like group mms is available in 4.2 but who knows when we will get that. I wonder if I could install the 4.2 messaging app and get it to work (kind of doubt it though).

moojito

I'm picking up my s3 today! The postman tried to deliver it yesterday, but I was at work. I'm like a kid on Christmas morning, here, waiting for his parents to get up.

I said this a couple of pages ago, but fuck Kies so much.

Full reinstall and reboot and i still cant get this pos software to connect to my gs3.

Is it my computer? If i try to do this at work, will it recognize it then maybe? So bullshit a phone this popular is only getting 4.1 through this fucking program.

Having a really weird issue with CM10.1 nightlies. After a while every time I press the home button it registers as a long press and brings up the task switcher instead of returning to the home screen. It also causes certain apps to register touch inputs on the screen as long presses. For example I won't be able to turn pages on the kindle app, but rather text will be highlighted as if i'm holding down on the screen. Fucking weird and I have no idea whats causing it but it's been an issue ever since I switched to 10.1. Rebooting the phone clears it up but after a while it starts happening again

Toki767

I said this a couple of pages ago, but fuck Kies so much.

Full reinstall and reboot and i still cant get this pos software to connect to my gs3.

Is it my computer? If i try to do this at work, will it recognize it then maybe? So bullshit a phone this popular is only getting 4.1 through this fucking program.

Are you on AT&T? They just pushed the update out OTA. Go to Settings > About device > Software Update.

aparisi2274

QQ... Is the S4 release still expected around April? trying to find some info on it, but I have no idea what is true and what is BS...

Addnan

Anyone use a third party email client, if so which is the best. In the normal client there doesn't seem to be an option to push outlook accounts. I get push with my university email through it, but Live mail/Outlook doesn't seem to have the option.

edit: set it up as a MS exchange activesync and now its pushing.

BIGWORM

Anyone use a third party email client, if so which is the best. In the normal client there doesn't seem to be an option to push outlook accounts. I get push with my university email through it, but Live mail/Outlook doesn't seem to have the option.

edit: set it up as a MS exchange activesync and now its pushing.

By far and wide, K-9 Mail is the best 3rd party email app.

Top Bottom