• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S III (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

cC3go.jpg

Cipherr

Oh maaaaaaaaaaaan they kept the gorgeous multitask pane from stock Android with the cards

X53X7.png

Whyyyyyyyyy HTC whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.

AngryMoth

I do wish they'd stop making these phones so big, or at least have flagship phones at smaller sizes. I know there are people that appreciate the larger screens, but c'mon nearly 5 inches now, its getting a bit ridiculous.

Cipherr

I do wish they'd stop making these phones so big, or at least have flagship phones at smaller sizes. I know there are people that appreciate the larger screens, but c'mon nearly 5 inches now, its getting a bit ridiculous.

iPhone might be your only saving grace there is thats your preference tbh. Even RIM's upcoming smartphone is like 4.4 inches or something, lol.

You know, I actually wouldn't mind HTC's multitasking thing if they didn't angle the windows.

To me it just seems less efficient for no reason. The stock mode allows like 3 or 4 apps on screen at a time. HTC's is just one. I cannot even think of any reason why they would do that.

nib95

Banned

Bezel is much thinner though, so I doubt it's much real world size difference. Honestly, for me the size is perfect.

A good hands on is over at engadget: http://www.engadget.com/2012/05/03/samsung-galaxy-s-iii-preview-hands-on/

Your gonna get this over the Evo 4G? Im thinking the opposite, I still have time to decide though.

the only thing that HTC has is a kickstand. everything else is better in #tgeltaayehxnx.

It'll never win a beauty contest with seams like that!

good thing i want an smartphone and not a dixie cup!

Oh maaaaaaaaaaaan they kept the gorgeous multitask pane from stock Android with the cards

http://i.imgur.com/X53X7.png

Whyyyyyyyyy HTC whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.

one more for the good guys. but hey, at least you can just flash a custom rom on the HTC to fix th...

nib95

Banned
Gizmodo wraps up some of the software features nicely.

http://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2012/05/samsung-galaxy-s-iii-meet-the-new-android-emperor/

Gizmodo said:
Android Tweaks

As mentioned before, Samsung’s overhauled ICS with some nifty new TouchWiz tricks. These include:

- Smart Stay, which uses the forward-facing camera to determine if you’re looking at the phone. You can set time intervals from as little as 15 seconds, which result in a small flashing eye logo in the Android notification bar. If it recognises that your eyes aren’t focused on the phone anymore, the screen dims.

- Direct Call, which will auto-dial a contact if you have their contact details or a message open. By moving the phone to your ear, the proximity sensor; accelerometer and gyroscope all kick into use, and automatically dial the contact’s number.
- Smart Alert, which will make the phone vibrate in your hand and flash an LED if you pick the phone up after a missed call.

- S Voice, which is a Siri-like voice recognition feature, that you can use to enquire about the weather; take a photo (“Hi Galaxy, please take a photo” to open the camera app, or “cheese” to snap it), and other tasks such as locking the phone, or controlling music. Each demand can be configured by the user.

- Social Tag, which links photos of friends in your photo gallery to their Facebook or Google+ accounts, using facial recognition.

- S Beam, which pairs other Galaxy S III phones (and only them, for now) via NFC, shares photos, videos, files or even albums of media over Wi-Fi. If your friend’s S III doesn’t have Wi-Fi enabled, S Beam will automatically turn that user’s Wi-Fi on, and then off.

- AllShare Cast, which pairs to TVs, laptops or tablets over Wi-Fi, mirroring whatever’s on the S III. You can also use the S III as a game controller.

- PopUp Play, which will literally pop a video out of its player, rendering it in a small thumbnail so you can continue watching while surfing the web or doing other functions on the phone. The thumbnail is movable around the display, even if it’s pretty small.

Circle T

iPhone might be your only saving grace there is thats your preference tbh. Even RIM's upcoming smartphone is like 4.4 inches or something, lol.

To me it just seems less efficient for no reason. The stock mode allows like 3 or 4 apps on screen at a time. HTC's is just one. I cannot even think of any reason why they would do that.

Well, technically there are 3 shown. It will center on one, with two others half-shown to either side. You don't need to center the app to interact with it. Those side apps can be tapped on, or closed, just like the middle one can, albeit with only half of their screenshot showing.

alternade

Im liking the soft curves of the phone. Definitely doesn't look as utilitarian as the S2. Touchwiz isnt that bad guys and ive grown accustomed to it. That said I do wihs they had taken more design cues from Holo and ICS in general(Green is so gross plastered everywhere).

Spec wise its what I was expecting. The screen is a bit of a let down but, unless you plan to hold your phone .5" from your face, Pentile shoulndt be an issuse.

Cipherr

one more for the good guys. but hey, at least you can just flash a custom rom on the HTC to fix th...

Cold blooded. Thats ok though. Ill have my LCD2 right guys?

guys...?

Well, technically there are 3 shown. It will center on one, with two others half-shown to either side. You don't need to center the app to interact with it. Those side apps can be tapped on, or closed, just like the middle one can, albeit with only half of their screenshot showing.

Really? Well now that is much better. Im giving my team 1 point for that one.

Toki767

The important question regarding those new software additions: Can I turn them off? Having the mic and camera on at all times seems like a big battery drain.

Jeff-DSA

I have a GSII and love it. It's a shame that this has a pentile screen. That's a dealbreaker for me. I'll wait longer to upgrade my phone. I really don't have the upgrade itch because this GSII is awesome, but the GSIII had me excited until I saw the screen.

Bad move, Samsung.

zewone

Really glad I pre-ordered the One X.

Samsung's cheap plastic phones are played our. They need something new.

And PenTile? Blagh.

Bezel is much thinner though, so I doubt it's much real world size difference. Honestly, for me the size is perfect.

That is awesome, Didn't' think I'd see the GN screen get dwarfed so easily.

(Devices for giants don't count)

seriously, DAT SCREEN DIFFERENCE

BUT WAIT, THERE'S MORE

Galaxy Nexus
135.5mm x 67.9mm x 8.9mm @ 135g

Galaxy S III
136.6mm x 70.6mm x 8.6mm @ 133g

barely any larger.

pxleyes

Banned
What a total dud. Samsung spiraling the design drain. No originality, more direct stealing from Apple, and absolutely horrid material decisions.

nib95

Banned
All this malarkey about Pentile screens, I bet most of you couldn't even tell the difference unless you actually had your eye right up close or used magnification.

If I hadn't read the Galaxy Nexus was Pentile, I wouldn't have even known the difference, and I compared it with a Note and my 4S and felt it had the best screen of all 3.

What a total dud. Samsung spiraling the design drain. No originality, more direct stealing from Apple, and absolutely horrid material decisions.

Lol wut? To be fair, in a way it's good they didn't go Apple style on design materials with glass etc. At least this way you know if you drop your phone it's not instant bye bye. The 4S/4 design whilst beautiful, is a hazard that has to be cased up for safety. At least with the S3 you can leave it un-cased.

Blackhead

Redarse
I have a GSII and love it. It's a shame that this has a pentile screen. That's a dealbreaker for me. I'll wait longer to upgrade my phone. I really don't have the upgrade itch because this GSII is awesome, but the GSIII had me excited until I saw the screen.

Bad move, Samsung.

were you at the event?

Jeff-DSA

All this malarkey about Pentile screens, I bet most of you couldn't even tell the difference unless you actually had your eye right up close or used magnification.

If I hadn't read the Galaxy Nexus was Pentile, I wouldn't have even known the difference, and I compared it with a Note and my 4S and felt it had the best screen of all 3.

I'm really sensitive to the pentile effect. Maybe it's because I have 20/15 vision, I don't know. Whatever it is, I see the difference. I'd rather have a lower res screen with S-AMOLED+ tech than go with a higher res screen using pentile.

Greyface said:
were you at the event?

Ok, until I saw the screen tech.

Circle T

Really? Well now that is much better. Im giving my team 1 point for that one.

Yep. The stock ICS multitasker will still show more apps, and more clearly, but if you're just flipping between a few apps, the HTC one isn't really a bother. I do like the stock ICS "Fade Over" presentation better though. It feels much more like a task switcher. HTC's, while functional, feels a bit like you are launching an app.... just to switch apps.

giga

S voice is an app? Would have expected it to be integrated into the system, for access at all times.

gs3pre32eng.jpg

pxleyes

Banned
Hyperbole much?

How so?

- Siri copied almost directly, even the microphone icon is the same style.
- Plastics instead of metal, not even a decent polycarbonate.
- TouchWiz here to ruin what was a beautiful OS
- Hardware buttons that go against the design scheme of ICS
- Pentile, enough said.

Jeff-DSA

How so?

- Pentile, enough said.

First of all, Android had voice commands before Siri was baked into iOS. This is just further evolution of it. Voice stuff kinda sucks anyway, so whatever.

Plastic? Fine with me. I've had metal and plastic phones. By far the GSII has been my favorite build.

TouchWiz can be hidden easily, as I've done on my GSII.

Hardware buttons are all over the place! I can barely see the screen!

Pentile does suck, for me anyway. For many, it's no issue at that high of a resolution.

nib95

Banned
How so?

- Pentile, enough said.

1. Android already had it's version of Siri. Apple ripped Android off but just marketed it better and tweaked it slightly. And the icon? Really?

2. It is a polycarbonate.

3. Looks beautiful? You haven't even used it on the S3?

4. They amended the software to basically mimic it only now with more screen coverage.

5. Exaggerated point with little real world difference.

6. Your points fail miserably.

My guess is Apple fan who was never even interested in this device anyway. But who knows.

Doopliss

yeah, holding home brings up multitasking like previous galaxy phones. The layout makes more sense for hardware keys than the One X, and I guess it's for the best because it'll be familiar to owners of other international Samsung phones.

Google wants to kill the dedicated menu button because hidden functionality is unintuitive. Having one on this phone gives devs one less reason to update their apps to follow the ICS guidelines.

Jeff-DSA

Unique in its usage. I guess some people are fine the lack of creativity, but I find it lazy and sad.

Give me a break. That's been an overused icon on the Internet for a long, long time. Go look up a podcast directory. You'll see 100 shows using that in their logos. Apple didn't invent the usage of that style of icon.

For crying out loud, people.

tino

Banned
The 2100mAh removable battery and the pop-up play feature are really impressive.

Otherwise everything else is like what's predicted.

I am surprised Samsung let HTC use the superior SLCD screen. I guess they can't produce as many SLCD screen to satisfy the demand of SIII.

Top Bottom